Team-BHP > Electric Cars

Search this Thread
Old 1st November 2018, 10:05   #1
Senior - BHPian

Tesla releases parts catalogue to public

Tesla has made available an online parts catalogue for Model 3, Model S, Model X and Roadster cars to the public. The move comes amidst the ‘Right to Repair’ campaign in USA, which asks manufacturers to make available spare parts, diagnostics and service manuals to independent repair shops and owners.

At present, only Tesla owners from the state of Massachusetts can access documents like repair manuals, service manuals, wiring harness etc. as it is the only state mandating sharing this information with owners. Other car makers in USA have agreed to follow this state's format across the country from the 2018 model year in order to avoid state-by-state requirements. Tesla was not a part of this group of automakers. However, it has released the information to the public.

While individually ordering parts from Tesla is not yet possible, it is rumoured to be in the pipeline. The owners can log on to this website and access the data by selecting the “general public” option. Back in 2014, the company had open sourced all their patents.

Tesla releases parts catalogue to public-screenshot-20181101-10.03.30-am.png

Tesla releases parts catalogue to public-screenshot-20181101-10.03.56-am.png

Source: Electrek

Link to the Team-BHP News

Last edited by blackwasp : 1st November 2018 at 10:08.
blackwasp is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st November 2018, 17:44   #2
BHPian

Re: Tesla releases parts catalogue to public

The top reason why I like Elon Musk or his company Tesla Motors is that in spite of being the most sought after products in entire Automobile industry, he has released the complete patent portfolio to public. Now releasing the parts catalogue to general public just upped the consumers confidence.

I would not even dream of any automobile company doing this in India as it would be like opening a Pandora's box. But I'm eagerly waiting for that day when I can order the original spare part from the company itself and fix it in a garage of my choice.

Of course one important reason Maruti is ruling the charts in this country is because of this - go to any nook and corner of the country there is a very high probability of getting most common spare parts. On the other side, when 'Gear oil seal' in my Figo (First gen) was to be replaced, I had to leave my car for full 3-4 business days in the Ford Workshop as the part was to be shipped from Chennai plant (back in 2012).
G V Krishna is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2018, 18:25   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

In general a good move I would say. Although a pity it seems to be based first most on legislation, rather than something Tesla initiated themselves.

As with many cars, lots of bits can be easily sourced. Now you can get the official information and parts from Tesla.

Look at this guy, how he dealt with his Tesla:

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st November 2018, 18:44   #4
Senior - BHPian

I hope someone gives a software based 3D manual to customers so that they can also see everything neatly. Its time to be open about their cars since there is no need to hide anything. You can find it if you want to even now, just make it easier.
srishiva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2018, 01:23   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by G V Krishna View Post
I would not even dream of any automobile company doing this in India as it would be like opening a Pandora's box. But I'm eagerly waiting for that day when I can order the original spare part from the company itself and fix it in a garage of my choice.
That's the thing... You can already do this with traditional car companies in the US.
They have places like AutoZone and others including a huge number of websites where you can buy the part you want and fix your car however you want.

But Tesla has never sold spares to individuals or garages. They only provide certain spares to their partner garages, and even then the wait time on most parts is so long that many people have resorted to using salvage parts.

Guess it all comes down to the issue of who owns the car... You or the company who made it.
sleepyk is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed