Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd September 2019, 20:06   #316
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Hyundai Kona electric SUV, now launched @ 25.3 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
Typically max power provided to residential homes and apartments is 5KW. The wall mounted charger is 7KW. Were there any changes made by your electricity service provider to factor in additional power?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Where are you getting the 5KW figure? Are you sure that's max power, or is it average consumption?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheldon.dz View Post
So yesterday the RSA executive from Bajaj allianz visited for the installation of the wall mounted charger.
99% of houses have Single Phase meter with Sanctioned Load KW which in govt words is maximum load drawn at a given point of time.

Since the charger has 7 KW requirement, the sanctioned load needs to be more.

Say 12 KW.

You would also need to change the meter to 3 Phase meter to support the higher sanctioned load.

There can be incident of fire when load drawn is higher than sanctioned. Happened in our building.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2019, 20:57   #317
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
99% of houses have Single Phase meter with Sanctioned Load KW which in govt words is maximum load drawn at a given point of time.

Since the charger has 7 KW requirement, the sanctioned load needs to be more.

Say 12 KW.

You would also need to change the meter to 3 Phase meter to support the higher sanctioned load.

There can be incident of fire when load drawn is higher than sanctioned. Happened in our building.
Well put. Can the engineers here also explain whether there are any risks when there is load-shedding i.e. no ESCOM power and the community DG set switches on? Is there any technical risk and will the load on the DG set drastically increase?

Why I ask is that we have a trio of community DG sets whose costs are shared equally regardless of size of apartment & no. of light switches. We also have insanely long periods of load-shedding due to being somewhat outside the city proper.

Will those having non-electric conventional cars be unfairly sharing the DG set (& diesel) costs for those charging their EVs when there is load-shedding?
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2019, 21:38   #318
BHPian

Some experience charging the Kona at BESCOM charging point. Doesn't mention the exact location though.
https://twitter.com/arunbhats/status...79487926190080
sanjaykk is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2019, 21:49   #319
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Where are you getting the 5KW figure? Are you sure that's max power, or is it average consumption?
It is mentioned in the Bill. Here is my Electricity Bill

The Hyundai Kona electric SUV, now launched @ 25.3 lakhs-bescom.jpg
Sarvodaya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2019, 13:08   #320
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Well put. Can the engineers here also explain whether there are any risks when there is load-shedding i.e. no ESCOM power and the community DG set switches on? Is there any technical risk and will the load on the DG set drastically increase?

Why I ask is that we have a trio of community DG sets whose costs are shared equally regardless of size of apartment & no. of light switches. We also have insanely long periods of load-shedding due to being somewhat outside the city proper.

Will those having non-electric conventional cars be unfairly sharing the DG set (& diesel) costs for those charging their EVs when there is load-shedding?
I doubt that you will be able to charge your vehicle from DG connection. The connection to the charger is usually taken directly from your meter box where there is no DG connectivity, only ESCOM power will be available at your meter. More over, 7KW is a tremendous load for a DG set which will be usually running near its peak power. For my apartment, the DG power is limited to 2KW per flat and BESCOM power is 5KW. There is an ACCL (Automatic Changeover and Current Limiter) installed on each flat with 2KW rating for Generator power. If we pull any additional load, the ACCL will switch off momentarily.

When I installed my charger for e2o, the community was very apprehensive about the DG load inspite of me assuring that the charger will not be using DG power. After installation, they checked, double checked and tested with a trial run of DG to get convinced.
Holyghost is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th September 2019, 16:14   #321
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holyghost View Post

I doubt that you will be able to charge your vehicle from DG connection.

When I installed my charger for e2o, the community was very apprehensive about the DG load inspite of me assuring that the charger will not be using DG power. After installation, they checked, double checked and tested with a trial run of DG to get convinced.
Thanks for a immensely useful answer - what wattage is the e2o charger? Seems to be 3Kw from what I can see.

So how does one charge a full EV when there are incessant power cuts?
Old 4th September 2019, 18:08   #322
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Thanks for a immensely useful answer - what wattage is the e2o charger? Seems to be 3Kw from what I can see.

So how does one charge a full EV when there are incessant power cuts?
Yes, E2O charger is a 3KW one. 1 hr of charge at 7KW should give you 50+ KM range. Even during incessant power cuts, if you plugin over night, you should be able to manage 100-150 kms range if you get atleast 2hrs of power supply.

I am yet to face a day where I end up with no charge in the morning. I charge my vehicle once in 2 or 3 days and my vehicle will have ~20KM charge left when I plug it in. Even if it does not get charged, I can mange my next day office trip since the distance is < 15kms.

Only commercial fleets require daily or multiple daily charges. Such fleets will have fast chargers and backup power supplies. In case of personal vehicles, It is not like you have to charge your vehicle every day. If your usage is such that a daily full charge is required, then that EV is not fit for your purpose. You better wait for another vehicle which could give you a range for atleast 2-4 days worth of usage.
Holyghost is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2019, 10:45   #323
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjaykk View Post
Some experience charging the Kona at BESCOM charging point. Doesn't mention the exact location though.
https://twitter.com/arunbhats/status...79487926190080
Its actually quite nice that it was charging at 21KW from 25KW DC charger after 80% of SOC. These chargers are at BESCOM office and looks nice.

The Hyundai Kona electric SUV, now launched @ 25.3 lakhs-bescom.jpg

He is also providing nice updates on efficiency of Kona. Even with hammering on open roads, its going 8.4KM per kWh (unit).

Name:  kona_e1.PNG
Views: 3489
Size:  167.6 KB

9.2km /kWh for the total trip of 25.3 KMs. At highest slab rate of Rs 7.8 per unit of BESCOM, it comes to just Rs 21.45 for trip 25.3 kms. That's less than Rs 1 per KM.

Name:  kona_e2.PNG
Views: 3482
Size:  300.7 KB

Source:
https://twitter.com/arunbhats/status...00055517143040

Last edited by sri_tesla : 6th September 2019 at 11:05.
sri_tesla is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th September 2019, 10:55   #324
BHPian

Quote:
It takes the charger around 30-60 sec to turn on, then there is a card like a credit card that needs to be swiped for the charger to get in charging mode. Once this state is reached then you can connect the cable to the car.
To stop charging the card again needs to be swiped and it takes about 20 sec before you can detach the cable from the car.
What happens in case of power failure? Will it start charging again when the power comes back? Else it will be a pain just to swipe a card each in case of intermittent power failure.
KL01toKA03 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2019, 14:43   #325
BHPian

Quote:
No additional changes the electrician just did the cabeling work connecting my meter to the charger. Now the hyundai guy has also asked to install a 15amp plug point at the side of the charger for the portable charger.
Hi Sheldon,

Congrats on the great EV car. I've seen some great reviews on the bigger capacity battery abroad and hopefully this is as good.

Im in the market for a new car now and am very tempted by the Kona. My only issue is that I have to drive from Chennai to Bangalore once in 3 months or so. Curious to know what your range has been like so far? Maybe in Km per Kwh or otherwise.

Thanks.
showboat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2019, 16:54   #326
BHPian

I got a 320 Km after the delivery from the showroom until which i had to charge again. Plan to take it to Mumbai soon, so will get a highway number too.

You will need to charge it mid way Bangalore to Chennai.
sheldon.dz is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 7th September 2019, 06:55   #327
BHPian

Quote:
I got a 320 Km after the delivery from the showroom until which i had to charge again. Plan to take it to Mumbai soon, so will get a highway number too.

You will need to charge it mid way Bangalore to Chennai.
Ok not bad at all. Was that mainly is B2B traffic or normal city traffic?. Let us know if the highway mileage is any better.
Old 7th September 2019, 10:55   #328
BHPian

Pune city traffic a mix of B2B and normal city traffic.
Old 8th September 2019, 22:56   #329
Senior - BHPian

Just hear the tyres squeal like a bus load of noisy school kids on a joy ride>>>
Old 10th September 2019, 16:40   #330
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by showboat View Post
Ok not bad at all. Was that mainly is B2B traffic or normal city traffic?. Let us know if the highway mileage is any better.
highway mileage for an EV would be less than city traffic, in city traffic, an EV would use regenerative braking to claw some of the energy back but in highway, there is less braking and more of constant acceleration. You might see a drop of few kilometers per each Kwh
DarthVeda is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks