Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd November 2017, 11:33   #1
Senior - BHPian

Jayem Neo – Tata Nano EV to be launched on Nov 28, 2017

A test mule of the Tata Nano electric was spotted in September 2017 near Coimbatore. Now, according to a media report, the Nano-based electric vehicle (EV) will be launched on November 28, 2017 as the Jayem Neo.

Jayem Neo – Tata Nano EV to be launched on Nov 28, 2017-nano-ev.jpg

Coimbatore-based Jayem Automotives is reportedly going to manufacture and market the Nano-based EV. Tata Motors will supply body shells of the Nano, which will then be fitted with electric powertrains sourced from Electra EV. The cars will carry Jayem branding instead of Tata.

The report suggests that the first batch of 400 cars will be delivered to Ola Cabs. Apart from fleet operators, the company also has plans to sell a more powerful version of the EV to private buyers.

The Jayem Neo is expected to be powered by a 48-volt, 23 BHP electric motor. The car will reportedly have a maximum range of 200 km on a single charge. With air-conditioning and four people on-board, the range is expected to be reduced to 140 km.

The Jayem Neo is reported to weigh close to 800 kg. In comparison, the Nano GenX weighs between 695 kg and 765 kg depending upon the variant.

Jayem Automotives is yet to make an official announcement regarding the Neo.

Source: Autocar India

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2017, 11:58   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Jayem Neo – Tata Nano EV to be launched on Nov 28, 2017

Jayem Neo? Why Jayem Neo?

Tata, a group with access to thousands of minds and piles of cash, is resorting to selling body shells!
Why can't they use their own electric power train and launch a Nano EV on their own? (The power train which was supposed to be used in the Tigor EV)
Old 23rd November 2017, 12:05   #3
BHPian

Tata should sell it under its own brand!Without a brand associated with an EV, it will be tough to sell it! But the range claimed is really good if it is true. It will be a very economical and convenient city runabout!
Old 23rd November 2017, 12:05   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
Jayem Neo? Why Jayem Neo?

Tata, a group with access to thousands of minds and piles of cash, is resorting to selling body shells!
Why can't they use their own electric power train and launch a Nano EV on their own? (The power train which was supposed to be used in the Tigor EV)
I see no harm if someone else is ready to make use of the white body of Nano produced by Tata Gujarat plant. The plant is struggling from the date of its start and the present utilization (the Nano Assembly Line) stands at 20 - 25% which is unsustainable.

The same "thousands of mind" are not able to push the product with all kinds of nomenclature / trims / AMT / rear boot et. al.

It's a commercial arrangement and if Jayem can pull it through - its a win win; Tata is a reasonably reliable partner and Jayem can leverage it smartly.

Last edited by i74js : 23rd November 2017 at 12:08.
i74js is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2017, 12:11   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by i74js View Post
It's a commercial arrangement and if Jayem can pull it through - its a win win; Tata is a reasonably reliable partner and Jayem can leverage it smartly.
There are no doubts over Tata.
The doubts are over Jayem.

If Jayem shuts shop or has QC issues, the buyers (and common public) may indirectly blame Tata (even though Tata is not directly in the picture).
Old 23rd November 2017, 12:12   #6
BHPian

Kudos!

This answers two questions that's been lingering for a long time.

1. Why no nanos being used as city cabs? They are perfect for cab aggregators because of its high fuel economy, smaller foot print, good AC, easy entry and exit.

2. Why no EVs being used as city cabs? The fuel gains (and maintenance gains) EVs promise in the city can very well pay for the higher cost and then some while making it easier for the drivers with the clutch free and high low end torque nature of EVs.

I hope this catches on.
Old 23rd November 2017, 12:13   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
Coimbatore-based Jayem Automotives is reportedly going to manufacture and market the Nano-based EV. Tata Motors will supply body shells of the Nano, which will then be fitted with electric powertrains sourced from Electra EV. The cars will carry Jayem branding instead of Tata.
This might just be the most economic e-car on offer very soon.

I hope the emphasis on building stronger, sturdier and safer cars is not forgotten. The environment is important, but equally important are the commuters.
Old 23rd November 2017, 12:18   #8
Team-BHP Support

So, does this put off the decision on the future of Nano that has been so hotly debated since the Mistry episode?

Wonder how much of a business decision (financial) it is to just manufacture the body shell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreeharipv View Post
1. Why no nanos being used as city cabs? They are perfect for cab aggregators because of its high fuel economy, smaller foot print, good AC, easy entry and exit.
For a little more, you get much better vehicles. Plus, drivers prefer something like a DZire that doubles up as UberGo and UberX (hence more revenue when demand is high and continued revenue when demand is low)

Quote:
2. Why no EVs being used as city cabs? The fuel gains (and maintenance gains) EVs promise in the city can very well pay for the higher cost and then some while making it easier for the drivers with the clutch free and high low end torque nature of EVs.
EVs as cabs in India don't make sense. Charging takes a LONG time (8-10 hours); given the current scenario, drivers can't afford down-time. The only owners making a decent profit on the car are those that keep it running 24 hours through multiple drivers.
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2017, 12:31   #9
BANNED

The same Nano which never made sense for me in its petrol or CNG avatar, it's suddenly making a lot of sense to me in an electric avatar.
  • Getting rid of that 2 cylinder, bad sounding and lethargic engine.
  • e-Cars are still considered as city cars in India and a Nano makes a lot of sense as being one.
  • Electric = Automatic, sounds very sensible for a small city car
  • 4 doors and a boot will be possible, especially if hub motors will be used. E2O gets only 2 doors
  • Nano has a roomy interior on a small footprint, if launched at right price and marketed in right way, this car has got some potential in e-avatar

But yes, this has to be done by Tata motors themselves, else it is any ways going to be doomed.
VKumar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2017, 13:01   #10
BHPian

The Lead-Acid batteries alone will cost around Rs 2 Lakhs. If the latest Lithium tech is used, it will cost much, much more. I am not sure who will buy this.

May be the steel body and better space will appeal to the Reva crowd. Other than that, financially difficult to justify.
mvadg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2017, 14:52   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadg View Post
The Lead-Acid batteries alone will cost around Rs 2 Lakhs. If the latest Lithium tech is used, it will cost much, much more. I am not sure who will buy this.

May be the steel body and better space will appeal to the Reva crowd. Other than that, financially difficult to justify.
The car won't be cheap , that's for sure . it should cost atleast 6 lakhs.

As far as customers go, the last para of the article has the answer for your question.

It makes tremendous sense for taxi operators to run electric cabs. The cost per km is in paise compared to 4-5 rupees per km.
Ragavsr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2017, 15:00   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKumar View Post
[*]Getting rid of that 2 cylinder, bad sounding and lethargic engine.

But yes, this has to be done by Tata motors themselves, else it is any ways going to be doomed.
I hope you have driven one? it is no way lethargic.
Tata motors may have some arrangement to service the cars in case of any issues with body/interiors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadg View Post

May be the steel body and better space will appeal to the Reva crowd.
Nano has decent space already, no issues on that front for 4 people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragavsr View Post

It makes tremendous sense for taxi operators to run electric cabs. The cost per km is in paise compared to 4-5 rupees per km.
Tata motors seem to be experimenting with cabbies. Once they are sure it has got decent acceptance, they may come out with a re-skinned Nano, just like Zest/Bolt/hexa.
silverado is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2017, 15:34   #13
BHPian

Quote:
The same Nano which never made sense for me in its petrol or CNG avatar, it's suddenly making a lot of sense to me in an electric avatar.
  • Getting rid of that 2 cylinder, bad sounding and lethargic engine.
  • e-Cars are still considered as city cars in India and a Nano makes a lot of sense as being one.
  • Electric = Automatic, sounds very sensible for a small city car
  • 4 doors and a boot will be possible, especially if hub motors will be used. E2O gets only 2 doors
  • Nano has a roomy interior on a small footprint, if launched at right price and marketed in right way, this car has got some potential in e-avatar
Agree with all the points you have raised. However, E2O also has a four-door variant now.
nikipedia87 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2017, 15:47   #14
BHPian

Quote:
[*]Getting rid of that 2 cylinder, bad sounding and lethargic engine.
I own a 2009 tata nano cx. I have done 30k kms till date, never I found it under powered or "lethargic"in city, of course it looses steam after 80kmph on high way. I get 17 kmpl with some spirited driving in city and 37 kmpl on high way @75kmph speed. By the way I own a innova crysta and creta but my first pick in the city is the Tata Nano.
Vulken Auto is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2017, 18:19   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
The doubts are over Jayem.
Jayem has been a partner for Tata for quite some time now, for some important work that goes into Tata cars. They may not have done production (or may have produced other stuff), but they have been around long enough in the auto industry. Hopefully, they will succeed.
condor is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks