Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th March 2020, 12:26   #91
BHPian

Re: India-bound MG eZS electric SUV unveiled. Edit: Launched at 19.88 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreeharipv View Post
Why would a level 2 overnight charging set up cost 80k? Shouldn't cost more than 5k.
A 7.2kW wall charger costs as much as 50k for the cheapest chargers. Plus then you have wiring for the charger. So 80k seems about right.
mohanphadnis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2020, 23:11   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohanphadnis View Post
A 7.2kW wall charger costs as much as 50k for the cheapest chargers. Plus then you have wiring for the charger. So 80k seems about right.
Portable 7.2 KW chargers like this can be bought for around ~22K.

https://twitter.com/wearebrightblu?s=20
sri_tesla is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2020, 12:04   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADI7YAK View Post
Could hotels install 7.6kW chargers in their parking to charge their guests' electric car overnight?
Yes the hotels keep the chargers to attract more customers, I hope large star hotels would be already having these chargers ready.

Today I came to know that you can filter hotels based on ev charging in hotels.com site. I tried for Delhi and couple of hotels came up, this should be available in all 2, 3 star hotels someday.

We need to really thank early adopters of MG ZS ev, Kona and Nexon EV for this.

India-bound MG eZS electric SUV unveiled. Edit: Launched at 19.88 lakh-screenshot_202003061107122.jpg
SKC-auto is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2020, 15:26   #94
Senior - BHPian

Nice video of testing PM2.5 filter in MG ZS EV in Thailand. Watch till the end.

So it consumes 400W so the battery can last for 44.5×0.6( used between 20- 80% battery = 0.6 of the battery) = 26.7 /0.4 (400w or 0.4kwh)= 66hrs.

Old 13th March 2020, 19:56   #95
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Saw a couple of eZS EVs in NCR today.

India-bound MG eZS electric SUV unveiled. Edit: Launched at 19.88 lakh-img_20200312_17593101.jpeg

India-bound MG eZS electric SUV unveiled. Edit: Launched at 19.88 lakh-img_20200312_17591901.jpeg

India-bound MG eZS electric SUV unveiled. Edit: Launched at 19.88 lakh-img_20200312_17592401.jpeg

India-bound MG eZS electric SUV unveiled. Edit: Launched at 19.88 lakh-img_20200312_17585202.jpeg

India-bound MG eZS electric SUV unveiled. Edit: Launched at 19.88 lakh-img_20200313_084512012.jpeg
//M is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th March 2020, 13:28   #96
BANNED

A saw near infamous silk board, it was enroute to Jayanagar from Electronic City, it was registered on Indiranagara RTO already. Looked big but still inconspicuous among the crowd
Old 15th March 2020, 10:16   #97
Senior - BHPian

How far did we go on one charge in the MG ZS EV. One charge challenge video by Autocar India
Venkatesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2020, 11:15   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
How far did we go on one charge in the MG ZS EV. One charge challenge video by Autocar India
I just saw this video. Did anyone who saw this video know what was the average speed maintained? I felt he was driving at around 40KM/H, not sure if I'm right. But practically one cannot drive the car without AC especially during day time. Poor guy, he was sweating badly.

But in scenarios where we have to absolutely take the MG eZS on a long drive may be for an emergency, now we know it's possible to travel 500KMs in single charge.

Last edited by Kannan : 15th March 2020 at 11:15. Reason: Removed video URL
Old 19th May 2020, 15:41   #99
Senior - BHPian

Comparison Test
MG ZS EV
Hyundai Kona Electric

Old 19th May 2020, 17:52   #100
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Comparison Test
MG ZS EV
Hyundai Kona Electric
Kona is well reputed to be the most energy efficient EV in the world with the least power consumed per km. This has to be the first review which claims the ZS’s range to be more than Kona’s and by a significant margin at that. This single point makes me question the integrity of this comparison test.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 19th May 2020, 20:49   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
Kona is well reputed to be the most energy efficient EV in the world with the least power consumed per km. This has to be the first review which claims the ZS’s range to be more than Kona’s and by a significant margin at that. This single point makes me question the integrity of this comparison test.
I totally agree. Kona's 39.2 kWh is actually the usable battery capacity, total capacity being 42 kWh. I'm sure MG's 44 kWh is the total capacity and I couldn't find the usable battery capacity online. I'm pretty sure MG's usable capacity is around 42-41 kWh. That makes the difference of only 2-3 kWh between these cars. With the better efficiency of Kona, it should be able to cover more miles.

Saw a similar review on carandbike channel. MG's really working on their marketing in this pandemic situation!
roshanvalsan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2020, 21:07   #102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Let's put some facts in front of you:

From Hyundai's global website:
Quote:
You define your preferred range by selecting from two battery versions: the 39,2 kWh version with up to 312km on the WLTP cycle (345km NEDC converted) and the 64 kWh version with up to 482km on the WLTP cycle (546km NEDC converted) driving range on a single charge.
Just going by this I hope it is clear that a larger battery pack will perform better than a smaller battery pack, especially if other factors are constant. In this comparison one factor=weight, difference between the two cars is negligible, the MG being lighter, so a larger battery in a lighter car...hmm wonder what would be the outcome? Don't go by official ARAI numbers, instead test them yourself, if not at least talk to owners if you can to know what sort of range they are getting.

Or the easiest way would be to wait for the most trusted source - a full-fledged official Team-BHP review to find out. You can these criticize auto magazines as much as you want till Team-BHP's official review of the ZS EV is live, but when it goes live, you will understand the reason why the MG is more efficient and why the Tata Nexon EV is a full segment lower (you will have to wait for the Nexon EV official review too).

In the meanwhile just to refresh your memory, from Team-BHP's official review:
Quote:
• Real-world range of 260-300 km means no range anxiety for urban commuting
From Autocar India's road test that's based on real-world driving data and tests:
Quote:
...under real-life conditions and our city driving cycle, at an average speed of 17kph, the Kona delivered a maximum range of 324km. On our highway test cycle, driving at same speeds as we do on petrol and diesel cars, it gave a range of just 295km – which is lesser than in the city.
To summarize, it's very easy to write journalists and opinions off, but do it with facts, and real world experiences, rather than just being an arm chair expert.

Last edited by Aditya : 20th May 2020 at 07:08. Reason: Language
S2!!! is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th May 2020, 21:37   #103
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post

Just going by this I hope it is clear that a larger battery pack will perform better than a smaller battery pack, especially if other factors are constant. In this comparison one factor=weight, difference between the two cars is negligible, the MG being lighter, so a larger battery in a lighter car...hmm wonder what would be the outcome? Don't go by official ARAI numbers, instead test them yourself, if not at least talk to owners if you can to know what sort of range they are getting.
Real world range of Nexon EV as well as of Kona, based on what owners have mentioned on their respective threads, is approx 60% of the claimed ARAI figure. A bit more or a bit less. About 180km for NexonEV (315km claimed) and 260-280km for the Kona (450km claimed). As such, when Autocar says that you get a range of 300km+ out of the 350km certified ZS, and that Kona gives only 250km in similar conditions, I’ll say that’s just baloney.

Both cars have very similar usable battery capacities and Kona is well reputed to be the most energy efficient EV in the market bar none.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 19th May 2020 at 21:54.
Old 19th May 2020, 21:57   #104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Real world range of Nexon EV as well as of Kona, based on what owners have mentioned on their respective threads, is approx 60% of the claimed ARAI figure. A bit more or a bit less. About 180km for NexonEV (315km claimed) and 260-280km for the Kona (450km claimed). As such, when Autocar says that you get a range of 300km+ out of the 350km certified ZS, and that Kona gives only 250km in similar conditions, I’ll say that’s just baloney.

Both cars have very similar usable battery capacities and Kona is well reputed to be the most energy efficient EV in the market bar none.
Let's just agree to disagree, rather than escalating this further.

We shall wait for the ultimate truth - Team-BHP's official review.
S2!!! is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th May 2020, 10:32   #105
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post

A Kona user recently did Bengaluru - Coimbatore trip one way trip on a single charge with no trickle charge at stop overs, and that's a distance of 380+ km. Given that he minimised the drag by following buses and maintaining highway speed limit.
When journalists say they did the same speed as petrol/diesel cars on highway, it might not be under the highway speed limit and not in a range which is best for EV or even fuel cars for that matter.

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 29th May 2020 at 00:20. Reason: trimming quoted post
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks