Team-BHP > Electric Cars


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2019, 09:03   #286
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Pune
Posts: 29
Thanked: 210 Times
Default Re: The Hyundai Kona electric SUV, now launched @ 25.3 lakhs

I get the delivery of my car today, hyundai tried to convince me and family to come for a press conference tomorrow but we refused and asked for the delivery today.

To clarify some of the questions mentioned in this forum.

Cost in pune was 25.5 on road, which includes 1st year comprehensive with 3 years 3rd party insurance.
Rto charges were just 2500

You get one permanent home charging point which is included in the cost, no 80k charges for the same. There is installation cost which is 3k. The portable charger is also given which requires a plug point for charging.

Was told it requires 40 units for a full charge which comes to Rs 500 per charge. Will need to verify this once i charge the car.

Additional surprise cost is the cabling for the charger which you need to get installed and depends on the distance of your meter and parking space. It cost me 28k for the same.

Current lack of charging infra will make customers think twice. For me 90% of driving is in city and at the most 2 ppl in the car so worked for me. My trips to mumbai will need to use the portable charger for sure. Longer distance trips not going to work for now.

Hoping the charging infra starts to grow, hyundai outlets will have them and indian oil petrol pumps should get them in the future.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 26th August 2019 at 16:12. Reason: many typos. please do a spell check before posting. Thanks.
sheldon.dz is offline   (43) Thanks
Old 25th August 2019, 11:16   #287
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Sankar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Yes
Posts: 5,323
Thanked: 6,677 Times
Default Re: The Hyundai Kona electric SUV, now launched @ 25.3 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheldon.dz View Post
I get the delivery of my car today, hyundai tried to convince me and family to come for a press conference tomorrow but we refused and asked for the delivery today.
Congrats Sheldon

Quote:
Cost in pune was 25.5 on road, which includes 1st year comprehensive with 3 years 3rd party insurance.
Rto charges were just 2500
Great price! I'm still waiting for that EV scheme in our state, but I don't see it coming.

Quote:
You get one permanent home charging point which is included in the cost, no 80k charges for the same. There is installation cost which is 3k. The portable charger is also give which requires a plug point for charging.
Does the portable charger have a 15amp or 5amp plug? If its 15amp it will be wise to have a 15amp extension cord made and keep it in the boot for those times when the available 15amp plug is deep inside the building.

Quote:
Was told it requires 40 units for a full charge which comes to Rs 500 per charge. Will need to verify this once i charge the car.
Nice!! Which means with a PV plant on roof this car can be driven literally for free if one were to always charge from home.

Quote:
Additional surprise cost is the cabling for the charger which you need to get installed and depends on the distance of your meter and parking space. It cost me 28k for the same.
Can you tell me the what gauge wire the charger required and the distance laid in your case? Any other specifics which the Hyundai team laid down for the wiring?

Quote:
Current lack of charging infra will make customers think twice. For me 90% of driving is in city and at the most 2 ppl in the car so worked for me. My trips to mumbai will need to use the portable charger for sure. Longer distance trips not going to work for now.

Hoping the charging infra starts to grow, hyundai outlets will have them and indian oil petrol pumps should get them in the future.
Yes that is a concern, it would limit my travel to ~150km one way if I am to return to base the same day on single charge. It is not a problem 90% of the time but except for that limited feeling till fast chargers pop up everywhere.
Sankar is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 25th August 2019, 15:01   #288
Senior - BHPian
 
Sebring's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Dubai/Bengaluru
Posts: 2,044
Thanked: 5,843 Times
Default Re: The Hyundai Kona electric SUV, now launched @ 25.3 lakhs

Congrats, yours will be the most awaited ownership review. I would have got my car now but Diesels seems to have got a fresh lease of life after the new announcements made. I'll wait and watch the space. Kindly share installation pics, of the unit, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheldon.dz View Post
I get the delivery of my car today
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2019, 16:59   #289
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 173
Thanked: 139 Times
Default

Heartiest congratulations on your purchase. Wishing you many happy miles of safe and happy drive.

The home charger they install, does this require 3 phase electricity connection ? Or 1 phase (3 KVA) is enough ?
chandras1 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2019, 17:39   #290
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Pune
Posts: 29
Thanked: 210 Times
Default Re: The Hyundai Kona electric SUV, now launched @ 25.3 lakhs

Requirements for the home charger installation attached. The cable is a 3 core 10 sq mm CU cable.
Attached Thumbnails
The Hyundai Kona electric SUV, now launched @ 25.3 lakhs-20190808_180247.jpg  

sheldon.dz is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 25th August 2019, 21:45   #291
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Pune
Posts: 427
Thanked: 734 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheldon.dz View Post
I get the delivery of my car today.
Congrats buddy! You will now be one of the most sought after celebrities in Pune!

Can you (and other Kona buyers) tell the reason for picking Kona? Total Cost of Ownership wise it seems to be expensive.
pseudo_coder is offline  
Old 25th August 2019, 22:54   #292
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Pune
Posts: 29
Thanked: 210 Times
Default Re: The Hyundai Kona electric SUV, now launched @ 25.3 lakhs

Owned a polo for 6 years, been looking at a change for the past year and a half. My requirements were
1. Automatic
2. Top notch safety
3. 90% city driving
NOTE: kona was not even in my list.

My budget was in the range of 20-22l.
Test drove the following
1. Jeep compass - no diesel options so tried out the petrol automatic. Friends car has not given him more than 7 in the past year so dropped this.
2. Creta diesel AT- lack of safety features and did not feel like i was driving an 18l car.
3. Hector - again petrol option only and with a car of that size not sure how the fuel economy is.
4. Wanted to test drive the Octavia but then the Kona launched.

Almost waited for the Seltos, but after doing the math
1. 5% Gst reduce cost by over 1.6l
2. Got 2.65 l for my polo
3. And again 1.5 l income tax rebate the Kona was within my budget.

I did compromise on size and back seat space as Kona is like a larger i20 but again my driving is 90% city. Max 2 ppl in the car most of the times along with dog, finding a parking spot would also be easier in city. So decided to go for the Kona.

Last edited by Aditya : 26th August 2019 at 16:30. Reason: Typo
sheldon.dz is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 26th August 2019, 06:55   #293
Senior - BHPian
 
Sebring's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Dubai/Bengaluru
Posts: 2,044
Thanked: 5,843 Times
Default Re: The Hyundai Kona electric SUV, now launched @ 25.3 lakhs

I'm sure you must feel like a celeb with all the attention, of what I consider the first real electric. How have the last few days been? I mean did you charge it to the fullest? Is it holding the charge well? Any heat issues? Kona is exactly i20, or smaller, I felt. It's not larger when you see internal dimensions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheldon.dz View Post
I did compromise on size and back seat space as Kona is like a larger i20 but again my driving is 90% city. finding a parking spot would also be easier in city.
Sebring is offline  
Old 26th August 2019, 10:14   #294
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 2,865
Thanked: 2,481 Times
Default Re: The Hyundai Kona electric SUV, now launched @ 25.3 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheldon.dz View Post
1. 5% Gst reduce cost by over 1.6l
2. Got 2.65 l for my polo
3. And again 1.5 l income tax rebate the Kona was within my budget.
Congratulations on being an agent of change
Thank you for sharing the home charger installation and cabling details. Will track your ownership experience with great curiosity. Please keep sharing.

What is the process to avail this 1.5L income tax rebate of the Kona loan?
anandpadhye is offline  
Old 26th August 2019, 10:30   #295
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Pune
Posts: 29
Thanked: 210 Times
Default Re: The Hyundai Kona electric SUV, now launched @ 25.3 lakhs

About the income tax rebate, i will need to speak to my CA for further details since this has to be done in Aug 2020 have not spoken to him yet.
sheldon.dz is offline  
Old 26th August 2019, 10:43   #296
Senior - BHPian
 
bigron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: NSEW
Posts: 1,253
Thanked: 2,269 Times
Default Re: The Hyundai Kona electric SUV, now launched @ 25.3 lakhs

Congratulations!
Being an early adopter, your experience with a new product will be of immense help to prospective buyers.
I look forward to your views on the car after you have spent some time with it.

I also strongly suggest joining some international forums that are for the Kona. They are an immense source of knowledge since you at this stage would be clueless about certain things and would require answers to various questions.
Take the local dealerships knowledge on the Kona with a pinch of salt and do your own reading also.

Last edited by bigron : 26th August 2019 at 11:00.
bigron is offline  
Old 26th August 2019, 10:50   #297
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Pune
Posts: 29
Thanked: 210 Times
Default Re: The Hyundai Kona electric SUV, now launched @ 25.3 lakhs

So far just driven 50-60 km, the auto hold feature makes driving painless inside the city . Also getting used to the re-generative breaking currently set that to level 2 to see how long does the battery sustain.

Have a few questions which i will clarify with the Hyundai execs today like

1. Should the setting for re-generative breaking always be on. How does this effect breaks over a period of time. Will do some research online too.

2. Today faced a scenario where while entering my office the security needed to check the car boot, the car was in drive mode with auto hold. But when i tried to accelerate the car did not move. Then realized the parking break was applied, there is a button for that but i did not press it.

When i took the delivery the battery charge was not 100% the display showed me 250 odd km. The RSA executive will be visiting my place today to get the wall charger installed.
sheldon.dz is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th August 2019, 10:54   #298
Senior - BHPian
 
itwasntme's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: BANGALORE
Posts: 4,541
Thanked: 5,747 Times
Default Re: The Hyundai Kona electric SUV, now launched @ 25.3 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheldon.dz View Post
Additional surprise cost is the cabling for the charger which you need to get installed and depends on the distance of your meter and parking space. It cost me 28k for the same.
Congratulations - Hope you have the patience to answer all our questions going forward!

W.r.t. the charger cabling, 28K is a lot of money. What exactly did they do and how much was the distance between your electric outlet and the charging box/infrastructure?

Why I ask is that I stay in a independent villa, and have my mains box at the garage itself barely 2 metres from my current vehicles. I am assuming I do not need to factor in this investment as and when we move to electric?
itwasntme is offline  
Old 26th August 2019, 11:14   #299
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Pune
Posts: 29
Thanked: 210 Times
Default Re: The Hyundai Kona electric SUV, now launched @ 25.3 lakhs

My building maintenance team and electrician went and purchased the cable from a wholesaler, which i assume has a fixed meter length that can be purchased. Also factored in the installation charges in the cost as the building team did not take anything from me. My parking space is around 25-30 meters away from the meter.

After getting the price quote i immediately called the Hyundai workshop team that visited my building, he also confirmed that the cable is expensive.

Last edited by Eddy : 26th August 2019 at 11:21. Reason: bldg = building
sheldon.dz is offline  
Old 26th August 2019, 14:37   #300
Senior - BHPian
 
speedmiester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: bangalore
Posts: 1,831
Thanked: 2,821 Times
Default Re: The Hyundai Kona electric SUV, now launched @ 25.3 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheldon.dz View Post
So far just driven 50-60 km, the auto hold feature makes driving painless inside the city . Also getting used to the re-generative breaking currently set that to level 2 to see how long does the battery sustain.

Have a few questions which i will clarify with the Hyundai execs today like

1. Should the setting for re-generative breaking always be on. How does this effect breaks over a period of time. Will do some research online too.

2. Today faced a scenario where while entering my office the security needed to check the car boot, the car was in drive mode with auto hold. But when i tried to accelerate the car did not move. Then realized the parking break was applied, there is a button for that but i did not press it.

When i took the delivery the battery charge was not 100% the display showed me 250 odd km. The RSA executive will be visiting my place today to get the wall charger installed.
Congrats on your new EV.
I have evaluated Kona as well, but it's on the back burner for now for me.

With regenerative braking your brakes will last a longer time.
Since you are new to EVs and regen braking, I would recommend you keep the regen to level 2.
Level 3 is quite aggressive and can be a bother in city driving and can lead to rear ending. But you can literally drive with one pedal with level 3 regen.

Use the level 3 regen when you are on clear roads and on highways, this will add significantly to the range of the battery. During my test drive, level 3 regen added 0.3km to the range everytime I let go off the throttle from a speed of 60Kmph to 35Kmph.

With the earlier 2 door E2O, the regen was good and people have driven 100Km range E2O to over 130KMs with careful driving.

Same can be replicated with Kona with it's far aggressive regen braking. With careful driving, you can stretch the range of Kona to over 350Kms.

Happy motoring.
speedmiester is offline   (8) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright 2000 - 2021, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks