Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 29th January 2020, 21:51   #541
BHPian

Re: Tata builds a Nexon EV. EDIT: Launched at ₹13.99 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkollar View Post
Interesting! Is this a 7Kw Level2 charger? Any URL?
One Kona user bought 7.2 KW level 2 charger from BrightBlue company. He said it costs Rs 22,600 including taxes.
https://www.brightblu.com/

Few images from his twitter feed of the charger:
Charger on the right side of the spare tire is Hyundai portable charger of 2.8 KW capacity.

Tata builds a Nexon EV. EDIT: Launched at ₹13.99 lakhs-bb1.png

Tata builds a Nexon EV. EDIT: Launched at ₹13.99 lakhs-bb2.png
sri_tesla is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 29th January 2020, 21:55   #542
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sri_tesla View Post
One Kona user bought 7.2 KW level 2 charger from BrightBlue company. He said it costs Rs 22,600 including taxes.
Sorry, I was not clear. I was asking about any URL about A2B having a charger.
Old 29th January 2020, 22:23   #543
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
Even I cross shopped from hatchbacks to sedans when I zeroed in on the City, but would never have considered an EV given the infrastructure is almost non existent.

EVs are for people who have the infrastructure to support it and have a backup for their long distance runs. If you need to run a 100m cable everyday to charge EV, be happy with an ICE powered car instead.
I have thought about Nexon EV for my 50-60km daily run and I do not see any reason why it can't support my needs. I can leave the car for charging overnight every day. Even in a worst case scenario, I will have charge left for 100km any time.
I do not think you can generalize the situation or bash TATA for no reason. If it doesn't work for you, don't buy it. Ratan Tata is not going to show up at your door step tomorrow to beg you to by Nexon EV.

Last edited by sj_koova : 29th January 2020 at 22:30. Reason: typo
sj_koova is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 29th January 2020, 23:05   #544
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
The Kona power train is shared with the Kia E-niro and the Ioniq (slightly different).

Yes both were launched in 2018 but both these cars have received all the certifications and met all criteria of EV norms in USA and Europe. The Kona EV is an international car that has won many awards.

We do need to wait for 5 years to see long term but it's safe to say the number of Kona's sold gives more confidence in favour of Hyundai vs Tata and MG.

The carwow Youtube video link above showed the Kia E-niro delivered 91% of advertised range and came in 2nd after the Tesla Model3.

I have more confident on the battery tech and degradation of the Kona vs the MG and Tata as of now. I would love to be proven wrong after 5 years and see Tata/MG have lower degradation than Hyundai.

https://cleantechnica.com/2019/08/22...ery-contracts/

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/hyun...dai-kona-1-6t/
Thanks Vid for throwing up light on it. Much appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
Nexon EV - Tata Chem ( They have some sort of tieup with LG Chem)
Kona - LG Chem
ZS EV - CATL

Thank you coolkurt, you too. I need to read up more on EVs.
pgsagar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2020, 23:14   #545
BHPian

To begin with, cudos to TaMo for taking all the right steps towards an electrifying future( pun intended ). They have done what was expected of any Indian automobile manufacturer and how. Take a bow TaMo for being aggressive both in terms of timing and pricing in launching a business model which would take you places. I am very very confident on the electric powertrain model as it has been a proven technology as far as the international markets are concerned. Also, I differ in opinion from members who think that this business model will take a decade in gaining momentum. IMO this is going to catch up faster than the Corona Virus. Just look at the western countries in developing the infrastructure around the EV culture. This is going to be repeated in our country as well.
I also have another reason why I think the EV culture will pick up. We Indians are very calculative as far as costs of running an automobile are concerned. And if the trend in pricing their EV’s is followed by other manufacturers, on the lines of TaMo, then that would be the second most important point driving the sales. I have a feeling that the range which the initial EV’s are coming up with would suffice the requirement of maximum city dwellers and that should convert into good numbers to start with.
isldhn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th January 2020, 23:39   #546
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkollar View Post
Sorry, I was not clear. I was asking about any URL about A2B having a charger.
here's the tweet stating it: https://twitter.com/TeslaClubIN/stat...54286028783618

I haven't physically gone there and checked yet. However, I do know what Swati Delicacy after Kunigal will allow you to use their 15A plug and Hyundai service center in Hassan has a 7Kwh AC charger.
DarthVeda is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 30th January 2020, 00:27   #547
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthVeda View Post
I am not sure what i should do with this statement, should i laugh or cry at the ignorance. Your apocalyptic scenario can be applied to any vehicle, what if there is a strike by petrol owners, and you have no petrol! what will you do?

2 (50kw) from MG and whatever Tata puts up at their showroom. it's only matter of time before they pop up on highways next to eating joints.
I don't think the scenario is anything to be laughed at. A couple of months back, we had to drop a friend and her daughter in an emergency at a town about 160+km away and return as soon as possible. The low-fuel light in my car was already on when I started. We could fill up in less than 5 minutes and be on our way. The best EV in this situation (almost zero charge) would have delayed the start of my trip by 30 minutes, if not more. This is far from an apocalyptic scenario, but a real possibility with an EV.

Of course, range anxiety would go away when more chargers are installed along highways. It's great for a relaxed trip. When I need to get somewhere in an emergency, I wouldn't want to stop for half an hour every 200km.
StarrySky is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2020, 05:01   #548
Senior - BHPian

Excellent pricing. Hope the car is as good as the specs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
For all you know; even if you give it free, there won't be much takers with charging infrastructure in it's infancy, it may not cut it with the crowd.
Can't put the cart before the horse, can you? I'm sure many people had the same opinion about transitioning from Horse carriages to IC engine cars about 110 years ago. It's not a personal attack, but my views that the technology will evolve.

Charging infrastructure will take time to cover every bit of India, but will expand rapidly. Also, most people who buy this car will be in multi-car households, so they'll have flexibility of choosing cars.

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 30th January 2020 at 05:04.
landcruiser123 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th January 2020, 07:12   #549
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
I don't think the scenario is anything to be laughed at. A couple of months back, we had to drop a friend and her daughter in an emergency at a town about 160+km away and return as soon as possible. The low-fuel light in my car was already on when I started. We could fill up in less than 5 minutes and be on our way. The best EV in this situation (almost zero charge) would have delayed the start of my trip by 30 minutes, if not more. This is far from an apocalyptic scenario, but a real possibility with an EV.

Of course, range anxiety would go away when more chargers are installed along highways. It's great for a relaxed trip. When I need to get somewhere in an emergency, I wouldn't want to stop for half an hour every 200km.
I think many people are looking at the worst case scenario here.

At present this is a great choice as a second car for people who can charge their car overnight at home. Tata has priced it perfectly too.

We'll be doing our country and planet a service by buying this. Renewable energy is growing everyday. I'm personally planning to setup solar panels at home to charge whichever EV I'll buy in the next year and a half.

For emergencies just call a cab or use someone else's car.

Once people realise how much it costs per km it's going to sell like hot cakes and we'll all benefit.
Chrome6Boy is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 30th January 2020, 08:32   #550
BHPian

Re: Scoop! Tata builds a Nexon EV

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelguy View Post
If others err , it's discussed and it's closed. If others err again, it's discussed and closed again. Period.

If Tata errs, it's discussed, it stays open, it is recollected with every new Tata launch. It creeps into every Tata thread. People will recollect Indica at Altroz's launch, few will even say, 'hey look I can see Indica in Altroz's design'!

Haters are going to hate it forever and ever, that's some evergreen hatred, no matter what, it stays.

It's time Tata should march ahead unabashedly.
I honestly don't see the hate here, I think most of the folks here seem very supportive and appreciative here
Old 30th January 2020, 08:35   #551
BHPian

Adding to my earlier post regarding range, mileage per KWhr.

Here is what Tesla has achieved.

Source: https://ww.electrek.co/2020/01/29/te...on-deliveries/

Also, I donot remember the source, but many places I have read in analyst calls, Tesla has achieved $100/KWhr. They started with 450 dollars, hung near 200 dollars for Model S and X, but with model 3 and 2170 with reduction in cobalt use.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata builds a Nexon EV. EDIT: Launched at ₹13.99 lakhs-epa-miles-per-kwhr.jpg  

pogo0120 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th January 2020, 08:52   #552
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post

This is exactly what a person would have told 120 years back when automobile was introduced. In an emergency my horse-cart is ready to take me anywhere, but where will I go searching for fuel?

People miss the point entirely with EVs. I have been living with E2O for 5yrs. Ofcourse it is only the 3rd car at home. But, it is my primary city car. There hasn't been a single case where I felt range anxeity in 5 yrs.

You know why?

Because I always keep it plugged in at rest. At home or at office. When ever I am ready to go, so was the car. But, if I have to go beyond 50km, I never relied on the EV. I either called a taxi or used other cars.

Same will be the case with Nexon EV too, if you think of a case of needing to go beyond 100km and coming back on single charge, and don't have a second alternative - then this isn't a car for you.

But, such cases are very rare, and there is always an alternatives like self-drive cars or taxis for emergency, if EV is the only car.

Neverthless in next 5-10yrs charging infra will be as common as petrol stations (Perhaps even more as it takes way less to setup charging stations than a petrol station).

Till then, skeptics should stay away. Early Adoption of any tech needs nonchalance and as you rightly pointed - relaxed attitude.
hkollar is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 30th January 2020, 10:10   #553
Senior - BHPian

Do we have any numbers here? The number of bookings that the EV has garnered for starters? And the actual date when deliveries will commence?
Old 30th January 2020, 10:37   #554
BANNED

Scene 1: A new Korean car maker enters the Indian market. Asks 21 big ones for a 4.3m 'SUV'.
We the public: Yayy! let's go and plonk our money on it right away!
Friend with some automotive knowledge: Are you sure you want to buy it? You have not even seen it or driven it!
We the public: Bhai, imported hai. Kuch nahi hoga!
Dealership: Sir, please have this fine branded coffee and take a seat. By the way it will take 3-4 months for the car to arrive.
We the public: No problem at all. I am spending 22 big ones, I don't mind losing interest on the booking amount I pay. I'll continue using my tin can until then.

Scene 2: A Chinese car maker decides to make inroads into India. Spends a few bucks on designing new badges for the car.
We the public: Woohoo! We're getting a piece of British engineering in India. Let's queue up at the dealerships.
Friend with some automotive knowledge: As far as I know the British company you are talking about has not developed this SUV. It's just a re-badged car.
We the public: I am not interested. I get to show off that I own a British car.
Dealership: Sir actually the bookings are closed for this year. I can take one for next year.
We the public: Ah that's OK. We are used to booking admission in schools before the baby is born.

Scene 3: An Indian manufacturer with great ethics makes a conscious effort to come back into the Indian market. Launches quite a few models.
We the public: What will my neighbor think if I buy this? How do I tell my father-in-law that I bought a Indian car! Jeez, let me give it a try. Where are my tools?! I need vernier calipers, protractors, feeler gauges, a surface roughness probe, infrared torches and a sound meter. And yes, I need binoculars too - I need to see if I can see the planet Venus through the roof.
Friend with some automotive knowledge: Did you just see the news on Team-BHP? Couple of our domestic car makers have scored 5 stars in a global standard crash test. These cars have come a long way!
We the public: Well, I am an experienced driver with few hundred-thousand miles under my belt and don't exceed 140 km/h even on the expressway. Stars don't matter to me.
Dealership: We have a wide range of models to choose from - please have a look.
We the public: Ah yes! I found a panel gap. Let me take a picture. My sound meter hardly moved when I closed the door. There is no 'thud'. Oh wait! are you kidding me? There is no sunroof? Where do my kids stand then?!
Dealership: Sir we also have EVs that offer a good range backed by good warranty.
We the public: EV? In India? Where is the infrastructure? First build infrastructure and then talk to me! My iPhone's battery health after 2 years has dropped to 85%, I can only imagine how a car's battery will age.

Is it only me or is there anyone else who feels the same?
Kishen.padiyar is offline   (117) Thanks
Old 30th January 2020, 11:16   #555
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishen.padiyar View Post
[
Is it only me or is there anyone else who feels the same?
Couldn't agree with you more. People are so quick dismiss Indian products before even having a test drive.
I understand there have been past issues, which manufacturers in India have not had issues. Right from Maruti to Mercedes have quality and reliability issues. Nexon EV is a honest and a brilliant effort by Tata Motors to propel India on it's EV journey. They will reap their rewards very soon.
speedmiester is online now   (7) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks