Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 29th January 2020, 15:35   #526
BHPian

Re: Tata builds a Nexon EV. EDIT: Launched at ₹13.99 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazda4life View Post
what is really puzzling is that, why hasn't Mahindra which invested in Reva made a foray into mainstream EV space?, by this time, with the knowledge that they would have from the Reva acquisition , XUV 300(EV) should have been launched and as per press reports, its targeted for Q1 of FY2022.
One reason could be TATA group two of its divisions working for this - TATA CHEMICALS builds the Li battery and TATA power has the capacity to install chargers at scale. So REVA to KUV100 EV with 120km range is what Mahindra could do and Nexon to Nexon EV with all three Tata divisions combined is what Tata could pull off, may be ??

Dev
irdevanand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2020, 16:10   #527
Senior - BHPian

I think the price is good to start with. Top end Nexon Diesel costs upwards of 12 lakh on road, so its not a big leap in terms of pricing. Tata has made a statement with this price: Good Electric vehicles might just be within reach for a certain category of buyers. It all boils down to how good the product is.

Considering the Nexon turns out to be an excellent product, imagine if Nexon EV is costs 14 lakhs, how much will a Tiago EV cost ? anything less than 8 lakh and many affluent people from cities are going to buy it for their city runs as a second car.
Old 29th January 2020, 16:11   #528
BHPian

Like many on this forum I am very pleasantly surprised to see the Nexon EV pricing. Well done Tata to take full advantage of being an early entrant to this market.

I am in the minority here as far as car requirements go. I have driven my Vento TSI 1,08,000 KMs in 3.5 years. Most of my driving involves Chennai to Ranipet (on the Chennai Bangalore highway) which is 120 KMs which takes between 2.5 to 3 hours depending on the time of the day. I believe this will allow for a lot of regenerative braking because of the amount of traffic. I do this trip to and fro on the same day twice or three times a week. I very rarely cross 100 KMPH.

In Ranipet, luckily my workplace allows for a fast charging installation to prevent range anxiety on my return trip.

So, even though I drive on a mixture of highway and city, the Nexon would serve my purpose. The TSI costs about Rs. 5.70 per KM and the Nexon should cost about Rs. 1.7 per KM.

If my calculations are correct, I can save money and go green without range anxiety. Also to the cherry on the top is that the two cars seem to have very comparable acceleration which is really one of my primary criteria. Nexon also seems to be safer than the Vento. Currently the Nexon fits the bill. I'm waiting for the Team-BHP review before making my move.
Chrome6Boy is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 29th January 2020, 16:26   #529
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
Seen in isolation and in comparison to other EV's around Nexon EV may be VFM, but you dial in other products that can be had for the same money, then it doesn't appear VFM.
I would humbly beg to differ on this. From an urban buyer's perspective, I think that this sort of a vehicle for this price point is an incredible proposition.

We were recently in the market for a C-SUV/SUV/Sedan with a not-so-strict budget of about INR 18L and we ended up testing almost all the available options, ranging from the Venue and Nexon to the Harrier and Hector before settling with the Kia Seltos Petrol, at nearly this price point.

I strongly think that had the Nexon EV been launched six months back, the outcome would have been very different, indeed. I agree that the Seltos and Nexon are not exactly direct rivals per se but I think that should not be a major deterrent for buyers because the Nexon is a great product in its own right - comfortable interiors, good build, feature-rich and with a proven safety record.

Given that our running is not all that much (on an average about 40 km a day), an EV of this sort would have made perfect financial and practical sense for us - even as the primary car for the family. The tax SOPs and the fact that this would not be affected by the Odd-Even rules in Delhi, only go on to sweeten the deal even further.

Kudos Tata, another fantastic, well-engineered product. Eagerly waiting for the TBHP official verdict on this one.
Batfreak is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 29th January 2020, 16:54   #530
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batfreak View Post
I would humbly beg to differ on this.
I think though you begged to differ, you've done the same thing I said, in isolation where there are no other options, I'd go for an EV (Tata or some other brand) but not when there's no embargo on ICE cars. Even I cross shopped from hatchbacks to sedans when I zeroed in on the City, but would never have considered an EV given the infrastructure is almost non existent. If I had say 5 litres in the tank, I'd say okay lets fill it on the go, but not with an EV. Suppose you have a medical emergency at home and EV has run out of juice and is on charger, what would you do? It's basically the novelty factor that's attracting people like fireflies. It's highly impractical given our infrastructure. I'll never trust Tata with their first public offering EV for sure.
Durango Dude is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th January 2020, 17:41   #531
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Suppose you have a medical emergency at home and EV has run out of juice and is on charger, what would you do? It's basically the novelty factor that's attracting people like fireflies. It's highly impractical given our infrastructure. I'll never trust Tata with their first public offering EV for sure.
What would you do if you have an ICE powered car with almost no fuel in the tank? What Tata has given is an option to consider when you are in the market for a 12-20 Lakhs Rupee car. That itself is a big range starting from customers looking for top end hatch backs to big SUV/sedan covering everything in between. For charging infrastructure to expand we need some number to begin with and that cannot/will not come if car price is 20L+. Mass movement to EV has to start somewhere and I think Nexon will initiate that.

Disclosure: Not a fanboy but I hold TML shares though (at loss) and I have all the reason to hate them.

Last edited by Latheesh : 29th January 2020 at 17:50. Reason: typo
Latheesh is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 29th January 2020, 18:33   #532
BHPian

Quote:
I think though you begged to differ, you've done the same thing I said, in isolation where there are no other options, I'd go for an EV (Tata or some other brand) but not when there's no embargo on ICE cars. Even I cross shopped from hatchbacks to sedans when I zeroed in on the City, but would never have considered an EV given the infrastructure is almost non existent. If I had say 5 litres in the tank, I'd say okay lets fill it on the go, but not with an EV. Suppose you have a medical emergency at home and EV has run out of juice and is on charger, what would you do? It's basically the novelty factor that's attracting people like fireflies. It's highly impractical given our infrastructure. I'll never trust Tata with their first public offering EV for sure.
After multiple posts from you, it is very clear you have reservations against EV Today. But how can you generalize your opinions as the opinion of everyone. I for one, am looking at Nexon EV as my primary car. Range over 200kms is overrated IMHO, and I would not touch city with a barge pole today, with it's skimpy build quality, lack of safety ratings and impractical GC. But, I don't speak for everyone, right?Please let us not pass off our opinions and requirements as entire market requirements. You are free to bash Tata for niggles in the thread which is available for that. Let us not turn this thread ugly with personal bias. Peace out!!!
Raghuwire is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 29th January 2020, 19:03   #533
BHPian

Quote:
For all you know; even if you give it free, there won't be much takers with charging infrastructure in it's infancy, it may not cut it with the crowd. What's the point in having a car which can't be 'filled/charged' with ease? Thank you, but no thank you for now. Low starting price is a 'discount' Tata is giving for all the 'niggles' for the early adopters?? Considering that money can get you a Honda City!!
Sorry bro Honda city was special 10 years ago. Not now, not in this era and definitely not at its current price. I owned both the 3rd gen city(2009-2015) and 4th gen (2016-till date) and to me this Nexon EV built on a 5star rated car and 250kms range is a great home-office-home car if you can charge at home. This sentence "throwing the discount for niggles" was uncalled for. We lose 1.5 lakh fellow Indians on road accidents every year and the last regulation we had was 1air bag minimum. That's all. We don't have roof strength regulations or ncap based regulations. In US, ten years ago, to sell a car it has to withstand 2.5 times it's weight on its roof today the limit has gone to 4 times. assume we have such rules in india we won't be having tincans weighing 700kg and 800kgs making tons of sales. Only Tata and Mahindra are putting their heart out into building safe cars. Nexon , altroz xuv300 are 5 star rated. Tiago tigor marazzo are 4 star rated. Compare this with baleno which got 3 star in UK model with side airbag. The ones in India without side airbag will score 2 star. GM bailed out, Ford exited. Fiat is just there. Rest are all just dumping old products on us and we are happily buying maruti in lakhs. All this because we are just criticising the guys who are putting their best efforts forward. Wrote about this in recently https://t.co/AV7EDd6yaJ read for more stats.

Dev

Last edited by irdevanand : 29th January 2020 at 19:16.
irdevanand is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 29th January 2020, 19:07   #534
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pogo0120 View Post
For each EV sold in India, $$ saved by not paying middle eastern countries for oil.
Perfect and profound statement. We should etch this statement permanently on history stones and put it before every petrol bunk
dilsoft is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th January 2020, 19:36   #535
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If I had say 5 litres in the tank, I'd say okay lets fill it on the go, but not with an EV. Suppose you have a medical emergency at home and EV has run out of juice and is on charger, what would you do? It's basically the novelty factor that's attracting people like fireflies.
I think this is a very valid point. An EV being the only car in the house is a slightly risky affair. An ICE car takes 5 mins to fill up. It gives me confidence to take it out even when the fuel needle is nearly empty. I know I can make a stop for 5 mins and gain a range of atleast 200 kms. Simply not possible with the EV technology today. EVs for now are not fit for being the only car unless you are in a place with excellent emergency services availability.
padmrajravi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th January 2020, 19:42   #536
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrome6Boy View Post

In Ranipet, luckily my workplace allows for a fast charging installation to prevent range anxiety on my return trip.
This is my only grouse with Tata. If they had provided a 7.6kW onboard charger like kona and ZS, that would have meant charging at the rate of about 60km/hour, then one of the standard 7.2kW CCS type 2 chargers would have sufficed. These cost around Rs.60,000

But as they have restricted the onboard charger to only 3.3kW, one needs to go for full industrial grade DC Rapid charger, which is way more expensive, and difficult to install.
mohanphadnis is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th January 2020, 20:24   #537
BHPian

Sometimes when I look at the apprehensions on this thread - it reminds me of a statement I read somewhere. "Everyone wants you to think outside the box, but as soon as you do it, they beat you back to get back into the box."

I understand critique around a half-baked product launch (e.g. Harrier) or a potentially overpriced offering (e.g. Tigor/Bolt) but why take your apprehensions on EV technology specifically on a Tata Motors product. Most companies (baring dedicated EV players like Tesla) are still only getting their fingers dirty with new technology and in most-cases their products are ridiculously expensive (e.g. Hyundai Kona). When Tata Motors has reduced the price point so low to actually allow the technology adoption to become mainstream, we have apprehensions about a lot of unknowns. Why do we not get informed on the unknowns before bashing them up?

No wonder, Suzuki/Maruti dominates our market even with their tin-can offerings. Anything they do is sacrosanct, while anything that Tata Motors does, needs to be bashed.
Sorry for my off-topic rant.
sachinayak is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 29th January 2020, 20:59   #538
BANNED

Quote:
Suppose you have a medical emergency at home and EV has run out of juice and is on charger, what would you do? It's basically the novelty factor that's attracting people like fireflies. It's highly impractical given our infrastructure. I'll never trust Tata with their first public offering EV for sure.
I am not sure what i should do with this statement, should i laugh or cry at the ignorance. Your apocalyptic scenario can be applied to any vehicle, what if there is a strike by petrol owners, and you have no petrol! what will you do?

I have been using Ather for two months now, and it has become a habit for me to put the vehicle for charge at around 2300 and switch off when i wake up around 0500. I have never run out of juice anytime. And to your non-existent infrastructure, download the app "re-charge India" you will see few popping up. In Bengaluru, we have 11 fast chargers (25kw) from BESCOM spread across city. 2 (50kw) from MG and whatever Tata puts up at their showroom. it's only matter of time before they pop up on highways next to eating joints. In fact, few Kona owners got together and purchased an AC charger and installed on A2B join on Bengaluru-Mangaluru highway. That's how the community is, let's see something like this happen on ICE vehicles
DarthVeda is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 29th January 2020, 21:07   #539
BHPian

Had a chance to peek below the engine cover of test drive vehicle using mobile camera and following are the findings:
- Onboard Charger is made by Valeo - Siemens,
- Power distribution unit by APTIV, Ireland,
- DC-DC converter are from Valeo - Siemens
- Also understand from this thread that Battery pack is from Tata Chemicals having tie up with LG Chem.
So the aggregates are from reputed international brands.
Not sure who manufacturers the drive motor though.
salbin is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 29th January 2020, 21:24   #540
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthVeda View Post
In fact, few Kona owners got together and purchased an AC charger and installed on A2B join on Bengaluru-Mangaluru highway. That's how the community is, let's see something like this happen on ICE vehicles

Interesting! Is this a 7Kw Level2 charger? Any URL?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks