Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th February 2017, 14:09   #1
BHPian

Tesla Model S P100D: Earth-shattering 1247 Nm of torque on the dyno

Tesla Model S P100D | Earth-shattering 1247Nm of torque on Dyno!

To say that the Tesla Model S has shattered preconceived notions that electric cars are boring is be a massive understatement!
Here's why:
Quote:
In range-topping P100D guise with Ludicrous Plus mode, the Tesla Model S is officially the fastest accelerating vehicle currently on sale, capable of out-pacing multi-million dollar hypercars. But just how powerful is the car?

Well, Tesla itself doesn’t quote an official horsepower number due to the difficulty of measuring the specific horsepower output of an electric motor. Thankfully, the guys at Drag Times have done the hard work for us and found out first hand.

Quote:
When they strapped a Model S P100D Ludicrous Plus to the dyno, it pumped out a rather insane 588 hp at all four wheels and even more impressively, 920 lb-ft (1,247 Nm) of torque. That second figure is why the car can hit 60 mph (96 km/h) in a remarkable 2.28 seconds. It also sounds like a jet at full throttle.
Hit me up Tesla, I want one!

Source:Carscoops

Last edited by LoneTraveller : 24th February 2017 at 14:10.
LoneTraveller is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 24th February 2017, 16:44   #2
BHPian

re: Tesla Model S P100D: Earth-shattering 1247 Nm of torque on the dyno

Awesome, awesome car. They have reinvented the wheel.

From Autonomous driving to insane amount of power and torque, it's what cars would've been 20-30 years from now.
Makes Ferrari and Lamborghini look like wimps.

I mean, 0-100 in 2.something seconds..that's literally ludicrous. Tesla is doing what the first generation iPhone did to all other "smartphones".

Hope it comes to India soon. And hope they introduce some new model priced along the lines of a BMW 3 Series so that mere mortals like us can buy it someday..

Last edited by The Brutailer : 24th February 2017 at 16:51.
The Brutailer is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th February 2017, 17:20   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Tesla Model S P100D: Earth-shattering 1247 Nm of torque on the dyno

That's quicker than Schumacher's favourite car

Unreal. And this is with zero emissions, space for a full family, everyday practicality, adherence to all regulations (safety etc.) and max torque at zero rpm .

Tesla continues to make electric cars 'cool'.
GTO is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 25th February 2017, 01:21   #4
BHPian

Amazing!!! 558 HP at wheels and a mind blowing 1247 NM of torque from an electric car is an engineering marvel from Tesla. Kudos to those engineers at Tesla for making an electric car with such kind of insane power and performance.
TorqueTwist is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2017, 14:06   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Motortrend has always advocated that Tesla underquotes their acceleration numbers.

When the Ludicrous mode was originally launched in the P90D, Tesla claimed an 0-60 mph acceleration figure of 2.8 seconds. Motortrend testing were able to achieve the benchmark figure at 2.6 seconds.

With Faraday future nipping at its heels with a figure of 2.39 seconds, Elon Musk speculated he could meet the figure of 2.39 and even best it at 2.34 seconds with an Easter Egg update. Motortrend even offered to validate this with track testing.

With the update up and running, Motortrend test runs were able to achieve a 0-60 Acceleration in 2.275507139 seconds besting any production car. Interesting read from Motortrend as hey explain a Jerk factor which is rate of change of acceleration and provide comparisons with the the latest hypercars.

Motortrend Tests Tesla Model S P100D with Easter Egg

Elon musk for sure does not shoot out of his mouth. It seems he also has some good friends backing him up in publication business.
Had reported in another forum the story behind the acceleration run of Tesla P100D done by Motortrend.

Frank Markus - Technical Director at Motortrend has done a short article on the same acceleration run.

Quote:
So let’s slow the clock down and take a look at the ludicrous things going on inside our P100D during that record-setting 2.28-second 0–60 run.

T≥ -2.00 SEC

Driver activates launch mode by holding the brake and quickly flooring and releasing the accelerator pedal. “Launch Mode” message appears on screen. Motor voltage waveforms reach 4 volts @ 3 Hz (that voltage is a root-mean-squared measure, meaning that the AC voltage—alternating at 3 cycles per second—is roughly akin to 4 volts of DC power).

T≥ -1 MINUTE

The driver activates Ludicrous+ mode by pressing and holding the “Ludicrous” button and accepting the warning screen, after which a battery- and motor-conditioning process takes place (warming the former and cooling the latter). Once the “Ready” message appears:
Tesla Model S P100D: Earth-shattering 1247 Nm of torque on the dyno-1.jpg
Like someone said, Tesla does seem to have an awesome legal department to have a setting called "Ludicrous mode". Well they would have had even more fun time approving this display message.

T= -0.26 SECONDS

The driver releases brake. Front and rear inverter phase currents of 750 amps and 1,430 amps, respectively (again, these are root-mean-squared AC values), flood the motors with magnetic flux within 100 milliseconds. The electromagnetic pressure acting to push the rotor forward across the air gap reaches 10.9 psi in the front motor and 17.8 psi in the rear motor. This results in the production of:

791 lb-ft of combined torque at the motor shafts
1,119 pounds of force sent to each front tire patch and 2,166 pounds of force sent to each rear tire contact patch
0.71g acceleration averaged over the first foot of travel

T= 0.00 SEC

The car crosses 1-foot mark and official timing starts. The car is traveling at 5.9 mph, averaging 1.30 g of longitudinal acceleration.

T= 0.40 SEC

Longitudinal acceleration peaks at 1.41 g as the car passes through 10.3 mph.

T= 0.87 SEC

The car reaches 30 mph after travelling 24 feet 8 inches (1.5 car lengths). The driver is still experiencing 1.14 g’s of acceleration.

T= 1.30 SEC

The current flowing out of the battery pack and into the two motors peaks at 1,850 amps.

T= 1.76 SEC

Combined motor output power peaks at 680 hp as motor voltage waveforms reach 130 volts at 500 Hz. Again, that’s an AC RMS voltage. Longitudinal acceleration drops to 1.00 g and continues falling from this point. The vehicle is traveling 51.0 mph.

T= 2.28 SEC

The car crosses the official 60-mph mark after travelling 120 feet 2 inches (7.4 car lengths). Inside the battery, 25 grams’ worth of lithium ions have migrated from anode to cathode, releasing about 0.33 kW-hrs of battery charge.

T= 10.52 SEC

The car crosses the quarter-mile mark, traveling at 125 mph. The front motor is spinning at 14,600 rpm and the rear at 14,200 rpm. That puts the absolute velocity of the outer edges of the front and rear rotors at 391 and 349 mph, respectively. Longitudinal acceleration has dropped to 0.22 g. Inside the battery, 112 grams of lithium ions have migrated from anode to cathode, expending about 1.53 kW-hrs of charge.

The most interesting bit is saved for the last.

Quote:
Once again, we must express our gob-smacked amazement at the predictive traction management that makes a run like this possible. (The brakes were not used to arrest wheel spin during our acceleration run.) An engineer familiar enough with the traction and stability control systems to have hacked a Model S and disabled them confirms that if Tesla provided a true off button for these systems, standing on the go pedal indiscriminately can indeed provoke a 100-plus-mph speed difference between the tires and the pavement within seconds, melting the treads quickly and rendering the vehicle utterly uncontrollable. It’s a modern engineering miracle that we are never able to detect any torque-reduction intervention from this system. Kind of like a car that can accelerate harder than it can brake.
A decade back, no one would have imagined that there would be a car like the Model S. Hats off to Elon Musk for his dedication towards reinventing his pet project with constant engineering upgrades and also making them accessible to people who can afford it.
rohitoasis is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 27th February 2017, 15:48   #6
BHPian

Ludicrous!! To say the least. I spent my whole weekend watching the Ludicrous mode and Insane mode reaction videos in Youtube. Just watching them made my hair stand on its edge. I wonder how it will be for the actual owners who own and drive around in these cars. To say I envy them would be a moderate reaction for me.

I have ogled over cars from as long as I remember but never felt an urge to own one. This one makes me want to own this machine even if it means robbing the bank. One Day!!!

Off Topic though: I noticed in most of the videos that the front seats have fixed head rests similar to our desi Altos and Grand i10's
Old 27th February 2017, 16:28   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

That is fantastic indeed, but the only gripe is the way it sounds.

Tesla can correct it by giving Active Sound of a V8 engine playing through the speakers. Though i discourage this idea on regular sports cars but for a full electric sports car it definitely will be a welcome move
karan561 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2017, 11:28   #8
BHPian

Quote:
The car crosses the official 60-mph mark after travelling 120 feet 2 inches
Just think about that. 120 feet. That's less space (calling it distance would be unfaithful to this feat) than some cars would need to stop from that speed. Astounding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_ash View Post
Ludicrous!! To say the least. I spent my whole weekend watching the Ludicrous mode and Insane mode reaction videos in Youtube. Just watching them made my hair stand on its edge.
I remember doing that some time back. All you hear is the sound of pedal hitting the floor. The 'boom' is imaginary, every single time.
Old 8th March 2017, 21:15   #9
BHPian

0-60 MPH times and power output of a Tesla P100D tested from just 10% battery all the way up to 100%.

jeevan007 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks