Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 28th January 2020, 20:25   #466
Senior - BHPian

re: Tata builds a Nexon EV. EDIT: Launched at ₹13.99 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by padmrajravi View Post
Anyone who can stretch till ZS will surely go for Kona because of the brand image and trust.
The numbers suggest otherwise. In the electric space, everyone is judged as a new player. They all come with a clean slate.
coolkurt is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 28th January 2020, 20:32   #467
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
Excellent pricing. The ZS EV will take a hit as far as numbers are concerned. But it'll still get attention due to the connected car tech, the panoramic sunroof and the additional space it offers. What Nexon's pricing has done is blow the Kona off completely and make it a 2 EV party. It really doesn't have anything to offer as compared to the the MG and Tata offerings.
Yes you are correct, but my prediction for two cars would be two trusted brands. Brands which India can trust if they want to invest in a new and unseen territory ( EV arena). I am sorry, MG does not fare well in trust department and hence it will be only Nexon. Kona and MG will be just catching up..

Quote:
The numbers suggest otherwise. In the electric space, everyone is judged as a new player. They all come with a clean slate.
Which numbers you are suggesting ? Remember we are not talking Tesla's here. Indian buyer is not so naive that they don't understand the brands and brand ideologies. Especially, in EV market I think buyer's awareness level would be more than traditional sphere.

Last edited by Roadster17 : 28th January 2020 at 20:38. Reason: Added multiple quote
Roadster17 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th January 2020, 20:33   #468
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The X factor on the ZS is that full sized panoramic sunroof. This one single feature makes the sale when one goes to the showroom with wife and kids. Had Tata provided a panoramic sunroof option on the Nexon, it would have pulled the rug under MG’s feet with everything else being what it is.

As good as the Kona is, there remain some genuine concerns: it’s ride quality, ground clearance and rear space. Nexon has no such issues. It is good at everything and bad at nothing. The base product is successful, established and is as proven as it gets.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 28th January 2020 at 20:36.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 28th January 2020, 20:36   #469
BHPian

Re: Tata Nexon EV launched at 13.99L

[quote=psbali;4740263]The TBHP article states that 312 Kms range is ARAI certified. May I ask where does it say internal testing? I am interested in this car and I would like to know in case I missed something.

I might be wrong here, but the spec sheet provided in previous page shows 300+ kms (internal testing), I inferred the same based on this fact. Do correct me if I'm wrong here.
Old 28th January 2020, 20:37   #470
BHPian

Quick question - Though not directly related to the Tata Nexon EV but in general to any EV purchase.

I see that subsidies for EVs vary by states e.g. Karnataka waives Road Tax for EV, while Delhi offers an additional 1-1.5L subsidy. Given this variation, would it make sense to buy an EV in Delhi and then get it re-registered in Karnataka? Now typically in case of an ICE vehicle this does not make sense since you would need to pay road tax in Karnataka (and while you can officially get a refund of the original road tax paid, it almost never happens). For EV, in both states, the road tax is waived. So not a blocker in that sense. Am i missing something here?

sachinayak is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 28th January 2020, 20:40   #471
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
The X factor on the ZS is that full sized panoramic sunroof.
On paper, the ZS has more range, more space, more features. The 'bling' factor will work. The Hector has done well under that formula and the same will get the numbers for MG. It remains to be seen how much of a hit their numbers take after the Nexon pricing.
coolkurt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2020, 20:54   #472
BHPian

Hope Tata Nexon EV becomes the car it deserves to become. Now it all upto TATA ASS to make this a run away success.

312 KM as a range can be taken with a pinch of salt, but even if Nexon makes 280 KM range it will be good enough for 80% of the customer.
Tata needs to get its ASS in order cause (people will flock once the initial inhibition goes away)
I think Nexon will be a game changer in the EV segment like the Indica was.
Best Of Luck Tata, time for other manufacturer to give a befitting reply to Tata Nexon.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 30th January 2020 at 09:26. Reason: Merged back to back posts.
fast_n_curious is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th January 2020, 21:07   #473
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerryaj View Post
I might be wrong here, but the spec sheet provided in previous page shows 300+ kms (internal testing), I inferred the same based on this fact. Do correct me if I'm wrong here.
I also have the same question. Does anybody know if this internal testing they are referring to is the same as the exaggerated ARAI range claim?
Old 28th January 2020, 21:24   #474
BHPian

Re: Tata Nexon vs MG ZS vs Hyundai Kona: EV specs comparo

I think Tata should have priced the top variant a little bit sensibly. 17L ex-showroom price is dangerously falling in the area of Harrier and other capable SUV's. 13-15 would have been a sweet spot.

My dad was really impressed with Harrier, but he said and I quote " I am not comfortable paying 18L on a Tata". Imagine the same for EV's made by Tata.
ramnaresh_2000 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2020, 21:29   #475
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
On paper, the ZS has more range, more space, more features. The 'bling' factor will work. The Hector has done well under that formula and the same will get the numbers for MG. It remains to be seen how much of a hit their numbers take after the Nexon pricing.
This is where it gets interesting.

ZS’s certified range is higher than the Nexon’s certified range but only by 10%. 340km vs 310km. Space is debatable as the Tata is damn spacious in its own right and provides better under thigh support at the back, going by the reviews. The performance is better, but again only by 10% or so going by the 0-100 times. Both cars offer connected tech, that is no longer exclusive to MG now. So yes, the main differentiator is the bling factor - the few extra features and that big sunroof. That, and the fact the the ZS is physically bigger at 4.2m (10% more) and looks like something which belongs to a segment higher. Whether customers are willing to pay 40% extra over the top end Nexon for 10% more car + a few features remains to be seen.

This is without consideration the trust factor, MG vs Tata, and the long factory warranty on the Nexon. Also not considering the fact that the base Nexon is a 100% proven product with solid underpinnings that survive real world Indian conditions.

Things could have been different had
- MG priced the ZS at par with the diesel Hector, or
- at the given price, had the battery been as efficient as the Kona’s with a genuine 300km range

Tata seems to have thrown a real spanner into MG’s calculations with the Nexon EV’s pricing. I don’t see enough differentiation to command that much extra premium.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 28th January 2020 at 21:34.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 28th January 2020, 21:36   #476
BHPian

Prebooked and very excited after the price. Although no news on subsidies or incentives in Telangana... That's the only thing stopping me for confirming the purchase. Not sure if I should wait for the government to announce something because by then the introductory price will be gone!

Last edited by classic86 : 28th January 2020 at 21:36. Reason: Removed smiley
classic86 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th January 2020, 22:48   #477
BHPian

Re: Tata Nexon vs MG ZS vs Hyundai Kona: EV specs comparo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramnaresh_2000 View Post
I think Tata should have priced the top variant a little bit sensibly. 17L ex-showroom price is dangerously falling in the area of Harrier and other capable SUV's. 13-15 would have been a sweet spot.

My dad was really impressed with Harrier, but he said and I quote " I am not comfortable paying 18L on a Tata". Imagine the same for EV's made by Tata.
You may perhaps be one of the very few people who thinks the Nexon EV is overpriced (and you are perfect entitled to do so). Just a minor correction, the top-end is not 17L but 16L. Further in most states, road tax is waived off on EV and some also offer subsidies and tax-benefits on interest paid on any loan. The overall on-road price difference just swells.

Further you get all the bells-and-whistles in the top-end Nexon EV like Sun Roof and notable, this is an Auto-Transmission. Now factor that in with a top-end version of the Harrier and you will see the on-road price difference more than what meets the eye in the first glance.

And yeah, the nearest competition is 6-7L away.
sachinayak is online now   (24) Thanks
Old 28th January 2020, 23:01   #478
BHPian

Anyone interested in going for the subscription plan can visit the link below and register their interest

Tata builds a Nexon EV. EDIT: Launched at ₹13.99 lakhs-ev.jpg

As per the dealer, Tata has a tie-up with Orix (Subscription/leasing)

http://evsubscription.tatamotors.com/

Last edited by Zappex : 28th January 2020 at 23:15. Reason: Added link
Zappex is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 28th January 2020, 23:23   #479
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakc View Post
I also have the same question. Does anybody know if this internal testing they are referring to is the same as the exaggerated ARAI range claim?
As per most of the reviews, the realistic range for Nexon EV is around 200 - 230 Kms. In one of the reviews, they manged to get around 180 Kms after pushing the car really hard and didn't try to prolong the range by any means.

You will easily get 230 Kms if it is driven in the city. Check out the reviews for Nexon EV in Youtube.

Last edited by prasathlr : 28th January 2020 at 23:24. Reason: Correction
prasathlr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2020, 23:37   #480
Team-BHP Support

Not just for Nexon but this applies to the MG ZS EV as well.

Like any battery, it degrades over time so even though Tata says 312 kms range and practically it will give 200-230kms, in reality this will go down over time. After 3-5 years you might end up with 150kms range.

This is a big factor to keep in mind with EV batteries. More applicable for these unknown makes like Tata and MG.

Tesla invested billions into ensuring their batteries don't degrade as much over time.

We don't know about Tata and MG at all.

Even though Tata is saying 8years and 1.6 lakh kms warranty on battery and motor what is important is the battery % degradation in the warranty terms and conditions.

There is no point in Tata saying 8 years and 1.6L kms warranty when your car can only do 80-100kms after 5 years and Tata denies battery warranty cause their condition to change battery pack is only when battery degradation is 75% (just an example). Which means you can do 75kms on full charge only.

The question to Tata is what is the criteria for battery degradation to honour the warranty. Will they change the battery pack under warranty if the charge % it can hold is only 75% after 3 years?

More than anything this is the biggest reason I am skeptical on EV's.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 28th January 2020 at 23:39.
Vid6639 is offline   (17) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks