Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th August 2019, 16:56   #16
BHPian

Re: Rumour: Long range Tigor EV for private buyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by srini1785 View Post
The only difference is that in a highway you have bunks all along so that you can tank up and drive.
With EVs it wont be a fill and go. The batteries do take a lot longer to charge than filling up the tank and moving on. Even the fast chargers take between 45 mins to an hour to charge the battery to 80% capacity.
Old 6th August 2019, 17:20   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
I disagree with those calling for a longer range. 150km range is more than enough for city dwellers. Electric cars are perfect for the city given their efficiency, environmental friendliness and great low end response.

This is also not going to be anybody's only car - it will be a very competent second or third car that complements your highway cruiser.
The problem with the current Tigor EV as per reports is that though the rated range is 140km, the cars barely achieve 80km in city traffic with the AC on. This extended range version might actually deliver 150km in real driving conditions making it more usable !
Old 6th August 2019, 18:05   #18
BHPian

The Long Range Tigor EV, when compared with the current Mahindra eVerito, it does give the Tata's a upper hand with better range on the vehicle. Also, if Tata's come up with better warranty period than Mahindra, then these cars will be quickly picked up by cab aggregators, as the government wants Ola & Uber's to adopt EVs for their fleet.

The car could also be idle for individual commutes to offices, last mile connectivity solutions and to some fleet operators like (office cabs).

1. Individual Commutes: This makes as an perfect alternative for people who travel to office, by their car. With this people will spend much less on petrol, so the slightly higher price tag will not deter buyers.

2. Last Mile Connectivity: Pickups from bus/train/metro stations to your home, this is where these cabs could come handy.

3. Fleet Operators: The cabs if extended to fleet operators, can be used as company transport for employees. So, the cab picks up employees, drops them at office, charge for 8+hours and drop 'em back home.

Not sure about the pricing of the car, but if its slotted in the range of 10-12 lakhs, this might make it a pretty good temporary alternative, till the time long range EVs are available, in the reasonably priced range. But for time being, this looks like a pretty good alternative.

Last edited by Maverick0986 : 6th August 2019 at 18:17. Reason: typo
Old 7th August 2019, 11:28   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunil2307 View Post
With EVs it wont be a fill and go. The batteries do take a lot longer to charge than filling up the tank and moving on. Even the fast chargers take between 45 mins to an hour to charge the battery to 80% capacity.
Duly noted. What i wrote applied to petrol filling on ICE powered vehicles. The idea was to keep fully charged batteries in fuel dealerships which could be exchanged for drained ones and to act as charging facilities for drained ones. It was only a discussion, far from seeing reality.
srini1785 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 7th August 2019, 11:59   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srini1785 View Post
Duly noted. What i wrote applied to petrol filling on ICE powered vehicles. The idea was to keep fully charged batteries in fuel dealerships which could be exchanged for drained ones and to act as charging facilities for drained ones. It was only a discussion, far from seeing reality.
I understand your point of view. Hopefully we will see some real innovation either in terms of battery capacity/ charging times/ charging infra/ rental mode (the one similar to what you mentioned), so that there is wider adoption.
Old 11th August 2019, 06:33   #21
Senior - BHPian

I think this will be fine as a second car for in-city commutes. Can't see why this can't sell in greater numbers than all the previous EVs if priced well. For those who ask for a 500km range, I don't think that's going to happen soon. Teslas are sophisticated cars with which are at least 3 times the expected price of EVs in India.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
[*]It needs a more powerful motor too. Its just about adequate right now & for a heavy car like the Tigor with people, better to get more power certainly.
Any first-hand experience? I've not seen a review of the electric Tiago/Tigor.
landcruiser123 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th August 2019, 08:48   #22
BHPian

@landcruiser123- indeed, I had a chance to driver the Tigor EV in Bangalore, courtesy a Tata dealership near Lalbagh.

It is an interesting segment, compact sedan EV. Like the Tigor or the Tiago, the car is fairly comfortable on the potholes roads in Bangalore. While, the Nano XTA I drive is not a comparison, but the comfort levels are on par albeit with a bit of body roll at the rear. The silence of the EV motor is what will impress you.

The big downer though is the pricing. At ~13.5l with the subsidy built in, the math just did not work for me. Similar was the situation when I bought the Nano over the E2O.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 11th August 2019 at 19:52. Reason: edited for better readability
Old 11th August 2019, 19:36   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshays View Post
@landcruiser123- indeed, I had a chance to driver the Tigor EV in Bangalore, courtesy a Tata dealership near
How was the performance? With all the power available initially, how does it compare with the regular Tigor.
Old 11th August 2019, 20:06   #24
BHPian

Hi @dragntailonfire - linear delivery as expected in an EV. However, what I might want to stress on is the ease of drive ability. The roads I drove on are the interior roads opposite Double road bus terminus so you can quite imagine. Smooth as butter, very comfortable. However, this is not a car you want to push hard- that will impact the range. The regular Tigor with the diesel is a hoot with low end torque but this is not the same. Trust this helps. Off topic, I was there for a TD of the Storme and heard the EV was in the body workshop, hence my request to TD the EV as well. I love Tata cars for the simplicity and VFM. This would have been a replacement for my Nano if this were cheaper by a huge margin. My long term ownership of the 3.5yr XTA with 11k on the odd coming up soon.
akshays is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th August 2019, 05:54   #25
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
According to a media report, Tata Motors is likely to introduce a long range version of the Tigor EV for private buyers.
This maybe an interim effort by TML. No doubt 200 km is a decent range for those with inner city requirements. And from what I see in our Lucknow suburb, two-car households (and even 3-car) are proliferating, with pre-owned car prices tumbling. So it would make sense to use the other car(s) for highway touring while keeping the e-car for inner-city use.

But for keeping up with the govt's much-touted efforts to convert to a largely e-car economy, the range must be doubled at least (400-500 km) for out of town journeys - assuming that charging is available at both ends.

Last edited by Aditya : 12th August 2019 at 18:22. Reason: Trimming quoted text
Old 12th August 2019, 13:22   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by india008 View Post
Even if 100-200 KM range is sufficient for city drive, what happen, if they want for a long drive. Obviously they will have to rent another car, though they got one at home. Its senseless.
I'd be okay with this. Provided the EV was well kitted out otherwise & fun to drive in city. Long-distance trips are rare for me & I'd be happy to rent out a petrol. They're more fun on highways in any case.

If 200 km theoretical translates to even 100 - 120 kms in "real world" (aircon, full loads & some spirited driving) that good enough for a full day of city-driving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunil2307 View Post
With the long range being touted at 200 km, in practicality it will be more like 150-160 kms. So, that translates to people having to charge her up 2-3 days, and ofcourse the issue of taking it out for a long drive, acceptability might be very limited.
IF you have parking spot in your building, even daily charging is easy - just plug in overnight. Any certified electrician can install in a connection from your (ground floor) meter to parking. A smart OE would bundle-in a charging point installation with the package. (Tata Motors can easily contract Tata Power to do it for them).
Admittedly, getting society permissions may be a hassle for some.

As to the latter, true - one is limited to about 60 kms radius from home (assuming ~ 120 km real world range + margin for error). However - that's plenty for regular city commutes & more. (Colaba to Panvel is 50 kms; Gurgaon to Noida is ~ 40-60 kms)

Last edited by gautam109 : 12th August 2019 at 13:25.
Old 12th August 2019, 13:55   #27
BHPian

but woiuldn't an Electric Nano(with a premium facelift and a premium name) be the best possible city EV ?

Wouldn't that be cheap + efficient + nimble for commuting? (it was these things already)

It would have more range as it's light and perfect for commuting.

They were also planning on it I guess
https://cleantechnica.com/2017/11/26...ill-return-ev/

https://www.indiatimes.com/auto/curr...et-368361.html

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com...2.cms?from=mdr

But all are late 2017 News

Tigor EV should be coming after that. Tata is missing on this great advantage.

- Slick

Last edited by Slick : 12th August 2019 at 14:18. Reason: Added Nano Electric links
Slick is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2019, 16:21   #28
BHPian

The limited range and the charging infrastructure are the major issues with EVs (mass-market) available in India. The Tigor can be good for intra City use. But with the unpredictable traffic conditions, it can surely cause some nervous moments. https://m.timesofindia.com/city/kolh...w/70634861.cms
That is just a distance of 7km which can take upto 2 hours to travel (just an example). The reasons behind the time taken are immaterial if you are stuck in a EV which is losing it's range and can leave you stranded.
adi.mariner is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2019, 16:27   #29
BHPian

I'm ready to consider buying a EV as my city car, provided I get it as a VFM.

1. I travel 50kms daily, I need at least 150 Kms to at least charge once in 2 days, as sometimes we are sure to forget to charge the car and I shouldn't be let down then.
2. The cost should not make a hole in my wallet, I can pay a premium but not a huge sum to save the earth only from my pocket
3. Warranty is a must both on the battery pack and the car itself, TATA should not write-off saying EV doesn't need any maintenance
4. If it was Nexon I would be very happy, instead of Tigor
.HEM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2019, 17:00   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi.mariner View Post
That is just a distance of 7km which can take upto 2 hours to travel (just an example). The reasons behind the time taken are immaterial if you are stuck in a EV which is losing it's range and can leave you stranded.
Getting caught in traffic, is a real concern. With limited range of EVs and ever-increasing city traffic doesn't sum up to a positive decision making even though one's daily commute is very less.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks