Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 31st January 2020, 21:07   #616
BHPian

Re: Tata builds a Nexon EV. EDIT: Launched at ₹13.99 lakhs

We can love the Nexon EV, or we can hate it. We can rave about its practicality, or we can raze it to the ground. But, and a very big BUT, we cannot ignore what TaMo has just done with the Nexon EV. Yes, Mahindra had the Reva and E20, but TaMo is the FIRST INDIAN MANUFACTURER to give us a proper EV. We can say all that we want about the Nexon EV, but the Nexon EV will go down in Indian automotive history as the First full Indian EV.

I agree many have burnt their hands and money by buying a TaMo product in the past, but lets give credit where it is due. And generously so. TaMo has done what no other Indian car maker has done - 1) shifted the game from mileage to safety, and 2) worked diligently to build an EV, alongside getting ready for BS6 compliance, while our biggest car maker brushes off EV and continues to make tin cans.

Hat tip to you TaMo. This round goes to you.
iceman7 is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 31st January 2020, 22:08   #617
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawshank View Post
Got this price list from one of the Chennai dealers today - had naively assumed OTR price will be 1L more than ex-showroom price, OTR comes ~2L more.
It should be around or less than Rs 1L more than the ex-showroom price. The price list shows the life tax as more than Rs 1 lakhs. But in September 2019, Tamilnadu announced road tax waiver for all EVs till Dec 2022. Even Tata nexon ev website mentions that Tamilnadu has road tax waiver (see below screenshot). May be check with govt officials or Tata Motors directly if the road tax waiver is being implemented or not?

Tata builds a Nexon EV. EDIT: Launched at ₹13.99 lakhs-tn.png
sri_tesla is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 31st January 2020, 22:18   #618

Quote:
Originally Posted by sri_tesla View Post
But in September 2019, Tamilnadu announced road tax waiver for all EVs till Dec 2022. Even Tata nexon ev website mentions that Tamilnadu has road tax waiver (see below screenshot). May be check with govt officials or Tata Motors directly if the road tax waiver is being implemented or not?
The TaMo reps I talked with say the GO (Govt Order) will be passed within 2 weeks, but hasn't been passed yet, and they aren't clear if/how I'll get a refund if/when it passes.

And both keep pressurizing that prices are going to increase in Feb soon maybe by 1L. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 1st February 2020, 09:58   #619
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawshank View Post
Got this price list from one of the Chennai dealers today - had naively assumed OTR price will be 1L more than ex-showroom price, OTR comes ~2L more.
Talked with another TaMo representative who kept saying the prices will be increased in Feb, current advertised prices are just introductory, and was pressing me to pre-book with Rs.21K by tonight.
The OTR difference will be ~ 1 Lakh if you exclude the Road Tax.

The Karnataka price list shows Life Time Road Tax as ZERO.
However they have increased the logistics charges by 4500 (for ICE variants, it is 5000, whereas for EV it is 9500)! Same with TN dealers also!

Here is the price-list from Kropex:

Tata builds a Nexon EV. EDIT: Launched at ₹13.99 lakhs-img20200130wa0006.jpg

For reference, the price list of ICE variants given below:
(For Diesel auto variant, the Karnataka Life Time Road Tax goes all the way up to 2.4 Lakhs)

Tata builds a Nexon EV. EDIT: Launched at ₹13.99 lakhs-img_20200201_094632.jpg
salbin is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st February 2020, 11:21   #620
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by salbin View Post
However they have increased the logistics charges by 4500 (for ICE variants, it is 5000, whereas for EV it is 9500)! Same with TN dealers also!
This is exactly what I was talking about, illegal handling charges and as per the price list shared by you the insurance amount is an insane ₹73k+

The dealers are trying to squeeze the customers on this car!

Last edited by Zappex : 1st February 2020 at 11:22.
Zappex is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st February 2020, 12:23   #621
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappex View Post
as per the price list shared by you the insurance amount is an insane ₹73k+
!
That is for 3 years insurance as per the new norms for new vehicles.
https://economictimes.indiatimes.com...w/65612881.cms

You can choose to opt taking your own insurance and save some bucks in case you get a better deal outside.
There is also option to go for (1 year comprehensive + 2nd & 3rd year 3rd party), which will reduce the initial cost and decide later for comprehensive package upgrade for 2nd & 3rd year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sreejith V View Post
Looking at the size of the fast charger, I have a blunder question. If this is the complete set of a unit, the size of it seems to be just around 20ltr by volume and the input is a 3 Phase connection of 50A. Why this cannot be part of the EV Vehicle, so that the vehicle will have a fast charger inbuilt and we need only a 3 Phase, 50A connection? Whether there is a technical limitation or is it that the cost of this setup is in multiple lakhs?
That one is a 25Kw DC charger from Delta and is very costly.
https://www.deltaww.com/Products/Cat...ame=DC+Wallbox

See the landing price in India - more than 50% of Nexon EV price
Hope this answers your question.
Tata builds a Nexon EV. EDIT: Launched at ₹13.99 lakhs-capture.jpg

Last edited by salbin : 1st February 2020 at 12:38. Reason: combined 2 posts
salbin is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 1st February 2020, 14:50   #622
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by salbin View Post
Here is the price-list from Kropex:

Attachment 1963154

For reference, the price list of ICE variants given below:

Attachment 1963166
Referring to both price lists, it seems that the Nexon EV is now just another variant of the car and not something *Out of the world* in terms of pricing.

The Nexon Diesel XZA+ (O) actually costs more than the Nexon EV XZ+. It is an Apple to Apple comparison since both are *Not MTs* and both are Nexons, the exact same car barring the powertrains. Even the trim levels are pretty much evenly matched. There is some equipment that the Diesel has that the EV lacks and vice versa, so it is even stevens there.

It does have the advantage of the income tax deduction on the loan interest paid, that should help reduce some of the premium. Also, it will also be roughly ₹4-5/km cheaper to run in the city in just Diesel fuel costs (₹6-8/km for Petrol) That's about ₹4 lac in savings on Diesel (₹6 lac for Petrol) if you use the car for a reasonable 8 years @ ~10k km/year. More if it runs more, even more if you include savings on the maintenance costs (No oil, no clutch, no spark plugs nor turbochargers).

I see this doing very well in all states that have road tax benefits to EVs, especially the ones with the worst traffic, i.e., Bangalore, Mumbai and Pune. There is a very big use case for the Urban warriors who are looking at Diesel Automatics for an efficient Urban runabout. The Nexon EV makes a great case for itself.
antz.bin is online now   (14) Thanks
Old 1st February 2020, 16:20   #623
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pogo0120 View Post
But India has one solution all the time used. Load shedding!!!
Looks like more load shedding is coming our way whether you own an EV or not.
A similar situation is experienced in one of the cities i am well versed with. There is one area where all the ex-bureaucrats and rich people have homes. Power transmission infra has not been upgraded for last 30 years. So during the summer time when temperature reaches 45+, this area sub station trips almost every week because households are running multiple ACs. Restoration usually takes 2 days.

Same will happen in Metro cities now. Rich households will trigger sub-station trip. The situation will be even more drastic in Bangalore. The HVT lines have not been augmented in last 20 years or so. Hmm interesting times ahead.
CarJunki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2020, 16:26   #624
BHPian

Looks like some changes in the Union Budget today will impact the Electric car market in India. Not sure if this is the right place to post, but doing so.

Quote:
The customs duty on passenger vehicles (cars, SUVs and vans), bus and trucks, three-wheelers and two wheelers that are brought to India in completely knocked down (CKD) form is proposed to be raised to 15 percent, up from 10 percent presently from April 1.

In addition, Duty on SKD forms of electric passenger vehicles and three-wheelers has been doubled to 30 percent, up from 15 percent.

Sales of the Hyundai Kona and the MG ZS EV, both of which are not manufactured in India, will get impacted by this revision. The newly launched Nexon by Tata Motors, the Tata Tigor EV and the Mahindra e-Verito EV will beat the hike since these models will be manufactured in India.

SOURCE: https://www.moneycontrol.com/news/bu...t-4891821.html
sachinayak is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st February 2020, 17:16   #625
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarJunki View Post
Looks like more load shedding is coming our way whether you own an EV or not.
I strongly support electric cars.
1. Cleaner environment
2. Foreign exchange savings by not paying to middle eastern countries.

Every time, we raise the the accelerator or start the engine, we make Shaiks of Dubai or Emirates or Qatar rich.

On the other hand, lets be realistic.

All our electricity boards are loss making in India! Reason, inefficiency and politics. Take for e.g, Karnataka. S Bangarappa, when he was CM of Karnataka, long time ago, figured out that if free electricity is offered to farmers, then he will get more votes. He passed the rule of FREE electricity to farmers and it exists even today, No one will even dare to touch it, Not even MODI. Its more like reservation policy.

Result. City dwellers pay more to compensate losses. But now, the situation will differ. Electric cars and bikes will consume MANY TIME more electricity that what is available today. And electric vehicles will penetrate villages with free electricity. In Bangalore it is regular to have power cuts daily twice for one hour each in summer. In places like rural Shimoga or rural Karnataka, it is worse. In summer it is 10 Hours shut down. From Morning 9 to evening 6.30 or 7PM. I am not joking, serious!. I have asked villagers how do you survive. But they say they are used to it.

If an electric vehicle is super charging at say 10KW and if 1000 cars are getting charged, then we need additional 10Mega Watts of electricity.

In places like Bangalore, 10,000 or more cars may get connected same time. For e.g, taxi drivers or call center cabs, even individuals. Every one will charge in the night. Now every one starts driving from the morning. By afternoon 2 or 2.30 3 PM, almost every driver will connect to super charger and start taking lunch break. If 10,000 cars, mini trucks etc are connected, then we need 100MW, additional. Not to mention two wheelers, three wheelers and other vehicles.

Once electric car advantages start getting into the minds of people, every one will go after it due to 1/3d or 1/4th operation cost and very reduced maintenance cost.

This is why I said, time bomb ticking!!!
pogo0120 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st February 2020, 17:44   #626
BHPian

Quote:
All our electricity boards are loss making in India! Reason, inefficiency and politics.
Widespread EVs and the electricity board problem dark cloud does have a silver lining.

More electric vehicles > Higher per capita electricity consumption > More people in the higher electricity billing slabs > More money to the Discoms to upgrade infra, Less money to OMCs > More procurement of electric distribution equipment > More production of distribution equipment > Higher GDP > More Manufacturing jobs > More money to the people > Lower import bills > Stronger Currency > Better purchasing power > More electric vehicles

This is a simplistic approach and there may be variables which may affect this but it seems this is the govt.'s secret masterplan to a few of the problems faced by the country.
antz.bin is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 1st February 2020, 19:30   #627
BHPian

Quote:
I strongly support electric cars.
1. Cleaner environment
2. Foreign exchange savings by not paying to middle eastern countries.

This is why I said, time bomb ticking!!!
Fully agree. I am all for any mode of transport that eliminates pollution.
The Free electricity will come to an end slowly. The reason is not politics but market policy.

Earlier state governments could buy electricity from national grid on post paid basis. The average payment delay due to this is hovering around 600 days, some states even touching 800 days. So effectively one can give free electricity at election time and forget to pay later.

Now all the state governments are required to buy from national grid in pre-paid manner. Either submit a bank guarantee or DD before being able to buy any from national grid.

Still there is little chance that any state government will invest in high voltage transmission infrastructure just to augment for EV. This is where the real problem will happen.

Just a sample case: In my apartment approximately 100 cars are there. If all of these change to electric over a period of time(and a high chance as some electric bikes are already there), we are talking about 300kV additional load from just one apartment. So additional transformers which association has to buy, BESCOM does not for apartments.
Some apartments communities can have 1000 or more cars on regular basis.

Still all of this does not mean we should not go EV, we all should and maybe demand better energy infrastructure.
CarJunki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2020, 01:18   #628
Senior - BHPian

This is my first post on Team-bhp and happy to post about my experience today.

I went to the TATA Kropex showroom at E city as I had some work there and wanted to see the vehicle.. Asked for Nexon EV for test drive and the vehicle was ready for test drive after 15 mins.
I put the vehicle in drive mode and the vehicle was creeping forward very slowly, little disappointed why a disadvantage of ICE had to be brought to an EV. I do not want to make tyre noises so moved little and pressed the pedal hard. In drive mode it was like a regular ICE car, I changed to sport on the go and the car was like pushing very hard(though may not be as dramatic as the costlier evs).
The sales lady asked me to take bad roads to test the suspension and that too impressed me.
So the max AC charging is 3.3kw and max dc charge rate is 25 kw, should have been better if 7.4kw and 50kw was given as it has liquid cooled battery, tata looks to conservative about battery health.
SKC-auto is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2020, 19:52   #629
BANNED

I went and had a test drive at Prerana motors, rajajinagar. Since, am used to riding an ather, wasn't started at the start of the car as I was initially in Ather, started in drive mode and then switch to sports. The acceleration from 20 to 80 is just awesome, couldn't go beyond it in the city due to traffic. The noise level was lesser than what i had observed in Kona test drive. The back seat are comfortable to sit and don't have that raised position which was present in Kona, AC was great as can be expected in recent TATA cars.
I am planning to go through LeasePlan to lease the car from company and went ahead with the booking slot to get the car at the earliest. I was told it will refunded back to me once the booking switches to LeasePlan.
DarthVeda is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2020, 01:19   #630
BHPian

Would fortum charge and drive work with nexon EV?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks