Team-BHP > Electric Cars

Old 1st August 2019, 18:43   #121
BHPian

Default Re: Rajiv Bajaj's blistering attack on the Government's "shift to EV" plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
If something has to replace an existing tech, it has to be better than the existing one. I do not see EVs either being faster or economical in the near future.
Well said, Today in India every second counts. No one wants to wait for an hour for his electric vehicle to charge up. I guess for India Hybrid vehicles will make more sense, let the all electric vehicles be available for public transport.
Even Tesla's supercharger takes 20 mins to charge battery upto 50%.
amrutmhatre90 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2019, 19:09   #122
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Rajiv Bajaj's blistering attack on the Government's "shift to EV" plan

This is seriously stupid IMHO. A year or so ago I remember reading the govt is going to push CNG in a big way because India has the resources in KG Basin, Cauvery basin, North-East States etc.

Apparently all that we needed to do was to lay pipelines across the country & IIRC there was an announcement by Dharmendra Pradhan that the govt is committed to build 10,000 CNG stations up from the current ~1,500 odd.

This was the Govts stated outlook just 1 year back. Now they're talking of electric mobility ignoring that we're developing country that's facing a very real economic slowdown. Where we'll have to import the batteries & tech as Indian industries aren't tooled to manufacture electric cars in large scale by 2030.

I don't understand this culture among people to label the concerns of a reputed head of an industry leading company as a foolish rant. I mean, c'mon people deserve to be treated with basic respect for their very very valid concerns with about viability. What Elon Musk has done in a developed rich country with heavy subsidies and at high prices is very very unlikely to be recreated sustainably here in India.

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
If something has to replace an existing tech, it has to be better than the existing one. I do not see EVs either being faster or economical in the near future.
Exponentially better.

Quote:
EV technology hasn't matured yet. There still have to be more research in the field. Until then EVs could only be, at best, that second car you use for your grocery shopping.
Worse still, neither have the public understood that they'll be unable to manage using an EV with maintenance for a decade.

Last edited by GrammarNazi : 1st August 2019 at 19:22.
GrammarNazi is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed