Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th November 2019, 19:15   #46
BHPian

Re: MG EZS electric SUV to be built in India

The MG ZS will be bigger than a Kona and Creta[4270mm] but smaller than a Tucson. But more importantly the wheel base seems low, closer to i20 than say a Creta. And the ground clearance is only 145mm, trust MG to fix this before launch. I have attached a comparo of the petrol variants sold abroad.
Attached Thumbnails
MG EZS electric SUV to be built in India-ec504b8236b54df5a9f6dc4601eb344a.png  

Aditya_Bhp is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2019, 20:35   #47
Senior - BHPian

What is the battery warranty of the MG ezs? I hope they match or exceed Kona's battery warranty. How are the CATL batteries in ezs compared to the LGchem battery in Kona?
Old 5th November 2019, 10:19   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
What is the battery warranty of the MG ezs? I hope they match or exceed Kona's battery warranty. How are the CATL batteries in ezs compared to the LGchem battery in Kona?
LG Chem batteries are definitely much better than CATL batteries in terms of energy density. Kona (LG Chem) has much better efficiency than eZS (CATL) despite the smaller capacity battery and more overall weight. This resulting in higher range as per WLTP (Euroepan) system for Kona than eZS.

Also, based on multiple reviews from UK, build quality and interior qulaity of Kona is much better than MG eZS. MG products (petrol) are panned for their cheap quality. eZS got decent reviews mainly because its much cheaper than Kona and other EVs in UK.
sri_tesla is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th November 2019, 10:43   #49
Senior - BHPian

MG Motor EZS Spotted Testing In India Sans Camouflage

The company has been planning to launch the eZS in India by the end of this year and it being spotted sans camouflage gives a sense that the model could be in the final round of testing.

The battery can be completely charged in 7 hours using a 7 kW charger and up to 80 per cent in 40 mins using a 50 kW DC charger. The battery is powering a synchronous motor that develops 141 bhp and 353 Nm.

Source

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
The CATL battery on the ZS EV has a 7 year warranty in the UK. I think MG will look to match the Kona and offer a 8 year warranty as standard.

Well CATL recently became the world's largest Li Ion battery manufacturer, edging LGChem to the No 2 spot. They've been keeping up with the reliability, no major complaints so far.
Attached Thumbnails
MG EZS electric SUV to be built in India-screenshot_20191105104543.jpg  

MG EZS electric SUV to be built in India-qqh6c1b_mgezs_625x300_04_november_19.jpg  

MG EZS electric SUV to be built in India-n20f3br_mgezs_625x300_04_november_19.jpg  

Last edited by coolkurt : 5th November 2019 at 10:49.
coolkurt is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th November 2019, 13:34   #50
BHPian

If they sell it at 22L, no one should by Creta any more. But the volumes will be extremely limited.
Old 5th November 2019, 22:49   #51
Senior - BHPian

The 44.5 kWh battery powering the ZS EV will have an IP67 dust and water-resistant rating.

MG also showcased the water wading capacity of the ZS EV, which can be seen in the image below. The model wades through water with more than 50 per-cent of the wheels submerged inside while the body of the car barely touches the water body for a brief period. The ZS EV effortlessly passes through without stalling.

Source
Attached Thumbnails
MG EZS electric SUV to be built in India-screenshot_20191105225023__01.jpg  

Last edited by coolkurt : 5th November 2019 at 22:51.
coolkurt is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th November 2019, 22:54   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreeharipv View Post
If they sell it at 22L, no one should by Creta any more. But the volumes will be extremely limited.
You can do a Bangalore-Bombay drive on Creta Range is the main reason why many would skip it. I can understand if it was a 'city only' car.
Old 5th November 2019, 23:10   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
You can do a Bangalore-Bombay drive on Creta Range is the main reason why many would skip it. I can understand if it was a 'city only' car.
Trust MG to come up with a solution for this. They do their homework very well.

May be they will set up quick charging stations at MG showrooms in Kolhapur, Hubli and Tumkur for that Bangalore-Mumbai journey.
Aditya_Bhp is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2019, 23:13   #54
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I can understand if it was a 'city only' car.
There are many rich families (with luxury Germans in the garage) who use Innova & Creta as their city-runabout! The MG EZS should make a compelling proposition for them, instead of Innova / Creta etc.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th November 2019, 06:44   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, but how many people drive from Bangalore to Bombay in their own cars?

I love long drives and never miss an opportunity to take my car out on 1000kms+ drives. Even for an enthusiast like me such occasions are about 4-5 times a year. Rest of the drives are within 2-300KMs distance which can easily be accomplished by an EV like Kona or ZS.

For close to 80% of car buyers, a range of 250KMs suffices their 90% of their needs. So an EV like ZS definitely will take the fight to similarly priced competitors like Creta, Seltos and others.
Look at the success of Kona, Hyundai has sold out their 300 cars they had for 2019 quota three months before the end of the year.
I have a feeling this will be replicated with eZS.
The reason I don't have a Kona in my garage because of lack of space in the rear. This is addressed by eZS which offers as much space as Creta.

My brother who is looking at Seltos is also waiting for eZS to launch. He never drives more than 300Kms in a day. Both of us might go in for eZS if it is as good as it looks on paper.
speedmiester is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th November 2019, 07:49   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
Even for an enthusiast like me such occasions are about 4-5 times a year.
Yes but psychologically, if you go by the trend, that's not how people think.

For example, when people are in the market to buy a phone, they want one with a camera that has a high megapixel count - even if they barely click pictures from their phone or understand that the megapixel race is pointless.

Similarly, even though one may be doing long distance road trips sparingly, it'll still figure in their requirements for a new car. " What if we have to do a road trip? We'll have to hire a cab. Unnecessary hassle"

Although things are changing with the millennials.
coolkurt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2019, 08:04   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
Yes but psychologically, if you go by the trend, that's not how people think.
I agree. But the perceptions are changing. I have used a 80Km range E2O for over 23000Kms in 2.5 years. Never had range anxiety because I used to plan my trips. In Bangalore there are enough charging facilities spread across the city, so no issues with charging as well.
speedmiester is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2019, 09:04   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
I was giving an extreme example but in many cases (like in my case) it is very common to do a 350 + kms at least few times a year. 450-500 km range is a magical number and once the EV manufacturers are able to reach that (at an affordable price) IC engine powered vehicles will see sudden death.
Old 6th November 2019, 09:55   #59
BANNED

Quote:
when few folks have done Bengaluru to Dharwad on an Ather scooter (75km range), what is stopping them from doing this on a car which might have ~320km range. All it takes is different planning compared that to of a ICE car, and you are good to go with very minimal cost for the trip
Old 6th November 2019, 10:07   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Won't be a problem as most modern EVs can recharge faster than people can take a bathroom break and eat. So if there are a few fast charging station en route with such facilities around it, you actually would save time.
sreeharipv is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks