Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th May 2021, 12:17   #31
BHPian

Re: Ford to make all-electric F150

Quote:
Originally Posted by veedub89 View Post
I don't think anyone wants an electric Swift that is anything but swift and goes only 50kms before it needs a charge.

But this F-150 looks great!
Finally Rivian will have some competition, assuming of course Rivian actually makes it to the market.
I would expect more electric pick-ups from more manufacturers, in the US at least.
Ford has a large stake in Rivian. They had invested $500 millions in 2019 and more later. They termed it as a partnership rather than pure investment. I don't think they see them as an fierce competitor but a future technology partner. If Rivian gets their tech right and ends up being better than Ford's own, they'll sure want to incorporate that in their models. If they continue the partnership, I think it will end up well.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 20th May 2021 at 14:57. Reason: typos
ZenMaster is offline   (4) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 20th May 2021, 12:51   #32
Senior - BHPian

Elon Musk took to Twitter to congratulate Ford Motor for going the electric way with the F-150 Lightning.

Ford to make all-electric F150-smartselect_20210520124945_twitter.jpg
Venkatesh is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th May 2021, 13:42   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenMaster View Post
Ford has a large stake in Rivian. They had invested $500 millions in 2019 and more later. They termed it as a partnership rather than pure investment. I don't think they see them as an fierce competitor but a future technology partner. If Rivian gets their tech right and ends up being better than Ford's own, they'll sure want to incorporate that in their models. If they continue the partnership, I think it will end up well.
Oh I didn't know that.

Definitely makes for a win-win situation. Rivian's expertise combined with Ford's market penetration and business-sense.
Joining their hands together makes them a formidable force and the only real competition could be from Tesla's Cybertruck. But who knows how that will turn out to be when it launches officially.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 20th May 2021 at 15:00. Reason: Quoted post edited.
veedub89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2021, 13:57   #34
Senior - BHPian

Ford Lightning Live Reveal

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 20th May 2021 at 15:00. Reason: Typo
ruzbehxyz is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th May 2021, 14:46   #35
BHPian

Now let's do a Tug of War between this and the Cyber Truck. This would be interesting to watch.
ksgehlot is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 20th May 2021, 17:40   #36
Senior - BHPian

Even though it's just for a 'base' commercial variant, a sub $30k starting price before federal credits is an astonishing value proposition. I can't quite believe Ford did that, given the regular ICE-powered F-150's base variant retails for similar prices.

This is Ford coming and saying - Here's the deal. Walk away if you can!

That said, it appears Mustang Mach-E's 2021 production is limited to just 50,000 units globally. I wouldn't be surprised if the F-150 Lightning has similar or lesser numbers in the first couple of years of production, irrespective of the demand.
arvi86 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th May 2021, 17:48   #37
BHPian

Having worked with a major OEM of Turbochargers , just cannot imagine the ripple effects of such major launches will have on the traditional ICE based supply chain. Everyone saw this coming but it is still such a disruption for these companies that unless they come up with a killer idea their days are doomed. The issue is more of a culture as the ECR / DECO processes and tools are geared towards a mechanical industry and even with attempts to adopt SW based processes they fail, have seen this with my own eyes and it is not pretty at all.
mazda4life is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 21st May 2021, 08:08   #38
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sri_tesla View Post
This is killer pricing for the most important segment in the US.
Man, this is HUGE! The F150 is the best-selling car in the USA. This is the equivalent of Maruti launching a well-priced electric Alto in India. Out of curiosity, how did Ford manage to price it so damn well? Heck, far smaller EVs cost over $30,000!

This is surely a more convincing truck than Tesla's weird Cyber Truck. Ford also won a lot of fans with its Mustang Mach-E. The company is certainly doing well on the electric front.

I am for sure renting an electric F150 via Turo on my next USA trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazda4life View Post
Having worked with a major OEM of Turbochargers
Great post, thanks .

Last edited by GTO : 21st May 2021 at 08:10.
GTO is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 21st May 2021, 08:27   #39
BHPian

Super excited to test this out - man will this thing sell!

I am slightly worried about what it means to have bad drivers with a pickup that does 0-60 mph in less than 5 seconds, but I guess this was inevitable with EVs coming into the picture.
SASproject is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st May 2021, 08:46   #40
BHPian

The best thing I like about the design is that there is no drastic change to make it look ‘futuristic’ like most manufacturers try do to with their EV line up.
The lines are still clean and there’s no weird grill on it.
It’s a wonderful job by Ford.
The only issue I find is that Tesla screen looks like an aftermarket job.
SShandilya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st May 2021, 08:55   #41
BHPian

Massive thank you to all fellow-BHPians for sharing the news about this. While US has been at the forefront of EVs, it is great to see that major manufacturers are now catching up with the trend. Needless to say, Ford have priced it extremely well.

Generally, American pick ups have massive engines as they are workhorses e.g. used in labour-intensive activities. Therefore electrifying pickups is essentially symbolic for electrifying the mobility for the working class in America. As great as Teslas are, they simply are not pragmatic enough for those working in fields such as construction. I'm sure if Tesla has a pickup in the works, the situation would definitely change.

Very excited to see how the future of pickups is evolving right in front of us!
Old 21st May 2021, 09:53   #42
BHPian

Looks smashing and will sell like crazy. Ford USA has rolled out some great marquee products recently and has made some really bold decisions. Making an electric F150; reviving the Bronco brand and making it a duo so that smaller one can cash in without purists feeling they diluted the brand; bravely using the Mustang brand for an electric crossover. All these decisions show that they have a their thumb on the pulse of the US market and great synergy across product and marketing divisions.

Sad part about this is seeing the quality of vehicles Ford can churn out and just dreaming of seeing them give 10% of this commitment to India. Would've loved to see a Bronco Sport here.

Last edited by batladanny : 21st May 2021 at 09:55.
batladanny is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st May 2021, 13:30   #43
BHPian

Ford had really put their heart & soul into the project & also in reveal too:

21 charging points, powering up the home if-needed or even running heavy electrical loads @ outdoors, "power frunk", 15.5" Digital console & smart hitch etc. at a very nominal cost.

What's best way to garner attention, than to get the vehicle driven by "Mr. President".

I wish, just like Mach -E, F-150 Lightning also brings good amount of bookings to Ford & they turn around their balance sheet better.

Any revolution of new technology will only get faster/better, if current giants enter into the field. In that way, Ford entering EV is always a welcome move.

Last edited by Sheel : 21st May 2021 at 14:26. Reason: Removing bold fonts.
Fiestaboy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st May 2021, 14:03   #44
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Out of curiosity, how did Ford manage to price it so damn well?
Answering my own question after some lunchtime reading:

- Ford has priced to dominate the truck segment. Just like the F-Series is the best selling ICE pickup truck in USA, they want the Lightning to be the same among EV trucks.

- Due to the sheer volumes of the F150, Ford was able to get killer pricing from its vendors by guaranteeing xxx volumes.

- The petrol F150 has a big fat margin. Ford can take a slimmer margin on the Lightning to make it look VFM. In fact, some commentators on Reddit feel that Ford will even sell the base variant at a loss (to establish itself as a leader), making money only on the higher variants.

- The pricing is all the more mouth-watering when you consider the tax credits, and the fact that its a 4-door Supercrew cab with 4x4 / AWD (dual motor). The right comparo should be to the F150 Supercrew 4x4, not 4x2.

- This is a big, big landscape-changing moment. It's a regular-looking, regular-feeling truck by a mainstream manufacturer with a proper dealer + service network throughout the country. Again, it's like Maruti launching an electric Alto tomorrow for 5 lakhs.

Sucks on the range though. That range will drop even further with load and / or towing.
GTO is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 21st May 2021, 14:42   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Answering my own question after some lunchtime reading:

- Ford has priced to dominate the truck segment. Just like the F-Series is the best selling ICE pickup truck in USA, they want the Lightning to be the same among EV trucks.

- Due to the sheer volumes of the F150, Ford was able to get killer pricing from its vendors by guaranteeing xxx volumes.

- The petrol F150 has a big fat margin. Ford can take a slimmer margin on the Lightning to make it look VFM. In fact, some commentators on Reddit feel that Ford will even sell the base variant at a loss (to establish itself as a leader), making money only on the higher variants.

- The pricing is all the more mouth-watering when you consider the tax credits, and the fact that its a 4-door Supercrew cab with 4x4 / AWD (dual motor). The right comparo should be to the F150 Supercrew 4x4, not 4x2.

- This is a big, big landscape-changing moment. It's a regular-looking, regular-feeling truck by a mainstream manufacturer with a proper dealer + service network throughout the country. Again, it's like Maruti launching an electric Alto tomorrow for 5 lakhs.

Sucks on the range though. That range will drop even further with load and / or towing.
While Ford has quoted starting price of $40K, please note this is expected to be barebones by US standards. The mainstream model is expected to start at $52K and all the way upto $90K. Experience as an Automobile manufacturer shows here. While Tesla,Rivian will most likely launch(or already launched) 2 or 3 fully loaded models and price at around $80K- $100K, Ford will offer multitude of variants and thus making F150 lightning spread across price range.
https://www.cnbc.com/2021/05/20/ford...-to-90000.html

Whatever the pricing, time to update my DP , hope Ford launches Lightning Raptor .

To me F150 Lightning has written SUCCESS all over it. In current times, when one launches a car its important to have the spread and options. Creta,Seltos,Magnite, Fortuner are all available with multiple configurations from day 1.
PrideRed is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks