Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 28th December 2019, 09:34   #226
BHPian

A person from Tata Motors visited me yesterday, gave me a bouquet and a dairy milk. Asked me to call him in case of any issues.

He also informed that the vehicle will be displayed to the public on 2nd Jan! That's sooner than my expectations. Also, first 50 customers will get delivery by end of Jan.
pseudo_coder is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 28th December 2019, 11:22   #227
BHPian

re: Tata builds a Nexon EV. EDIT: Launched at ₹13.99 lakhs

Received this on WhatsApp, a full page ad in TOI. Now this is more like it!

Tata builds a Nexon EV. EDIT: Launched at ₹13.99 lakhs-img20191228wa0001.jpg
SpideyBoy is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 28th December 2019, 14:41   #228
Senior - BHPian

Is it just me or have they switched to smaller rims with a bigger sidewall height to make the ride a bit more comfortable ?
Old 28th December 2019, 23:50   #229
BHPian

What are the 35 connected car features? Which ones are actually useful, and not gimmicks?
Old 30th December 2019, 15:57   #230
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Is it only me or the grille and face now looks like an offspring of the Brezza & WR-V?

And the rear quarter with white roof, black C pillar & roof rails looks remarkably like the i20 Active!
To add to these, the more I see it, the facelift's bonnet with more bulge up-top reminds me of the one on the Mahindra KUV100.
Old 30th December 2019, 21:57   #231
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fury View Post
So far, the Nexon EV looks to be a good proposition, assuming Tata follows their traditional, aggresive strategy in pricing as well. The range of approx. 300 KM is fine in my opinion, since we are far away from having a proper country wide charging infrastructure, and long distance driving on EVs will be close to impossible till then. What this depicts is a push start towards a move that's really difficult to gather steam in a country where even today, continuous electricity supply in our homes is still a hope rather than reality. For an initial proper attempt, I see this as an excellent proposition and there will be takers, atleast in the metro cities.
Yes truly said.
I wish

1. There were charging points in restaurants which have car parking.

2. Also they could use solar panels over their car parking so that when customer has his food, his car too has it.

This might extend range for long drives with a quick fast charge and generate additional income for restaurants. Also it might help reduce the range anxiety.

Government should help such ventures with offers to take their additional solar energy generation into grid.
adityadeva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2019, 23:08   #232
BANNED

If anyone from Tata Motors is reading this thread, then here is my take:

Dear Tata Motors

Every person who knows even 'A' of the 'Auto Industry' today, appreciates the fact that you are working real hard, and they even want to reward you for it. I know people coming from Fortuner to Hexa, XUV to Harrier and some more such moves.

Now see, if this 3.99 meter long thing can really do what all you have mentioned (I hope you remember that Govt. officials have complained of abysmal range of the Tigor EV), and this keeps on going the same way for some time; say 6 months down the line. Please help me become your customer; I want to - even have been also, but always return back with some reason or two. So, give me an EV which can do 0-100 even in 12 seconds, can go 150 kms in city and 250 on highway at 100 kph. If you can do this and this keeps on going; then - you know what, well; this:

Tata builds a Nexon EV. EDIT: Launched at ₹13.99 lakhs-take-my-money.jpg
VKumar is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 30th December 2019, 23:35   #233
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKumar View Post
So, give me an EV which can do 0-100 even in 12 seconds, can go 150 kms in city and 250 on highway at 100 kph. If you can do this and this keeps on going; then - you know what, well; this:
I know that Tata has been claiming 300 km of range based on ARAI test, but the real world range will be around 200-220 km. In city, you will get more than 250 km range (that's how EVs work) and on highway range will be less at higher speeds.
sri_tesla is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th December 2019, 23:36   #234
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKumar View Post
So, give me an EV which can do 0-100 even in 12 seconds, can go 150 kms in city and 250 on highway at 100 kph. If you can do this and this keeps on going; then - you know what, well; this:

Your expectations of an EV car are completely wrong for the technology in use today. Infact its completely the opposite of what they are capable. EV's mileage can be better in cities than on highways because of regenerative brakes so highway mileage can never be double of city mileage.
sandhyab is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st December 2019, 00:52   #235
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandhyab View Post
Your expectations of an EV car are completely wrong for the technology in use today. Infact its completely the opposite of what they are capable. EV's mileage can be better in cities than on highways because of regenerative brakes so highway mileage can never be double of city mileage.
Even with regenerative brakes, the act of applying brakes *reduces* the range, not increases it. Regenerative braking just reduces energy wastage, it can't reverse it.

The highway range can be less than the city range due to difference in speed. High speed causes more air resistance.
Old 31st December 2019, 01:54   #236
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudo_coder View Post
Even with regenerative brakes, the act of applying brakes *reduces* the range, not increases it. Regenerative braking just reduces energy wastage, it can't reverse it.
I think you're misinformed on how regenerative braking works. Here's a link for you to read.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regenerative_brake

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 31st December 2019 at 12:38. Reason: Edited post. Please keep it civil on the forum.
yesyeswe is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2019, 01:59   #237
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudo_coder View Post

The highway range can be less than the city range due to difference in speed. High speed causes more air resistance.
You are talking from reading a single liner from a wikipedia article.

In reality regenerative braking improves range because the kinetic energy of a moving car when stopped is converted and stored in the battery, effectively increasing the range. Ofcourse the effectiveness of regenerative braking varies based on factors like driving conditions and terrain and the efficiency of the technology of regenerative brakes.
sandhyab is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2019, 05:29   #238
BHPian

Quote:
In reality regenerative braking improves range because the kinetic energy of a moving car when stopped is converted and stored in the battery, effectively increasing the range.
I can vouch for this with real numbers. When I go up a local mountain for a weekend lunch, I end up adding 5 miles to the range, after driving some 8 downhill miles. With AC, music, and headwind.
GutsyGibbon is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st December 2019, 07:45   #239
BHPian

Quote:
You are talking from reading a single liner from a wikipedia article.

In reality regenerative braking improves range because the kinetic energy of a moving car when stopped is converted and stored in the battery, effectively increasing the range. Ofcourse the effectiveness of regenerative braking varies based on factors like driving conditions and terrain and the efficiency of the technology of regenerative brakes.
So one person tells me to read the wikipedia page, and other says I have read a single line from it. Can we stick to the technicals please? I know what I am talking about.

Back to the topic:

For simplicity, lets assume a flat road, and car moving at a constant speed, say 60 kmph.

Suppose the car has Kinetic energy of K at this speed. Since the speed is constant, this energy remains same.

So battery energy is being lost in overcoming various losses.

At some point, car applies brake and comes to a halt (assume braking distance to be 0). The Kinetic Energy, K, is now converted to chemical energy in the battery. The conversion has its losses. Let's assume 10%. So battery capacity is increased by 0.9K. Now, the car has to start from 0 speed and attain the speed of 60 kmph again. So it will use the stored energy from battery. The energy required would be K. But battery has gained only 0.9K. So it has to supply 0.1K more. Now motor also has its losses. Again say 10%. So battery has to supply about 1. 11 K energy for the car to again start cruising at its original speed. Out of this, only 0.9K was provided by regenerative braking. So 0.21K energy is lost by the act of applying brakes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GutsyGibbon View Post
I can vouch for this with real numbers. When I go up a local mountain for a weekend lunch, I end up adding 5 miles to the range, after driving some 8 downhill miles. With AC, music, and headwind.
Meed more data. How many miles do you go uphill? My point is, if you go the same distance uphill and downhill, you will end up losing range, not gaining it.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 31st December 2019 at 12:40. Reason: Quoted post edited.
pseudo_coder is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st December 2019, 08:14   #240
BANNED

I feel that it will perform better and give a longer range on highways if driven within limits because the current drawn will remain steady for long time enhancing battery efficiency and also due to coasting coming into picture, whereas in city due to frequent stop/accelerate/idling scenarios it will be less optimal.
Regenerative braking doesn't add to much overall in personal automobiles, in electric trains and such it does. It's simply a non-essential selling point.
zaks is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks