Team-BHP > Electric Cars

Search this Thread
Old 20th June 2018, 15:03   #1
Senior - BHPian

Mercedes-Benz planning to build EVs in India

According to a media report, Mercedes-Benz is planning to manufacture electric vehicles at its factory in Chakan, Pune.

Mercedes-Benz planning to build EVs in India-eq-concept.jpg

Thanks to the government's efforts to promote e-mobility, Mercedes-Benz believes that India will emerge as a key market for EVs in the near future. But, local manufacturing can only begin after a thorough evaluation, since the country still lacks the charging infrastructure essential for EVs. Government tariffs on imports are also a concern and could prevent companies from investing in local production. Mercedes-Benz could launch EVs in India at reasonable prices, if the government reduces the import duty for a certain period.

Mercedes-Benz plans to launch its new electric sub-brand called EQ next year. The Mercedes EQ C electric SUV will be the first product under the new sub-brand and it will rival the Tesla Model X and the Jaguar I-Pace in the international market.

Source: Economic Times

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by TusharK : 20th June 2018 at 15:05.
TusharK is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th June 2018, 17:07   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Mercedes-Benz planning to build EVs in India

In one of the EQC videos it was mentioned that they use the same assembly line to produce EV, PHEV and ICE cars so that they can cope with high or low demand for any of these drive trains. In fact Mercedes has gone to great lengths to make their EV cars feel like any regular car. Jaguar I-Pace is also a good example of EV cars not looking too quirky. I never warmed up to the fact that EVs have to look futuristic or radically different.
androdev is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed