Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 1st October 2019, 12:57   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Mahindra to launch XUV300 EV to rival Kona EV

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Are they?
I meant in the context of directly setting the sights for a full broadside - on the Kona. Nothing half hearted. Look at how Tata is approaching this on the other hand. Quite subdued and isn't generating enough interest. Target the Kona - you get instant eyeballs. PR is also vital.

Quote:
Being late is not a bad thing though - hope Mahindra learns from all the others and comes out with the best product and pricing. XUV 3OO is a good product and has a lot going for it - except for the price tag.
Exactly. I hope they have garnered the technical know-how enough during this time since they bought Reva. Till now the diesel cars they sell are bringing in the buck in millions. M&M simply had no need to add sales, maintenance cost overheads for products they know won't be selling in profitable numbers just yet (EVs). That's why I feel as a "business" M&M is very smart and mature. Forget about anything else. Their decisions are simply based on profitability & having a pipeline ready for the next move come the page turn. Pretty similar to MSIL. Others like Tata work in some sort of dream-lands with ambitions. They don't have the ground level connect with present situation of the business & that shows in sales numbers immediately.

Now the time is ripe. Over last 2-3 years, people have become aware. EV is a buzz word and people are at least ready to think of them as a city transport. Now is the time to put the learnings to real use & start investing in actual product marketing, staff training.
Reinhard is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st October 2019, 13:02   #17
BHPian

There is no extra tax benefit for sub-4metre EVs unlike petrol/diesel cars. All EVs have 5% GST.

Its good to see Mahindra developing EVs with decent battery capacity and that too from reputed EV battery manufacturer like LG Chem. Kona launch really changed the EV scene in India. MG motors will launch ZS EV by year end. In 2020 and 2021 we will see 2-3 EVs from both Mahindra and Tata. Hyundai/Kia duo will certainly launch more EVs in the next 2-3 years as they are developing new electric platform and EV variants for all of their popular models for different markets across the world.

It would be interesting to see pricing of EV XUV300. Hyundai Kona electric has all the bells and whistles and more than top end Creta. Its the same strategy Hyundai and Kia following across the world for their EVs with EVs having all the features of top end petrol variants and priced higher as they are much cheaper to run. Mahindra will also have 15% import tax advantage as Kona is being brought through CKD route unless Hyundai starts the manufacturing of EVs at their Chennai plant.

Last edited by sri_tesla : 1st October 2019 at 13:09.
sri_tesla is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st October 2019, 13:11   #18
Senior - BHPian

Why limit to the sub 4 metre SUV ? They could have used the original platform to give us something little bigger.

After the Kona explosion I am stil worried about the safety of the battery pack and hope that due diligence is given for safety too.

Last edited by srishiva : 1st October 2019 at 13:33.
srishiva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2019, 13:13   #19
BHPian

Now this is a very clever move from Mahindra I would say. This gives them enough room to price it in the range of 16 - 18 Lakhs and still be cheaper than Kona by a good 5 to 7 Lakhs

They have already loaded the Xuv3oo to the gills, shouldn't be a challenge to fill the spec sheet for the Electric variant as well.

Definitely missed the first mover's advantage considering they had the Reva since ages and did nothing about it. But will be interesting to see how they put into practise what they have learned so far !
Sk8r is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2019, 08:00   #20
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Mahindra to launch XUV300 EV to rival Kona EV

Looking forward ! Mahindra's EVs till date have been rather lame (including that e-Verito dud), but here, the specs of the higher variant seem promising. 130 hp & a 300 km range is bang in Kona territory. The XUV300 deserves a good power pack too, as it is such a premium crossover.
GTO is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2019, 08:29   #21
Senior - BHPian

Mahindra is risk averse, in that, they wait and watch and take informed decisions. Imagine, as a business, you invest 1000 crores in pure EV - and then you find that during the project gestation, petrol/diesel are back or newer technologies like Hydrogen is seeing commercial plaudit. What happens then? To be a pioneer takes guts of steel, and very few companies actually make progress.

Quote:
Mahindra should have been the pioneer - considering Reva was, even internationally - one of the initial adopters of the technology
Sebring is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2019, 11:00   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8r View Post
Definitely missed the first mover's advantage considering they had the Reva since ages and did nothing about it.
While that's the easy opinion, I don't think Mahindra had much of a choice. Reva was far, far ahead of its time, for India. While EVs have existed for a while even in developed countries, they've been popular only in pockets that are very environmentally conscious. In a country like ours, with a cost, reliability, fill-it-shut-it, and brand-conscious mentality, the Reva was only for the true blue green warriors.

Let's give the Kona and any other EVs some time to really know how ready we are for this revolution and then we can judge if there is any first mover advantage.
Old 2nd October 2019, 16:49   #23
BHPian

Well the Hyundai Kona saw 130 deliveries in just 3 months upto August'19 from just 15 dealerships which must be in metros only.

Man i don't think that i should be applying for a petrol pump. In fact i am on my way to seek funding for electric car charging station start-up!!

Anybody at Team-bhp wants to be a partner in this great opportunity?
bmw_lover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2019, 17:31   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw_lover View Post
Well the Hyundai Kona saw 130 deliveries in just 3 months upto August'19 from just 15 dealerships which must be in metros only.

Man i don't think that i should be applying for a petrol pump. In fact i am on my way to seek funding for electric car charging station start-up!!

Anybody at Team-bhp wants to be a partner in this great opportunity?
Was thinking about that for quite some time now. I see you're in Delhi as well, let's discuss about it!
Neither of us can use DMs as of now, send me an email on veyron999@gmail.com. Do mention teambhp in the subject.
Old 5th October 2019, 11:04   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Speculated to be the XUV3OO EV(S210), spied on test.

Mahindra XUV400 Electric to get 350 - 400 km range-2.jpg

Link
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2020, 17:59   #26
Senior - BHPian

Rumour: Mahindra XUV300 EV coming in 2021

According to a media report, Mahindra is likely to launch the XUV300 EV in 2021. The carmaker is expected to showcase the car, codenamed S210, at the 2020 Auto Expo.

Mahindra XUV400 Electric to get 350 - 400 km range-xuv300-front-34.jpg

The all-electric version of the XUV300 is expected to compete with the upcoming Tata Nexon EV and the Hyundai Kona Electric.

The report suggests that the XUV300 EV is likely to be powered by a 40 kWh battery and an electric motor with an output of 128 BHP. The battery is expected to have a maximum range of 300 km on a single charge. It is likely to have AC as well as DC fast-charging capability.

Source

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th January 2020, 22:06   #27
Senior - BHPian

Is it wishful thinking to expect the EV version would be more proportionate in the front and (especially) rear?

This is going to be high VFM if its 5-7L below Kona!!
Old 10th January 2020, 22:27   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8r View Post
This gives them enough room to price it in the range of 16 - 18 Lakhs and still be cheaper than Kona by a good 5 to 7 Lakhs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Equus View Post
This is going to be high VFM if its 5-7L below Kona!!
We should hope that the savings does not come by skipping on active thermal management of the battery. Something that is absolutely needed for people to build trust in EVs. The Hyundai Kona has it, I see reports that the Nexon has it.

https://insideevs.com/news/341712/hy...tem-explained/

Consumers should reject EVs that come without active thermal management. They drop range drastically after a year or two, lose value and bring a bad rap to EV adoption.
GutsyGibbon is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th January 2020, 08:55   #29
Senior - BHPian

It's interesting to see how two serious launches have shaken up the entire segment and forced non starters, who had a great first mover advantage, to wake up and offer something more meaningful.

Better late than never though. The XUV 300 has great dynamics, it just wasn't worth the price. With the EV, they get to slot it higher, and if they can deliver on the range, its a sure shot winner.
Old 14th January 2020, 20:22   #30
BHPian

Took the pic today morning. Not sure if it's EV. couldn't find the exhaust when I took the photo.

Mahindra XUV400 Electric to get 350 - 400 km range-img_20200114_112014.jpg

Last edited by Aditya : 15th January 2020 at 16:45. Reason: Adding watermark
motobliss is offline   (6) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed