Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th February 2020, 15:10   #676
BHPian

Re: Tata builds a Nexon EV. EDIT: Launched at ₹13.99 lakhs

Tata builds a Nexon EV. EDIT: Launched at ₹13.99 lakhs-nexon_ev.jpg

This is the on-road pricing I got for Tata Nexon EV.

Still wondering what was the advantage of pre-booking as advertised by them? Anyone else who prebooked can help understand better?
bornnerd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2020, 15:47   #677
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiator View Post
The only addition Tata could have done is to give it some sort of creep mode. It really helps in traffic.
Creep mode is already there, both in forward & reverse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bornnerd View Post
Still wondering what was the advantage of pre-booking as advertised by them? Anyone else who prebooked can help understand better?
I assume the only benefit is delivery lead time.
salbin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2020, 00:09   #678
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bornnerd View Post

This is the on-road pricing I got for Tata Nexon EV.

Those insurance quotes are way too much, you can get insurance done at far cheaper rates online or getting it done from outside but as many people have reported the dealers are not letting insurance to be done from outside
yesyeswe is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2020, 11:21   #679
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srj1266 View Post
Anybody tried booking a test drive on the Nexon EV website. I tried doing it for Pune, but i do not get the dealership names and it does not allow to submit without selecting dealer.
I am facing the same. I need to choose between "Dealership1" and "Dealership2". Wow, Tata never disappoint to disappoint.

Also, https://evsubscription.tatamotors.co...nexon/electric does not load on Firefox. On IE, it does not show what you type, so one needs to type blindly. Also, no headings for the fields, so one needs to guess which field is for what data (name, mobile, email), etc. Got through, received OTP and registered subscription interest. Feeling super proud of my debugging skills!

Last edited by anandpadhye : 6th February 2020 at 11:31.
Old 6th February 2020, 13:08   #680

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesyeswe View Post
Those insurance quotes are way too much, you can get insurance done at far cheaper rates online or getting it done from outside but as many people have reported the dealers are not letting insurance to be done from outside
On top of that according to the TaMo rep, in Chennai (Tamil Nadu) state govt has waived only 50% road tax - so a buyer still has to pay 7.5% road tax (reduced from 15%) which makes Nexon EV more expensive (additional 1.13 lakhs for mid variant).

This is contrary to all the reports available on the internet. For private electric car owners, the current road tax exemption will be enhanced from 50% to 100%.

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com...w/71149461.cms

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 14th February 2020 at 19:13. Reason: Removing font tags
Old 6th February 2020, 14:10   #681
BHPian

Just recieved this from SA.
Additional 1L for On road.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata builds a Nexon EV. EDIT: Launched at ₹13.99 lakhs-img20200206wa0000.jpg  

Radiator is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th February 2020, 20:37   #682
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
I am facing the same. I need to choose between "Dealership1" and "Dealership2". Wow, Tata never disappoint to disappoint.

Also, https://evsubscription.tatamotors.co...nexon/electric does not load on Firefox. On IE, it does not show what you type, so one needs to type blindly. Also, no headings for the fields, so one needs to guess which field is for what data (name, mobile, email), etc. Got through, received OTP and registered subscription interest. Feeling super proud of my debugging skills!
Never got an OTP... Still waiting since 4 days
Old 6th February 2020, 20:38   #683
BHPian

This is the price list in Hyderabad... Wish we had incentives like in Maharashtra

Tata builds a Nexon EV. EDIT: Launched at ₹13.99 lakhs-whatsapp-image-20200201-18.29.42.jpeg
classic86 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th February 2020, 21:17   #684
BHPian

Posting on behalf of a riding buddy who just had a nexon test drive in Bangalore. The fine gentleman is not a member of team BHP but an ardent follower.

Tata Nexon EV – Test Drive Update.

It took some effort and few calls (with mostly no calls returned) to get the dealer to bring the car for Test Drive. Initially, it was unavailability of car, which later became Charger breakdown, waiting for Tata Power guys etc etc. Finally, they brought the car to my Peenya location this evening.

I hated this color in print, but was surprised to see it in person. Awesome color – was the first impression.
Good Fit & finish, well arranged buttons etc. Some of the plastics looked a bit cheap, but the overall feel covers it all.
Good Audio system (Harman Kardon) with 8 Speakers it seems. Sounded nice with Bluetooth, and okay types with Radio.

Bluetooth mobile connectivity for music and phone.
Android Auto, Apple CarPlay etc available. The sales guy wasn’t too sure if it is wireless. There is a usb slot to connect mobile.
Dash looks pleasing. Drive mode selection by Knob with R, N, D, S modes. All digital instrument cluster. Shows range, and other usual stuff.
Air Condition performance was good.

Space :
Good for front row passengers. Good headroom for my height (6’1”) also.
Average legroom for rear passengers. Not enough for an SUV. Rear AC vent present.
Boot has some 350 litre space. Can be opened from remote key fob.
Overall, space and roominess is very good for an everyday office user.

Tyres:
Chunky tires with decent Alloys. Dint look at the numbers.
Was comfortable to drive around in Peenya’s potholed roads.

Charging:
Once you book the car, Tata Power guys will come and fix the Charging unit at your preferred location.
There’s also a loose charger, which you can use to charge in any 15 Amps slot.
There is an app (electreefi) which will show you the nearest charging station, if you need power outside home charger.
I think, there would be plenty of charging stations very soon, as the infra required is only the charger unit and parking space. I think all highway café’s will offer this facility to maximise returns from their parking space.
Company and Arai says 312 KM Range, but the dealer says - 220 to 240 KM in real world conditions. The test drive car turned up with 212 KM range left. To get the real picture, one needs to really use the car for sometime, or checkout online reviews from reputed magazines/portals.
They have deliberately avoided non-essential “power” features like Powered Boot, Powered Seats, Powered Parking brake etc.
The numbers given by the sales guy goes like this – 30 Units for full charge. That works to Rs 8.00 x 30 Unit = Rs 240.00. If we get a range of 240 KM, it’s a Rupee per KM. 8 Hours to charge in fully, at home.
It seems TATA Power charging stations might charge Rs 350.00 for full charge (fast charger – 60 mins), and Besscom Charging stations (fast charger – 60 mins) would charge Rs 200.00 for full charge. Charging based on some app or card or something, so you pay for actual units taken.
8 Years Warranty on Battery and Motor.
Sales guy said the Battery warranty covers even partial cell damages etc. Haven’t seen a write-up on that.
Also, the cost of replacing Battery and Motor after 8 years, is also not clear (I will ask him soon).

Maintenance :
No Engine, No Gearbox, No Air Intake. So, no Oil or Filters to change.
Nothing much to maintain.
There are two coolant lines. They’ll top up or change these every year.
Otherwise, maintenance would be limited to some basic stuff, and repairs if any.
Sales guy said the Battery warranty covers even partial cell damages etc. Haven’t seen a write up on that.

Drive:
Powerful drive, even on D mode. Sport mode is beast mode – literally !
Did not feel any lag or any such. As powerful as any petrol or diesel cars that we are used to – maybe a bit more.

Overall :
The real world positives and negatives could be known only after these are out on the road for few months. From the short test drive I took today, I got a very positive vibe, and think this one is going to sell well – despite the badge.
PS : I have not tried out the Kona or MG, so can’t really compare.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata builds a Nexon EV. EDIT: Launched at ₹13.99 lakhs-img20200206wa0120.jpg  

Tata builds a Nexon EV. EDIT: Launched at ₹13.99 lakhs-img20200206wa0122.jpg  

Tata builds a Nexon EV. EDIT: Launched at ₹13.99 lakhs-img20200206wa0115.jpg  

Tata builds a Nexon EV. EDIT: Launched at ₹13.99 lakhs-img20200206wa0121.jpg  

Tata builds a Nexon EV. EDIT: Launched at ₹13.99 lakhs-img20200206wa0119.jpg  

Tata builds a Nexon EV. EDIT: Launched at ₹13.99 lakhs-img20200206wa0118.jpg  

Tata builds a Nexon EV. EDIT: Launched at ₹13.99 lakhs-img20200206wa0116.jpg  

Tata builds a Nexon EV. EDIT: Launched at ₹13.99 lakhs-img20200206wa0114.jpg  

Tata builds a Nexon EV. EDIT: Launched at ₹13.99 lakhs-img20200206wa0117.jpg  

mh09ad5578 is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 8th February 2020, 11:42   #685
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mh09ad5578 View Post
Tata Nexon EV – Test Drive Update.

I also had a brief test drive in Mumbai yesterday and agree with all the points you've made - especially pickup is quite powerful (even compared to a V6 3-litre accord). I was informed the same things. A few additional points:

1. I found the regen braking to be quite aggressive, does not coast like a ICE vehicle. Needs some change in driving habits. There is no way to change this setting like the Kona. The person mentioned hill climb & descent assist is always active. Perhaps this can be causing it.

2. At 22% battery, the vehicle did not go to sports mode. Only D mode.

3. In terms of regular motor (engine replacement) maintenance, the coolant needs to be replaced every 7500 km.

4. Steering is very light. Perhaps because of EPS (I'm used to a HPS in the Accord).

5. They've done some 'nail penetration test' on the battery and claims even when a nail is inserted, nothing happens to the battery. (Somewhat hard to believe).

6. On the battery warranty of 8 years, I asked him what about the capacity going down over the period. For eg what if range goes down by 1km during this period. He mentioned even if it goes down by 1km, battery will be covered under warranty. (Again somewhat hard to believe).

7. They do not have details of the 'subscription' plans yet. Will be sharing those when he gets them. He seemed to think this will be through Leaseplan, ALD, etc. and not Tata.

8. They are not allowing this vehicle for T-permit yet. Therefore, the GOI subsidy of 10k per KW of battery is not possible to be taken.

Ashish

Last edited by aashishnb : 8th February 2020 at 11:45. Reason: Forgot to add a point
aashishnb is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th February 2020, 01:02   #686
Senior - BHPian

So I took a test drive of the Nexon EV at Tejaswi Motors in Hitech City, Hyderabad. Here is my personal take -
  • Tata did good to debut their big bang into EV on the Nexon - it is a sorted car, well built and drives well. The hood weighs like no other car's in the segment, and every metal part of the car screams S-O-L-I-D
  • The steering is nice to hold, drives pretty well too. The suspension is sorted again, and the added weighted of the battery that is distributed under the floor pan only makes it better
  • The gear selector dial is not up to my tastes, I'd rather if Tata had given something like this (yeah, yeah, I know. But hey, it is My personal take!) -
Tata builds a Nexon EV. EDIT: Launched at ₹13.99 lakhs-photo5904257324262994870.jpg
  • The ergonomics are good too, although I would have liked the front seats to slide a bit more backwards - No, it is not a problem, but I am one of those laid-back kinda driver!
  • Space, legroom - am not even going there, Tatas are know to have plenty - heck, even my wife's Nano has decent space for its footprint
  • The ground clearance and width of the door sill means elderly people may not find it easy to get it - this is might be an EV characteristic, the ICE Nexon did not feel this way
  • Now, those who have read the theories of EVs know the instant torque from the word go. But a word of caution - the Sports mode is like a poor man's ludicrous mode. Expect wheel spins and, if you ain't holding the steering wheel tight especially in loose gravel, the car itself to spin (out of control). I hope this car won't start a trend of accident photos in the Accidents thread caused by fools and a toy they do not know how to handle, that too on a public road
  • Speaking of the Sports mode, it would have helped if the car is a RWD - at least the torque steer will not be so scary (for the co-passengers at least - I was having a ball!)
  • Tata still needs to figure out their plastic build - this is not expected on a weeks old, 2000 KM driven, though possibly abused, Test Drive car especially because it is a mature base that's been out there for a while now -
Tata builds a Nexon EV. EDIT: Launched at ₹13.99 lakhs-inkedphoto5904257324262994876_li.jpg
  • The EV's instrument console has animations to show when it is driving on battery and when it is regenerating. It has a nice startup animation too, matching the look/ texture of the dashboard's dotty feel -
Name:  NexonEV.gif
Views: 1915
Size:  2.24 MB
  • This is the charging port - located in the "traditional" place where you tank up -
Tata builds a Nexon EV. EDIT: Launched at ₹13.99 lakhs-photo5904257324262994871.jpg
  • Tata is setting up these fast chargers in their showrooms for starters. Am sure they will crop up across the city soon. Nexon EV owners are getting free fast charging for one year -
Tata builds a Nexon EV. EDIT: Launched at ₹13.99 lakhs-photo5906509124076679950.jpg
  • Here are some pictures of the "engine bay" -
Tata builds a Nexon EV. EDIT: Launched at ₹13.99 lakhs-photo5904257324262994875.jpg

Tata builds a Nexon EV. EDIT: Launched at ₹13.99 lakhs-photo5904257324262994874.jpg

Tata builds a Nexon EV. EDIT: Launched at ₹13.99 lakhs-photo5904257324262994872.jpg
  • I was wondering why the car has bulbs for some of its exterior lights. The headlights weren't exactly crying our "power efficiency". This is why - the "normal" battery takes care of all the other power-suckers like in-car entertainment, lighting, etc.
Tata builds a Nexon EV. EDIT: Launched at ₹13.99 lakhs-photo5904257324262994873.jpg
  • The sound system is pretty good. The front mid-bass and tweeters did a pretty good job, the rear speakers may need a change (maybe to the same ones as front). I played If the World from Chinese Democracy, and even at pretty high volumes the sound was distortion free - the bass was clean and was not overshadowing the mids and highs. It is not audiophile quality, but definitely a good stock sound system
Is it worth a buy? Definitely, if your usage is under 200 to 250 KM. I would still not be confident of taking it on highways, not until fast charger crop up at all the fuel pumps.

For the price, Tata has pulled a rabbit out of the EV hat, and has let it loose on Hyundai and MG (and Mahindra too!). This is definitely THE value for money EV you can buy.

The only unknown with the car is it battery life - to be specific, how much will it degrade over the years, does the warranty really cover such degradation, and what will be the cost to replace it. But knowing Tata, they will be a liberal about warranties too. So if you like what you see and feel, give it a shot - my money is on the "you won't regret it" pot!
ph03n!x is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 9th February 2020, 08:41   #687
Senior - BHPian

Spotted the first Nexon EV on road in Bangalore. Deliveries have started. The driver was driving in a very jerky fashion, even though the road was smooth (rare case in the city, LOL) so he was probably trying to get a hang of it. This motion has perturbed me, and am keen to TD this vehicle. The colour looks really great, very posh.
Sebring is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th February 2020, 09:59   #688
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
This motion has perturbed me, and am keen to TD this vehicle. The colour looks really great, very posh.
That should mostly be the regenerative braking in action. With regenerative braking EVs do not coast and constant input is required on the accelerator pedal. The driver should have been used to regular coasting.
graaja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2020, 10:28   #689
Senior - BHPian

I drove the Kona here, and it was smooth sailing for me. I know there are levels for regen, but this was an unusual sight. Will take a TD over the next weekend, and update
Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
That should mostly be the regenerative braking in action. With regenerative braking EVs do not coast and constant input is required on the accelerator pedal.
Sebring is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th February 2020, 10:56   #690
Senior - BHPian

Few more things from my TD that I missed including -

• Deliveries are expected from around 20th Feb, in batches of 20. There will be a session given to the new owners by Tata, and Tata folks will also setup up the home charging connections
  • The fast charger needs a 25 KV line, and costs about 10 lakhs - which is why it's not feasible for a home setup
  • NVH is pretty good. The lack of the usual ICE engine-related sounds make the only other noise audible - just a little bit, that too - the tyres
  • Hard acceleration, or sports mode will send in a mild electric whine into the cabin - will this become the engine growl of the future?
  • Considering the absence of the ICE engine under the hood, it is possible to creep upon someone on the road and startle them - expect to hook more
  • The XZ+ Lux variant gets sunroof, leather seats, auto lamps and wipers above XZ+ for the price difference of 1 lakh. While it is not too bad, it definitely does not feel as VFM as what you get for the same lakh between XM+ and XZ+
  • Dual tone
  • Sharkfin antenna
  • Alloy wheels
  • Body coloured handles
  • Rear AC vents
  • Height adjustable seats, seat belts and rear head rests
  • Keyless entry and go
  • Wearable key (smart watch) for keyless entry and go
  • Auto-folding ORVM
  • Rear wash and wipe
  • Rear charging socket
  • Fast charging USB (front)
  • Boot lamp
  • Leather-wrapped steering
  • Headunit with Android Auto and Car Play
  • 4 tweeters + speakers
  • Front fog lamps
  • Rear defogger
  • 60:40 split for rear seats
  • Camera for Reversing...
  • Prices are expected to go up by a lakh after the prebookings are delivered - this could very well be sales-talk, and needs validation
ph03n!x is offline   (10) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks