..welcome the move. 42 68.85%
..are disappointed. 19 31.15%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 23rd January 2018, 15:45   #1
BHPian

Brace yourselves! Next-gen Jaguar XJ to be fully electric

Quote:
The Jaguar XJ will be reinvented as an electric car for its next generation, which will go on sale in 2019 after a launch at the end of 2018, the 50th anniversary of the first XJ.
Well, it’s a bold move. And I myself am surprised to say that I kind of welcome it. Now don’t get me wrong, I’m a hard core petrol head. Infact, not only electric, I despise even Diesel engines. Yet, I think an electric power train perfectly suits a flagship luxury sedan.

Think of it this way, do people buy an S-Class or Rolls Royce to race with supercars making wicked noises or do they buy it for the unparalleled isolation from outside world?

Brace yourselves! Next-gen Jaguar XJ to be fully electric-dccf69d1e6dc4f219d7bbe813aa83085.jpeg

But my concern is this: Stuff from luxury cars always trickles down into mainstream cars. And that, makes me a bit sad.

Source : Autocar UK

Last edited by Jaggu : 23rd January 2018 at 16:32.
The Brutailer is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2018, 16:08   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Brace yourselves! Next-gen Jaguar XJ to be fully electric

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Brutailer View Post
Well, it’s a bold move... Yet, I think an electric power train perfectly suits a flagship luxury sedan.

But my concern is this: Stuff from luxury cars always trickles down into mainstream cars. And that, makes me a bit sad.
This was going to happen sooner or later. The current-get XJ has been on sale since 2009 and would be almost a 10 yr old car by the time the replacement comes.

Further, as you said, things from the luxury cars trickle down to mainstream ones is true - E class is 80% S Class, new Verna has features from a segment above, etc. But the electric is here whether we like it or not. However look at it this way, with the world moving on to the electric cars, the petrol prices will fall and you might still be able to run an odd petrol car from your garage, much to the envy of others.
blackwasp is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2018, 16:32   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Lets hope they are talking about only one of the variants being all electric & not all.

Last edited by karan561 : 23rd January 2018 at 16:34. Reason: Typo
karan561 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2018, 16:35   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
Lets hope they are talking about only one of the variants being all electric & not all.
It’s going fully electric as per the sources.
The Brutailer is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2018, 18:34   #5
BHPian

Among the luxury sedans, there are few which make you want to drive and not be chauffered around, a highly responsive V8 which is silent when you want and shouty when you give her the beans is what differentiated the Jag from the rest of posers. The skunkworks within the German Trio never could make one car as cohesive as the XJ. That nature sure will be missed and i have voted my disappointment in that.

But then Jag never sold enough of XJ to challenge the Germans and electric motor should give it a differentiator it it comes before the Porsche Mission E. If wishes were horses, I would imagine a car with the grunt to provide straightline performance of a Tesla Model S and a setting to disable the traction control to produce copious amount of tyre smoke. That would be at least half of what Jag represents now.
rohitoasis is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2018, 20:26   #6
BHPian

I rode (in) the Tesla Model X 90D quite a bit recently. The car was barely 3 months old, and had done around 40,000 kms, albeit on excellent roads. When the driver told me the age of the car, I didn't believe it. It was so damn creaky from everywhere. Those cars are not well put together. Also, the road noise that comes in is louder than any engine noise in similarly priced luxury cars.
Yes, we urged him to give it the beans, and fiddled with the controls, and enjoyed the blistering acceleration, even with a car full of people and luggage, and the giant windscreen just created this.. vibe. For the front passenger, the windscreen implementation of the Model X feels far superior in effect to any sunroof, panoramic or otherwise of any car that I've sat in.
Yet, all of this will get old. The car felt just like some tinny project work. Eh. And for it to creak like that having run on those kinds of roads? Pfft.

What I'm getting at is this: building a good mechanical car takes a long time, a lot of learning, and a lot of patience, and these guys have learnt it over time, becoming better with every iteration, every time for decades. If they can get the electric and electronic implementation right, they can create far superior luxury cars.
ach1lles is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2018, 22:52   #7
BHPian

I happened to sit over a cup with the technical head of JLR India recently and had a long discussion on this. He clearly said there management has decided to go all electric with all the variants and in about 5 years or so all the Jaguars sold will be offered in electric variants ONLY.
AdiSinghV12 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th January 2018, 02:02   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

While full electric drivetrains are always welcome, a piece of emotion like the XJ deserves the supercharged V8 as an option. Always.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 24th January 2018, 10:53   #9
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Brace yourselves! Next-gen Jaguar XJ to be fully electric

I'm a bit surprised by the news. As Karan said, was hoping that an electric motor would be one of the options, selling alongside a petrol & diesel.

But if it's built to be only an EV, then it will be a better EV. A pure electric vehicle is always superior to one that is designed for internal-combustion engines too (compromises have to be made).

The move is bold. I think Jaguar can take the risk as the benefits (including image) appear to outweigh the negatives. Plus, the XJ was never a volume seller like the S-Class, 7-Series & A8. The Germans can't afford to go fully electric just yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ach1lles View Post
I rode (in) the Tesla Model X 90D quite a bit recently. The car was barely 3 months old, and had done around 40,000 kms, albeit on excellent roads. When the driver told me the age of the car, I didn't believe it. It was so damn creaky from everywhere.
True. And Tesla is going to be in big trouble once everyone else arrives to the party with a full range of EVs. Then, Tesla's advantage will be their charging network, but even that won't be forever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
a piece of emotion like the XJ deserves the supercharged V8 as an option.
Well said man.
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th January 2018, 09:21   #10
Senior - BHPian

I am sitting on the fence for this poll.

I am disappointed that there won't be a supercharged petrol. But then, going fully electric might prove to be a masterstroke for Jag amid its German rivals. A supercharged XJ will win only polls, but when its time to vote with money, most will certainly pick one of the Germans.

Jag has always been very bold with the XJ. The previous generation was its full aluminium car. And the current one looks like nothing else that came out previously.

With the genius Ian Callum at the helm, it will be a walk in the park for Jag to make it look good with the better packaging that an all electric car offers.

Here is the Autocar image for reference.
Brace yourselves! Next-gen Jaguar XJ to be fully electric-jagnews1080.jpg
Brace yourselves! Next-gen Jaguar XJ to be fully electric-jagnews1081.jpg

source
deetjohn is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th January 2018, 11:10   #11
Team-BHP Support

This could be a pretty smart move from Jaguar; XJ is relatively safe for this experiment. Unlike an XF or even the XE, this one has not really caught on against the segment players. So maybe moving out of the competition and position it completely differently maybe a good option.
Old 4th May 2020, 15:22   #12
Senior - BHPian

Jaguar XJ Electric Sedan spied. Jaguar Claims The New XJ Is Stunning, But Not A Traditional Sedan.

Brace yourselves! Next-gen Jaguar XJ to be fully electric-smartselect_20200504151255_chrome.jpg

Brace yourselves! Next-gen Jaguar XJ to be fully electric-smartselect_20200504151313_chrome.jpg

Brace yourselves! Next-gen Jaguar XJ to be fully electric-smartselect_20200504151328_chrome.jpg

Brace yourselves! Next-gen Jaguar XJ to be fully electric-smartselect_20200504151404_chrome.jpg

Brace yourselves! Next-gen Jaguar XJ to be fully electric-smartselect_20200504151439_chrome.jpg

https://www.motor1.com/news/419736/j...t-traditional/
Venkatesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2020, 22:00   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Brutailer View Post
It’s going fully electric as per the sources.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohitoasis View Post
But then Jag never sold enough of XJ to challenge the Germans and electric motor should give it a differentiator it it comes before the Porsche Mission E. If wishes were horses, I would imagine a car with the grunt to provide straightline performance of a Tesla Model S and a setting to disable the traction control to produce copious amount of tyre smoke. That would be at least half of what Jag represents now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdiSinghV12 View Post
I He clearly said there management has decided to go all electric with all the variants and in about 5 years or so all the Jaguars sold will be offered in electric variants ONLY.
The biggest market for the BMW 7 and A8, the second largest for the S Class is China. Starting with Beijing and Shanghai, car ownership is rationed, Singapore style except for electric cars.

Expect the XJ to make waves and gain major market share out there within that segment! Considering the EQS is on the way, Jaguar may not be too wrong.

Jaguars current "iron lung" which keeps it above water are rebodied Velars and Evoques

Most big limos are used around urban areas and moderate intercity. Fat-Cats would prefer to fly on longer routes. The typical owner will have space for their own charger.

The I-pace is a great learning experience for Jaguar to understand user behaviour and experience. They have given the NHS in the UK a fleet of them to use and monitor.

Jaguars survived front wheel drive, diesel and four cylinders, electric propulsion would be a worthy evolution!
Old 16th February 2021, 07:53   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

The next-generation, all-electric 2021 Jaguar XJ has had its plug pulled just months before it was expected to be unveiled in full.

Quote:
As part of the announcement of its new Reimagine business plan overnight – which will see the marque go electric-only by 2025 – Jaguar confirmed the upcoming, zero-emissions XJ replacement "will not form part of the line-up", as the model "does not fit with [its] vision of a reimagined Jaguar brand.
Quote:
The British brand has yet to provide specific reasoning behind the decision, however it's expected the flagship sedan's architecture and production logistics are to blame.
Link

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks