Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th June 2019, 20:47   #1
Senior - BHPian

Tata Tigor EV priced at Rs. 9.99 lakh

Tata has introduced the all-electric version of the Tigor called the Tigor EV in the Indian market. It is only available to fleet operators. The Tigor EV comes in two variants XM and XT priced at Rs. 9.99 lakh and Rs. 10.09 lakh (ex-showroom, Delhi) respectively. The prices include FAME-II subsidy of Rs. 1.62 lakh.

Tata Tigor EV priced at Rs. 9.99 lakh-tigorev1.jpg

The Tigor EV is based on the standard Tigor compact sedan. The XT variant gets alloy wheels and electric ORVMs, while features like automatic climate control, power windows, Harman audio system with Bluetooth connectivity, height adjustable driver seat and adjustable front headrests are offered as standard across both variants.

Tata Tigor EV priced at Rs. 9.99 lakh-tigorev2.jpg

The Tigor EV is powered by a 72V, 3-Phase AC induction motor that puts out 40 BHP @ 4,500 rpm and 105 Nm of torque @ 2,500 rpm and is mated to a single speed automatic transmission. Tata Motors claims that the Tigor EV can accelerate from 0-60 km/h in 12 seconds and has a top speed of 80 km/h. The car weighs 1,516 kg (Gross Vehicle Weight).

Tata Tigor EV priced at Rs. 9.99 lakh-54tigorev3.jpg

The electric motor is powered by a 16.2 kWh battery that is claimed to offer a maximum range of 142 km (MIDC cycle). The battery can be recharged to 80% of its capacity in 360 minutes using a normal charger. With a 15 kW fast charger, the charging time to 80% is said to reduce to 90 minutes.

Tata Tigor EV priced at Rs. 9.99 lakh-tigorev3.jpg

Tata Tigor EV priced at Rs. 9.99 lakh-4tigorev3.jpg

Tata Tigor EV priced at Rs. 9.99 lakh-754tigorev6.jpg

Tata Tigor EV priced at Rs. 9.99 lakh-54tigorev6.jpg

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by TusharK : 26th June 2019 at 20:48.
TusharK is offline   (45) Thanks
Old 26th June 2019, 21:04   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Tata Tigor EV priced at Rs. 9.99 lakh

What about ABS, Airbags?
What is a single speed "automatic" transmission?
anandpadhye is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th June 2019, 21:15   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
What about ABS, Airbags?
ABS, dual airbags and rear parking sensors are standard equipment.

Source: Autocar India
Amartya is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 26th June 2019, 21:16   #4
BHPian

Excuse me if this is a silly question -

I noticed the Exide battery in the engine compartment

Why does a fully electric vehicle require a regular car battery?

Regards
Games Goblin is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th June 2019, 21:17   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Games Goblin View Post

Regards
Not sure but maybe for electronics of a car. LIghts, wiper, instrument cluster, AC etc.
tushky is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th June 2019, 21:22   #6
Senior - BHPian

Only today saw a tigor EV in office. Spoke to the driver for sometime. As per him it cost his firm around 13L, gives approx 100kms range and is Automatic. The transmission had a 4 way stick which didn't look like this one shown in the picture in first post. He added in stop and go traffic the range reduces further.

I thought it was available only to government employees for sometime, but not sure how these operators got it already.

Last edited by SoumenD : 26th June 2019 at 21:24.
SoumenD is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th June 2019, 21:50   #7
Senior - BHPian

The classic dilemma posed to a potential customer warming up to an EV now - Other things like dimensions and equipment unchanged, you have a car which is slower, more expensive and heavier.

While the charging infrastructure mostly gets the stick, I feel shortchanged at such pathetic performance figures to be even considered by OEMs
0-60 km/hr in 12 seconds indeed!
GeeTee TSI is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 26th June 2019, 22:05   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
What is a single speed "automatic" transmission?
The electric motor powers the wheels via a single gear ratio, since the torque on a electric motor is instantaneous and they rev reasonably high. A detailed video below:
Mukund is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 26th June 2019, 22:51   #9
BHPian

I'm wondering what is logic behind launching a car only to Taxi segment, is it like they want to disappoint small group of buyers first and then correct accordingly
gjnnbagal is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 27th June 2019, 01:22   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Regards

Proper electric cars don't. I'm going to take a guess and say that this is a hackjob or jugaad by Tata because they had too many spare Tigors lying around.
Cresterk is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 27th June 2019, 06:49   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Excuse me if this is a silly question ... Why does a fully electric vehicle require a regular car battery?
Primarily it's there to provide 12V auxiliary power supply to the standard car accessories like music system/central lock/headlamps etc which are common to all vehicles. Even current Tesla cars have a 12V separate battery.

Besides, there are engineering reasons to have an auxiliary power source. Imagine, you are stranded in a highway as the main battery runs out of charge and you cannot turn on the hazard lights nor you can lock the car to go away to get some help!
gmhossain is online now   (24) Thanks
Old 27th June 2019, 08:21   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjnnbagal View Post
I'm wondering what is logic behind launching a car only to Taxi segment, is it like they want to disappoint small group of buyers first and then correct accordingly
Taxi segment, at least in city plys within limited radius hence the range constraint does not kick in. Also, As I have seen in Bangalore most of the electric cars are used in the corporate fleet where the route is fixed largely, hence predictability increases. Also for the technology yet to go mainstream this can be a perfect experimental control group.

I am glad that an Indian company came with such product offering, naysayers are everywhere and I cringe to see the sarcasm in some of the posts in this forum. What we should know is technology and policy evolve over time, we as enthusiasts must lend our shoulders of support and offer constructive criticism.

Last edited by Thilak29 : 27th June 2019 at 08:22.
Thilak29 is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 27th June 2019, 08:22   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cresterk View Post
Proper electric cars don't. I'm going to take a guess and say that this is a hackjob or jugaad by Tata because they had too many spare Tigors lying around.

That is not correct. Electric cars also have an auxillary battery. Tesla has one and needs replacement every 4-5 years like the normal ICE cars. Even the smart hybrid Suzuki cars have a separate lead acid battery and lithion ion batteries for powering their motors.

Last edited by padmrajravi : 27th June 2019 at 08:24.
padmrajravi is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 27th June 2019, 08:29   #14
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjnnbagal View Post
is it like they want to disappoint small group of buyers first and then correct accordingly
This part of your post is partially correct. Reason for offering only to fleet operators is that the car itself isn't ready for the mass market yet.

Tata knows that whichever fleet operator buys the Tigor EV will do so for specific reasons (e.g. PR, image). They will thus know what they're getting into & put up with the product's shortcomings. Fleet operators usually have access to better infrastructure and will be okay with the limited range & downtime (due to charging).

More importantly, Tata can closely work with the fleet operators & get feedback. Think of these fleet operators as "beta testers".

This is also Tata's first EV so it can pick & choose who it sells the car to. You don't want a competitor buying your first EV and ripping it apart to get to know your secrets.
GTO is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 27th June 2019, 08:39   #15
BHPian

With a real life range about 100 km, the only logical use I can think of is as a refined eco friendly buggy to ferry guests across buildings/terminals/phases in larger commercial complexes, resorts and similar properties.

I don't think fleets will take it for any other practical use though some may want to just make a statement or do a test run.

Last edited by CoolFire : 27th June 2019 at 08:41.
CoolFire is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks