Team-BHP > Electric Cars

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 19th April 2019, 07:18   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Tata builds a Nexon EV. EDIT: Launched at ₹13.99 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by prakash_ajp View Post
So, when is the right time? Do you really think the infrastructure you are talking about will come up without a need?

IMO, within the city, an electronic car is perfectly usable even now. Only question is the pricing. So far, whatever was available was way beyond reasonable pricing. Having said that, it's hard to imagine Nexon owners restricting their cars to city alone. On the other hand, no such problems for the Tiago, though.
So a few examples that come to my mind are the Jazz, Ford Fusion, 1st generation Skoda Yeti. All these vehicles were launched in segments which are the most growing now, but at the time of launches there was negligible interest shown by customers in these cars.

If the intention is to just get your name on the board, then complete fine. But if it is to succeed then an all electric vehicles makes no sense. Yes one can use it in the city, that too would require adequate planning though. But why will I buy a car costing more than 10L and still limit my freedom of movement. And the environment reason is an argument that only looks good on paper, lest cars like the Mahindra E2O and Reva would be have been blockbusters.
drmohitg is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th April 2019, 07:23   #17
BHPian

I personally don't believe that TATA would launch Nexon EV in it's current form in the market. Simply because it's just too heavy.

Maybe they are validating their Electrified powertrain (for their upcoming H2X) using the Nexon's body to keep prying eyes away.

Agreed, H2X is smaller but also lot lighter and makes sense to put an electrified powertrain on that lightweight car. (TATA has said the Alpha platform is one of the lightest platforms in the industry and still would be designed for 5 star crash rating)
vaasscit is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 19th April 2019, 08:50   #18
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaasscit View Post
I personally don't believe that TATA would launch Nexon EV in it's current form in the market. Simply because it's just too heavy.

Maybe they are validating their Electrified powertrain (for their upcoming H2X) using the Nexon's body to keep prying eyes away.
Ah, good point . Thanks! Tata would know better than anyone else that the best EVs are those designed to be electric from the ground up. Retrofitting an electric powertrain in a car that was designed to have an internal-combustion engine is a halfway-there solution.
GTO is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 19th April 2019, 09:45   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
As many have pointed above, currently the infrastructure does not exist to support an all electric car.
Infrastructure does not exist right now but is something that will evolve. If they can give us a car with a driving range of 250km, you are sorted for a city run about. Charging needs can be handled at home. This is where you burn a hole in your pocket with fossil fuel, especially a petrol.

On the subject of radiators as some others have asked, you won't find one but you will find a condenser coil for air conditioning. They look similar to a radiator.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 19th April 2019 at 09:48.
sandeepmohan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th April 2019, 09:48   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
So a few examples that come to my mind are the Jazz, Ford Fusion, 1st generation Skoda Yeti. All these vehicles were launched in segments which are the most growing now, but at the time of launches there was negligible interest shown by customers in these cars.
Well, I think it's obvious that market is not ripe yet and the infrastructure is not there to support EVs. So, no marks for stating the obvious. And it will be naive to think that a car manufacturer is not aware of the situation.

My question is, to put it explicitly again, when is the right time, if there is one?
prakash_ajp is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th April 2019, 09:58   #21
BHPian

This is a very good move by TATA. To mass productionize a technology and meet insane demands of the Indian customer is not easy. This car, in my opinion, is mostly for checking the power train. Considering that TATA would like to make a Car with range of 300-400 kms, that would necessitate a 500 kg battery pack. In other words, they will need a new platform to carry and protect that weight. Nexon, being built on the older generation platform, is just not built to carry that weight.
I know, that an obvious riposte is that Nexon is a 5 star GNCAP rated car. But current GNCAP ratings do not necessitate a Side Crash. This is where the problem starts.
But kudos should be given where it is deserved. It's a damn good thing to build and test the EV Nexon ( current gen). Who knows, this might be a proto car sort of thing for next gen Nexon with new underpinnings.
Carma2017 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2019, 10:10   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prakash_ajp View Post
Well, I think it's obvious that market is not ripe yet and the infrastructure is not there to support EVs. So, no marks for stating the obvious. And it will be naive to think that a car manufacturer is not aware of the situation.

My question is, to put it explicitly again, when is the right time, if there is one?
The way our cities and ppl are - already crowded (density) & jam packed retrofitting charging stations into the existing infrastructure (physical as well as the grid) will be a challenge.

EV will only succeed if they make economic sense & if they do then the CV owners will show far more enthusiasm than private vehicle owners.

It may just make more sense for a company like Tatas (with an existing CV portfolio) to entertain the idea of developing the Electric Commercial Vehicle market with highway dhabas offering charging stations of the " DC Fast" type.
Old 19th April 2019, 10:30   #23
Senior - BHPian

For those in doubt about whether EVs with a limited range are feasible in today's scenario, read the article below:-

Mahindra E2O electric car owner clocks 1 lakh Km: Spends only Rs 85,000 for electricity & maintenance [Video]

As per the source article, the owner has done these many kilometers in almost 5 years and saved a hefty sum on fuel bills as well. He is still using the original battery, and says that it may last for another 4-5 years more with his kind of usage.

So, I believe that we are ready to have EVs as our beater vehicles while for long inter city trips an ICE Car will still be more preferable till the proper infrastructure develops, or we get REEVs that can charge the EV on the go to curb the range anxiety among prospective buyers.
AdityaDeane is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 19th April 2019, 10:36   #24
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Mod Note: Let's focus on the Nexon EV here, guys. There are many other threads to discuss charging infrastructure. Thank you!
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th April 2019, 10:59   #25
BHPian

Electrification is a simple straightforward problem. Initially electrify those segments that makes most sense and the rest will continue.

- Vehicles that make 100+ km a day
- Vehicles that are bound to city limits and stop and go traffic

It makes economic sense today to throw in enough battery as the daily mileage demands for any and every vehicle that meets the above criteria. So private vehicles are the last ones that should be converted. It'll be an economic failure if TATA decided to make a 250+ km Nexon considering the price difference with the ICE Nexon.
sreeharipv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2019, 11:05   #26
BHPian

Some years back was stuck in very heavy traffic at Incheon Korea with my buyer.

his car was running on battery till 35 kmph after which the ICE would start automatically

as the traffic was heavy we traveled most of the distance on battery which was getting charged by braking and ICE as per him

this is what we require in India
dipak1406 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th April 2019, 15:05   #27
BHPian

This Nexon was spotted by a fellow Nexon owner Malwett Lobo on the Old Mumbai-Pune expressway. Notice that this has no exhaust pipe visible. Other than that, it has no other observable difference. This must be one of the three EVs they made.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata builds a Nexon EV. EDIT: Launched at ₹13.99 lakhs-screenshot_20190419145941.jpg  

PapaKiloSierra9 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 19th April 2019, 19:37   #28
BHPian

Nexon EV doesn't make sense to me.. neither does any other highway oriented car.. I would really lap up an economical small foot print city run about.. just office and back. Or for quick supermarket runs. Nano EV may be.
Old 19th April 2019, 21:15   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipak1406 View Post
Some years back was stuck in very heavy traffic at Incheon Korea with my buyer.

his car was running on battery till 35 kmph after which the ICE would start automatically

as the traffic was heavy we traveled most of the distance on battery which was getting charged by braking and ICE as per him

this is what we require in India
You are talking about a simple hybrid car. Something like a Toyota Prius.
It would be very useful in India. Of course it can run on electric mode just for a few kms before the ICE has to kick in even at slow speeds but people often drive a little faster for a while before getting stuck in slow traffic and this allows the battery to charge. My Prius used to last about 5 minutes in stop and go traffic if the battery was fully charged before the ICE kicked in. Of course if you are stuck without moving at all then it could last over 30 minutes. It is a great interim option before we move to full electric vehicles.
Lobogris is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2019, 08:22   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdityaDeane View Post
For those in doubt about whether EVs with a limited range are feasible in today's scenario, read the article below:-

Mahindra E2O electric car owner clocks 1 lakh Km: Spends only Rs 85,000 for electricity & maintenance [Video]

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=diCqlDcgRuI

So, I believe that we are ready to have EVs as our beater vehicles while for long inter city trips an ICE Car will still be more preferable till the proper infrastructure develops, or we get REEVs that can charge the EV on the go to curb the range anxiety among prospective buyers.
Good to know E2O performance through the owner directly, nice interview.

I have driven Reva-i, when I was serving in Goa. Superb pickup in Eco-mode compared to my i-10. In sports mode it goes insane. Parking was very simple and just a space for 2 scooters was more than sufficient. Very quite and fun to drive city car.

Quietness of the car used to pose a problem in heavy traffic, as no one used to notice the car behind them.

Venkatesh.H
Venkatesh.H is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed