Team-BHP > Electric Cars

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 18th April 2019, 08:14   #1
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Tata builds a Nexon EV. EDIT: Launched at ₹13.99 lakhs

Mod Note: BHPian Samba's Tata Nexon EV Review has been taken live at this link. Please continue the discussion over on the new thread. Thanks!

Thanks to a Team-BHP Fan (who prefers to stay anonymous) for sending this information in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this Team-BHP page!

Tata builds an electrified Nexon - Question is, is this a fully electric one or the hybrid that RavenAvi mentions? Not sure.

In the last week, three Nexon EVs were manufactured as a part of production test run. No one knows the specifications or anything. People weren't even allowed near the vehicle. Here's a picture of one of the cars, but there is no EV marking on any of them.

Tata builds a Nexon EV. EDIT: Launched at ₹13.99 lakhs-image00001.jpg

Last edited by Aditya : 30th June 2020 at 10:54. Reason: Adding link to Samba's review
GTO is offline   (62) Thanks
Old 18th April 2019, 11:39   #2
BHPian

Re: Rumour: Tata Motors working on Nexon Petrol Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Tata builds an electrified Nexon - Question is, is this a fully electric one or the hybrid that RavenAvi mentions? Not sure.

Attachment 1869334
Is it me or the radiator is missing, can see a hollow space and a pipe. Even a hybrid will need a radiator, this looks like a fully electric.
amrutmhatre90 is offline   (29) Thanks
Old 18th April 2019, 11:55   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrutmhatre90 View Post
Is it me or the radiator is missing, can see a hollow space and a pipe. Even a hybrid will need a radiator, this looks like a fully electric.
Thanks! Indeed. Moving post to a new thread.
GTO is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th April 2019, 12:56   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrutmhatre90 View Post
The picture's grainy but looks like a perforated grille to me. A hybrid perhaps?

OT: I can see a Jeep Compass next to it. Was this a part of some focus group?
diesel_head is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 18th April 2019, 13:20   #5
BHPian

re: Tata builds a Nexon EV. EDIT: Launched at ₹13.99 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Thanks to a Team-BHP Fan (who prefers to stay anonymous) for sending this information in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this Team-BHP page!

In the last week, three Nexon EVs were manufactured as a part of production test run. No one knows the specifications or anything. People weren't even allowed near the vehicle. Here's a picture of one of the cars, but there is no EV marking on any of them.

Attachment 1869334
Photo is not very clear to confirm radiator presence. Fully EV is not suitable at the moment due to limited range and non availability of electric charging stations in India. In my view Tata will launch hybrid EVs to takes the lead in changing phase.

Venkatesh.H
Venkatesh.H is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th April 2019, 13:56   #6
Team-BHP Support

If there is indeed a Nexon EV under development and in such a matured state, to Tata for being ahead of the curve. We may be some time away until mass manufactured EVs become common place but glad to see the intent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh.H View Post
Fully EV is not suitable at the moment due to limited range and non availability of electric charging stations in India.
That should not exactly be a hindrance considering the Tiago and Tigor EV.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/stree...e-zoomcar.html

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...-page-3-a.html
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2019, 14:25   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel_head View Post
OT: I can see a Jeep Compass next to it. Was this a part of some focus group?
I think both Nexon and Compass are built in the same plant and thus can be seen together.

I believe that this is a fully electric car rather than a Hybrid as Tata is working on pure EV tech, with the live example being Tigor EV. If Tata is planning for a Nexon EV, it needs to shed some weight. Nexon is a very heavy car and the weight will eat into its range big time.
tarik.arora is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 18th April 2019, 18:01   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Just got another confirmation from an insider that this is indeed a fully electric Nexon .
GTO is offline   (63) Thanks
Old 18th April 2019, 21:16   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Interesting move from Tata. But I really hope that they have thought this through. Sometimes you launch the right product at a wrong time. As many have pointed above, currently the infrastructure does not exist to support an all electric car.
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2019, 21:27   #10
BHPian

Maybe has relevance....
https://www.pv-magazine-india.com/20...ll-technology/
Cowardly Lion is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th April 2019, 22:11   #11
BHPian

Fully EV is a welcome move by Tata, but at a wrong time.

- Mahindra had tried their hand in E2O, which was earlier Reva [DC motor version] which was infamous for stopping on road due to DC motor commutator carbon bush worn out. Later introduced Reva-i induction motor, which was partly successful in running, but range was the problem. Range mentioned by maker was 80Km when fully charged, but actual range never exceeded more than 55km. Hence any one after driving 25km has to check whether he will reach home or not. So traveling range practically reduced to just 20-25km and return.

- Even the latest Mahindra E2O has not fetch much success to Mahindra inspite of increased to 150km range with lithium ion batteries.

- Hope Tata gives atleast more than 300+km range to make it convenient for the owners.

- In my view Hybrid EVs will break the barrier and make a nice transition from IC engines to pure EVs.

Venkatesh.H
Venkatesh.H is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th April 2019, 23:45   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Interesting move from Tata. But I really hope that they have thought this through. Sometimes you launch the right product at a wrong time. As many have pointed above, currently the infrastructure does not exist to support an all electric car.
So, when is the right time? Do you really think the infrastructure you are talking about will come up without a need?

IMO, within the city, an electronic car is perfectly usable even now. Only question is the pricing. So far, whatever was available was way beyond reasonable pricing. Having said that, it's hard to imagine Nexon owners restricting their cars to city alone. On the other hand, no such problems for the Tiago, though.
prakash_ajp is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th April 2019, 04:25   #13
BANNED

Have to appreciate TATA for trying, one can't wait till infrastructure is ready to make a product. This is all part of the learning curve. But hope the car makers come up with a charging port which has a universal compatibility, so that all electric vehicles can use the charging port. It would be great if government sets up public charging ports to encourage EV usage.
Old 19th April 2019, 06:43   #14
BHPian

I am not sure what charging technology EV manufacturers are currently using, but I hope its standardized for better usability, just like the smartphones are using standard USB charging.

Even if one were to buy an EV at the moment for strictly city usage, I see a problem from charging perspective. Many of us stay in apartment buildings with or without dedicated parking space. In such a set-up, its not possible to even charge the EV overnight using one's own home electricity.

For example, I stay on the 3rd floor of the apartment and have a dedicated parking space at the ground floor, but there's no charging point in the parking area that I can use to charge an EV. And even if there were an outlet, then it would cause additional headache to calculate that extra electricity that I would need to pay for.
FrodoOfTheShire is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th April 2019, 07:17   #15
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
As many have pointed above, currently the infrastructure does not exist to support an all electric car.
Right now, Tata has only built 3 Nexon EVs (for testing, I'm guessing). When well-priced EVs are finally launched in India, the early adopters will be less price sensitive, and have their own parking with the ability to install a charging point.

Good charging infrastructure is at least 5 - 10 years away, but so are EVs becoming mainstream.
GTO is offline   (12) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed