Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 20th December 2019, 14:13   #31
BHPian

re: India-bound MG eZS electric SUV unveiled. Edit: Launched at 19.88 lakh

50 KW dc charger, am I reading this right? How do we get a 50 KW connection? In most states connections of more than 7 KW are automatically converted to a three phase connection in which meter rent and surcharge increases. Any connection above 15 KW is commercial connection in which not only meter rent and surcharges are on higher side but per unit charge are also double. How big infrastructure push are we going through and how many commercial charging stations have been put up till now?

Apart of MG being a Chinese brand which I have no trust at all. It has a Li ion battery which doesn't behave well in extreme heat. I have infrastructure and pollution doubt over EV vehicles. Not only battery raw material production is ecologically harmful but recycling or dismantling them is also harmful. Plus power generation is another pollution problem and more so when left keeps on protesting about nuclear power plants as well as fossil power plants and hydro power plants.

I want cheap EV just to run through daily office commute and daily errands for everything else one absolutely needs a normal fossil fuel car. These 20 lac+ EV cars makes me uneasy and its basically a show off for "woke" people. Give us a nano like EV at 5lac and see the market change but everyone is busy making super sports EV vehicle rather than a city commute. No one is going to take their EV's to mountains or deserts.
Sran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2019, 15:55   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sran View Post
50 KW dc charger, am I reading this right? How do we get a 50 KW connection? In most states connections of more than 7 KW are automatically converted to a three phase connection in which meter rent and surcharge increases. Any connection above 15 KW is commercial connection in which not only meter rent and surcharges are on higher side but per unit charge are also double. How big infrastructure push are we going through and how many commercial charging stations have been put up till now?
For homes, it will be standard charger. The fast charger points, I assume, will be set up and run by MG, and can be used if you run out of charge.

Quote:
I want cheap EV just to run through daily office commute and daily errands for everything else one absolutely needs a normal fossil fuel car. These 20 lac+ EV cars makes me uneasy and its basically a show off for "woke" people. Give us a nano like EV at 5lac and see the market change but everyone is busy making super sports EV vehicle rather than a city commute. No one is going to take their EV's to mountains or deserts.
I see cars like these as steps to get to a point where EVs become affordable. EVs of today are much better than previous generation EVs (E2O). They will continue to get better. At some point in the near future (considering the urgent need for lower emissions), no important compromises would be involved in EV ownership. At that point EVs would become mainstream.
Old 20th December 2019, 16:48   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
It's because the 5 lac space is comparatively a lot more price sensitive than the 15-20 lakh segments. People spending 15-20 lakhs won't mind putting in another 2-3 lakhs if the product is worth it.

Ask a 5 lac customer to plonk 2-3 lakhs more for EV tech over an internal combustion and it's quite obvious he will be hesitant. The revolution has to start at the top. The 23 lakh Kona, then the 15 lakh Nexon EV and hopefully, a 10-12 lakh Altroz electric.

The day will surely come. Just that it will take time like all other revolutions.
vishy76 is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 20th December 2019, 23:36   #34
BANNED

Quote:
That's the fast charger capacity installed by Fortum at select locations, this will charge your car to 80% in less than hour. This is meant for long trip and not your regular office commute charge.

Quote:
Apart of MG being a Chinese brand which I have no trust at all. It has a Li ion battery which doesn't behave well in extreme heat. I have infrastructure and pollution doubt over EV vehicles. Not only battery raw material production is ecologically harmful but recycling or dismantling them is also harmful. Plus power generation is another pollution problem and more so when left keeps on protesting about nuclear power plants as well as fossil power plants and hydro power plants.
Anything we humans do is pollution if you look it from some angle, Battery tech is improving day by day and it will improve further when there is a market for it, no one wants to improve a tech which is not going to be used or doesn't pay off. If you are too concerned about the impact the battery materials and power production, then you should be staying away from Fossil fuels a mile away. Fossil fuels don't jet out of the ground and arrive cleanly either. And looking at power production, India is increasing renewable power generation at a rapid pace, so in the distant future you would be looking at only nuclear, solar and wind as your main source. During monsoon, in karnataka at least, the coal power product was less than 50% of the total.

Quote:
The E2O way didn't work out, at the current battery density achievable, the floor area has to be big for your range, else you will be left with 50 to 80km range vehicle which won't sell, with 300km range promise itself, we have buyers worried about range, so you can imagine the anxiety if it is less than 100km.
DarthVeda is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st December 2019, 17:54   #35
BHPian

MG ZS EV real world range and consumption at different speeds:

India-bound MG eZS electric SUV unveiled. Edit: Launched at 19.88 lakh-mgzsev.png

Second row is at 80 km/h with AC OFF. Rest all are with AC ON. Just 11 kms difference in range between AC ON and OFF. Kona is definitely much more efficient and has more range despite having smaller battery and heavier than ZS.

Based on these numbers, MG ZS EV range will be 300+ KMs in city and highway speeds upto 80 km/h. At higher speeds (90 km/h+) range will be down drastically just like most other EVs. That 60 km/h range (343 km) is close to ARAI range (340 km). In comparison, Kona has 452 KMs of range as per ARAI.

Source:
Old 21st December 2019, 20:25   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sri_tesla View Post

Based on these numbers, MG ZS EV range will be 300+ KMs in city and highway speeds upto 80 km/h. At higher speeds (90 km/h+) range will be down drastically just like most other EVs. That 60 km/h range (343 km) is close to ARAI range (340 km). In comparison, Kona has 452 KMs of range as per ARAI.
Did you watch his other video the MG EZS 500Km hypermiling one? Wonder how would Kona fare if that is driven in similar style. I have subscribed to his channel after you posted one of his Tesla videos.
Old 23rd December 2019, 00:02   #37
Senior - BHPian

MG ZS EV bookings open in 5 cities

MG has started accepting bookings for the ZS EV in India. Customers can book the car for Rs. 50,000 at select showrooms in Delhi, Mumbai, Ahmedabad, Bangalore and Hyderabad.

India-bound MG eZS electric SUV unveiled. Edit: Launched at 19.88 lakh-mg-zs-ev.jpeg

Each MG ZS EV will come with an on-board cable to charge from any 15 Amp socket. MG will also install an AC fast charger at the customer's home or office. 50 kW DC super-fast chargers will be set up at select MG Showrooms. These will be open 24x7 and can recharge the ZS EV's battery to 80% of its capacity within 50 minutes. Using the AC fast charger, the battery can be recharged in 6-8 hours.

The ZS EV is offered with the eShield package which includes free-of-charge 5 year warranty for unlimited kilometers, 8 year/ 1,50,000 km warranty on battery and roadside assistance for a period of 5 years. MG claims that the running costs work out to Rs. 1 per km.
TusharK is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2019, 00:17   #38
Senior - BHPian

Scoop! MG ZS EV variants & features list

Thanks to Shrikanth Gade for sending these images in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing them with other enthusiasts via this Team-BHP page!

According to a leaked brochure, the MG ZS EV is likely to be offered in two variants - Excite and Exclusive.

India-bound MG eZS electric SUV unveiled. Edit: Launched at 19.88 lakh-mg-zs-ev1.jpg

On the outside, the car is likely to get 17-inch machined alloy wheels, projector headlamps with LED daytime running lights, glowing logo, roof rails and a spoiler.

Inside, it gets leather seats with a leather wrapped steering wheel and a 3.5-inch MID. The Exclusive trim gets a 6-way power adjustable driver seat, panoramic sunroof, rain-sensing wipers and a PM 2.5 filter. Features like push button start stop with Smart Entry, 3-level Kinetic Energy Recovery System, cruise control, auto headlamps with follow me home function, air-conditioning and power adjustable ORVMs are standard.

India-bound MG eZS electric SUV unveiled. Edit: Launched at 19.88 lakh-mg-zs-ev2.jpg

Both variants get an 8-inch touchscreen infotainment system. While the the Exclusive trim gets the i-smart EV 2.0 Connected car features, it misses out on Android Auto and Apple Carplay. It is expected to be added later. The Excite trim does get Android Auto and Apple CarPlay.

The MG ZS EV comes with 6 airbags, ESC, ABS with EBD and brake assist, hill start assist, hill descent control and tyre pressure monitoring system as standard. It gets rear parking sensors with camera, pedestrian warning system, front and rear seat belt reminder and ISOFIX, while heated ORVMs are available on the Exclusive trim.

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2019, 00:17   #39
BHPian

Any update on the pricing? Is ot going to compete with Kona or Nexon?
pseudo_coder is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2019, 07:42   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sri_tesla View Post
[b]In comparison, Kona has 452 KMs of range as per ARAI.
Honestly, I have my own doubts regarding this figure. It's just too good to be true. Any real world figures available for the Kona as well?

Why has the 300 Km mark become some sort of a benchmark for manufacturers? The Nexon EV claims similar range with a much smaller battery

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudo_coder View Post
Both. It'll be priced bang in the middle. Getting the fight to the Kona and also appearing as an aspirational product for someone who's almost sure about the Nexon EV.

Last edited by coolkurt : 23rd December 2019 at 07:44.
Old 23rd December 2019, 08:55   #41
BANNED

Kona has done upwards of 300km range already, it's difficult to find youtube video of 39kwh run, but i have been following Arun on twitter, and he has been easily going to uppinangadi/mangalore and back with no range anxiety. I believe another forum member did a trip to mahabalipuram and back as well.

The ZS can touch 310km with careful driving at 80km in Indian climate conditions. It's nexon's claim of 300 that i can't fathom at this moment.
DarthVeda is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2019, 17:17   #42

Thank you for this information, I wanted to book for goa, which I presume means somebody in pune, Mumbai or Bangalore will have to support. Do any of you have the contact of a senior enough person to help me make this happen. For nexon, I was informed a pune dealer would help me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
Scoop! MG ZS EV variants & features list

Thanks to Shrikanth Gade for sending these images in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing them with other enthusiasts via this Team-BHP page!

According to a leaked brochure, the MG ZS EV is likely to be offered in two variants - Excite and Exclusive.

Attachment 1948215

On the outside, the car is likely to get 17-inch machined alloy wheels, projector headlamps with LED daytime running lights, glowing logo, roof rails and a spoiler.

Inside, it gets leather seats with a leather wrapped steering wheel and a 3.5-inch MID. The Exclusive trim gets a 6-way power adjustable driver seat, panoramic sunroof, rain-sensing wipers and a PM 2.5 filter. Features like push button start stop with Smart Entry, 3-level Kinetic Energy Recovery System, cruise control, auto headlamps with follow me home function, air-conditioning and power adjustable ORVMs are standard.

Attachment 1948216

Both variants get an 8-inch touchscreen infotainment system. While the the Exclusive trim gets the i-smart EV 2.0 Connected car features, it misses out on Android Auto and Apple Carplay. It is expected to be added later. The Excite trim does get Android Auto and Apple CarPlay.

The MG ZS EV comes with 6 airbags, ESC, ABS with EBD and brake assist, hill start assist, hill descent control and tyre pressure monitoring system as standard. It gets rear parking sensors with camera, pedestrian warning system, front and rear seat belt reminder and ISOFIX, while heated ORVMs are available on the Exclusive trim.

Link to Team-BHP News
Old 24th December 2019, 12:11   #43
Senior - BHPian

MG ZS EV First Drive - Review

Last edited by RM Motorsports : 24th December 2019 at 12:17.
RM Motorsports is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th December 2019, 14:05   #44
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM Motorsports View Post
MG ZS EV First Drive - Review
Accessing the charging socket to insert the charging gun/plug is a bit un-ergonomic. Watch the above video from 4:48 to 5:20.

Good that MG went for ICE vehicle like conventional and balanced design over EV like unconventional and futuristic design.

Looks like MG got another winner at hand, it's cheaper than Kona, and though costlier than Nexon it got its tricks to take care of the price difference.

As of now, be it e-ZS, e-Kona, or e-Nexon, EVs are good for replacing the second cars used at homes for city errands or even for a small intercity trips.

EV segment is heating up now!

Last edited by suhaas307 : 24th December 2019 at 14:53. Reason: Removing video url from quoted post
Old 24th December 2019, 14:12   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudo_coder View Post
ZS will compete with Kona than with Nexon and the tentative pricing as mentioned by MG sales person is between 22-25L. MG is also aiming to attract fleet and self drive agencies, the lower variant will be suitable for such customers.
Nexon will be priced between 15-17L and will be cheapest EV among the three

Quote:
Kona has done upwards of 300km range already, it's difficult to find Youtube video of 39kwh run, but i have been following Arun on twitter, and he has been easily going to uppinangadi/mangalore and back with no range anxiety. I believe another forum member did a trip to mahabalipuram and back as well.

The ZS can touch 310km with careful driving at 80km in Indian climate conditions. It's nexon's claim of 300 that i can't fathom at this moment.
Let's look at the stats of all three EVs.
  • Kona has 136PS power, 394NM torque with a claimed 0-100 time of 9.7S
  • ZS has 142.7PS power, 353NM torque with a claimed 0-100 time of 8.5S
  • Nexon has 129PS power, 245NM torque with a claimed 0-100 time of 9.9S

Kona has three level of regen and I found it to be the best in regen which helps it achieve more than 300Kms+ range very easily.

ZS also has three levels of regen but weighs significantly more and the regen is not as great as Kona.

Nexon has regen, but which cannot be altered unlike the others. It has the lowest torque figures among the three, this must be by design to increase the range as it also has the smallest battery capacity of 30.2KWH compared to 39.2KWH of Kona and 44.5KWH of ZS.
Also few people internal to the development of the Nexon EV shared that 300KM range is achievable even at decent highways speeds of 80KMPH.
speedmiester is online now   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks