Team-BHP > Electric Cars

Search this Thread
Old 4th February 2020, 15:17   #226
BHPian

Re: MG EZS electric SUV to be built in India

I am in love with the looks and interior of MG ZS EV.
Had the opportunity to visit the MG Showroom located on Hosur road before going to office.
Firstly the showroom is sort of hidden and is right next to the Nexa showroom.
The SUV is located at the back in COPENHAGEN BLUE, Exclusive Variant.
The interiors are premium in the front, at the rear the center console is to plain, missing the AC vent.
The Sky Roof is the super up sell, however with the current Bangalore temperatures rising the interior is going to be super hot.

The Sales Executives are not so keen to show off the car as already 2600 units have been booked as per him. So they are set for the next few months.
The test drive vehicle is not in the showroom on weekdays and is being sent to the people who have booked the vehicle. As per him it would be available on the weekends.

Conversation with Sales Exec.
ME: What is waiting period ?
SE: 4 months
ME: Ohh i need it sooner
SE: Sir this is your secondary car?
ME: No, this will be my one and only car. The Primary
SE: What about outstation trips ?
ME: I will rent a Zoomcar or such , as my outstation trips are very limited
SE:

So they are really thinking this to be a secondary vehicle , however this fits
my needs. The car is the very similar in size to the Creta

Things missing in my view
1. 360 Camera
2. Rear Ac Vent

Still need to test drive and then wait for my lease to come to an end.

A Big Congratulations to all members who have booked the ZS EV waiting for your Ownership Threads.
yajaman99 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th February 2020, 10:18   #227
Team-BHP Support

During the MG Gloster event, MG just announced 2800 bookings for the ZX EV in 27 days since the launch.
Old 18th February 2020, 13:09   #228
BHPian

Where are the 2800 people who booked? This thread is almost dead.

So the MG guys sent some team to do a survey for the charger installation. I have been advised to get a new meter just for the EV which has a flat charge of Rs 6/unit. Once that is done MG allots a car to me with expected delivery timeline of around 1 month and in that period i need to make the payment.

Still some ambiguity on road tax in Mah. Its definitely not 0 road tax as there has been some recent update post the ZS & Nexon EV launches. Dealers are awaiting clarity but have been honest that its not going to be 0 which I appreciate.

If anyone else has a different version of things, would love to hear that as well.

In the meanwhile I'm just not able to understand why 90% of cars confirmed so far have been for the sunroof/internet enabled version. 3L for a sunroof in this heat and some internet features!?!? Am i missing something?

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 18th February 2020 at 13:11. Reason: Typo.
amitmk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th February 2020, 12:57   #229
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitmk View Post
I ended up cancelling my pre-booking after Tata nexon ev launch. The process was quite smooth with online cancellation. I finally decided to go ahead with lux variant of Tata nexon EV though it seems that delivery is in late March due to China related supply issues

For Mumbai, get a new meter from Adani. They already have electric charger option in new application form and it will cost you 50% less than getting supply from your home.

Last edited by bornnerd : 20th February 2020 at 12:58.
bornnerd is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th February 2020, 16:15   #230
BANNED

Quote:
One from the 2800:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bornnerd View Post
I ended up cancelling my pre-booking after Tata nexon ev launch. The process was quite smooth with online cancellation. I finally decided to go ahead with lux variant of Tata nexon EV though it seems that delivery is in late March due to China related supply issues
Confusing to get it. You booked, cancelled, and booked again?
wheelguy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2020, 18:56   #231
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelguy View Post
Confusing to get it. You booked, cancelled, and booked again?
No I cancelled Mg zs ev and went ahead with Tata nexon ev Lux variant booking instead
bornnerd is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st February 2020, 12:50   #232
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Still some ambiguity on road tax in Mah. Its definitely not 0 road tax as there has been some recent update post the ZS & Nexon EV launches. Dealers are awaiting clarity but have been honest that its not going to be 0 which I appreciate.
The road tax is actually 0% (with a very minor fixed amount of ~Rs.2500). You don't need to wait for MG or Tata to tell you this. Just get a quote from a Hyundai dealer for Kona and you can see for youself.

Quote:

For Mumbai, get a new meter from Adani. They already have electric charger option in new application form and it will cost you 50% less than getting supply from your home.
What's special about this new meter (electrically)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelguy View Post
One from the 2800:
Nice. Very soothing background music - suits an EV. And this is not a lame duck EV that's designed for "kitna deti hain" and boring to drive. In fact, it's the fastest of all 3 EVs that are available right now (0-100 in 8.5 sec) and yet soothing (no noise ). 8.5sec to 100 is 99% of IC engine cars can simply dream of. This is in Octy 1.8 TSI league! For reference, Jeep Compass with it's so-called powerful diesel engine takes yawning 12 seconds to 100
anandpadhye is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st February 2020, 14:17   #233
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
What's special about this new meter (electrically)?
It's much easier to convince Housing Societies to install Meter for Electric Charging station. As many housing society may not be ok with idea of you charging from common meter and everyone paying up for your EV charging.

Here's Adani charges

https://www.adanielectricity.com/Tariff

Check section 11. The charges are Rs. 6/kWh compared to Rs. 10.93/kWh if you are in >500 slab.

Also, additional discount of Rs. 0.75/kWh if you manage to charge your vehicle between 10PM to 6AM
bornnerd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2020, 16:53   #234
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
It's much easier to convince Housing Societies to install Meter for Electric Charging station. As many housing society may not be ok with idea of you charging from common meter and everyone paying up for your EV charging.
Yes, of course, I will lay wires from my own meter to my own parking for the charger, there is no way I am going to connect my charger to common society meter. My question is - why do I need to change my current meter for this? Current individual meters in the societies are good enough, no?
Old 21st February 2020, 22:35   #235
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Yes, of course, I will lay wires from my own meter to my own parking for the charger, there is no way I am going to connect my charger to common society meter. My question is - why do I need to change my current meter for this? Current individual meters in the societies are good enough, no?
The reason is the cost and regulations. Generally a home sanction is 6kW for 3 phase and 2kW for single phase.

So putting a 7.2kW charger will go over the sanctioned limit. Then there is the whole cost situation, where the top slab an be as much as Rs.11/unit, while it is Rs.6/unit with this connection. Of course if you have solar with excess production, you would want to use the existing supply solution.

Plus the old meters used to be rated to only 30Amps, while the new ones come rated to 60Amps.
mohanphadnis is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th February 2020, 07:49   #236
Senior - BHPian

MG ZS EV creates record : runs for 563 Kms on a single charge

The MG ZS EV took Autocar's #OneChargeChallenge and it has created a record of covering the longest distance in one single charge - 563km!
MG EZS electric SUV to be built in India-fb_img_1582597062269.jpg
The car covered 563 Kms, stopping 65 Kms from Udaipur after having started the journey from Gurugram.
MG EZS electric SUV to be built in India-fb_img_1582597066347.jpg
MG EZS electric SUV to be built in India-fb_img_1582597056879.jpg

Source: MG Facebook Page
coolkurt is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 25th February 2020, 09:52   #237
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Re: MG ZS EV creates record : runs for 563 Kms on a single charge

that is significantly higher than the ARAI method, I wonder how this was achieved, probably:
1. Drive at 40 to 50kph speed
2. Coast as much as possible
3. Reduce the drag by tailgating a truck or bus
4. Choose a path with little elevation changes

That's all I can think of.
DarthVeda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2020, 10:17   #238
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthVeda View Post
that is significantly higher than the ARAI method, I wonder how this was achieved, probably:
1. Drive at 40 to 50kph speed
2. Coast as much as possible
3. Reduce the drag by tailgating a truck or bus
4. Choose a path with little elevation changes

That's all I can think of.
They were coasting at a very low speed. Autocar even posted a video on twitter where you can see a lot of trucks and even Activa overtaking them at normal speeds. Also, AC is switched off. No night driving to avoid the use of headlights.

https://twitter.com/autocarindiamag/...13484816306176

This is called hypermiling. With same test, Kona might even cross 650 kms.
sri_tesla is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th February 2020, 10:38   #239
Senior - BHPian

Such a test is only academic and not practical at all. The average speed over the 563km was 35kmph and the poor guy could not even use the AC. In one of the Autocar videos you can see him get out of the car at the end of day 1 with his t-shirt drenched in sweat !

No one who spends INR 20L on a car is going to be driving at 35kmph with the windows closed and AC off. The up side I see is if anyone is stuck somewhere with very little charge left, they can drive like this to get to the closest town.
fiat_tarun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2020, 10:43   #240
Distinguished - BHPian

Quite obvious that if you are upto set up a record of sorts on single charge, you will have to resort to hypermilling techniques. Would you switch on the AC and turn on the headlights when taking up such a challenge? Let us not go so critical and ignore the obvious.

I would say this is still a commendable feat.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed