Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th November 2017, 11:27   #1
Senior - BHPian

World's fastest production car is an EV! The Tesla Roadster

World's fastest production car is an EV! The Tesla Roadster-roadster.png
  • First production vehicle to crack the 2-second threshold.
  • 0-60 in 1.9 seconds
  • 0-100 in 4.2 seconds
  • 200kwh battery pack and a 620-mile range (>1000 Km)
  • Three motors, one in the front and two in the rear, all-wheel drive and torque steering.

Best/Worst of the lot is Musk's quote:
Quote:
“The point of doing this is to give a hardcore smackdown to gasoline cars,” Musk said.
Source: https://www.theverge.com/2017/11/17/...test-car-world

Last edited by sarathlal : 17th November 2017 at 11:29.
sarathlal is offline   (35) Thanks
Old 17th November 2017, 11:44   #2
BHPian

re: World's fastest production car is an EV! The Tesla Roadster

They say it has a top speed in excess of 250 mph (402 kmh) which is insane.

A few more official press images below.

World's fastest production car is an EV! The Tesla Roadster-2020teslaroadster05.jpg

World's fastest production car is an EV! The Tesla Roadster-2020teslaroadster071.jpg

World's fastest production car is an EV! The Tesla Roadster-2020teslaroadster08.jpg

World's fastest production car is an EV! The Tesla Roadster-2020teslaroadster10.jpg

The last image shows that its a Targa-top which is lovely. Gives the best of both worlds.

This seems to be a concept, still. There's no way an airbag unit can be mounted in that tiny steering wheel. What I'd love is a nice chunky circular steering with a flat bottom and physical buttons that would let me change the settings of the suspension and powertrain and which also has amazing feedback from the road and tells you how the wheels are turning through feel, like the best sportscars. Hardware to match the speed.

This will give Porsche and Ferrari and all the others a few sleepless nights and speed up their adoption of pure electric powertrains.
rshnvjy is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 17th November 2017, 11:59   #3
BHPian

The price for this car starts at $200000.
$50000 is the booking amount and production will start in 2020.

A hypercar for $200K!!!
The other hypercars cost more than 1Mn and will still end up being slower.
No wonder musk said "The point of doing this is to give a hardcore smackdown to gasoline cars". This will definitely bring sleepless nights for the Italians.

Last edited by Holyghost : 17th November 2017 at 12:03.
Holyghost is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 17th November 2017, 12:01   #4
BHPian

Well i am not trusting Elon Musk in the future. Here he had us waiting with baited breath for their semi trailer and they bring the semi trailer and unload this beauty.
World's fastest production car is an EV! The Tesla Roadster-2020teslaroadster12.jpg

They sure have learnt a lot in this time and this is a far cry from the original Tesla roadster.

Imagine doing 250 mph on a targa top roadster. Not many will be able to enjoy that experience because the production run is limited to a thousand numbers.

The mind boggling numbers are generated by three motors which generate a rather modest 10,000 Nm. Yeah 7,376 lb-ft.

With 200kwh motor providing a maximum range of 1000 km. This could be ultimate cross country tourer for the rich. They could do around 800 Km with three of the most trusted lackeys (Yeah the Tesla roadster is going to be 2+2 apparently, not able to judge this based on the profile of the B pillar though), break for a meal in between and by the time the chef whips out the foie gras and the caviar, he could get the car charged, do the rest of the journey. Bentley and Mercedes SL would take a whole lot of time to make their engines as silent as this.

Motortrend

Last edited by rohitoasis : 17th November 2017 at 12:08.
rohitoasis is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 17th November 2017, 13:04   #5
Senior - BHPian

This one is the most insane road car I have ever heard of

Some quick facts
  • 7,376 pound-feet of torque.
  • 0-60 mph in 1.9 seconds, making it the quickest production car in the world.
  • 0-100 mph in 4.2 seconds.
  • Quarter mile in 8.8 seconds, which beats every other production car.
  • 250+ mph top speed.
  • 620 miles of highway range.
  • The production car could be even quicker, with more range, and a higher top end.
Should the current breed (ICE based) of Super & Hyper cars to be worried?

Read more here

Cheers!
myavu is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 17th November 2017, 13:45   #6
Senior - BHPian

And they protest against the Challenger SRT Demon for being insane and unsafe!
1100D is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 17th November 2017, 15:29   #7
BHPian

The whole world waited for an electric truck and Mr. Musk comes out with super sleek truck (Cd: 0.36) AND a 10,000 Nm hyper car killer. Mind boggling to say the least!!

I wonder how this thing puts down all those torques to the ground. I read somewhere that the Chiron (with just 1600 Nm) had its top speed limited because of the tyre limitations. Curious to know how Tesla gets around that.

Last edited by MaddyCrew : 17th November 2017 at 15:31.
MaddyCrew is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th November 2017, 16:11   #8
BHPian

The numbers are bananas, will take some time to sink. We are used to incremental evolution and here comes revolutionary numbers. Too good to be true.
With these numbers, the steering wheel design looks more for holding on to seat than steering.
Sure the automotive world is changing too fast to sit and relax.
bullock-Car is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th November 2017, 16:22   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Official Video :
Dr.Naren is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 17th November 2017, 16:41   #10
BHPian

That's insane!! I wounder how this car manages to launch itself forward, considering the torque and tyre limitations. I can imagine real world scenario where instead of moving ahead, the car just keep burning tyres
Nav-i-gator is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 17th November 2017, 18:34   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nav-i-gator View Post
That's insane!! I wounder how this car manages to launch itself forward, considering the torque and tyre limitations. I can imagine real world scenario where instead of moving ahead, the car just keep burning tyres
Thats where all the electronics and traction control systems come into play. Without that, there is no way some one can drive this vehicle with this much amount of torque.
Holyghost is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th November 2017, 19:57   #12
BHPian

This is insane!! I logged in this morning thinking wth, let me just put my name down for that car..... and then I saw the price .

The semi that they launched can be a game changer! It is brilliant in every way. I think if we can provide a good charging infrastructure, then this technology can power most of our trucks and buses. And we all know how under powered our trucks are. Given that we don't necessarily need trucks that can haul such large volumes, we could potentially get a much higher range out of this thing. Just attach a smaller trailer to this semi and I think we can easily get another 10-20% out in terms of range. Should be good enough for most of our transporters. Even if we don't get a higher range, I don't think our drivers drive more than 400-500 kms without a break. So add a few charging stations at dhabas and off they go.
HKap is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th November 2017, 20:32   #13
Team-BHP Support

Rumour has it that it is a distraction from the current production problems plaguing the Model 3. Introduce this concept and distract the press
ajmat is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 17th November 2017, 20:36   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Rumour has it that it is a distraction from the current production problems plaguing the Model 3. Introduce this concept and distract the press
It's not a concept. Production starts in 2020 and you can reserve one for 50k right now!
HKap is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th November 2017, 20:38   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKap View Post
It's not a concept. Production starts in 2020 and you can reserve one for 50k right now!
It is a concept until it becomes reality, the Model 3 is supposed to be in production, in reality it is being Beta tested by Tesla employees
ajmat is offline   (10) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks