Team-BHP > Electric Cars

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 30th January 2020, 22:10   #586
BHPian

Re: Tata builds a Nexon EV. EDIT: Launched at ₹13.99 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandhyab View Post
atleast the Germans have great engines, ride and feel good factor so you make a conscious decision to factor in the problems. Why would someone who has experienced problems with Tata willingly be trustworthy of the brand.

Now Let me share my latest experience, Showed interest for ZS and Nexon EVs. Received calls from both companies who set up a call with the closest dealer. Told them both interested in buying only in April, Tata Salesman hung up the call, simply HUNG Up the call after saying OK. and on the other hand MG salesperson said very good decision, do test the car, and I will call you next in March.

My dear friend I do not fully agree with you .
Let's discuss the "Germans" in detail: I am considering VAG group, Mercedes Benz and BMW as the "German" players.

Benz and BMW well at least in India their cars are beyond reach for majority of people. Maybe there's rise in demand because of few Nouveau riche have been able to afford it in the recent past.

But keeping the price aside let's come to the point,
Merc had misaligned pedals and steering placement which caused fatigue during long drives(major design flaw by someone as experienced by Benz) I don't know if that thing is rectified now. And mind you I have experienced this car personally.

BMWs face is getting uglier day by day. I have been reading that BMW is ready to stoop low enough to launch 1.5l 3 pot turbo charged motor in X1, it's cheap period. It doesn't suit BMWs image. There's so much cry even if a cars infotainment system misses out on Android auto or apple carplay, did BMW provide it when the mass market cars had them? Nope. And also those useless run flat tyres which are not at all suitable for India, did they even bother to switch to other types of tyres. NO.

Let's come to VAG cars now, starting with their innumerous DSG failures. Did anyone question them that if that technology was not suitable for India why did they even bring it and rob the customer's time , money and piece of mind? Also the diesel emission scam the less said the better. It's a such a big blot on their so called engineering expertise that it will take ages for it to fade away.

They are not at all serious about Indian customers. Their snob says it all. Indian customers only buy their cars for their perceived badge value. Heck when I was a new to the world of cars I was so surprised that in developed nation's these cars are used as cabs and no one gives a damn about their badge value. It's so common there.
Also how can these "German experts" be so dumb that they cannot even provide a proper and designated place for a "Full sized" stepney.
In my view then even their cars are very "average" with their own set of drawbacks.

PS: And I am not a FANBOY of any "INDIAN" brand as such. My views are not to defend Tata , Mahindra, Maruti etc..

Last edited by Storm2.0 : 30th January 2020 at 22:13.
Storm2.0 is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 31st January 2020, 00:31   #587
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohanphadnis View Post
Nexon's onboard charger is only 3.3kW, so even if you install a charger that gives 7.2kW, the car will charge at only 3.3. CCS standard has inbuilt communication, which will let the charger know the max power that is acceptable for the car and the charger will only feed the power at that level.

Of course, if you intend to keep multiple EVs in future, a 7.2kW wall charger with type 2 plug can make you 'slightly' future proof.

The car charges at the lowest charging speed among charge point, onboard charger and the cable.
Got a chance to see the fast chargers being installed by Tata Power at Electronic City. It's a 25kW CCS DC fast charger manufactured by Delta. It comes with both CCS and ChadeMo connectors. This is yet to be energized / inaugurated though.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata builds a Nexon EV. EDIT: Launched at ₹13.99 lakhs-img_20200130_225551.jpg  

Tata builds a Nexon EV. EDIT: Launched at ₹13.99 lakhs-img_20200130_225420.jpg  

Tata builds a Nexon EV. EDIT: Launched at ₹13.99 lakhs-img_20200130_225356.jpg  

Last edited by salbin : 31st January 2020 at 00:32. Reason: Additional info
salbin is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 31st January 2020, 08:03   #588
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by salbin View Post
Got a chance to see the fast chargers being installed by Tata Power at Electronic City. It's a 25kW CCS DC fast charger manufactured by Delta. It comes with both CCS and ChadeMo connectors. This is yet to be energized / inaugurated though.
Where in Electronics city is this?
Old 31st January 2020, 09:15   #589
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Where in Electronics city is this?
Here it is:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Em...07!4d77.675903

There is one fast charger by MG here:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ch...8!4d77.6578531

Ather Grid is here:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/At...4!4d77.6624735
Old 31st January 2020, 10:16   #590
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkollar View Post
Dealer was saying the shipments can begin in Feb 3rd week for XZ+ and by March 2nd week for XZ+ LUX versions. I will now have to make up my mind over this weekend....
I see there is a difference of 1L between XZ+ and XZ+ LUX, and the LUX variant only offers leather seats, sunroof and auto wipers/headlights. XZ+ is a fully loaded variant, I do not see any value with sunroof in India.

In my personal opinion XZ+ is the most VFM variant. It has everything you need. Maybe seat covers from Tata official accessories or aftermarket should do the trick, it would hardly cost you extra 10-15k. You can save interest on that 1L amount of you are taking back loan and your EMI will be less. This will be huge savings which you can invest in other accessories.
ramnaresh_2000 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2020, 10:24   #591
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandhyab View Post
I don't know where the defence for Tata comes from?? Are they really owners of Tata cars??

But the ground facts are Tata makes average cars (ofcourse there NCAP ratings must be aplauded) with after sales and support equaling the German brands, atleast the Germans have great engines, ride and feel good factor so you make a conscious decision to factor in the problems. Why would someone who has experienced problems with Tata willingly be trustworthy of the brand.

Now Let me share my latest experience, Showed interest for ZS and Nexon EVs. Received calls from both companies who set up a call with the closest dealer. Told them both interested in buying only in April, Tata Salesman hung up the call, simply HUNG Up the call after saying OK. and on the other hand MG salesperson said very good decision, do test the car, and I will call you next in March.
While TATA seems to have alot of Fanboys on this forums dismissing them off seems bit much. TATA has upped their game considerably, few years back while I was looking for a new car, TATA was not even in my list of desired vendors but this November when I did, I purchased my Nexon. Their product portfolio has improved considerably but comparing them with Germans with a considerably higher price is unfair. Service wise, out of my own experience I agree with you 100%. Product wise I beg to differ, at the same price point they have matching or better products. Among the Germans only Volkswagen is in a similar price bracket and I felt they have become stale, so the feel good factor is not there anymore, engine I cannot comment since I haven't managed to test drive one.

About your latest experience, I can't help recall my experience three months back while I was out shopping for my new car. The only dealer who bothered to even arrange a Test Drive for me was the TATA one. This is why I stated I didn't manage to test drive a Volkswagen, they didnt even bother to call me back. The same for Ford, Hyundai, Mahindra and even Maruti. TATA and Toyota were the only ones who followed up, TATA was the only one who bothered to arrange a Test Drive. Your latest experience was bad, I agree but that is something we Indians in general need to learn a lot, customer satisfaction and sales pitching. Brands need to learn their value get effected by bad dealership experiences. TATA needs to work harder than others since their name ain't that good to start with.

My support for TATA isn't because I have a TATA Nexon. Their Service Center people have been both sweet and frustrating in a matter of the three month on my car's ownership. I realized other dealerships can be just as bad once the Ford dealership disappointed me, this coming from a family that had three fords.
sriks is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 31st January 2020, 10:48   #592
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappex View Post
Quick update:

Since the launch, I’m trying to get the dealer (Wasan) to respond. They have not shared a pro-forma invoice to submit to the bank yet and they are behaving in a very rude and unruly manner.

These were my booking terms:
Waive off handling charges
Matting and mudflaps complimentary
Insurance will be done with my bank directly

Not only, are they are refusing to honour such simple terms, they are unsure about delivery dates and since the booking I haven’t heard from them once!

To top it off, the GM Nilesh literally told me that he does not care if I cancel the booking.

I am shocked to see this, my enthusiasm to make the purchase is over. Trying to involve the higher ups, hoping for the best.

I guess Tata never learns, I have so much respect for the brand but this dealer behaviour and unprofessionalism is unacceptable.

I wish I could directly buy the car from Tata Motors and collect it from the plant.

Any advice will be appreciated
Go all guns blazing on social media, there's a dedicated team for handling complaints received through SM and it reports to the respective brand managers.
DeKay is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st January 2020, 11:38   #593
BHPian

Quote:
Usually for any dealership, their fattest margins are on accessories, insurance and the handling charges which you are forcing them to remove. The moment someone wants to kill that source of profit, any business be it a car dealership or vegetable seller, will not show much interest in following through with that deal.

Not supporting or against the practice. But it is the truth.

My 2 cents, personally I don't prefer to squeeze the dealers to juice out every rupee of discount I can get. By doing so, you lose out a lot more of your valuable time, peace of mind and a happy sales experience. This reminds of the nightmare tiago buying thread. In search of that last rupee, he ruined the entire sales/ownership experience for himself.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 31st January 2020 at 13:12. Reason: As requested + removed the unwanted bits. Thanks.
Turrrb0 is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 31st January 2020, 11:50   #594
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I wish I could directly buy the car from Tata Motors and collect it from the plant. Any advice will be appreciated
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeKay View Post
Go all guns blazing on social media, there's a dedicated team for handling complaints received through SM and it reports to the respective brand managers.
Maybe try another dealer first before doing a SM blitz, if Wasan isn't the only one in your city?

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 31st January 2020 at 12:12.
Old 31st January 2020, 11:52   #595
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
Couldn't agree with you more. People are so quick dismiss Indian products before even having a test drive.
True. The only positive is that the footfalls into Tata / Mahindra showrooms are increasing with each launch. Even a person who is not into automobiles now is aware that Tata/M&M are trying to give us world class products. Let's hope the complacency factor does't kick in to the respective design or marketing teams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm2.0 View Post
My thoughts resonate with yours. All the points were bang on and yet so subtle
Thanks Buddy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asethi View Post
So much true, and it’s the overall negativity about the Indian brands.
Yes, what I fail to understand is why most of us think a company that had once failed to deliver will never deliver!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelguy View Post
Can't agree more. My grandfather is a perfect example of such mindset, for him anything foreign is superior and anything Indian is inferior.
Our domestic manufacturers have to take this as a challenge and prove them wrong. I am sure someone from the marketing team is reading this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
OMG, I nearly fell off my chair laughing. This couldn't have been said any better. You do paint a picture with words. Keep 'em coming.
Thank you for those kind words

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post

OT
Tata is equally responsible for all the hatred.
Yes but as the saying goes; it's better late than never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaheenazk View Post
Superb my fellow TBHP-ian ! You have a real talent at humor. This humorous post targeted at cynical people when it comes to an Indian automotive brand is the second best I have seen in ages.
Thank you. Now I am curious about the first one on your list

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 31st January 2020 at 13:13. Reason: Smileys = 2 per post. Please go by the rules of the board. Thanks.
Kishen.padiyar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2020, 11:59   #596
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turrrb0 View Post
My 2 cents, personally I don't prefer to squeeze the dealers by their b*lls to juice out every rupee of discount I can get. By not doing so, you lose out a lot more of your valuable time, peace of mind and a happy sales experience.
Offtopic:
It could be my wrong interpretation. Did the highlighted portion negate the thought that you wanted to convey in your previous line?
fordday is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2020, 12:22   #597
BHPian

Quote:
Quick update:

Since the launch, I’m trying to get the dealer (Wasan) to respond. They have not shared a pro-forma invoice to submit to the bank yet and they are behaving in a very rude and unruly manner.

To top it off, the GM Nilesh literally told me that he does not care if I cancel the booking.
You can disagree with me, but I feel the reason the dealer is not budging is as this is the only money he is going to make out of the sale.
EVs will not have significant service cost and hence the extra money which was expected from a ICE car post sale is not there.

Again, I am not defending the dealer as I find these terms reasonable to some extent but not exactly a deal-breaker if I don't get all of them accepted by the dealer.
turbospooler is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 31st January 2020, 12:31   #598
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by salbin View Post
Got a chance to see the fast chargers being installed by Tata Power at Electronic City. It's a 25kW CCS DC fast charger manufactured by Delta.
Looking at the size of the fast charger, I have a blunder question. If this is the complete set of a unit, the size of it seems to be just around 20ltr by volume and the input is a 3 Phase connection of 50A. Why this cannot be part of the EV Vehicle, so that the vehicle will have a fast charger inbuilt and we need only a 3 Phase, 50A connection? Whether there is a technical limitation or is it that the cost of this setup is in multiple lakhs?

Last edited by Sreejith V : 31st January 2020 at 12:49.
Old 31st January 2020, 13:11   #599
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordday View Post
Offtopic:
It could be my wrong interpretation. Did the highlighted portion negate the thought that you wanted to convey in your previous line?
Yes. What I meant was. By not doing it the way I follow it may lead to a loss in peace of mind. But I see the confusion. Another friend had pointed it out to me as well.
Have requested the mods to edit it. Thanks for pointing it out

Edit. The post has been edited as well. Thanks mods.

Last edited by Turrrb0 : 31st January 2020 at 13:14.
Old 31st January 2020, 13:13   #600
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeKay View Post
I intent on doing that if the regional manager does not do the needful. I spoke to him yesterday and informed him about the dealer misconduct.

Quote:
Usually for any dealership, their fattest margins are on accessories, insurance and the handling charges which you are forcing them to remove. The moment someone wants to kill that source of profit, any business be it a car dealership or vegetable seller, will not show much interest in following through with that deal.

Not supporting or against the practice. But it is the truth.
Firstly, I am not forcing them to remove anything. If anything they are forcing my hand. Insurance quotes offered by them are at least ₹30k more expensive then what is available in the market. Handling charges amount to another ₹15k and some basic mats and mudflaps are adding about ₹5k.

I have purchased eight Tata cars over the years and the last one being a Nexon AMT (Diesel)

These have been my basic terms, apart from any other discount they may offer.

Quote:
My 2 cents, personally I don't prefer to squeeze the dealers by their b*lls to juice out every rupee of discount I can get. By not doing so, you lose out a lot more of your valuable time, peace of mind and a happy sales experience. This reminds of the nightmare tiago buying thread. In search of that last rupee, he ruined the entire sales/ownership experience for himself.
I agree that such experiences disturb peace of mine. But the dealer needs to treat all customers alike. Especially when one is buying an EV against the market trend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Maybe try another dealer first before doing a SM blitz, if Wasan isn't the only one in your city?
I am exploring that option, the downside being that I will be pushed down in the que and the delivery will get delayed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbospooler View Post
You can disagree with me, but I feel the reason the dealer is not budging is as this is the only money he is going to make out of the sale.
EVs will not have significant service cost and hence the extra money which was expected from a ICE car post sale is not there.

Again, I am not defending the dealer as I find these terms reasonable to some extent but not exactly a deal-breaker if I don't get all of them accepted by the dealer.
That does not justify being pushed around and paying upwards of ₹50k extra. I have not asked for any discount, what I disagree with is such practices where the dealer squeezes the customer, thinking that he does not have a choice.
Zappex is offline   (5) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed