Team-BHP > Electric Cars

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 28th January 2020, 23:40   #481
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Re: Tata Nexon vs MG ZS vs Hyundai Kona: EV specs comparo

The pricing of Nexon EV is really good for what it offers. And it has added advantage of being based on an already proven product. It has everything good going for it. I wish the Tata best for EVs success. This will also encourage more manufacturers to do similar strategy for their outgoing models which in turn will benefit customers from pricing and charging infrastructure point of view.
Old 28th January 2020, 23:47   #482
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Nexon EV launched at 13.99L

Excellent pricing! I am very pleasantly surprised. I hope Nexon EV sees super success.

Tata didn't have much luck with ICE cars. They should, therefore, turn to EVs in a big way. Their luck should turn the tide now. The world over, EVs are the great equalizers. Brands like Tesla are giving traditional ICE car makers sleepless nights. Successful ICE car makers are not able to switch to EVs big time. This is what a brand like Tata should capitalize on.

Coming to Nexon EV, it is a lot of car at this price, full 10 L less than Kona which is almost i20 sized and has lesser GC. Nexon has a big GC to start with, 209 mm, and hence, even after 4 mm battery intrusion, Nexon still has very usable 205 mm GC, the highest among the three EVs.
pgsagar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th January 2020, 23:49   #483
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chittybang View Post
I have a few querries, pardon me if they seem silly.
What is the procedure for someone living in a housing society to get a charging point for themselves? Just curious, How do we ensure its not misused as a power point by someone else?
This will totally depend on the society and the types of chargers they are planning to put. You can have a direct line for each parking spot connected to your mainline meter. This can be a normal or a fast charging facility. You can enclose the plug board in a box and lock it.

Alternatively, the society can have a common one with a smart card system which will have to be swiped in before you start using one. This should be a fast one to avoid long queues and make it usable. This is based on the assumption that such a smart card based metering is available in India currently as an option
sunilch is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th January 2020, 00:21   #484
BHPian

Do we have a state wise breakdown of how much tax incentive each state is giving for EV's?
Old 29th January 2020, 02:22   #485
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Not just for Nexon but this applies to the MG ZS EV as well.

Like any battery, it degrades over time so even though Tata says 312 kms range and practically it will give 200-230kms, in reality this will go down over time. After 3-5 years you might end up with 150kms range.

This is a big factor to keep in mind with EV batteries. More applicable for these unknown makes like Tata and MG.

Tesla invested billions into ensuring their batteries don't degrade as much over time.

We don't know about Tata and MG at all.

Even though Tata is saying 8years and 1.6 lakh kms warranty on battery and motor what is important is the battery % degradation in the warranty terms and conditions.

There is no point in Tata saying 8 years and 1.6L kms warranty when your car can only do 80-100kms after 5 years and Tata denies battery warranty cause their condition to change battery pack is only when battery degradation is 75% (just an example). Which means you can do 75kms on full charge only.

The question to Tata is what is the criteria for battery degradation to honour the warranty. Will they change the battery pack under warranty if the charge % it can hold is only 75% after 3 years?

More than anything this is the biggest reason I am skeptical on EV's.
I’ll intentionally not cut short your valid points here Vid.

Perhaps, these points / observations / questions should be raised by every customer in order to have clarity before purchasing an EV - be it, 2 / 4 wheeler.

I suggest these points should be pinned on the forum as checklist before buying an EV that’ll help a lot of noobs like me in EV segment.

I never thought about all this honestly. Because as a customer, I’d only look at below;

1) Range
2) Warranty
3) Cost incurred to maintain / recharge batteries

But you raised a point that was present as a caveat - Battery Degradation & Manufacturers honouring it!
gururajrv is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 29th January 2020, 03:46   #486
Senior - BHPian

Such is the impact of Tesla. Within a space of a few months, 3 EVs are launched in India. And none of them look like half baked science experiments. This is truly a great start to the EV revolution in India.

The technology is ready. Government policies and charging infrastructure is the next critical step. I'd happily drive Bangalore - Chennai in these EVs (assuming real world range is 70% ARAI range) if I'm guaranteed working fast charger network along the highway.
Old 29th January 2020, 03:50   #487
BHPian

I think Nexon is the most balanced vehicle in all aspects among the three . It is most normal looking ..in a good sense as it has same front grill and alloy wheel design like normal cars. Don't know why most of electric vehicles have weird alloys and front grills .
Sandeep500 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th January 2020, 06:46   #488
BHPian

Product on product, nexon wins this spec battle. Perfectly balanced and priced. MG is more premium overall but 7 lakhs more than the nexon EV and is maybe more uncertain on quality. Kona is too small and looks like i20. Has the higher range working for it and is probably the only proven electric product. I will count on Tata to build a product that will work better in the Indian conditions. Am delighted how quickly Kona is losing relevance esp for the money it is asking for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramnaresh_2000 View Post

My dad was really impressed with Harrier, but he said and I quote " I am not comfortable paying 18L on a Tata". Imagine the same for EV's made by Tata.
Paying 18lakhs for any car from non-indian manufacturer doesn't seem sensible to me in today's market. Take a look around and see what others offer for 18L. Top variants of Creta, City etc etc. Only the new comers Kia and MG have set the prices right - maybe taking losses - as a new player should. Tata cars are 4-5 lakhs cheaper than similar products and quality + service is improving. Harrier blows Creta out of the water in every single way. I believe xuv300 and nexon are superior to Venue in most areas and lag only in the interior plastics. Margins on venue and creta type products are insane.

Nexon EV is brilliantly made, specced, and priced. Godspeed to Indian makers to have maintained some.sanity in the market.

PS: I have hexa 4x4 that I picked up 4 months back. Had an XUV for 95k and a Manza for 1.25l KMS. Tata and Mahindra rock. All others are just messing up Indian buyers.

Last edited by 5kmiles : 29th January 2020 at 07:07.
5kmiles is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 29th January 2020, 07:02   #489
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
Tata didn't have much luck with ICE cars. They should, therefore, turn to EVs in a big way. Their luck should turn the tide now. The world over, EVs are the great equalizers. Brands like Tesla are giving traditional ICE car makers sleepless nights. Successful ICE car makers are not able to switch to EVs big time. This is what a brand like Tata should capitalize on.
This exactly is my thought as well. Its the successful mass manufacturers that fear the EVs. This is an opportunity for companies like TATA who were marginalized and had to depend no Fiat engines etc. They don't have much to lose in the ICE segment and a lot to gain in the EVs. Very good strategy indeed.

On a different note, they should've mentioned the validity of introductory pricing. I'm from Kerala which is one of the states with least incentives. I need to wait and see if our policy makers will match incentives to the national average before I throw the lever.

Last edited by sreeharipv : 29th January 2020 at 07:03. Reason: grammar error
sreeharipv is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th January 2020, 08:37   #490
BHPian

re: Tata builds a Nexon EV. EDIT: Launched at ₹13.99 lakhs

My own rough estimating cars true range is by multiplying battery capacity with 7 or 10 for minimum and maximum range.

For two wheelers, multiplier is 20 and 25 (times the battery capacity)

For ex. Ather 450, 2.7KWh battery with 20 or 25 will give you 54Km or 67 Kms (nearer to 70).
One of my friend even confirmed this number with his ather.
Bajaj may claim 95Km peak range for chethak but my number would be around 3KWhrX25 around 75KM.

Regarding Nexon, I say 30KWhr* 7 is around 210Kms or 200Kms and peak of 300Km (30KWhr X10).

I expect Nexon to cross 200Km barrier per charge.

Getting back to Nexon, Great attempt by Tata. I am sure good number of cars will be bought in Bangalore, by CEOs of software companies, (200Kms is psychological pass number for Bangalore), BESCOM, KPTCL, Secretaries in Vidhanasoudha etc, all these people travel only in Bangalore, from home to Office and one office to another. 200Kms range or 100+ Kms with AC fully turned on in Bangalore traffic and the fact that charging facility will be available in government offices..Means more NEXON EV in Bangalore.

For each Nexon EV sold, one less car visiting petrol bunk.
For each EV sold in India, $$ saved by not paying middle eastern countries for oil.
pogo0120 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 29th January 2020, 09:09   #491
BHPian

Re: Tata builds a Nexon EV. EDIT: Launched at ₹13.99 lakhs

Worth watching this video regarding electric vehicle range given in real life testing.

pogo0120 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 29th January 2020, 09:19   #492
BHPian

Great pricing from Tata.

I agree to many here about the negative comments on range, battery degrading over time, initial niggles etc.
But considering the fact that Tata, being a prominent Indian brand , coming up with a full electric car (Proper car unlike Reva/E2O) is a step in right direction.
And for the tech and features offered, the price is definitely VFM

It's really great to see Tata and Mahindra is giving more importance to Safety and future tech (EV)
Asish_VK is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2020, 10:06   #493
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Like any battery, it degrades over time so even though Tata says 312 kms range and practically it will give 200-230kms, in reality this will go down over time. After 3-5 years you might end up with 150kms range
Very valid point, Vid. Battery degradation is a very important aspect and there should be a pertinent clause in the warranty agreement for sure. I would be surprised if Tata does not provision for it.

That said, do note that long term "health" of the battery depends to a very large extent on usage pattern of, and maintenance by, the owner. Complying with manufacturer's recommended charge cycles is very very important to ensure battery longevity. I own a 2016 e2o and have been following charging instructions as mentioned in the owner's manual to a "T" - result: almost 4 years into its life, my battery pack still gives me the promised range of 120 km on every single recharge. ICE or EV, any car needs proper maintenance to ensure flawless performance and longevity - just that the nature of it varies by car type.

I guess it is all about mindset shift - ICE and EVs are apples and oranges! If one goes for an EV, it should be with a positive mindset, accepting all the nuances that come with it

Last edited by cool_dube : 29th January 2020 at 10:20.
cool_dube is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 29th January 2020, 10:21   #494
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
That said, do note that long term "health" of the battery depends to a very large extent on usage pattern of, and maintenance by, the owner. Complying with manufacturer's recommended charge cycles is very very important to ensure battery longevity. I own a 2016 e2o and have been following charging instructions as mentioned in the owner's manual to a "T" - result: almost 4 years into its life, my battery pack still gives me the promised range of 120 km on every single recharge. ICE or EV, any car needs proper maintenance to ensure flawless performance and longevity - just that the nature of it varies by car type.
I have an E2O for 5yrs now. I never followed any discipline in charging (i.e. I just plugged in almost everyday, even if the battery was 90% full... My running is not very high, the car has run only 25,000km in 5 years.

But, I get full range even today. My home-office-home run used to take 20% of battery when it was new, it still takes the same.

I know personally of this Fleet company, which has E2O with over 200,000km on ODO, without any range issues.

Any good battery management system will take care of the battery balancing & wear leveling between cells in such a way that no one battery gets overcharged or over stressed. It doesn't have to be managed by the driver.

Most Lithium-Ion cells retain 100% capacity for upto 2,000 recharge cycles (i.e. 5.4years, if you charge it fully everyday). But, we rarely charge-discharge it fully. And the BMS would intelligently manage the charging to lengthen the life.

After 2000 cycles you may start seeing reduction in capcity, but it will continue to work. They will only recommend discontinuing battery if it goes below 80% of capacity, even after which it can still be used in other applications.

In fact, many experts say that Lithium-ion batteries can give 15 yrs of service if you are not charging-discharging fully each day. Assuming an average of 20-30% utilisation every day, the 2,000 recharge cycles can easily stretch your battery to 12-15years.
hkollar is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 29th January 2020, 10:21   #495
Senior - BHPian

Nexon EV ad. It reminded me of old safari petrol roller coaster ad

Latheesh is online now   (12) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed