Team-BHP > Electric Cars

Search this Thread
Old 27th June 2019, 08:42   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Tigor EV priced at Rs. 9.99 lakh

I had inquired about Tigor EV in Bangalore, Tigor EV is available for private buyers as well, but one needs to insist on it. I am yet to get a test drive to evaluate it.

XM variant in Bangalore costs 13.56L on road, while XT is 13.64L on road.
Range is 140KMs, but realistic range is between 100-110Kms. Top speed is again limited to 80KMPH.

Waiting for Hyundai Kona EV as it offers usable range of 300Kms, CSUV dimensions and 5 year unlimited Kms warranty and a battery warranty of 8 years.
Kona also has a higher top speed of 155KMPH with 136BHP motor. Also it is expected to be feature rich compared to bare bones Tigor EV which is a compromise.
speedmiester is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 27th June 2019, 08:47   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
This part of your post is partially correct. Reason for offering only to fleet operators is that the car itself isn't ready for the mass market yet.

Tata knows that whichever fleet operator buys the Tigor EV will do so for specific reasons (e.g. PR, image). They will thus know what they're getting into & put up with the product's shortcomings. Fleet operators usually have access to better infrastructure and will be okay with the limited range & downtime (due to charging).
Absolutely right! The product is not mass market ready yet and is not even suitable for taxi application. However, fleet operators will buy these for PR and image only. On top of that, they can haggle with Tata for discounts when they are buying in bulk (say over 5 vehicles).

While i praise Tata for launching this but the product is pretty sub-standard. Even if Tata opens this for retail sales, there would be just hand-full (finger-full, if this word exists) of people buying this. In a jam packed city like Delhi or Mumbai, the car will not run for more than 80-90 kms in summers when the AC remains ON throughout.

The only icing for this product could be if the government approves road-tax waiver for EVs., something that is being discussed now-a-days.

Last edited by tarik.arora : 27th June 2019 at 08:54.
tarik.arora is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2019, 09:04   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
You don't want a competitor buying your first EV and ripping it apart to get to know your secrets.
Reminds me of this incident

Tata Tigor EV priced at Rs. 9.99 lakh-untitled.jpg

Link to full article
Games Goblin is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th June 2019, 09:47   #19
BHPian

Baby steps in the right direction by Tata. I don't understand the need for anything other than airbags, ABS & manual AC for cab operators. Tata can skimp on all other features, & with the saved costs put in a bigger battery to bring the usable range in the vicinity of 150 km, which would be much more palatable for cabbies. It can then pose a serious threat to the established cars in cab market.
Right now, I do not even see cab aggregators like Ola or Uber buying these. The only people for whom it makes sense right now - fixed route operators (intracity airport/railway station cabs), conveyance of employees, etc.
Old 27th June 2019, 11:01   #20
BHPian

The realistic range is quite less at 100-110 km. Also will the Boot space be affected by the location of the Main Battery (in the rear/boot perhaps)?
Old 27th June 2019, 13:12   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarik.arora View Post
While i praise Tata for launching this but the product is pretty sub-standard. Even if Tata opens this for retail sales, there would be just hand-full (finger-full, if this word exists) of people buying this. In a jam packed city like Delhi or Mumbai, the car will not run for more than 80-90 kms in summers when the AC remains ON throughout.

The only icing for this product could be if the government approves road-tax waiver for EVs., something that is being discussed now-a-days.
I agree that the product might seem sub-standard right now, but remember this is the first iteration and Tata is known to learn from customer feedback and improve on it (bit slow but they do listen)

There always be more bugs/niggles/issues in the first iteration of Product when you are venturing into a relatively different product than your usual product line (seen it plenty times in Software Companies).

I also feel 100 km range is about right for initial feedback, most people in Mumbai/Delhi will access to better infrastructure in office or home so they will not be worried. Many corporate offices in Mumbai have started providing charging stations in Parking which also works as dedicated parking

If Tata manages to fix all the niggles in the first year and come up with more rounded project with slightly better range (150km in real world), they will surely find a better audience for this car.
turbowhistle is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th June 2019, 13:20   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
Tata has introduced the all-electric version of the Tigor called the Tigor EV in the Indian market. It is only available to fleet operators. The Tigor EV comes in two variants XM and XT priced at Rs. 9.99 lakh and Rs. 10.09 lakh (ex-showroom, Delhi) respectively. The prices include FAME-II subsidy of Rs. 1.62 lakh.
Hi TusharK,

I was wondering where you got this information from, and visited the Tata Tigor website https://tigor.tatamotors.com/.

There, I noticed the tab for Tigor EV, that takes you to the website https://tigor.tatamotors.com/electric/ ... and now I understand from where all of the above information is taken.

It seems like the vehicle is available only in select cities and dealerships ... https://tigor.tatamotors.com/electric/dealerlocator.

A lot of questions posted by some of us are probably covered in their FAQ section https://tigor.tatamotors.com/electric/faq ... and it may be a good idea for us to go through this.

Might be worthwhile to fill up the inquiry form too, to check on the real situation on the ground.

Cheers,

FourWheelDrift
FourWheelDrift is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th June 2019, 14:01   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mukund View Post
The electric motor powers the wheels via a single gear ratio, since the torque on a electric motor is instantaneous and they rev reasonably high.
Sure.
What I meant to say was - this is just a single gear ratio. So nothing "automatic" or "manual" about it. You would never need to or be able to change the gear!
anandpadhye is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th June 2019, 14:44   #24
BHPian

Taxi drivers are notorious for taking detours, giving lifts, unplanned stops for food etc. Add to that the unpredictable commute duration of our cities which can vary by hours at times and the 100km range seems to be too low for continuous operations. Does Tata expect the cab drivers to meticulously plan their trips and charging breaks? My corporate cab driver doesn't even want to use GMaps to find the fastest route let alone figuring out the complexities associated with electric vehicles.

Their own employees or the employee shuttle division would've been a better bet to test out the vehicles. There are so many TML vehicles running trips between Pimpri, Ranjangoan, Chakan and other supplier locations on a daily basis.

Last edited by yd_gli : 27th June 2019 at 14:46. Reason: Correct spelling mistakes
Old 27th June 2019, 22:27   #25
Senior - BHPian

Attaching the launch brochure of Tigor EV with details of both the variants below.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf TataEV_Brochure.pdf (1.12 MB, 378 views)
Old 27th June 2019, 23:41   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjnnbagal View Post
I'm wondering what is logic behind launching a car only to Taxi segment, is it like they want to disappoint small group of buyers first and then correct accordingly

A big reason is that FAME2 benefits for electric cars are available only to commercial fleet operators. And the range, price and performance is unlikey to find too many individual buyers.

Tata Motors can also work directly with fleet operators to better support the car, e.g. installing enough fast chargers at their main parking points etc. And the cars on road give them valuable data to make them better. These improvements and battery cost reduction will make it feasible in 2-3 years to make a practical affordable electric car in India.
guptad42 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th June 2019, 00:13   #27
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
What about ABS, Airbags?
What is a single speed "automatic" transmission?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mukund View Post
The electric motor powers the wheels via a single gear ratio, since the torque on a electric motor is instantaneous and they rev reasonably high. A detailed video below:
https://m.Youtube.com/watch?v=36H9BVeMYMI
Quote:
Sure.
What I meant to say was - this is just a single gear ratio. So nothing "automatic" or "manual" about it. You would never need to or be able to change the gear!

So, its basically a CVT, right?
simeonovitch is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2019, 00:37   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Sure.
In the truest essence, yes there is no changing gears, but you still need to shift to reverse (which is done "automatically" at the push of a button or a Lever).
Quote:
Originally Posted by simeonovitch View Post
So, its basically a CVT, right?
It is not. A CVT, theoretically has infinite ratios(hence the smooth shifts, because there are no actual shifts), chosen on the go by two belts connected to a cylinder (hence the rubber-band effect).
Here with EV's, you have a single fixed gear ratio chosen once.
A shorter video(by the same person, just younger) detailing the workings of a CVT below:

Last edited by Mukund : 28th June 2019 at 01:04.
Mukund is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th June 2019, 00:42   #29
BHPian

My company provides office cabs for employee pick up and drops and they have a fleet(more than 20-30 probably) of Mahindra eVerito. We have been using them for 1.5-2+ years. The drivers tell me the range is about 100 km and its perfect for picking up and dropping employees from nearby locations. I enjoy the rides and near silent operation. The drivers also wear a special uniform who operate the electric vehicles only.

Name:  Screen Shot 20190628 at 12.33.33 am.png
Views: 2425
Size:  302.2 KB

https://www.mahindraverito.com/everi...ew-verito.aspx

I find criticism of the Tata Tigor EV and the eVerito unwarranted. If you don't like it, don't buy it. This is made for a different target segment and the technology is still developing. We should appreciate indigenous efforts in new fields of technology and only then will we be self reliant.

This is the same problem HAL (Hindustan Aeronautics Limited) is facing. IAF wants a F-22 or Rafael in the LCA but forgets that HAL has not made a previous generation F-15 or Mirage 2000 before that ! Without experimentation, trial and error you won't get a perfect product all of a sudden.
Foxbat is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 28th June 2019, 12:27   #30
BHPian

Instead of designing one from ground up, they are trying to palm off a hackjob (a jugaad if you must) as a real EV.
Pathetic usable range, limited top speed, acceleration figures equivalent to mopeds of yore, and to top it all weight of a tractor. And not to mention the premium of two lakh rupees for all this.
Tata has been making jugaad EV concepts since the days of Indica, and all their research and development has come up with is this joke.
At the risk of sounding clichéd, I would just say what are they smoking these days?
Thank you sirs I will take a raincheck on this one

Last edited by Cool_leo_guy : 28th June 2019 at 12:30.

Most Viewed