Team-BHP - No registration fee for EVs; could get tax waivers
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Electric Cars (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/electric-cars/)
-   -   No registration fee for EVs; could get tax waivers (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/electric-cars/210046-no-registration-fee-evs-could-get-tax-waivers.html)

According to a media report, the government has decided to waive off registration fee for electric vehicles (EV). It also plans to discuss the possibility of either waiving off or reducing the road tax on EVs with state governments.

No registration fee for EVs; could get tax waivers-ev.jpg

It has been reported that the government could issue a draft notice seeking public feedback on the proposal.

While the government charges a nominal registration fee of Rs. 50 and Rs. 600 for 2-wheelers and 4-wheelers respectively, road tax for EVs ranges from 4-10% in some states. Maharashtra, Karnataka, Rajasthan and Goa are said to be the only states that don't charge any road tax for EVs.

Source: Economic Times

Link to Team-BHP News

Considering no benefit to private EVs in FAME II, this is going to be very crucial factor in pushing sales in personal segment. 4~10% is a substantial amount & all states should consider adopting the same either through EV Policy or in a direct way.
Also, Govt.'s approach regarding charging infra shall be paced so that consumers could actually witness the good visibility of charging stations installed at convenient places.

No registration fee for car means saving of 600 Rupees in Karnataka.

Edit:I did not know that there is no road tax for EV in Karnataka. That is surprising considering the high road tax we pay for normal vehicles.

600 bucks is a tiny amount, but it's a symbolic gesture :thumbs up.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaps619 (Post 4602356)
Considering no benefit to private EVs in FAME II, this is going to be very crucial factor in pushing sales in personal segment. 4~10% is a substantial amount & all states should consider adopting the same either through EV Policy or in a direct way.

While I agree that EVs will need incentives - at least in the initial years - I'm wondering if states will be willing to forego the enormous revenue they'd otherwise earn from private cars. Plus, there would also be the cost of developing charging infrastructure. It would need a solid push from the center or a chief minister who truly wants to improve the air quality.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Latheesh (Post 4602378)
I did not know that there is no road tax for EV in Karnataka.

Was announced earlier this year. It doesn't cost them anything as EV sales are zero today. I'm sure that, as EVs gain popularity, they'll start dialing in the road taxes again, slowly & steadily.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 4602642)
It would need a solid push from the center or a chief minister who truly wants to improve the air quality. .

Absolutely.

Expanding that point.

Policy making in India is largely driven by majority appeasement(initiatives that benefit a larger and homogenous population set) and vote bank politics.

EVs doesn't tick either of the above boxes. And remember, taxation on fuel/transport industry + alcohol/consumption industry is the easiest way to shore up state finances to fund the various welfare schemes and agriculture subsidies + farm loan waivers.

No Govt will take a bold step (yet) to provide subsidies for EVs which benefit a very small ( and most likely NON VOTING ) segment of the population.

GST Council meeting: No decision on reducing tax slab on electric vehicles, say sources
From the article:
Quote:

sources told Zee Media that the all powerful GST council will refer to a committee to come to a unanimous decision on cutting tax slab on electric vehicles.
They really need to get cracking on this. There are enough challenges with adopting EVs. The government should do everything in its power power to help.

Would anyone have a view on the "Tax upto" date in the "RC" of a non commercial EV four wheeler in MH.

My EV's RC shows the "Tax upto" date validity as 1 year from date of purchase.

As an EV owner what do we to do post the end of 1 year with respect to the road tax.

In the govt of MH cancels the road tax exemption ? or even if the exemption is is continued, do we have to get the RC/ TC amended each year ?

Thanks in advance.

Quote:

Originally Posted by diablo29 (Post 5331499)
Would anyone have a view on the "Tax upto" date in the "RC" of a non commercial EV four wheeler in MH.

My EV's RC shows the "Tax upto" date validity as 1 year from date of purchase.

I received RC last week for my MG ZS EV (delivered in May first week). It shows "Tax upto" as LTT.
I remember reading somewhere on the forum where a Nexon EV owner mentioned the same thing as you. Worth checking with the dealership.