Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 20th December 2019, 10:56   #181
BANNED

re: Tata builds a Nexon EV. EDIT: Launched at ₹13.99 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson View Post
Pardon my ignorance. What are the chances of an EV catching fire while charging or during running? Any views on these?
Why the doubts of these kind pop up mostly only on threads of Tata Motors and comparatively lesser on other threads? Where do all(most of all) these doubts and doubters vanish when it comes to other manufacturers? Can't see similar/same posts from the same members on the Kona and eZS threads!

Note: Before one might say/argue that even other manufacturers are not spared/left, I am talking about the difference in number of such posts and the eventual response or non-response to such posts.

Last edited by wheelguy : 20th December 2019 at 10:59.
wheelguy is offline   (33) Thanks
Old 20th December 2019, 11:27   #182
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson View Post
Pardon my ignorance. What are the chances of an EV catching fire while charging or during running? Any views on these?
there are chances of anything happening anywhere, but what you said happening is so minuscule it's the same chance of an EV getting stuck by lightning and getting fully charged.

Just remember, in ICE vehicles, explosions keep happening all the time, underneath you or in front of you, and we are never worried that it will come out of that container.
DarthVeda is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 20th December 2019, 12:06   #183
Senior - BHPian

I can confidently say that this is the most good looking sub 4 meter SUV now available in the market, period.

Well done Tata !!
aniketi is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 20th December 2019, 12:12   #184
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelguy View Post
Why the doubts of these kind pop up mostly only on threads of Tata Motors and comparatively lesser on other threads? Where do all(most of all) these doubts and doubters vanish when it comes to other manufacturers? Can't see similar/same posts from the same members on the Kona and eZS threads!

Note: Before one might say/argue that even other manufacturers are not spared/left, I am talking about the difference in number of such posts and the eventual response or non-response to such posts.
Well the fears are not unfounded, reasons being:
a) Tata is known to provide cars with niggles. ICE technology is well established so these drastic questions do not come up with ICE cars but EV is a different ball game.

b) Nexon EV is yet an unproven / untested car so people will have this fear

c) There have been incidents of EVs catching fire (Kona in Canada) so reason for people to ask questions

Brands which are established do provide comfort and that is what brand value is all about. Nexon and Tata need to prove themselves and these questions cant just be shunned away.

EDIT : this is the most looking EV on market right now and in my consideration set for next change.

~sm

Last edited by serious_maniac : 20th December 2019 at 12:13.
Old 20th December 2019, 13:33   #185
BHPian

Just noticed that Tata Motors used Britax Roemer child car seat in their official image of Nexon EV. The same was used in Altroz official images as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata builds a Nexon EV. EDIT: Launched at ₹13.99 lakhs-untitled.png  

Last edited by amitahirrao : 20th December 2019 at 13:39.
amitahirrao is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th December 2019, 13:56   #186
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by serious_maniac View Post
Well the fears are not unfounded, reasons being:
a) Tata is known to provide cars with niggles.
Well, it goes on for ever and ever.

While Tata is improving despite still having few issues here & there, others were declining in service, quality, design, and trust. We are seeing issues with Maruti, Honda, Hyundai, Toyota, MG, Kia, and Mahindra etc. But still despite the various issues Toyota remains the trusted Toyota, Maruti remains cheap to maintain Maruti, etc and Tata still remains the niggling Tata in peoples'/reviewers' minds.

Quote:
ICE technology is well established so these drastic questions do not come up with ICE cars but EV is a different ball game.

b) Nexon EV is yet an unproven / untested car so people will have this fear

c) There have been incidents of EVs catching fire (Kona in Canada) so reason for people to ask questions
a) Yes EVs are new compared ICE vehicles and the technology is yet to improve a lot. Yes these drastic questions show up, but more so on Tata related threads.

b) People are lapping up cars from new brands, what are they doing to dispel the fears? Throwing up assurance packages and warranties which were later rejected on basis the terms & conditions. Tata is known to be generous when it comes to part replacements under warranty when compared to other manufacturers which were not as generous as Tata.

c) Then does the same people who questioned here in this thread questioned in Kona thread too?

Quote:
Brands which are established do provide comfort and that is what brand value is all about. Nexon and Tata need to prove themselves and these questions cant just be shunned away.

EDIT : this is the most looking EV on market right now and in my consideration set for next change.
Brand value? Toyotas are known for their reliability and that's why they are charging premium for that, ask them to give the same reliable cars without charging premium and see if they will? Will Toyota ever give the same reliable Crsyta with comparable features at the price of a Hexa? Or will people ever lap up Hexa at the same price as that of Crsyta if Tata proves Hexa's reliability?

Toyota despite charging the premium at times it gives comparatively lesser equipment, ask them to load their cars with all the electronic bells and whistles and still be reliable. And by the way, initial Crysta batches got issues which were later addressed but people will forget and forgive that and continue to buy Crysta because it was from Toyota. initial batches of Crysta got alloy wheel issues whereas Hexa despite 19inch alloy wheels got little or no alloy wheel issues. Harrier initial batches got issues which were later sorted out but it bombed(to an extent) because it was a Tata car and people still recall the Indica days!

If it's Tata it has to be reliable, loaded to the brim, and yet it must be very low priced to prove themselves?

Anyways I will stop it here to avoid this thread from going further off the topic. Wishes for your next car search.

Note: Request Toyota owners and admirers to not get offended, I just took it as an example to make the explanation easier.
wheelguy is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 20th December 2019, 22:46   #187
BHPian

Quote:
If it's Tata it has to be reliable, loaded to the brim, and yet it must be very low priced to prove themselves?
Yes. Sadly, that's the reality. Two fresh Tata cars - Altroz and Nexon EV.

Altroz: Reviews praise the car, don't have major complaints, and in many areas find it best in the segment. And then they end the review saying it needs to undercut the rivals by 50k to have a chance.

Nexon EV: Provides superb combination of safety, performance, features, low running cost, looks, comfort. But the fair value people assign to it is about 15 lakh, which is same as on road cost for XUV3OO W8 AMT.
pseudo_coder is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 20th December 2019, 23:04   #188
BHPian

NEXON EV looked so good that i wanted to compare it with Tesla Model 3 (ok ok over ambitious Tata fan boy agreed). If you compare base to base Nexon EV is not so bad. I am starting to appreciate it more and more now. Full article here https://desk.zoho.com/portal/mobilef...-tata-nexon-ev

Ps- I got thrilled when Pratap Bose sir liked my tweet about Nexon EV. Attaching screenshot. Felt very happy.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata builds a Nexon EV. EDIT: Launched at ₹13.99 lakhs-img_20191220_230054.jpg  

irdevanand is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th December 2019, 23:25   #189
BHPian

Going a bit off topic here.
People have the right to have concerns. Be it any brand. But Tata too hasn't really made an effort to quell these concerns.

Here's why.
So our dealer made a deal with us, and the number agreed was for a freshly minted Hexa.

He tried to stick us with a June manufactured model, saying Tata has final word on car allotment. I complained to Tata about the same, and apparently Tata had given them an earful within an hour of complain. +1 to Tata

Now, we renegotiated the deal in order to finalize on the June make.

Now here's where Tata screwed up. They sent the car without any final QC. Just loaded the car and off it came.

The speedometer cowl is misaligned & in your face, and the panel underneath the steering rack too is jutting out. The latter will be fixed. The former I doubt. These 2 problems I saw in the 1st minute I started the PDI. Destroyed my mood.

The right rear door's handle too was a bit jammy.

3 issues. Rest seemed alright, but I can't say something new won't pop up.

Conclusion? How long would it have taken Tata to QC my car and fix these issues before blindly loading it and dispatching it to Bombay? Half an hour? An hour at max?

Let me say that I'm a Hexa fanboy, and I was disappointed. If such is the attitude you have towards your flagship customers, it'll be difficult to convince people to spend 1.5 million+ rupees on your car.

Extra efforts will be needed to convince people to buy the Nexon EV. Don't screw up your first mover advantage.
No need to undercut other cars. Tighten the other loose ends. And probably each car you have could turn into a winner. I know Tata keeps getting the short end of the stick, but even they've had a hand in it.

Last edited by Aditya : 26th December 2019 at 17:35. Reason: As requested
TROOPER is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 21st December 2019, 07:42   #190
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudo_coder View Post
Nexon EV: Provides superb combination of safety, performance, features, low running cost, looks, comfort. But the fair value people assign to it is about 15 lakh, which is same as on road cost for XUV3OO W8 AMT.
I agree with most of your points, but not on the price of Nexon EV. The reason why this 15 lakh number came into picture is, Tata themselves mentioned that for the last few months officially. Now the official faq page has the same price range (see below).

Tata builds a Nexon EV. EDIT: Launched at ₹13.99 lakhs-nevprice.png

https://nexonev.tatamotors.com/faqs/

Coming to Nexon EV, its a good option for many buyers who are planning to buy compact SUVs like Brezza, Venue, XUV300, etc... Nexon EV price is only 2-3 lakhs higher than high end diesel AMT models. Nexon EV will have much lower running costs (fuel and maintenance), much better automatic transmission and more fun to drive.
sri_tesla is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2019, 09:52   #191
BHPian

Mr. Pratap Bose shared alternative sketches of Nexon EV on Twitter. All of them are wonderful. Last sketch's Rear design is best among all of Nexon's Rears till date IMO. Which one do you like most?
Attached Thumbnails
Tata builds a Nexon EV. EDIT: Launched at ₹13.99 lakhs-screenshot_20191221084034.png  

Tata builds a Nexon EV. EDIT: Launched at ₹13.99 lakhs-img_20191221_084024.jpg  

Tata builds a Nexon EV. EDIT: Launched at ₹13.99 lakhs-img_20191221_084022.jpg  

Tata builds a Nexon EV. EDIT: Launched at ₹13.99 lakhs-img_20191221_084019.jpg  

Last edited by Deepsp : 21st December 2019 at 10:03. Reason: Opinion added about rear section.
Deepsp is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 21st December 2019, 10:18   #192
Distinguished - BHPian

I am unable to understand the logic behind trim level naming. XM, XZ+ and XZ+ BEAUTY SOAP.

Why so? Wouldn't XM-XT-XZ+ have made much better sense? Honestly, thet had hit the bull's eye when launching the ZEST. Perfect 3 trims - XE (Entry), XM (Mid), XT (Top). That was by far the best variant naming approach. I don't see why they messed it up afterwards. Nexon EV trim nomenclature only messes it further.
Reinhard is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 21st December 2019, 10:44   #193
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
I am unable to understand the logic behind trim level naming. XM, XZ+ and XZ+ BEAUTY SOAP.
XZ+ BEAUTY SOAP

In a way it does seem messy.

But assuming the car has a 3 year cycle till next facelift, they're probably keeping space for a XM+ and XZ variant. Maybe a wait and watch, and trickle down features from XZ+ to the XM+ and XZ later on depending on demand.
TROOPER is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st December 2019, 11:09   #194
BANNED

EVs are coming, they are coming faster than you think, enjoy your current ICE rides to the fullest, who knows your next car might not be an ICE vehicle!
wheelguy is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st December 2019, 11:49   #195
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
EVs are coming, they are coming faster than you think, enjoy your current ICE rides to the fullest, who knows your next car might not be an ICE vehicle!
I know for sure that my next car will be an EV . My Nexon is to stay with me for a long time now. Alto on the other hand would get replaced much earlier. And EV sure is the way for city run abouts most definitely.
Reinhard is offline   (5) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks