Team-BHP > Electric Cars

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 11th September 2017, 13:36   #1
Senior - BHPian

Scoop! Tata Nano electric spotted testing in Coimbatore

Thanks to Venkatesh Chinnasamy for sending these images in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this Team-BHP page!

Scoop! Tata Nano electric spotted testing in Coimbatore-image1.jpg

The Tata Nano electric has been caught testing. The car was spotted near Coimbatore sporting the Nano GenX bodywork. While it looks like an ordinary Nano with a combustion engine, it is in fact an all-electric version - the '4BNEV-A08' window sticker being the only giveaway.

Scoop! Tata Nano electric spotted testing in Coimbatore-image2.jpg

According to some media reports, the Nano electric was spotted in the same area last month. The car is expected to feature an electric motor powered by lithium-ion batteries. But, details about the electric Nano's powertrain are scarce. The development of the electric powertrain has been taking place at the Tata Motors European Technical Centre in the U.K. The Bolt EV and more recently, the Tiago EV Concept were developed here.

Scoop! Tata Nano electric spotted testing in Coimbatore-image3-1.jpg

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by Aditya : 11th September 2017 at 16:30.
TusharK is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 11th September 2017, 13:56   #2
BHPian

Re: Scoop! Tata Nano electric spotted testing in Coimbatore

You can find many such Tata prototypes in Coimbatore area. There aren't any news about electric Nano though. Lets wait.

Last edited by Vignesh_N/A : 11th September 2017 at 13:59.
Vignesh_N/A is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2017, 14:05   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
Details about the electric Nano's powertrain are scarce but it could be based on the electric drive from the Tiago EV Concept.

Attachment 1674964

Link to Team-BHP News
Actually TMETC had, also, successfully developed an electric version of the Ace, that power-train should, in theory, be an almost straight fit for the Nano.

Here's a link with some details about the same:

http://www.tmetc.com/portfolio/tata-ace.aspx

Last edited by da_lowrider : 11th September 2017 at 14:08. Reason: Added TMETC link
da_lowrider is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th September 2017, 15:32   #4
BHPian

Thanks for sharing! Glad that the mules have been spotted...

This article from the economic times also confirms the launch of Nano Electric in 2017!!

Lastly, here's another article from economic times hinting at this possibility.

So, data from three sources confirming the same is good news!.

Bring it on TATA... Hopefully it will be priced lesser than the e2o.

Last edited by naut : 11th September 2017 at 15:36. Reason: added one more reference article.
naut is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th September 2017, 15:55   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Thinking about this small light simple car with an electric engine, I can't help but compare it with the new Nokia phone - 3310. It is small, compact, looks cute and is available in vibrant colors. Now, if Tata gives it a good battery pack with a small efficient engine, Nano could boast of similar range which the Nokia had.

On a slightly serious note, I was sad when I read about Tata planning to shelve the Nano as it was the perfect car for EV platform. I hope this makes into production.
ashis89 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th September 2017, 16:03   #6
BHPian

Looking at the current scenario where in most of the countries looking to adapt to electric vehicles and stop selling fossil fuel cars, similar recent news also surfaced few days back India too looking for such change.

I feel Tata and even Mahindra are on spot of this learning and adaptive curve, they had similar projects back in the past. Tata being on top, as they are have cars which are already running on electric power in UK.

Wonder how are other manufacutres looking at this adaption, will they have to start from scratch? So far Tata has +10 points.
amrutmhatre90 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th September 2017, 16:17   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrutmhatre90 View Post
I feel Tata and even Mahindra are on spot of this learning and adaptive curve, they had similar projects back in the past. Tata being on top, as they are have cars which are already running on electric power in UK.

Wonder how are other manufacutres looking at this adaption, will they have to start from scratch? So far Tata has +10 points.
I would give +20 to Mahindra, as they already have electric cars in production and in showrooms as well, in India itself.

They have the e2o (small car), the eVerito (sedan) and eSupro (van) on sale already.

Last edited by abhishek46 : 11th September 2017 at 16:19.
abhishek46 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th September 2017, 17:24   #8
BHPian

Vista became Bolt, and Aria became Hexa. The latter transformation achieved fair bit of success, and still going strong. I guess, Tata will try to repeat the same with Nano. However, I fear the 'Nano' moniker will be dropped, and for a newer name for the Small City EV car. Ofcourse it will get major design changes. The name 'Nano' has too much a baggage in 2017 (although brilliant product in its segment). Tata can't afford to go wrong again (marketing wise). It will intersting to see how the EV on Nano chassis evolves; engineering and marketing wise.
keeprevving is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2017, 17:31   #9
BHPian

Amazing news!! If Nano electric sells for 5 lakh on-road with a range of 100 kms (150 kms would be a bonus) and top-speed of 80 kph, I would be very interested in this. I just hope Tata pull this off. With ever increasing fuel prices, I think electric cars have already passed that tipping point where they have cheaper running cost even considering a new battery pack costing 1-2 lakh every 4-5 years.
ksameer1234 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th September 2017, 17:51   #10
Senior - BHPian

Not sure if this ends as a prototype only. There have been no rumors as well and we also saw Tiago EV scoops. Personally I feel nano might help tata price it really well as compared to say e20plus.

If the specs can match e20plus, with good pricing, love to order one
rajshenoy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th September 2017, 11:10   #11
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Good scoop. Must say, Venkatesh is rather eagle-eyed to notice the 'EV' letters on the sticker. I don't think I would have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keeprevving View Post
Aria became Hexa. The latter transformation achieved fair bit of success, and still going strong.
Well said. The Aria -> Hexa transformation is one of the rare "improved" versions that changed the car's fortunes. Tata might need to do something similar with the Nano, including a reskin + distinct identity (like the Hexa).

As much as I think the Nano makes for a perfect EV, it might be too early as India is a long way from EV adoption. And by the time the country does get there, the Nano will be too old & outdated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
They have the e2o (small car), the eVerito (sedan) and eSupro (van) on sale already.
And now an e-rickshaw too - link (Mahindra all-electric e-Alfa rickshaw launched at Rs. 1.12 lakh).
GTO is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th September 2017, 13:55   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Good scoop. Must say, Venkatesh is rather eagle-eyed to notice the 'EV' letters on the sticker. I don't think I would have.
True! I'd have never noticed that "EV" or actually deciphered that it was actually for the nano being an "EV"! Although GTO, we'd mostly have noticed the lack of the NANO's trademark exhaust tip in the center.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Well said. The Aria -> Hexa transformation is one of the rare "improved" versions that changed the car's fortunes. Tata might need to do something similar with the Nano, including a reskin + distinct identity (like the Hexa).

As much as I think the Nano makes for a perfect EV, it might be too early as India is a long way from EV adoption. And by the time the country does get there, the Nano will be too old & outdated.
So true! But I'd say they should still launch an eNANO. Simply to put a product out on the road and learn the tricks of the trade. I'm not saying make customers the guinea pigs for it. Make a well rounded car that will never leave a customer in tears. No matter if it does not sell in high volumes. Set a conservative target of numbers in vicinity of the e2O. Anyway the nano isn't setting sales charts in flames.

If it is a successful product, good PR image left already that Tata can make reliable EVs. When the true EVs start rolling, Tata will have a place already at the table.
Additionally, use the learnings, hands-on experience in domestic market and valuable customer inputs in preparing for next models.

Last edited by navin : 12th September 2017 at 15:37. Reason: spelling
Reinhard is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th October 2017, 11:51   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Tata to introduce Nano EV later this year.

It will be launched initially only for the taxi segment, and will go up against Mahindra's e2o Plus.

Quote:
Our sources tell us that an all-electric Nano is being developed with market introduction expected later this year. However, initially, the car will be launched only for the taxi segment.
Currently, Ola and Bengaluru based Lithium cab service, the only two electric taxi providers in India, use the Mahindra e2o as an electric option. We expect the Nano EV to be superior to the Mahindra e2o, offering better performance and a longer range.
Back in 2010, Tata Motors showcased a Nano EV concept at the Geneva motor show that came with a super-polymer lithium battery and promised a driving range of 160km per charge.
Scoop! Tata Nano electric spotted testing in Coimbatore-nano_ev_geneva2010x.jpg

ACI
RavenAvi is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 6th October 2017, 12:01   #14
Senior - BHPian

Great News.

Hope it gives the Nano a new lease of life. It's an ideal city vehicle and EV tech with a decent range would be just perfect.

It needs to get bigger wheels from its current 12 inches. Bigger wheels would make the design more proportional and hopefully make the ride better and add to the stability of the vehicle.

The E2o has bigger wheels.

Old 6th October 2017, 12:22   #15
BHPian

Vow! Great News.

Even with 160 km range, there will be sure takers(If offered for general public after launching for taxi market).

Now let's guess the pricing.
IMHO, it should be in the range of INR 4~5 lakhs(Let's keep the Govt rebate separately.).

Split as follows, again in IMHO

1. The Body tooling etc, is already available.(No major new investments - Already 9~10 year old Press and Body shops)
2. Only battery pack and motor along with the circuitry is a new cost to Tata.
3. The Power train should not cost more than 1.5 lakh( Wild guess, could be lower or higher).

So, a simple math 3.6 lakhs (Current OTR price approx in Delhi) minus 1.5 lakh = 2.1 lakhs.
Hence, the Motor+ gear box + battery + other related parts should be around 2 lakhs.

Experts, your opinions pls..

Regards,
Maverick79.
Maverick79 is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed