Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 20th April 2019, 14:32   #31
BHPian

re: Tata builds a Nexon EV. EDIT: Launched at ₹13.99 lakhs

As the government has allowed the sale of Electric conversion kits and it is legal to convert the old Maruit 800s and Zens to all Electric. They are light as well, It is an open market for companies to launch such kits and these will be great hits for C towns and Villages, You can get an old 800 for around 25000 these days and if a good kit is available it can be a good mobility option for users who have a daily usage of around 60 kms.
filmaka is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2019, 14:08   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by charanreddy View Post
Nexon EV doesn't make sense to me.. neither does any other highway oriented car.. I would really lap up an economical small foot print city run about.. just office and back. Or for quick supermarket runs. Nano EV may be.
Would make sense for a lot of people though. Especially in the suburbs who travel to the main city everyday for work. Just to put things in perspective, I was doing 100km a day in a Duster ( Just office run, nothing crazy) and wouldn’t even think about Nano or something small. I knew atleast few dozen people like me in my workspace alone. Trust me, I would have happily traded my Dusty with a big EV which had good power and a respectable range.

Also I think, we won’t improve on the infrastructure unless we actually have a car that screams for it. Tata for sure knows this and ready to sacrifice the Nexon so the next car can just capitalise on it.

My 2 cents
turbowhistle is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st April 2019, 14:40   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Actually starting the EV movement with a Nexon or larger vehicle makes immense sense. These vehicles are not for the price sensitive - and people will want some basic creature comforts at that price point.

Of course, charging is an issue even for the very affluent in a city like Bombay - even in a high end luxury apartment block with stilt parking, fitting a charging point will be tough
Hayek is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st April 2019, 15:48   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbowhistle View Post
Would make sense for a lot of people though. Especially in the suburbs who travel to the main city everyday for work. Just to put things in perspective, I was doing 100km a day in a Duster ( Just office run, nothing crazy) and wouldn’t even think about Nano or something small.

My 2 cents
Fair enough.. I stay in suburbs and do 40+ Kms a day myself.. but personally can't / don't want to plonk big bucks on a car with limited range.. For me predictability is key, I would like to charge vehicle at home and forget about it until I return back.. And intercity / out of station travel on electric vehicle is a definite no-no..
Old 21st April 2019, 15:58   #35
BHPian

I think a Nexon EV has the potential to be a great 2nd car for the household.

A powerful and spacious EV from a known big brand should allay most people's usual concerns of an electric car. All comes down to how much Tata invests in the ecosystem as well. (Tesla like superchargers at petrol pumps maybe?)
Shreyas_H is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st May 2019, 10:24   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Right now, Tata has only built 3 Nexon EVs (for testing, I'm guessing). When well-priced EVs are finally launched in India, the early adopters will be less price sensitive, and have their own parking with the ability to install a charging point.

Good charging infrastructure is at least 5 - 10 years away, but so are EVs becoming mainstream.
Fast DC chargers are roughly halving in cost every 12 months (do not have a data source) and the tech is getting more robust. On the other hand companies like Ubitricity are converting street lamp posts into DC fast chargers. I have seen it in use in Hounslow, UK. Takes 45 - 60 minutes to convert any lamp post into a fast charger if the backend is in place!

Imagine every 50th street lamp post as a fast charger and locatable by an app. Suddenly charging infrastructure doesn't seem an uphill task, does it?

Also, installing fast chargers is less of a hassle than implementing CNG infrastructure. So logically with Private Public Partnerships in place and / or inclusion of creating EV Infrastructure as recognised company CSR Activity, I'd say 2021 is a good guess for the 'Tipping Point'!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
But why will I buy a car costing more than 10L and still limit my freedom of movement. And the environment reason is an argument that only looks good on paper, lest cars like the Mahindra E2O and Reva would be have been blockbusters.
Agreed EVs will be a novelty and do not make practical sense yet in terms of TCO (total cost of ownership). However, unlike developed economies, in India (and I already see it in Nepal and Bangladesh) EV adoption will happen bottom up.

EVs make for a positive TCO with lead acid batteries and battery replacement already in rural India. Go to the outskirts of Kolkata to see Toto's (EV 3 wheelers) in operation. Deeper into rural Bengal (both sides of the Indo-Bangla border), the 'cycle-van' or flat-bed cycle rickshaws that are classic 'last mile' transports have all been converted to EVs by roadside entrepreneurs using Chinese kits.

My prediction - the first vehicles to become EVs will be the share-taxi Eeco type vehicles used in Rur-ban settings and captive use vehicles like all the vehicles you see on airport tarmacs.

It is these unsexy vehicles that will become EVs first and pull down the TCO for the more common private use vehicles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmaka View Post
As the government has allowed the sale of Electric conversion kits and it is legal to convert the old Maruit 800s and Zens to all Electric. They are light as well, It is an open market for companies to launch such kits and these will be great hits for C towns and Villages, You can get an old 800 for around 25000 these days and if a good kit is available it can be a good mobility option for users who have a daily usage of around 60 kms.
That is exactly what I intend to do with my Nano XTA when the time comes!

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 1st May 2019 at 11:19. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please use the multi-quote option (QUOTE+) while quoting and responding to multiple posts. Thanks.
Ferruccio is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st May 2019, 12:51   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferruccio View Post
EVs make for a positive TCO with lead acid batteries and battery replacement already in rural India. Go to the outskirts of Kolkata to see Toto's (EV 3 wheelers) in operation. Deeper into rural Bengal (both sides of the Indo-Bangla border), the 'cycle-van' or flat-bed cycle rickshaws that are classic 'last mile' transports have all been converted to EVs by roadside entrepreneurs using Chinese kits.
This is happening everywhere throughout India I guess. Here in Dehradun (Uttarakhand) most of the Cycle Rickshaw's are replaced by E-Rickshaws as last mile connectivity solutions. Moreover, on a recent trip to Tis Hazari (New Delhi), I saw regular Cycle Rickshaw's converted to E-Rickshaws with the battery under the seat benches and the handle frame changed to something from a regular ICE Bike with a gauge for Battery Percentage.

Quote:
That is exactly what I intend to do with my Nano XTA when the time comes!
Exactly my thoughts too. When the Conversion Kits become affordable, I intend to give a new lease of life to my Nano Twist XT by putting in an Electric Motor and Battery kit which will be slightly more powerful and torquey than the current engine and use it as my beater vehicle for years to come.
AdityaDeane is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2019, 11:26   #38
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrodoOfTheShire View Post
For example, I stay on the 3rd floor of the apartment and have a dedicated parking space at the ground floor, but there's no charging point in the parking area that I can use to charge an EV. And even if there were an outlet, then it would cause additional headache to calculate that extra electricity that I would need to pay for.
My understanding is that Mahindra, for instance, is willing to set up a charging outlet that connects directly to your EB box. So the bill would be part of your EB bill. Of course, the apartment maintenance people have to be ok with installing the extra cabling.
Old 30th July 2019, 23:14   #39
BHPian

Tata motors confirms the fully-electric Nexon compact e-SUV as one amongst four EVs to be launched in the next 18 months.

Quote:
The models will include all-electric versions of the Nexon compact SUV and upcoming Altroz hatchback, a more powerful iteration of the Tigor EV and a fourth undisclosed model.

Like the Tigor EV, the Nexon EV is likely to feature a lithium-ion battery pack positioned under the seat in place of the conventional fuel tank. The model would offer AC and DC fast-charge options and could share its battery tech and motor with the Altroz EV. Tata had revealed a 250-300km targeted range on a full charge and an 80 percent charge in 60min with DC fast charging for the Altroz EV. Tata Motors executives had hinted the Altroz EV will cost more than Rs 10 lakh; and it’s likely that the Nexon EV will be more pricier.

The electric XUV300 is expected to launch in India by mid-2020, which should give the upcoming Nexon EV its first direct competition.
AutoCar India

Last edited by jailbird_fynix : 30th July 2019 at 23:21.
jailbird_fynix is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 31st July 2019, 09:22   #40
BHPian

So, i wanted to avoid posting this as the source may not be the best but now with Tata confirming launch of EVs, i think my post will make some sense:

Last weekend i was at Tata service station (In Noida) for my Nexon's 37.5k kms service. Since the service centre is pretty small, they move vehicles to the stockyard once the work is completed and get the vehicle back when the customer arrives. My Nexon was parked in the stockyard and there was no driver to get the vehicle back so the SA offered to drop me at the stockyard from where i can get my car directly. On the way, i checked if training for Altroz has been completed and he mentioned that it is underway as one batch is completed and the other is lined-up in the next week. He said that the car looks fabulous and the EV version is even more appealing. I was like

He told that they have been shown a proto version of Altroz EV and the dashboard is a bit different than the regular Altroz. There are a lot of "Blue" elements on the EV dashboard. The rest of the car is pretty much the same. No specifications, price, or launch timeline were given but they were just shown the car.
tarik.arora is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 31st July 2019, 17:04   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarik.arora View Post
He told that they have been shown a proto version of Altroz EV and the dashboard is a bit different than the regular Altroz. There are a lot of "Blue" elements on the EV dashboard. The rest of the car is pretty much the same. No specifications, price, or launch timeline were given but they were just shown the car.
It's probably the same Proto Type showcased at Geneva Motor Show, the internet is flooded with images https://www.rushlane.com/tata-altroz...-12299316.html
Old 31st July 2019, 18:45   #42
BHPian

The day Nexon EV or comparable car launches eV version with practical range of at least 300 kms and price it under 15 lakhs ( value according to today ). I will book that model immediately.

And I believe that day is not far, within three years we will see cars with that capacity and within 5 years, everybody will start going for electric cars.

Forget about infrastructure, it will come up in no time as demand picks up. You will see a charging station at every nook and corner, every dhaba and hotel, every apartment parking. For most of us, 99% usage will be fulfilled by charging in the home and office parking.

Like now, if I purchase any scooter, it will be electric. Same will happens to cars in next 5 years for all public.
sushantr5 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st August 2019, 11:28   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

The Nexon EV's junction box revealed by our friendly neighborhood Autospy.

Tata builds a Nexon EV. EDIT: Launched at ₹13.99 lakhs-w1.jpg

Tata builds a Nexon EV. EDIT: Launched at ₹13.99 lakhs-w2.jpg
RavenAvi is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 31st August 2019, 14:00   #44
Senior - BHPian

The Nexon EV will come before the Altroz EV says Tata Motors. Also the range they are targeting seems to be around 220KM per charge cycle.

Quote:
So, there will be a new electric car (Nexon EV) before the launch of Altroz EV.
Source - https://www.livemint.com/companies/p...847876411.html
safari_lover is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 31st August 2019, 14:14   #45
Senior - BHPian

From the Verito and Tigor EV's it's a given it's range (140 kms) and performance (40 bhp) are going to be 'abysmal' that's why they sell it to only Govt agencies that will use tax payers money on this and would junk it without batting a lid and wouldn't complain too much unlike the private buyers who would demand a lot.

The way forward is for a full hybrid system: subsidize battery packs, circuits and encourage assembly in India of the Hybrid systems so that they filter down to consumer levels and reduce fossil fuel consumption instead of getting ₹50 lakh Camry and Accord Hybrids that are hardly seen on the road.
Durango Dude is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks