Team-BHP > Electric Cars

Search this Thread
Old 7th December 2017, 16:17   #1
Senior - BHPian

1st Tesla arrives in India - The Model X

Came across these photographs of a Tesla Model X (hard to tell the variant) being offloaded in Mumbai.

The car should be residing in Mumbai going by the banner.

Source - Unknown

Couldn't find an existing thread on Teslas in India when I searched. Please merge if it does exist.
Attached Thumbnails
1st Tesla arrives in India - The Model X-img20171207wa0063.jpg  

1st Tesla arrives in India - The Model X-img20171207wa0061.jpg  

1st Tesla arrives in India - The Model X-img20171207wa0060.jpg  

1st Tesla arrives in India - The Model X-img20171207wa0062.jpg  

1st Tesla arrives in India - The Model X-img20171207wa0059.jpg  

Last edited by Scorcher : 7th December 2017 at 16:21.
Scorcher is offline   (51) Thanks
Old 7th December 2017, 16:35   #2
BHPian

These pics are spreading like wild fire. Already received them from 3 different people in the last 15 minutes!

On a side note, I'm wondering what the owner is going to do for the data plan. Since Tesla isn't operational in India, there's no way the owner can avail the free data for the SIM card in the car. The Model X better be compatible with a Jio sim!

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 9th October 2020 at 12:04. Reason: Please use emoticons provided in forum text editor. Thanks.
Rosso Corsa is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 7th December 2017, 16:59   #3
BHPian

re: 1st Tesla arrives in India - The Model X

Jio might have bought the car to India, to check their network/service compatibility with Tesla, so that they can offer a bundled package in the future for all Jio customers.
venkikewl is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 7th December 2017, 17:20   #4
BHPian

I just saw the photos on Facebook too. It's really exciting to see REAL performance EV's coming to India. But I wonder if the purpose of importing the car is for ARAI testing or something else?
musclecar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th December 2017, 17:27   #5
Senior - BHPian

Whilst we’re all rejoicing the entry of the first Tesla (not sure if it’s an import or brought here for any exhibitions), imagine what could possibly be happening in the drawing rooms of our Indian manufacturers?! They must have been contemplating plans of stepping on the gas pedal to ensure their planners come out with all guns blazing to make EV products. Tata and Mahindra have Tigor and Verito to target the entry level passenger segments but who will take on this Giant who’s already got a monster with Electric power?
Old 7th December 2017, 17:44   #6
Senior - BHPian

Don't quote me on this, but I personally don't believe this is the much awaited "foray of Tesla Motors to India".

I believe this is a private import by an individual and I'm sure will be a first of many to follow.
Scorcher is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 7th December 2017, 18:10   #7
BHPian

I have seen a Model X in person. I believe it is not imposing or butch looking like any of the traditional SUVs. But.. but.. it catches your attention in a split second. You know instantly that it is a different type of car - a smart car you may call it.

Anybody will love it!

The same can't be said about model S. Probably because it has become more common in developed markets + it is very sedan like to look like.

The model X is right in between a sedan and a SUV. Do not let the exterior size fool you to think it is small inside.

Welcome to India, Model X. May we see more of your breed.

Last edited by OrangeCar : 7th December 2017 at 18:11.
OrangeCar is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 7th December 2017, 18:11   #8
A.K
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by musclecar View Post
I just saw the photos on Facebook too. It's really exciting to see REAL performance EV's coming to India. But I wonder if the purpose of importing the car is for ARAI testing or something else?
From what I learn, it is a private import by a Mumbai based business house. They happen to run fuel pumps as well.

Last edited by A.K : 7th December 2017 at 18:13.
A.K is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 7th December 2017, 21:03   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCar View Post
I have seen a Model X in person. I believe it is not imposing or butch looking like any of the traditional SUVs. But.. but.. it catches your attention in a split second. You know instantly that it is a different type of car - a smart car you may call it.

Anybody will love it!

The same can't be said about model S. Probably because it has become more common in developed markets + it is very sedan like to look like.

The model X is right in between a sedan and a SUV. Do not let the exterior size fool you to think it is small inside.

Welcome to India, Model X. May we see more of your breed.

I agree. The model X isn't a proper SUV or even a crossover. It's somewhere in between. Its fairly spacious but the 3rd row isn't really for adults. I honestly don't think the build quality and fit and finish of any Tesla is remotely close to that of the big 3 Germans, Volvo or Lexus.

I keep telling myself that its a IT company that is making an IT product on wheels. The physics of having an electric powered motor and a low CG along with the weight distribution that is giving this IT product an advantage over the cars that it competes with.
HKap is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th December 2017, 09:31   #10
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.K View Post
From what I learn, it is a private import by a Mumbai based business house. They happen to run fuel pumps as well.
Wow what an irony !

Now waiting for the 2018 Derby Season, hoping that the owner would drive down the Tesla Model X to Pune like he usually does every year with his other cars.

Any idea about the spec? From the side profile pics, it seems the car has captain seats in the second row. Does this mean it is the 6-seater version?
//M is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th December 2017, 09:40   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkikewl View Post
Jio might have bought the car to India, to check their network/service compatibility with Tesla, so that they can offer a bundled package in the future for all Jio customers.
How about in typical Jio style, buy a Jio connection, get a Tesla free LOL
Old 8th December 2017, 09:43   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorcher View Post
Don't quote me on this, but I personally don't believe this is the much awaited "foray of Tesla Motors to India".
TESLA launch is delayed in India.

TESLA is aware of this import and rather will be looking with interest on the response to gauge the interest for its vehicles in a market.

Quote:
If buyers have been interested enough to go through the more difficult process of privately importing its vehicles, it’s a good indicator of the market’s interest
Here is the take on it,
- Such imports are not new to TESLA,somewhat popular in markets where Tesla has yet to enter.
-Biggest problem is Service. Some end up shipping their car to another country or sometimes, Tesla offers to send out a technician
-Other problems, like charging, onboard internet services, and navigation, are sometimes more difficult or not available if Tesla is not officially supporting the market yet.

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 8th December 2017 at 09:44.
volkman10 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th December 2017, 10:01   #13
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: 1st Tesla arrives in India - The Model X

Very happy to see what is currently the definitive EV brand in India. But not happy with the model choice . The Model X is so ugly - wish the owner had chosen a Model S instead. Imagine that showing up at a drag race and teaching a Ferrari a thing or two on the Amby Valley airstrip .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosso Corsa View Post
On a side note, I'm wondering what the owner is going to do for the data plan.
You can update your Tesla via home / office WiFi.
GTO is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 8th December 2017, 10:17   #14
BHPian

Re: 1st Tesla arrives in India - The Model X

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The Model X is so ugly - wish the owner had chosen a Model S instead. Imagine that showing up at a drag race and teaching a Ferrari a thing or two on the Amby Valley airstrip .
The Model X can teach the science of acceleration to these IC supercars as well. Not in style though.

Here it is, demolishing the most powerful muscle car in the world! The Dodge Challenger Hellcat :

Last edited by The Brutailer : 8th December 2017 at 10:33.
The Brutailer is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 8th December 2017, 11:31   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
You can update your Tesla via home / office WiFi.
It's not about the software update. A lot of the car's features are dependent on mobile data. INCLUDING Navigation, which depends on Google Maps, unlike other manufacturers which have preloaded maps. Without data access you cannot reroute or get real time traffic updates. You cannot even navigate unless the map has been saved or is part of the regular commute.

The only way out is to put in a SIM card for data or setup a USB dongle in the car. Which is going to cost quite a bit since the data consumption is pretty high, mostly due to constant performance feedback being sent to Tesla. The company bundles in unlimited data when you buy the car, but that is restricted to the country of purchase. This is where Indian (and other places where Tesla is unofficially available) owners are at a loss - paying out of your pocket for data.
Rosso Corsa is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed