Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th July 2019, 16:57   #46
BHPian

Re: Is there a business model for EV charging stations (like petrol pumps) in India?

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_ash View Post
The single biggest advantage of gasoline and diesel are the enormous energy density that they come with. From my chemistry class, I can remember the calorific value of petrol to be around 34MJ/litre. That means, if it takes 5 minutes to top up around 50 litres of petrol, we are storing an equivalent of 1500 MJ for use of energy in just 300 seconds. This means we are gaining close to 1.6 kms of travel for every second of fuel we fill (assuming range of 500kms for a full tank)

The fast charger for the Kona takes about an hour to charge 80%. The range with 80% charge is about 250kms. Thats 4kms of charge gained every minute. This is roughly 1/25th of the range gained while using conventional petrol pump. This with a 'FAST' charger.

The calculations above show how impractical an EV charging station seems currently. Unless some genius thinks of a way to Super super charge the battery.

The other more practical alternative is battery swapping stations. If a typical swap takes just 2 or 3 minutes and this helps us gain close to 300km range, we now have a petrol like energy gain.

Again, how practical is a frequent battery swap, what with manufacturers integrating this with the monocoque.
Following argument changes argument in favour of EVs
for all of the fuel need you need to go to Fuel station 100% time. You spend some of your time to do this.

But in case of EV, 99% energy requirement will be sourced when vehicle is sitting idle in the house parking or office parking.

Rest 1% will be when you decide to travel more than range of vehicle in a single day. Actually it will be far less than 1% for 90% folks. These trips will need littlebit of planning for charging locations and journey breaks.

But for rest of 99% time of usage it is more convenient than Fossile Burners.
sushantr5 is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 18th July 2019, 17:36   #47
BHPian

Re: Is there a business model for EV charging stations (like petrol pumps) in India?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushantr5 View Post
Following argument changes argument in favour of EVs
Fair point. And I don't disagree with the 'charge at home' theory.

However, the thread is about the 'Business Model' for EV charging stations like petrol pumps. So my argument still holds good in that aspect.
Old 18th July 2019, 18:49   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushantr5 View Post

But in case of EV, 99% energy requirement will be sourced when vehicle is sitting idle in the house parking or office parking.

But for rest of 99% time of usage it is more convenient than Fossile Burners.
According to me, EV charging stations for new business idea does not make sense.

It makes sense for existing Restaurant owners that too along highway. It will increase customer footfall for convenience of charging.

Charging station has to be accompanied by good eatery or rest station, then only it will make sense for the other business, not for charging business.
sushantr5 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2019, 19:10   #49
BHPian

I really don't think it makes any sense to have EV charging station within city. In the recent Kona advertisements, I see the proposals of new charging stations to be introduced in major cities. I miss the point.
If at all it has to work, it should be in highways, halfway between two important cities, preferably on both sides of highway, with attached restaurant, ice cream parlour, coffee shop, a children's park and other entertainment points. Basically it should be a mini mall catering to different sections of the population while the vehicle is getting charged.
iamswift is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 18th July 2019, 22:53   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksameer1234 View Post
Not sure if I misunderstood but high real estate prices in India are actually a boon. Cars can get charged wherever people park, be it office or a mall. Also, existing pumps in city can be repurposed as parking lot with charging points for each spot. That would mean two revenue streams for the real estate.
I was thinking on these lines, but I do see your point.

A lot depends on the pricing structure for charging, the ability of the merchant to incentivise charging (to attract customers) and stay profitable. When the parking lot is worth a lot of money (if it is repurposed for something else), I would want optimal use of it. I would not want a customer's car parked there for hours, when they are not spending money in the restaurant or the mall. If they are paying for the charging, they would feel they have the right to leave it parked there. Then, you would not have a parking spot for other customers who want to come in to the restaurant.
GutsyGibbon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2019, 11:02   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by payeng View Post
All I can Visualize is long rows of vehicles waiting for their turn to charge.

Charging stations aren't the solution unless there comes a tech that provides a Charge Top in in LESS THAN A MINUTE
I can't see how people miss this point. If you have a 250 miles range EV, for most forks, you only need to charge outside of home less than 5 times a year. In India, 250 km is easily 4 hours of driving. If you have a fast charger at the restaurant you stop for bathroom break and food, you have another 250 km range by the time you are done at probably a fourth of the cost compared to 250 km worth of petrol. And you are actually saving time by not having to make a fuelling stop as well as a eating stop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_ash View Post
The single biggest advantage of gasoline and diesel are the enormous energy density that they come with. From my chemistry class, I can remember the calorific value of petrol to be around 34MJ/litre. That means, if it takes 5 minutes to top up around 50 litres of petrol, we are storing an equivalent of 1500 MJ for use of energy in just 300 seconds. This means we are gaining close to 1.6 kms of travel for every second of fuel we fill (assuming range of 500kms for a full tank)

The fast charger for the Kona takes about an hour to charge 80%. The range with 80% charge is about 250kms. Thats 4kms of charge gained every minute. This is roughly 1/25th of the range gained while using conventional petrol pump. This with a 'FAST' charger.

The calculations above show how impractical an EV charging station seems currently. Unless some genius thinks of a way to Super super charge the battery.

The other more practical alternative is battery swapping stations. If a typical swap takes just 2 or 3 minutes and this helps us gain close to 300km range, we now have a petrol like energy gain.

Again, how practical is a frequent battery swap, what with manufacturers integrating this with the monocoque.
You are missing the fact that fossil fuels are at best 15% efficient thermodynamically. Also, you can't fill your car up at home. You starting your road trip with 300 km range and then you can charge it at most every highway stop (in few years) while you take a break.

Swapping stations are DOA. Who decides the form factor of batteries? These things affect the packaging and structure of the vehicle. Even if we forget that for a moment, when you buy a new vehicle, does it come with a battery? In that case, would you swap that at the first swapping station that you see for a random battery?

Charging is an easy value addition for existing roadside businesses. It will become ubiquitous as soon as a good charging installation provider comes along.
sreeharipv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2019, 09:14   #52
BHPian

KSEB (Kerala State Electricity Board) has come up with a proposal for setting up electric vehicle charging stations at every 25kms in the next two years.

Quote:
The Centre too had floated an Expression of Interest, inviting proposals to start charging stationsat Thiruvananthapuram, Kollam, Kochi, Thrissur, Malappuram, Kozhikode, Kannur and nearby areas.
The state board has identified around 80 plots of land, including the ones owned by the government.
Quote:
The board has also invited proposals to start autorickshaw charging centres at Thiruvananthapuram, Kochi and Kozhikode. This is apart from the Centre's project. Around 60 people have come forward to be part of the project.
The board will soon invite proposals from those who would like to set up stations for replacing batteries.
Quote:
A mobile app would be developed to seek applications from those interested in setting up the charging station. Qualified people would be selected to set up the stations. The stations can also be set up on land owned by private party, the board orother departments, if the permission is granted.
Link to the article.
https://english.manoramaonline.com/b...0%2C9009560120

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks