Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 20th May 2020, 13:08   #106
Senior - BHPian

Re: India-bound MG eZS electric SUV unveiled. Edit: Launched at 19.88 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthVeda View Post
A Kona user recently did Bengaluru - Coimbatore trip one way trip on a single charge with no trickle charge at stop overs, and that's a distance of 380+ km. Given that he minimised the drag by following buses and maintaining highway speed limit.
I can't deny that if driven with utmost care, you can extract a lot more range from these cars. Heck, Autocar India extracted 563km from the MG ZS EV, as you can see some posts ago. But is that how a normal user would drive? No! Even I have managed to achieve 17.1 kpl from my thirsty little hatchback, but does that mean that's how any user or even I would drive on a normal basis? NO!

Quote:
When journalists say they did the same speed as petrol/diesel cars on highway, it might not be under the highway speed limit and not in a range which is best for EV or even fuel cars for that matter.
This seems like an assumption. No? I'm pretty sure when these publications say real-world range, they wouldn't be driving like lunatics. After all outside this forum, they do have a reputation to maintain.

To avoid repeating myself or starting an argument, I just want to say, it is best that we wait for Team-BHP's official review, because that's the only one we trust - no other publication.
S2!!! is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2020, 15:49   #107
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post
To avoid repeating myself or starting an argument, I just want to say, it is best that we wait for Team-BHP's official review, because that's the only one we trust - no other publication.
Are we actually going to get one? A full review for the ZS and for the Nexon EV as well? Any idea about the timelines?
Old 20th May 2020, 16:23   #108
Senior - BHPian

From review it appears Kona is actually not that superior to ZS EV as claimed. Just like MG, Hyundai is no sage and does enough paid promotions just like any other manufacturer, so I wouldn't really buy in the efficient battery theory. Unless the ZS EV battery is from stone age, I will be surprised if a larger battery has significantly lesser range. With a cheaper price, conventional looks and nicer interiors, ZS EV seems better bet.
PrideRed is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2020, 13:20   #109

I guess we will have to wait for an official team bhp comparison to settle this. Just to clear things up, I would go for the MG ZS EV given a choice, because it is roomier and said to have a softer suspension than the two. For my usage, 250 kms is more than sufficient and the cramped rear bench of the Kona is a deal breaker for me. But none of us should go for the MG thinking that has more range, unless confirmed by our team.
Can anyone confirm the ground clearance values given in the Autocar comparison? They say MG has 161mm and Kona 172mm. I saw the Kona and I thought it was fairly low slung for a SUV. I have not seen a ZS yet.
Old 24th May 2020, 21:33   #110

Quote:
A Kona user recently did Bengaluru - Coimbatore trip one way trip on a single charge with no trickle charge at stop overs, and that's a distance of 380+ km. Given that he minimised the drag by following buses and maintaining highway speed limit.
When journalists say they did the same speed as petrol/diesel cars on highway, it might not be under the highway speed limit and not in a range which is best for EV or even fuel cars for that matter.
Greetings all,

Fortunately we have taken the delivery of ZS EV exclusive in Bengaluru by Mid-march. Few days delay would have locked it in the showroom till now. Because of COVID we had to get back to our home town Vijayawada. 680 Kms. So halted at a Hotel in Tirupati. An OK ride mostly because of bad roads. Kept full charge over night.

Resumed the journey at 4pm next day. 436kms. 100% battery 330 kms Range left. Anxious Heart. AC off. Fan On. Windows rolled up all through. Head lights On. Music On. Cruise Control @ 40 kmph. ~50% of journey behind slow moving large trucks. Occasionally sped 60-80 kmph. Lot of head turns (some for the car per se, some for the turtle speed and piggy backing). Multiple anxious checks on the Math - example, at 50% battery it's showing ~150 kms Range left , which seem that I must have travelled 180kms., but in real I covered ~220 kms at that point. Implying that I am on right track, in sync with the YouTube hypermiling videos by EV Enthusiasts. Felt a bit relieved, but one never know! Scraped under body once, at midnight over a deep pit - No visible damage. Awesome Night sky and sky roof, good road, cool external weather. Good light throw, seat comfort, ride and handling.(Driven my Brother's Civic '07 earlier for 1 year) . 2 rest stops. 1 hour long road blocks en route. Reached Home at 4am with 9% battery remaining. Big sigh of relief and a Happy Heart . Fell in admiration of this car on this 2nd journey itself. Nexon EV would not have made it. Kona might have been uncomfortable.

Feeling a bit nostalgic , reminiscing that day via this post. And incidentally this is my first long trip. Did only Intra State runs prior.

I am with intention to write a concise ownership notes. But because of Covid duties, not able to manage it till now. I will try to make it soon.

Stay Safe All!

https://www.facebook.com/srikanthrel...4438736&type=3
Attached Thumbnails
India-bound MG eZS electric SUV unveiled. Edit: Launched at 19.88 lakh-img_20200319_060215.jpg  

srimedico is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 29th May 2020, 00:12   #111

Looks like, From 1 June 2020., ZS EV to be launched in 6 cities Viz., Pune, Surat, Cochin, Chandigarh, Jaipur, Chennai.

https://www.facebook.com/36410353732...74207/?app=fbl
srimedico is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st June 2020, 11:09   #112
Distinguished - BHPian

India-bound MG eZS electric SUV unveiled. Edit: Launched at 19.88 lakh-whatsapp-image-20200601-11.00.20.jpeg

Here are the price details for Cochin as provided by the sales advisor.

India-bound MG eZS electric SUV unveiled. Edit: Launched at 19.88 lakh-capture.png
neil.jericho is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th June 2020, 14:02   #113
BHPian

Got a brief look at MG ZS EV at MG Showroom,Wakad as it has been launched in Pune now. Sadly, they didn’t have a TD car just yet. It should be available by next week or so as per the SA.

The car kept for display is an exclusive variant (top end) in “Copenhagen Blue”. Car standing just besides their Hector looked much better proportioned to be very frank. 17” wheels look good on this one.Looks are conventional but kinda dated. The build seemed solid. The doors,boot and hood had decent weight to them. Doors do close with a reassuring thud.

India-bound MG eZS electric SUV unveiled. Edit: Launched at 19.88 lakh-2f37e656858845d48dd2714acac16407.jpeg

The rear is also very conventional SUV/Crossover styled. Nothing fancy here.

India-bound MG eZS electric SUV unveiled. Edit: Launched at 19.88 lakh-dda10c99192e4edbbdd95fa8359f3b77.jpeg

The interiors surely give out VAG vibes. The switchgear,speedo and tachometer,sunroof adjustment button,etc are straight lift from Volkswagen-Audi Group. I quite liked the quality of materials and space. Rear space is much better than Kona. The panoramic sunroof covers upto 90% of the roof as per the SA. Speedo console feels terribly old for an EV. The graphics on the MID aren’t as good either.

India-bound MG eZS electric SUV unveiled. Edit: Launched at 19.88 lakh-e70cc94026c243fbb11b1eed5c698b1a.jpeg

Surprisingly,MG is also offering ₹1l discount to first 30 odd customers in Pune. That makes the price of Exclusive some ~₹60k lesser than the Kona (4th and 5th Warranty included in Kona’s pricing.) I’m quoted ₹24.52l for ZS EV Exclusive. (assuming that I’d book immediately and get ₹1l benefit.)

Will update the post once I drive it later next week.
ADI7YAK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2020, 20:25   #114
Senior - BHPian

These images from Autocar's web comparison review could clear some confusion regarding their range testing.
Attached Thumbnails
India-bound MG eZS electric SUV unveiled. Edit: Launched at 19.88 lakh-20200605090703_aci_collage.jpg  

India-bound MG eZS electric SUV unveiled. Edit: Launched at 19.88 lakh-zskonarangeaci-2.jpg  

Last edited by S2!!! : 6th June 2020 at 20:26.
S2!!! is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th June 2020, 20:51   #115
BHPian

Quote:
These images from Autocar's web comparison review could clear some confusion regarding their range testing.
I believe a much simple, albeit slightly inaccurate way is to just see km/kWh on the trip computer and multiply it by usable battery capacity. The word usable plays an important role in this. Kona has usable battery of 39.2kWh but actual capacity is around 42kWh. This is done to improve longevity of the battery as it actually never gets full or empty. MG has not published their numbers but according to some international forums and reviewers the usable battery on the ZS EV could be around 40-42kWh.

Regarding the efficiency,I’ve seen Konas doing anywhere between 5km/kWh to even 9km/kWh under normal driving conditions. I myself got 7.6km/kWh on my one and half hour 50 kilometre test drive. 7.6km/kWh multiplied by 39.2kWh battery equals 297km of range which is good IMO.
ADI7YAK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2020, 22:56   #116
Distinguished - BHPian

Most range tests by international media peg the most efficient EVs at around 7km/kWh in real world conditions. I still find the range that Autocar India is claiming for the ZS hard to believe. Nowhere else have I read the MG is more energy efficient than the Kona or gives a higher range. I’ll wait for the TBHP official review to have the last word or for owners to share their experiences.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 6th June 2020 at 23:00.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 7th June 2020, 01:00   #117

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/elect...halti-hai.html (My Hyundai Kona EV - Kitna chalti hai?)

This thread answers a lot of questions pertaining to the Kona. I am shocked that the test Kona shows only 215 kms range on a full charge. I'm eagerly waiting for the official Team-BHP comparison to clear things up.

Now that ZS EV has been launched in Cochin, I'm itching to go and see the vehicle in person. Cochin is quite far from where I live, but I can't wait much longer! I had booked the Kona in March, but cancelled due to the lockdown fiasco. Now that MG is here, I can really look into both cars and with the help of the team, make an informed decision. Hope we get that discount that they are offering in Pune.

I have not seen many fast chargers in Kerala. Apart from car dealerships, there is one opposite to Lulu mall, Edappally. Can some of the fellow Malayalis help me out finding some charging stations?
roshanvalsan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2020, 17:02   #118
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
Here are the price details for Cochin as provided by the sales advisor.

I just received a callback from the MG call center. They said that the introductory pricing of 19,88,000 and 22,58,000 will be applicable to the 6 newly launched cities until August.
SuhairZain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2020, 08:35   #119
Senior - BHPian

MG ZS EV review by Faisal Khan
Old 28th June 2020, 10:20   #120
BHPian

Quote:
Seems autocar is in the tank for MG. the only time I have got 5km/kwh from my kona was when I was hammering her in sports mode and just using brakes for everything, no regen.

Even climbing lonavala ghat at slightly over speed limit and full load and ac on gives 3.9km/kwh.

If it is a hot day, battery maintenance will take another 5%, but getting 205kms from a full charge of kona seems a tough task to me. I have regularly done pune-nashik runs which is 205kms and still have 40-45% left in the battery.

I have never driven the zs ev though, so cannot comment on that car’s range.
mohanphadnis is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks