Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd September 2017, 02:05   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Motors hints at 'important' announcement on electric vehicles in next few weeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragavsr View Post
If they announce the Tiago electric with a range of at least 100 KM along with ABS and airbags for a price of 8-9 lakhs on road , I would be willing to buy one.
100km of range would require about 30 kWh of battery. Good Lithium Ion cells from LG Chem or Daimler is roughly $225 per kWh, so the battery cells (before packaging/cooling etc) by itself would work out to Rs.4.4 lakhs - before customs, GST, etcetera etcetera. Currently there are no applicable Govt subsidies, if am not mistaken.

We need to be realistic with expectations.
Steeroid is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2017, 08:58   #47
BHPian

Re: Tata Motors hints at 'important' announcement on electric vehicles in next few weeks

Quote:

The price should not be in excess of 10 lakhs anyways. The Hyundai Ionic plug in sells for around 28000 $(~18 lakh) in the USA with a range of 220 miles (340 Kms ). This is the price before any government incentives. It's also a much bigger Elantra sized car with 6 airbags ,ESP and loads of equipment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
100km of range would require about 30 kWh of battery. Good Lithium Ion cells from LG Chem or Daimler is roughly $225 per kWh, so the battery cells (before packaging/cooling etc) by itself would work out to Rs.4.4 lakhs - before customs, GST, etcetera etcetera. Currently there are no applicable Govt subsidies, if am not mistaken.
Quoting myself to rectify my mistake. The Ioniq EV has a range of 124 miles and not 220 miles . Sorry.

Having said that , the Ioniq has a 28 KWh battery for 124 mile range. 100 KM range is only 60-65 miles. So a 14 KWh battery should be enough.
Ragavsr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2017, 10:50   #48
BHPian

Re: Tata Motors working on all-electric Tiago. EDIT: Pics on page 3

Eagerly waiting for the launch of Tiago Electric in India. Prices above 9L will be difficult to sell. A Nano Electric priced on par or little less than e2o+ would have been just fantastic.
Since the Tiago starts at 4L, Adding a battery pack at ~3L, replacing an engine with an electric drive and a reduction of ~20% GST, I hope it should be possible to price the car below 9L.
Do note the much bigger eVerito is priced at 9L for the base model. I dont think the 135kmph 11Sec 0-100 motor will make it to India, but lets hope we get a much powerful motor than the one in e2o+
Old 22nd September 2017, 11:22   #49
BHPian

Electric cars need a platform which has been designed from the ground up for electric powertrain however if Tata want's to sell the Tiago in huge numbers it should opt for a range extender instead of a complete EV . An EV with atleast 200 kms range would be exciting for the general populace as it allays range fears , one with 100 kms is just a stop gap measure which is bound to fail .
Old 22nd September 2017, 11:59   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Having said that , the Ioniq has a 28 KWh battery for 124 mile range. 100 KM range is only 60-65 miles. So a 14 KWh battery should be enough.
I wish it were as simple as that.

There is a difference between a car built specifically for electric application, and a regular vehicle converted for that purpose. Weight, drag coefficient (even the design of the shark fin antenna can make a diff to the range!), heat dissipation and several other parameters come into play. I will not debate the figure above purely because I am not qualified to talk authoritatively on what is an incredibly complex topic - the numbers I quoted was a very rough indicative one, on the conservative side. Approximate enough to work out probable costs at a very high level, but not to be taken as authoritative.
Steeroid is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2017, 12:08   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
I wish it were as simple as that.

There is a difference between a car built specifically for electric application, and a regular vehicle converted for that purpose. Weight, drag coefficient (even the design of the shark fin antenna can make a diff to the range!), heat dissipation and several other parameters come into play. I will not debate the figure above purely because I am not qualified to talk authoritatively on what is an incredibly complex topic - the numbers I quoted was a very rough indicative one, on the conservative side.
Yes , I agree there are differences in platforms and aerodynamics. Let's put in a 6 KWh extra to compensate for that. 20 KWh would cost , say 3.3 lakhs.

A Tiago XZ petrol costs 5.02 lakh after paying 29% GST. An electric car is 10% GST slab.

Add 5.02+ 3.3 - GST benefits, they can surely price the Tiago EV at 8-9 lakhs.

Second, they can't expect to make profits out of first generation technologies. The first generation Toyota Prius and Chevrolet Volt made losses but helped the company in learning technologies which help them make profits in subsequent generations.

Last edited by Ragavsr : 22nd September 2017 at 12:12.
Old 22nd September 2017, 12:19   #52
BHPian

I believe that Tata would keep the introductory pricing at the clever Rs.9.90 lakh range.

They could easily cite the reasons for high price as :

1. Due to new technology, new this & that...
2. It's the initial price you pay for never having to go to the petrol pump again.
Old 29th September 2017, 21:02   #53
Senior - BHPian

Tata Motors bags contract to supply 10000 electric cars to EESL

http://www.moneycontrol.com/news/aut...01443.html/amp
Latheesh is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2018, 00:12   #54
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Motors is going to launch on all-electric Tiago in December 2018

Zeebiz.com reports that
Quote:
Tata is all set to launch its first electric car, the Tiago EV. It also packs more safety features. Tata Motors is going to launch Tiago EV which will be an electric car showcased in auto expo. The price would be between Rs 6 to Rs 7 lakh and it is expected to launch in starting of December. According to the company this car will travel 100 KMs in one charge. And its top speed is 135 KM/H. new Tata Tiago EV will take just 11 seconds to reach the speed of 100, as per company's claim.
AdityaDeane is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 19th February 2019, 07:42   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

TATA Motors is rumored to bring EV's with a range of 220-250 km to the mass market by 2020/21.

Quote:
The company has re engineered its existing internal combustion engine cars Tigor and Tiago with an electric powertrain and is now working on an electric vehicle (EV) based on its new-generation Alpha platform. It will be unveiled at the Geneva Motor Show in March.

The first EV for personal buyers will hit the Indian roads in 2020, which may be a Tigor EV, followed by a highly aspirational car based on the X451 premium hatchback.

Link
Old 19th February 2019, 12:37   #56
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
While everything else might be equally good (I have least interest in EVs), the only item that caught my attention in the specification sheet was the acceleration figures of this budget hatchback: 0-60 mph in less than 11 secs.
Remember the torque of a electric motor is highest at stall. So the 'off the mark' specs have to be good.

This is what the pecs reflect. A also agree the specs look good, except for the range.
Old 9th September 2022, 10:51   #57
Senior - BHPian

On World EV day Tata Motors announced the Tiago EV.

Tata Motors working on all-electric Tiago. EDIT: Pics on page 3-20220909_105159.jpg

Last edited by Venkatesh : 9th September 2022 at 10:55.
Old 9th September 2022, 11:06   #58
BHPian

This is great at many levels.

1. Tiago ev will probably cater to the low budget purely city driving only customers. Tiago ev will encourage more people to opt for an ev as a second car to keep running costs low
2. This will probably be the most affordable ev in India. It's bound to help increase ev adoption a lot
3. The announcement (fairly basic with no specifics) on the same day as Mahindra Xuv400 helps Tata stay in the race and retain some mindshare. Such a smart move this, to ensure Mahindra is not seen as a disruptor
4. Finally, I believe Tata are better placed to scale up and deliver the ev faster than Mahindra, esp since they have Ford's new plant at their disposal. I can see them selling ~50k Nexon EVs a year and a decent number of Tiago EVs even before Mahindra rolls out their first xuv400 on the road. Thats a great win for Tata.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks