Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 17th May 2020, 17:07   #901
BHPian

Re: Tata builds a Nexon EV. EDIT: Launched at ₹13.99 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
Have you observed quicker deterioration of range when the car has a full load of 5 passengers vs when you are alone? With my diesel City, I get 22-23kmpl on the highway with 2 people, but it drops to 18-19kmpl under full load. Is it a similar case with EVs?
I drove the car with 4 persons but not for long. Didn't observe but that's anyway bound to happen. More the load more the power required to pull and hence more juice required.
However, this time I will try to observe the difference in the deterioration but I'm afraid it will happen only after the lockdown.
chandu1382 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2020, 20:09   #902
BHPian

Saw this in Twitter:
https://twitter.com/aksomayaji/statu...095092737?s=19
This person driven 200km in highway from Bangalore and 18% charge left after 200km.
Tata builds a Nexon EV. EDIT: Launched at ₹13.99 lakhs-screenshot_20200520200737523_com.twitter.android.jpg
salbin is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 21st May 2020, 10:45   #903
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by salbin View Post
Saw this in Twitter:
https://twitter.com/aksomayaji/statu...095092737?s=19
This person driven 200km in highway from Bangalore and 18% charge left after 200km.
Attachment 2008255
Hi chandu1382,

Does your Nexon give separate average consumption for each trip meters?

The picture shows an average consumption of 227Wh/km on trip A for 207 Km. That translates to almost 47kWh which is more more than Nexon EVs battery capacity. It just does not add up. The consumption is too high to achive any meaningful range.

In the screenshots shared by our own member chandu1382, the consumption on trip A hovers between 136 Wh/km to 151Wh/km. This translates to a range of 200km to 180km range if 90% percent of its 30kWh capacity is used.

Thanks,
Antony
AntPaul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2020, 12:51   #904
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntPaul View Post
He had charged the car on the way. So the assumption that 227wh/km is not going to give you 200km is correct. The usage for most people in city hovers around 120wh/km and on highway around 140-160. So ideally we are looking at a range of around 200-240 based on driving style and use of regen. However, a recent news suggest that Tata has an update in pipeline which would futher enhance the range and performance a bit.

Last edited by ampere : 29th May 2020 at 07:29. Reason: Compacted quoted post
shashankw839 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th May 2020, 08:35   #905
BHPian

Nexon EV (or any decent EV) is ideal for anyone:

1. who lives in a city. EVs are more efficient in city speeds in contrast to ICEVs.

2. has a decent commute (30 km+). Its easier to drive in the city and savings on fuels are significant.

3. and have a place to charge at home or office. We need to drop the discussion around only having to charge every 2-3 days. Charging is something you do every night. You top off to the recommended levels set by manufacturer. There's no reason to not do that. EVs aren't for you if you don't have a place to charge at home or work.

If you aren't sure of getting an electric car, try getting an electric scooter. You'll see how its better all around.
sreeharipv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2020, 08:50   #906
BHPian

@chandu1382 - Congratulations on your great purchase. Hope you lead the way in showing others how convenient and practical EVs can be.

Had a question on drivability. Which traditional Automatic is the driving experience of the Nexon EV closest to ? CVT /TC /DCT /AMT ? Would it be easier to learn driving an EV as compared to a ICE auto , for someone who has no prior driving experience ?
Old 25th May 2020, 22:35   #907
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntPaul View Post
The average Wh/ km is not separate for the trip meters. It's also dynamic. You drive aggressively for a few moments it shoots up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCRider View Post
@chandu1382 - Congratulations on your great purchase. Hope you lead the way in showing others how convenient and practical EVs can be.
Thank you. Yes, I'm explaining everyone I know why it makes sense to buy an EV and why they shouldn't be worried. About comparison with transmission- it's definitely doesn't feel like AMT and TC. May be CVT. Not sure about DCT.

Yes. It'll be easier to learn on an EV for a beginner. But they get spoilt with technology. IMO it's always best to learn on a manual transmission

Last edited by ampere : 29th May 2020 at 07:30. Reason: Please edit original post instead of posting back to back posts. Kindly revisit the forum rules; compacted quoted post
chandu1382 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th May 2020, 19:29   #908
BHPian

Is it possible to install a fast charging station at home ? What are the technical difficulties regarding the electric lines? Is it possible with some 10 kv solar set up ?
Old 27th May 2020, 23:19   #909
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shasha View Post
Is it possible to install a fast charging station at home ? What are the technical difficulties regarding the electric lines? Is it possible with some 10 kv solar set up ?
You can set it up at home if you can afford it and can get the KSEB approvals. Nexon EV accepts upto 25KW fast charging and a 25KW fast charging station costs upwards of 5 lakhs. Then you need a 25+ KW connection from KSEB for which you will have to pay a security deposit of around 1.5L. Add to it the cabling charges where you will need separate cabling from the nearest transformer. If you are unlucky enough, you may even end up setting up a transformer in your compound if the electricity board decides that the their transformer cannot supply the additional demand. On top of that, there will be a fixed fee of ~5K per month in addition to your electricity consumption charges.

5 years ago, I had taken a 40KW connection in Trivandrum and ended up paying close to 5L for all fees, security deposit and cabling. I am paying 6000+ as fixed charge every month even if I don't use the electricity. So unless KSEB has come up with any new consumer friendly policy for EV fast charging, it will not be worth the cost and the hassles.

A 10KW solar cannot provide continuous and stable power to charge an EV. You will have to supplement it with Grid power even if you are planning for a <10KW fast charger (I haven't seen DC fast chargers <15KW. ). And with that, you might end up reducing the charging time just by a few hours.

Last edited by Holyghost : 27th May 2020 at 23:22.
Holyghost is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th May 2020, 23:37   #910
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shasha View Post
As Holyghost replied setting up fast chargers is a costly affair, and I am not even sure if the utility will allocate 30kw(25kw for car + 5kw for other use) power to single house.

Yes, you can use the solar power directly to your car but that is not possible with a dumb charger given by Tata along with the car.

You need a smart charger like this which can directly use your solar power.
https://myenergi.com/product/zappi/

Not sure any of these kind of smart chargers are sale in India.
SKC-auto is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 28th May 2020, 12:06   #911
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holyghost View Post
You can set it up at home if you can afford it and can get the KSEB approvals. Nexon EV accepts upto 25KW fast charging and a 25KW fast charging station costs upwards of 5 lakhs.
25KW or 2.5KW?

25KW at 220V translates to 113Amps. Can a EV can take 113 Amps for charging?

Usually, 3 phase connection can get a sanctioned load upto 12KW . Anything beyond and you need a transformer for your home.

Last edited by sagarpadaki : 28th May 2020 at 12:09.
Old 28th May 2020, 16:07   #912
BANNED

Fast charging is done through DC, for anything up to 25KW, would be having either 48v or 72v with max current drawn at 200A.
for anything above that the voltage goes to and above 700V. I highly doubt, that you can have fast charging setup at home.
DarthVeda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2020, 18:15   #913
BHPian

Hello everyone,

This is a very interesting thread and I'm really impressed by the product that TATA has delivered.

Does anyone know of the schedule of the Lease/Subscription option that TATA was planning to start for Nexon EV somewhere around April 2020?

I know the current situation might have delayed it a bit, but any ideas on how long? Any pointers would be really helpful.

Thanks!

Jaspreet Singh
Old 11th June 2020, 15:19   #914
BHPian

Hi,

If I want to buy insurance from outside, can someone guide who to contact?

Cannot see Tata nexon ev on acko or policybazaar. Mu assumption is it would be cheaper if I purchase from outside.
Old 11th June 2020, 20:49   #915
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bornnerd View Post
Hi,

If I want to buy insurance from outside, can someone guide who to contact?

Cannot see Tata nexon ev on acko or policybazaar. Mu assumption is it would be cheaper if I purchase from outside.
Have you talked to the customer representatives of policybazaar and other websites and explained about the situation?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks