Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th October 2018, 21:43   #1
Senior - BHPian

Jaguar might become an electric-only brand

According to a media report, product planners at Jaguar Land Rover (JLR) are considering phasing out gas guzzling cars in the Jaguar line-up in favour of all-electric vehicles. Conventional vehicles could be discontinued in the next 5-7 years.

The XE and XF on sale today are expected to be replaced by an all-electric crossover in 2023, while the next-generation I-Pace is expected in 2025. The E-Pace and F-Pace models could be phased out. An all-electric luxurious XJ is also expected in the next two years.

It is estimated that the company could sell up to 3,00,000 units a year from a 4-5 electric car line-up. The move is also expected to help JLR by reducing the Corporate Average Fuel Economy (CAFE).

Further, the luxury EV segment is expected to appeal to the environmentally conscious customer while offering higher profitability compared to lower segments. EV cars also offer higher refinement levels. They are also allowed to enter low-emission zones in cities like London without paying any charges.

Jaguar might become an electric-only brand-jaguarxf43.jpg

Source: Autocar

Link to the Team-BHP News

Last edited by blackwasp : 12th October 2018 at 21:44.
blackwasp is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 12th October 2018, 22:59   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Jaguar might become an electric-only brand

Jaguar Land Rover is the best SUV maker in the world. They have unfortunately been forced to make unprofitable small cars like the XE to try and demonstrate directional improvement in CAFE. At a time when Tesla is outselling the entire global Jaguar brand sales, moving all electric with the brand and using it to sell more Range Rovers makes immense sense. Hope they actually do this.
Hayek is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th October 2018, 23:15   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Jaguars are defined by the rattly snarl (to me). Actually like a wildcat purr turned up to 11 and then pushed though a bullhorn.
Is this going to be applied across the board, or only barges?
mayankk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2018, 11:19   #4
BANNED

I can quite see Jag going the full electric way. I can almost bet that they may be the one of the first on the EV bandwagon. Small premium carmakers with a high tech image are ideally suited for the EV switch.
sgiitk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th October 2018, 14:15   #5
BHPian

To put things in perspective, EV only brand Tesla is outselling Jaguar in worldwide numbers. In Q3, 2018 Tesla sold twice the number of Jaguar's that too with limited no. of models (S, 3 and X) and Model 3 sales being confined to US and Canada. In Q3, Tesla also outsold another premium brand Porsche in worldwide sale.

For smaller companies like Jaguar, it would be wise to move single drivetrain (EV in this case) to save on development costs.
Attached Images

sri_tesla is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th October 2018, 19:00   #6
Team-BHP Support

Jaguar have gained overwhelming demand for the i-Pace. However, it is constrained in terms of sourcing components and the Magna - Steyr factory capacity. Book one now and you will only get it in April.

As an electric only brand, it might make sense. Lower capacity investment will match the volumes. I read somewhere that Jaguar might do an Aston Martin and buy in BMW engines and modify them for their needs in the short term during the switch over to electric-only.
ajmat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th October 2018, 19:24   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

I believe this is a good move for a relatively low-volume, captive luxury car maker. Although the following thought holds true for all scenarios, in Jaguar's case, since all eggs are in one basket, makes sense to make that basket future-proof.
Old 14th October 2018, 19:27   #8
Senior - BHPian

Am I the only one sad here in reading this news ?

I no doubt feel EV is our future. But I don't think it will happen as soon as 5-7 Year's. Also Jaguar's car's are again not going to be cheap and they have no history with EV vehicle's like how Tesla or even Mahindra enjoy as they are using the same technology in their racing car's too.

Or is this just a publicity stunt to boost their current vehicles sales ?
stanjohn123 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th October 2018, 21:26   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanjohn123 View Post
Also Jaguar's car's are again not going to be cheap and they have no history with EV vehicle's like how Tesla or even Mahindra enjoy as they are using the same technology in their racing car's too.

I agree that they don't have same experience like Tesla but Mahindra? Mahindra bought Reva almost a decade back and they almost ceased the development of EVs when the industry worldwide is actually making rapid progress. Jaguar already made a decent EV (I-PACE) although it does not have same efficiency and performance as Teslas. They will get better over time.

By the way, how could such a move boost their current vehicle (petrol/diesel) sales? If anything, it would actually hurt their sales, as customers might stop buying their cars fearing the lack of support in future.
sri_tesla is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th October 2018, 22:51   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sri_tesla View Post
To put things in perspective, EV only brand Tesla is outselling Jaguar in worldwide numbers. In Q3, 2018 Tesla sold twice the number of Jaguar's that too with limited no. of models (S, 3 and X) and Model 3 sales being confined to US and Canada. In Q3, Tesla also outsold another premium brand Porsche in worldwide sale.

For smaller companies like Jaguar, it would be wise to move single drivetrain (EV in this case) to save on development costs.
Hard comparison. While Telsa might outsell both of those, it is no where close to making a cent of profit while the other two companies are profitable. Not to mention, the cheapest car Tesla offers vs cheapest car that Porsche and Jaguar offers also plays a factory in sales. That and other two companies are gas only luxury brand who are getting into EV, while Tesla's selling point is EV only and half the marketing is the CEO himself.

Not to mention, the immense tax credit you get with Tesla compared to a gas powered car, also plays a factor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanjohn123 View Post
Am I the only one sad here in reading this news ?

I no doubt feel EV is our future. But I don't think it will happen as soon as 5-7 Year's. Also Jaguar's car's are again not going to be cheap and they have no history with EV vehicle's like how Tesla or even Mahindra enjoy as they are using the same technology in their racing car's too.

Could be both. Sure they don't have a history with EV sales, but they do have a history of making cars longer than those two. The new I-Pace by Jaguar is an excellent car as well. Fact of the matter is, EV technology is already there with lots of car manufactures. However lobbying from Oil industry is what is stopping them.

Checkout the GM EV1. Great EV car by GM back in the 90's. But they only allowed leasing and never allowed people to buy the car even after leasing cause of lobbying efforts.
sxenimit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th October 2018, 08:59   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sxenimit View Post
Hard comparison. While Telsa might outsell both of those, it is no where close to making a cent of profit while the other two companies are profitable. Not to mention, the cheapest car Tesla offers vs cheapest car that Porsche and Jaguar offers also plays a factory in sales. That and other two companies are gas only luxury brand who are getting into EV, while Tesla's selling point is EV only and half the marketing is the CEO himself.

Not to mention, the immense tax credit you get with Tesla compared to a gas powered car, also plays a factor.
Cheapest car Tesla sells is costlier (for now - $49,000) than Porsche's ($47,800) and Jaguar's ($36,995). Tesla sales still confined to NA (US, Canada).

Main thing here is Jaguar will continue to sell their petrol/diesel cars for the next few years. They don't need to abandon it. They already selling I-PACE EV. They can develop EV models one by one over time over the next decade. They can use the I-PACE platform to make multiple models and may need another platform for base models.

China is the major market for most of these luxury brands. China's sales are slowing down for the first time since 1990 and most likely to post negative growth in 2018 if the trend continues in Q4. At the same time, BEV and PHEV sales are growing at a rapid pace. Situation is similar in other major markets like US and Europe. Contraction in ICE (petrol/diesel) vehicles and rapid growth in EVs.
sri_tesla is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2018, 10:37   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Jaguar might become an electric-only brand
Well, I don’t think it is a case of might. It is rather about when. Here in Europe many countries are striving to have no petrol/diesel cars sold from 2030 onwards. The rest of the world is likely to lag behind somewhat. But at some point in time most manufacturers will need to go this way.

As a brand Jaguar has much to gain going electric quickly. If you can afford the current Tesla, you are also able to afford most of the current Jaguar line up. So in terms of disposable income and wanting to spend that on a luxurious electric car they are missing out.

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th October 2018, 10:06   #13
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
According to a media report, product planners at Jaguar Land Rover (JLR) are considering phasing out gas guzzling cars in the Jaguar line-up in favour of all-electric vehicles. Conventional vehicles could be discontinued in the next 5-7 years.
I don't think it'll be as soon as 5-7 years. In the longer term, every manufacturer will have moved to electric (or whichever is the next tech to replace ICE engines), but there is no way it'll happen in 5 years. Jaguar-Land Rover has to answer its owners & shareholders - going electric only will bring its sales down to half or less. Take India as an example = EVs are coming, but not everyone is going to buy them due to individual preferences, lack of charging options, lots of highway running or whatever reason. Jaguar-Land Rover sales in India will fall off a cliff if they move their product line to EV only in 2023.

On my 2,000 km round trip to Goa, I actually had to research & find COCO pumps serving pure diesel. Electric charging points in 5-7 years for such a drive? Dream on.

Last edited by GTO : 16th October 2018 at 10:08.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks