Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 13th May 2020, 18:35   #886
BHPian

Re: Tata builds a Nexon EV. EDIT: Launched at ₹13.99 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
Congratulations on your purchase. Pls keep us updated on real world range and charging times as you clock more miles. Also, pls tell us about the insurance costs of the vehicle. Is it any different from a petrol or diesel car?
Thank you. I will definitely update you with more pics. I went for 3rd party insurance by Universal Sompo which quoted me 42k. Usually ICE cars get a lesser quote but since the insurance guys are still not aware of the risks with EVs they charged extra. Anyway, this is still way lesser than what the dealer quoted.
chandu1382 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2020, 23:31   #887
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandu1382 View Post
Hey guys,

I have received my Nexon EV XZ+ finally.
Congratulations, I am also from Vizag(staying in Bangalore), my parents stay near to the cricket stadium(I know you are from madhurwada, I have been following your posts from the day you revealed your nexon booking).

Please let us know your use case, about any long distance you intending to use. I feel this is a perfect vehicle for someone like me, where I can travel to my native Bobbili(around 100kms from Vizag) and back with a single charge.
Old 14th May 2020, 08:48   #888
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKC-auto View Post
Congratulations, I am also from Vizag(staying in Bangalore), my parents stay near to the cricket stadium(I know you are from madhurwada, I have been following your posts from the day you revealed your nexon booking).

Please let us know your use case, about any long distance you intending to use. I feel this is a perfect vehicle for someone like me, where I can travel to my native Bobbili(around 100kms from Vizag) and back with a single charge.
Hi,

Thank you. I have purchased this because i like EVs and i needed a 2nd car. My use case is only for city purposes. My daily travel is around 40km per day. Sometimes it goes upto 100km like once a month.

IMO:
- unless you're sure you won't get any call that will change your travel plan, don't use it for long drives yet. (trip to VZM should be fine. since Bobbili is less than 100km from where you live, you can definitely plan it but it's better if you have a charging point there too)
- since you live in the outskirts, if you get some medical emergency/ some other emergency when the car is charging then it'll be really difficult. EVs can only be a good second car AS OF NOW. But it definitely is the way ahead.

It is like a phone. The more you wait the better versions you get. But sooner or later you have to buy.
chandu1382 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 14th May 2020, 18:26   #889
BHPian

Quote:
Hey guys,

I have received my Nexon EV XZ+ finally. This is the story about my experience of the car and support from TATA Motors. (Location: Visakhapatnam/ Vizag, AP). I am the first owner of the car in Andhra Pradesh.
Congratulations on your purchase. What was the total cost, can you share the complete breakdown? I am looking for a replacement for my current vehicle, and Nexon EV is on the list. I am not really sure if I am ready to switch to an EV right now due to lack of infrastructure.

My primary usage will be a commute of 60 KMs to office daily and once in a month trip to my hometown, which is 150 kms from Hyderabad. I can arrange for a charger setup at my hometown.

The main reason for exploring EV is the cost of my daily commute. I am shelling out exactly 10,000/- per month just on diesel plus additional 10,000/- per year on service and maintenance. Nexon EV should be much cheaper to maintain, but the pricing is bit of out of my budget (I am aiming for mid-variant).

I want to do long trips, but thanks to Covid lifestyle, it is on break for many years to come (at least for me). I understand the EV charging infrastructure in Hyderabad is good, but not sure about slots availability or waiting times at charging stations as many cabs are now EV's here.
Old 14th May 2020, 19:56   #890
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramnaresh_2000 View Post
Congratulations on your purchase. What was the total cost, can you share the complete breakdown? I am looking for a replacement for my current vehicle, and Nexon EV is on the list. I am not really sure if I am ready to switch to an EV right now due to lack of infrastructure.

Thank you.
Ex-showroom price is same across India: 15 lakhs
Insurance: 42k
Lifetax: NIL in AP
RTO charges: 10k (i chose a fancy number. Single no 6. Fortunately no auction happened for it thanks to Corona)
Handling charges: 10k is what the dealer quoted. You can negotiate on that.

150km one way is a safe bet. You can comfortably get that range if you don't waste battery too much on the way. But do check if it's 150km from Hyderabad in general or from the place you reside right now as Hyderabad is a huge city so you'll have to be specific on your departure point.

Even if we get EV infrastructure, more than 95% of the time we'll use only home charger. The fast charging stations are beneficial only on long drives. Unless you're in a profession that involves a lot of non local trips by car you can handle an EV. So we don't need to wait for it. In fact, these batteries have better life on slow charging. Even the manual suggests so.

You can check out Tigor EV as well if you're looking for a cheaper EV. I was told that the range it's giving is 150km on a single charge. But you definitely can't risk to go to your hometown on it if we don't have the infrastructure. If you can wait you can also consider the Altroz EV. I remember seeing another thread here but not sure when it's going to launch exactly.
chandu1382 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 14th May 2020, 20:12   #891
BHPian

Quote:
Insurance: 42k
Lifetax: NIL in AP
RTO charges: 10k

But do check if it's 150km from Hyderabad in general or from the place you reside right now as Hyderabad is a huge city so you'll have to be specific on your departure point.

If you can wait you can also consider the Altroz EV. I remember seeing another thread here but not sure when it's going to launch exactly.
Interesting to see Lifetax is NIL in AP. In Hyderabad it is showing 1.34 lakhs for RTO and insurance is showing 72k (which I am sure I can get better quotation outside). I guess it is time for all states to follow the same, I know TN is also charging Zero Road Tax on EV's.

My hometown is exactly 150 km's from my house in Hyderabad to my parents house in Warangal. Also not interested in the Altroz EV, I am sure it will not give the same range as Nexon EV.
Old 14th May 2020, 20:21   #892
BHPian

Hello guys,

I'd like to share a few more updates and my learnings after driving a few more kms on the EV today.

For those who like to coast on the highways, don't worry. You can absolutely coast on this EV.
When you press the accelerator, the car consumes battery which is shown on this meter.
Tata builds a Nexon EV. EDIT: Launched at ₹13.99 lakhs-img_20200514_113328_li.jpg

When you release the accelerator the regen kicks in and the graphics is like this.
Tata builds a Nexon EV. EDIT: Launched at ₹13.99 lakhs-img_20200514_113324_li.jpg

But when you press the accelerator just enough to balance in between giving power and regen, you can coast. I've been coasting a lot today.
Coasting at 40kmph:
Tata builds a Nexon EV. EDIT: Launched at ₹13.99 lakhs-img_20200514_113333_li.jpg

Coasting at 80kmph:
Tata builds a Nexon EV. EDIT: Launched at ₹13.99 lakhs-img_20200514_175908.jpg

Finding the right balance is intuitive. A few kms and you can find it.

Also, I found a second 12V charging port behind the rear left seat
Tata builds a Nexon EV. EDIT: Launched at ₹13.99 lakhs-img_20200514_141109.jpg

Today's performance:
Tata builds a Nexon EV. EDIT: Launched at ₹13.99 lakhs-img_20200514_174851.jpg

The 80km shown was driven on highway and city traffic. Driven by 3-4 people other than me as my friends wanted to test drive. They were also testing the sport mode. Many ups and downs. (Vizag's topography is not at all flat like Hyderabad or Bangalore)
IMO we wouldn't need sport mode be it in the city or on the highways. But it's nice to have.

What else do you want me to explore? I'm excited!

Quote:
Interesting to see Lifetax is NIL in AP. In Hyderabad it is showing 1.34 lakhs for RTO and insurance is showing 72k (which I am sure I can get better quotation outside). I guess it is time for all states to follow the same, I know TN is also charging Zero Road Tax on EV's.

My hometown is exactly 150 km's from my house in Hyderabad to my parents house in Warangal. Also not interested in the Altroz EV, I am sure it will not give the same range as Nexon EV.
I don't want to sound like i'm selling anything but i think the solution for you is to buy Nexon EV in AP and drive to Hyderabad/ Warangal. Even if you have to stay overnight in a hotel, it'll be worth the adventure and also be saving over a lakh. You'll only have to find a solution for the RTO process.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 14th May 2020 at 20:31. Reason: Back to back posts
chandu1382 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 14th May 2020, 23:50   #893
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations Chandu1382 on your purchase. . This car is excellent VFM. And, a good car, too. Good to know AP has waived life tax for EVs. I am from Y'zag, too. Once this lockdown thing is over, may be we can meet up to check out your ride. I just wish Nexon EV's range were a little more. Other than that, it got pretty much everything else covered.

BTW, did you get green coloured registration plate? If yes, then that gives your car some uniqueness until EV fad catches on. Post more pics and do write a detailed review, if your time permits.
Old 15th May 2020, 06:51   #894
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
Congratulations Chandu1382 on your purchase. . This car is excellent VFM. And, a good car, too. Good to know AP has waived life tax for EVs. I am from Y'zag, too. Once this lockdown thing is over, may be we can meet up to check out your ride. I just wish Nexon EV's range were a little more. Other than that, it got pretty much everything else covered.

BTW, did you get green coloured registration plate? If yes, then that gives your car some uniqueness until EV fad catches on. Post more pics and do write a detailed review, if your time permits.
Thank you.
Sure. Let's meet up.

Yeah.. I'd be really happy if the car gave 250km range without any effort.

I didn't get a license plate yet. The dealer says that it'll be given after 17th May (after the lockdown)

I'm attaching a couple of screenshots of the app and the screen while charging.

Please tell me what exactly you'd want me to checkout. I'm excited
Attached Thumbnails
Tata builds a Nexon EV. EDIT: Launched at ₹13.99 lakhs-screenshot_20200514210244.jpg  

Tata builds a Nexon EV. EDIT: Launched at ₹13.99 lakhs-screenshot_20200514222607.jpg  

Tata builds a Nexon EV. EDIT: Launched at ₹13.99 lakhs-img_20200514_213424.jpg  

chandu1382 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 15th May 2020, 14:39   #895
BHPian

Quote:
Hello guys,

I don't want to sound like i'm selling anything but i think the solution for you is to buy Nexon EV in AP and drive to Hyderabad/ Warangal. Even if you have to stay overnight in a hotel, it'll be worth the adventure and also be saving over a lakh. You'll only have to find a solution for the RTO process.
To be honest, that thought did cross my mind. Few of my relatives stay in Vijayawada, but I was told that the registration should be made on someone's name who is actually a citizen there. I do not want to register the vehicle on relatives name to save 1 lakh

How much charge discharged on that 80 kms trip? I also read somewhere that Tata is planning to extend the range by some updates. Tesla did the same and just by updates they were able to increase the range by 30-40 KMs.
Old 15th May 2020, 15:11   #896
BHPian

Quote:
To be honest, that thought did cross my mind. Few of my relatives stay in Vijayawada, but I was told that the registration should be made on someone's name who is actually a citizen there. I do not want to register the vehicle on relatives name to save 1 lakh

How much charge discharged on that 80 kms trip? I also read somewhere that Tata is planning to extend the range by some updates. Tesla did the same and just by updates they were able to increase the range by 30-40 KMs.
Hehe. Of course. That's too risky for 1 lakh.

50% discharged for that 80km trip. But as I said. It was in experimental mode and the roads included highways, city roads, steep slopes, bad terrain roads. About some 10-15km on sports mode.
chandu1382 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th May 2020, 12:15   #897
BHPian

Quote:
50% discharged for that 80km trip. But as I said. It was in experimental mode and the roads included highways, city roads, steep slopes, bad terrain roads. About some 10-15km on sports mode.
So is it safe to assume that it can deliver around 160 kms even when abused around?

This would be my usage pattern when I travel to my hometown
  • 2 Adults and 1 Kid
  • Exact 150 km from point A to point B
  • Full A/C with fan at 2 points throughout the journey
  • Radio ON throughout the journey
  • Total journey time 3.5 hours including 1 mandatory break of 20 minutes
  • 30 kms city driving and 120 kms NH driving
  • Driving speed will not cross 80 kmph as there are speed cameras installed on NH everywhere
  • Zero usage of headlight apart from daytime running DRL's

The below would be my usage when I travel to work daily. Based on below usage pattern, I am guesstimating that I will have to charge it once in every 2-3 days?
  • 1 Adult (Myself)
  • Exact 62 kms to and fro from home and office
  • Off-peak travel times - Start: 13:00 and Return: 22:00
  • Medium traffic at 13:00 and almost zero traffic at 22:00
  • Full A/C throughout the journey
  • Radio ON throughout the journey
  • Exactly 1.5 hours journey while going to office
  • Exactly 1 hour return journey
  • Driving speed 30-60 depending on traffic
  • Headlights plus DRL's on return journey only
Old 17th May 2020, 08:03   #898
BHPian

Quote:
So is it safe to assume that it can deliver around 160 kms even when abused around?

This would be my usage pattern when I travel to my hometown
Yes. 160km even when abused around. No problem.

You don't need to worry at all about commuting to work. You can commute like 2-3 days on a single charge.

Hometown travel: try doing it alone once. After you get the hang of the car and change your driving behaviour (just a bit if you're a seasoned one) then you can take your family along. But it's always better not to abuse the car when going long.

Last edited by Sheel : 17th May 2020 at 08:35. Reason: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers. Thanks!
chandu1382 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th May 2020, 10:51   #899
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hometown travel: try doing it alone once. After you get the hang of the car and change your driving behaviour (just a bit if you're a seasoned one) then you can take your family along. But it's always better not to abuse the car when going long.
Have you observed quicker deterioration of range when the car has a full load of 5 passengers vs when you are alone? With my diesel City, I get 22-23kmpl on the highway with 2 people, but it drops to 18-19kmpl under full load. Is it a similar case with EVs?
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2020, 12:42   #900

Quote:
I guess it is time for all states to follow the same, I know TN is also charging Zero Road Tax on EV's.
Contrary to news items, TN is charging 7.5% road tax for EVs (atleast 4 wheelers, unsure about 2 wheelers) - the Nexon EV price list in Chennai reflects the same. I enquired with 3-4 dealers and all SAs as well as Tamo reps said a new GO need to be passed. With Covid this new discount may not even be a priority.
shawshank is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks