Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th December 2017, 18:30   #91

Re: Tata Motors gets government order for 10,000 Electric Vehicles (beating Mahindra & Nissan)!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gururajrv View Post
Whilst the work done by both TATA & Mahindra is a commendable one by meeting stringent deadlines, I wonder the reliability of these vehicles because there were no reports as such (atleast to my knowledge) where these were tested extensively prior to delivering these orders? Because it shouldn’t be an impact to their respective reputations with EESL and other markets where these products won’t reach upto the expectations and later create a nagative impression in the mindset’s of prospective customers in the passenger segment. That would be their first step towards achieving success is what I personally feel as for now their orders are limited to EESL and they can make improvisations on these cars if required based on EESL feedback.

Because I believe our market is still on the growth spectrum and a little negligent towards accepting EV as a replacement over performance oriented IC engines. Nonetheless this is indeed a positive step towards driving the future for both the giants. I hope this step inspires them to build a stronger EV segment before Tesla makes its way to Indian market in future. All the best to both Tata (my fav) and Mahindra of course!
Ah, had the same bloody question..
Have been following the EV announcements and was seriously wondering, how is Tata Motors able to modify/retrofit the battery pack and other changes needed to an already production car?

Even VW has said it will take 2-3 years to bring out the electric equivalent of its current ICE models.

Put simply, would you buy a Tata Tigor EV today or even a year later in its current avatar or would you wait for a vehicle designed to an EV from the start?
Old 6th December 2017, 19:15   #92
BHPian

Re: Tata Motors gets government order for 10,000 Electric Vehicles (beating Mahindra & Nissan)!

Better late than never! TATA are really busy these days.

Quote:
I wonder the reliability of these vehicles because there were no reports as such (atleast to my knowledge) where these were tested extensively prior to delivering these orders?
I would say Politicians getting a taste of their own medicine! They pass laws and ordinances and their favorite pass-time "ban" without much research or analysis. So it's befitting if they are made guinea pigs by getting cars which are not tested extensively.

On a more serious note, the move by government is just to show the intent to public about going electric. If this starts the movement even a little bit, it's not bad IMHO. These cars are going to be run mostly in an around lutyens Delhi and Parliament. It's not going to be extensively tested anywhere else and so they should pass the tests with flying colors. I am more concerned whether the drivers who are going to drive are given proper training or instructions on how to handle electric cars. I don't think a single politician or bureaucrat have a vehicle other than Diesel, so this is going to be a huge change. Hope that goes smooth.
RaghuVis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2017, 21:35   #93
Senior - BHPian

Can Tata's offer similar deal to the public. e.g. an all inclusive maintenance contract for xx years? Such a move could alleviate concerns over reliability (if any), and personally electric cars = less moving parts = more reliable than conventional cars.

We need to wait and watch how these cars are as a daily drive.
Old 6th December 2017, 22:15   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Whilst the work done by both TATA & Mahindra is a commendable one by meeting stringent deadlines, I wonder the reliability of these vehicles because there were no reports as such (atleast to my knowledge) where these were tested extensively prior to delivering these orders?
Tata has had an EV programme ( as R&D) for quite a few years now mostly in the UK. I have seen Tata Bolt EV and even a TATA VISTA Ev testbeds so I assume that some amount of testing has been done before these vehicles were rolled out. Also, it is a good thing that the Govt is doing by nudging the industry to start making EV's and commercializing them down the road.
chennai-indian is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th December 2017, 00:36   #95
BHPian

Tata has been testing 'EV' versions of Indica (the V2 one), Indica Vista (was also sold as a Rover IIRC), the Bolt (even ended up with a lawsuit over trademark infringement for the name with Chevrolet for the Bolt EV in UK) - and something similar I think has been done with the Nano by Jayem motors and made into the Neo (electric).
So I don't think they have attempted something for which they were completely unprepared.

Looks interesting. Hope this makes it to the public as well! Provided it does well.
Dr.Suraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2017, 08:29   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Whilst the work done by both TATA & Mahindra is a commendable one by meeting stringent deadlines, I wonder the reliability of these vehicles because there were no reports as such (atleast to my knowledge) where these were tested extensively prior to delivering these orders?
Indeed they have been testing the motor in UK albeit on Bolt for quite sometime. In case if you are not aware. Here is the video

Last edited by srivatsahg : 7th December 2017 at 08:29. Reason: Included the car model
srivatsahg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2017, 08:53   #97
BHPian

EVs provide great opportunity for Tata motors which is struggling to break the duopoly of Suzuki and Hyundai. They have been working on converting the existing cars to EVs for the last 3-4 years which is bearing the fruits with the sudden and much needed push by govt with EESL auctions. In the initial stages TATA can proceed with converting their regular cars to EVs and in future as the battery costs decline they can start building EVs on new platforms.

They also have backing of JLR which is developing I-PACE which is a proper EV with larger battery and larger range. They just announced its official launch at Geneva motor show in March 2018 and the sales will start from early second half of 2018. They already built 200 I-PACE prototypes which have covered more than 1.5 million miles.

Some of the specs of Jaguar I-PACE:
90kWh battery with more than 220 miles (350 KM) range.
394bhp and 516lb ft of torque,
All wheel drive with 2 electric motors with one motor on front axle and another at the rear.

In another related note, Andhra Pradesh discoms proposing electricity rate of Rs 6.95 for EVs. They are expecting 1500 of these EVs (from auction of EESL) to come to the state and will be deployed in Vijayawada, Tirupati, Vizag 500 per city. They will be creating the charging infrastructure in each of these cities and along the national highways.

http://www.thehindu.com/news/nationa...le21255573.ece
sri_tesla is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th December 2017, 13:32   #98
BHPian

The unholy humps on Indian streets are going to prove to be a red herring to the skate board design ideal for EVs. I think this is going to be the primary challenge Teslas are going to face if and when they come to India.

Seriously, its big time we figured out how to make humps properly.
sreeharipv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2017, 09:42   #99
BHPian

What I like and I think most of us will concur about the approach from Tata and M&M is to use existing conventional cars and make them electric. Unlike other manufacturers who make weird looking and unconventional designs only because they are electric and to stand out. Congratulations Tata and M&M, hope to see them soon for normal public too.

Last edited by basoli : 8th December 2017 at 09:48.
Old 8th December 2017, 10:00   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by basoli View Post
Unlike other manufacturers who make weird looking and unconventional designs only because they are electric and to stand out. Congratulations Tata and M&M, hope to see them soon for normal public too.
You were not serious when you typed this, were you? Unconventional designs only because they are electric and to stand out? Drag, Coefficient of Drag? Resistance? Does that ring a bell?

Last edited by DieselAddikt : 8th December 2017 at 10:02.
DieselAddikt is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2017, 10:35   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselAddikt View Post
You were not serious when you typed this, were you? Unconventional designs only because they are electric and to stand out? Drag, Coefficient of Drag? Resistance? Does that ring a bell?
Your post seems to imply that these factors effect only electrics and not a conventional car. Now i hope you weren't serious.
Range of an electric car is as important as the mileage of a regular one.
abhi7013 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2017, 10:38   #102
BANNED

I am wondering whether there ia also a hidden agenda, of supporting a defence supplier. Happens in the US (and elsewhere!?) all the time. Tata is a major defence contractor.
Old 8th December 2017, 10:55   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I am wondering whether there ia also a hidden agenda, of supporting a defence supplier.
Unless the tender was rigged, any manufacturer could have quoted lower and won. In fact, Mahindra seemed to be probable winners until Tata surprised everyone.

All said, I hope there are many more follow-up orders like these. Good to see government volunteering for being the early adopters which should then benefit the common people.
ksameer1234 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th December 2017, 12:49   #104
BHPian

With the new and more stringent implementation of odd-even, I think the govt babus will appreciate the fact that they are in an EV. Delhi is ripe market for anyone who can come out with a decent EV at the moment.
Old 8th December 2017, 16:35   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I am wondering whether there ia also a hidden agenda, of supporting a defence supplier. Happens in the US (and elsewhere!?) all the time. Tata is a major defence contractor.
Hollow allegations & wild guesses will not help.
We need to appreciate the efforts by government, though half baked in terms of readiness, atleast there are some policy formations which will help in long term.
I can see lot of anguish over TML getting EV order ahead of M&M from lot of people which is really not surprising.
speedguy is online now   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks