Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 20th January 2020, 21:47   #346
BHPian

re: Tata builds a Nexon EV. EDIT: Launched at ₹13.99 lakhs

One disappointing thing about NexonEV - it doesn't have option of a AC fast charger (7Kw+). Restricting the onboard charger to 3.3KW forces it to have longer charge time.

It is easier to build out fast AC chargers as the cost is way lower. DC Fast chargers cost orders of magnitude more to build out, thus the availability of such stations will be lesser.

In coming years, we will see 7KW-11Kw chargers being most common, as versus the DCFC (which may come up in some places on highways, where they are more appropriate).

A 30KWh battery of Nexon, could've been easily charged in under 5hrs with AC fast charger. Now it will need between 8-10hrs.

I am also curious if Tata will have an option to increase the battery capacity/range as a retrofit at a later day.
hkollar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2020, 09:13   #347
Distinguished - BHPian

Nexon EV First Drive Reviews:

Last edited by ampere : 21st January 2020 at 09:24. Reason: typo fixed
volkman10 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st January 2020, 09:16   #348
BANNED

Reviews are pouring in.

Here is the one from Powerdrift

MotorBeam

Zigwheels

CarDekho

CarAndBike

CarWale

MotorOctane

Last edited by ottocycle : 21st January 2020 at 09:21.
ottocycle is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st January 2020, 09:52   #349
BHPian

Great! Most the reviews are consistent on the following:

1. Fantastic performance
2. Real world range of atleast 200+ Kms
3. Upgraded interior quality
4. Even better dynamics
5. Slightly stiffer ride with better handling
6. Limited Top speed to 120 kmph.

All of the above around 15 Lacs in a compact package make it the most perfect city car IMHO.

Great effort Tata. You just keep getting better and better!
Flash777 is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 21st January 2020, 10:24   #350
BANNED

Nice reviews, the car looks awesome and interior is a place to be. I am not sure why they harp on about missing USB port at the back! Just use the ports at the front, as it is, you shouldn't be using your phone while it's charging.
Guess the highway range is around 250km with driving speeds which doesn't put you to sleep (70 to 80).
DarthVeda is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st January 2020, 10:53   #351
BHPian

I saw a review in which the range was less than 170 km with a mix of city and highway driving. This is disappointing if true. The range is lower on the highway because regenerative braking does not work at constant speeds.
Old 21st January 2020, 13:11   #352
BHPian

Came across Autocar's preview on the Nexon EV (Ref: https://www.autocarindia.com/car-rev...t-drive-415633)

A few points that stood out to my mind:
  1. No ESP or traction control - important given EV torque characteristics
  2. Regen-braking level, not driver-adjustable (I believe the Hexa has this)
  3. Hill Start lets the car roll back by a foot or so before kicking in!!
  4. In sports mode, take your foot off the accel & there's a second or so of lag before it stops accelerating!!

Honestly, such misses/omissions are disappointing, especially given the verve with which Tata is re-inventing themselves, with a slew of exciting product launches. I just wish they'd roll out fully baked products instead of "advanced beta" versions.

The last 2 issues could be addressed via software, but ideally should not be present in the first place. Also shakes consumer confidence - makes you wonder, what other little gremlins could be lurking under the hood?

I also worry about water damage to the battery. The Nexon comes with an IP67 battery pack (same as Kona). i.e. the battery is built to survive 1-meter water immersion for 30 mins. Immersion generally means still/non-moving; Moving water (e.g. a car wading through floods) generates flows that can penetrate an IP67 pack. Given Mumbai rains and floods, I wish a liquid IP rating of 9 (i.e. overall rating of IP69) was available in Indian EVs, at least as a paid option.

Ref scale for IP ratings: https://www.ubergizmo.com/what-is/ip-rating-dust-water/

Last edited by navin : 21st January 2020 at 13:52. Reason: max 2 smilieys per post
gautam109 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2020, 13:22   #353
BHPian

This car looks nice. Finally a tata vehicle that breaks the 10 second barrier . Though the 0-60 of 4.6 is more impressive and useful. The roll on times will also be great (as with all EVs). I really hope people test drive this car, because it will change their outlook towards EVs.

My one early grouse though is :-
Manufacturers have to give regeneration level selection. I think both MG and Hyundai have got that spot on. Going on a highway with "any" regen makes no sense, same as traveling in city with low regen.

Real world range of car can be extended by atleast 5% just by giving it adjustable regeneration. It depends on how much you are slowing down the speed of the motor that controls the regen levels, and should be possible using software updates. I really wish they do it.
mohanphadnis is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st January 2020, 14:58   #354
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohanphadnis View Post
I guess you are asking about the 200kms real range part. It is a guesstimate based on the other EV powered by a PMSM and having a thermally managed battery pack in the market. Kona claims 451 and gives about 300 when driven without any limitations.

So taking the same percentages a real world range of ~ 200kms is being guessed by most folks.
The reviews are out and atleast one of them checked the range and they drove it till battery drained and they got around 165km. But, they drove it hard, on highways, AC on. They reckon in city it can do 200km.

I'd say I am disappointed.

Old 21st January 2020, 15:09   #355
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkollar View Post
The reviews are out and atleast one of them checked the range and they drove it till battery drained and they got around 165km. But, they drove it hard, on highways, AC on. They reckon in city it can do 200km.

I'd say I am disappointed.
I was also hoping for 250km range but that was wishful thinking. 175km is what we should realistically expect and as a prospective customer, I find it inadequate. I guess, just like there is no replacement for displacement, there is no replacement for KWh. Battery size matters. Don’t think cars with 30kwh batteries can do much more than this; only those with 40kwh batteries will do a genuine 250-300km between charge.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 21st January 2020 at 15:10.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 21st January 2020, 17:04   #356
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nissan1180 View Post
I saw a review in which the range was less than 170 km with a mix of city and highway driving. This is disappointing if true. The range is lower on the highway because regenerative braking does not work at constant speeds.
As TBHP mod crazy driver put it, lot depends on driving style, testing mileage while doing your car review is unrealistic and won't give the right picture. Extended breaks for shooting, hard driving etc, means you don't get the real picture. Also multiple reviews have said the range would be between 240 to 260. So, I would wait before jumping to any harsh conclusions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gautam109 View Post
Came across Autocar's preview on the Nexon EV (Ref: https://www.autocarindia.com/car-rev...t-drive-415633)
I also worry about water damage to the battery. The Nexon comes with an IP67 battery pack (same as Kona). i.e. the battery is built to survive 1-meter water immersion for 30 mins. Immersion generally means still/non-moving; Moving water (e.g. a car wading through floods) generates flows that can penetrate an IP67 pack. Given Mumbai rains and floods, I wish a liquid IP rating of 9 (i.e. overall rating of IP69) was available in Indian EVs, at least as a paid option.

Ref scale for IP ratings: https://www.ubergizmo.com/what-is/ip-rating-dust-water/
For achieving higher IP rating you need to redesign the battery enclosure, the material thickness, sealing mechanism etc, and with the limited space available it is highly impracticle and realistically not possible to offer separate battery designs. Nexon is certified for 1 m water wading depth.
Raghuwire is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st January 2020, 17:48   #357
BHPian

Wow!! The cynicism on this forum especially towards Tata cars is unbelievable!

One of the reviews which did the range test clearly mentioned it's the worst case scenario test where they were driving hard and they aren't even ideal conditions. And they still managed to get 175-180 Kms which is great for a compact City SUV.

In ideal conditions, one could easily expect 220-250 Kms.

And for those who are 'Disappointed' with the range need to understand that Tata Nexon is primarily aimed at Urban commuters where drives are mostly within the city. And would like to understand how many City runs would go beyond 200 Kms in a single day and how frequently.

And If you are looking for Highway runs and touring, atleast compact EVs wouldn't work out as even 300 Kms would be grossly inadequate.

Let's be pragmatic enough to understand the limitations of Compact EVs and the fact that they would be putting out a 220-250 Kms range is pretty decent enough for the price point and Urban purposes.
Flash777 is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 21st January 2020, 18:25   #358
Senior - BHPian

With all the reviews in, I can confidently say Nexon EV will achieve a respectable range of 250KMs without any problem.
One need to understand that EV's cannot be driven like ICE cars.
Once needs to drive at constant speeds with anticipated braking.
Regen adds significant amount of braking akin to engine braking, so with anticipated braking, the range can only increase.
I travel a lot between Bangalore and Mysore and this will be my typical use case.
Bangalore-Mysore highway is not unlike an expressway, this highway passes through towns every 20Kms right from Bangalore to Mysore and not to mention the speed breakers. This provides for a lot of anticipated braking which will increase the range.

If you look at the acceleration videos, it is clear that once at speeds of over 80KMPH, the battery usage is minimal which is similar to an ICE engine turning over at lower RPMs.
Check this screenshot at 120KMPH, the power band is till in Eco.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata builds a Nexon EV. EDIT: Launched at ₹13.99 lakhs-capture.png  

speedmiester is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 21st January 2020, 18:34   #359
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash777 View Post
And would like to understand how many City runs would go beyond 200 Kms in a single day and how frequently.
+1.

My running is average, and I do about 200-250 a week. With the range that the Nexon EV offers, I could do at least 3 days without a recharge. And unlike ICE cars, an EV would mostly be recharged at home - it's not like they'll have to wait a charging station while the recharge happens.

The comments about the range are all based on the reviews that have been put up. Neither the range nor the handling can be understood unless one has used the car sufficiently long to know how best to optimise the available charge and how best to drive it.

While a manufacturer will try to show a fairly optimistic range, and the reviewers from the media drive are based on a short time with the car, the best review remains from one's own usage - or at least real-world feedback - which we have neither of, at this time.
condor is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 21st January 2020, 19:12   #360
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash777 View Post
Wow!! The cynicism on this forum especially towards Tata cars is unbelievable!

And for those who are 'Disappointed' with the range need to understand that Tata Nexon is primarily aimed at Urban commuters where drives are mostly within the city. And would like to understand how many City runs would go beyond 200 Kms in a single day and how frequently.
1. It is no cynicism if you have had a prior experience of owning and being disappointed with them. It becomes realism. I bought the Petrol Indica and went thru grief.

It was a long while back, which is why I felt Tata Motors may have improved, and was confident enough to book a NexonEV. I am hoping things would be better now, though I do expect some teething problems as they are new to EV space and they have the reputation of experimenting & improving their cars by using early customers as guinea pigs.

2. I was disappointed with the range, because I already own a urban EV - E2O for past 5yrs, and I intend to keep it, as it is a dream urban vehicle, capable of going even in narrowest of streets.

I was hoping to replace one of my long range vehicles with Nexon, which is the reason for disappointment. For me long drive means - being able to travel about 220-250km in one go, have a facility to recharge to 80% within an hour and continue the journey for another 180-200km (i.e. about 400km in a day).

Such a range may be difficult in Nexon. It may still serve as a good urban vehicle, but there may be other more suitable (smaller) options with 100-150km range for that purpose at cheaper price.

In cities, small is beautiful. Nexon isn't exactly small. It is an ideal highway vehicle.
hkollar is offline   (4) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks