Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th September 2019, 15:34   #1
Senior - BHPian

Porsche vs Tesla at the Nürburgring

Porsche and Tesla are competing for the 4-door electric car lap record around the Nürburgring.

Porsche vs Tesla at the Nürburgring-bmmyjy2fuy6kabuplfi4.jpg

According to a media report, Tesla might have set an unofficial lap time of 7 minutes and 23 seconds, which is almost 20 seconds quicker than what the Porsche Taycan could manage. The lap time is said to have been timed by a Nürburgring spy shooter and Germany’s Auto Motor und Sport. The car used by Tesla is a Model S P100D+, which is said to have three electric motors. The car has not been launched yet but is expected to make it to production in 2020.

The Porsche Taycan currently holds the record for the fastest electric 4-door car around the Nürburgring. It set a lap time of 7 minutes and 42 seconds. Reports suggest the car used for the record run was a stock Taycan Turbo, which is the base model. The faster Taycan Turbo S could set a faster lap time.

Porsche vs Tesla at the Nürburgring-b04taycanprototypeonitswaytotheschwalbenschwanzsection.jpg

It is said that Tesla's official lap attempts might happen this week.

Link to Team-BHP News

Source: Jalopnik

Last edited by ChiragM : 18th September 2019 at 15:36.
ChiragM is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 18th September 2019, 15:58   #2
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Re: Porsche vs Tesla at the Nürburgring

Am I the only one confused here?

Taycan holds the fastest 4-door electric car record. How can the car used for the run be a Taycan Turbo? Turbo S will set a faster record time?

Turbo in an electric car? What's going on here?
Tgo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2019, 16:02   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgo View Post

Taycan holds the fastest 4-door electric car record. How can the car used for the run be a Taycan Turbo? Turbo S will set a faster record time?

That is because Taycan Turbo and Taycan Turbo S have different specifications.

Quote:
the Turbo S produces up to 751 hp (560 kW / 761 PS) – compared to the Turbo’s 671 hp (500 kW / 680 PS) – Car & Driver notes the full output is only available for 2.5 seconds at a time. Afterwards, both models produce 616 hp (459 kW / 625 PS).

Link
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2019, 16:03   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Its just a nomenclature trick. There's NO TURBO !
karan561 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th September 2019, 16:04   #5
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Do they have IC engines or are they fully electric?

Why the "Turbo" in the name in case of the latter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
Thanks for the clarification. Was suspecting the same, got it now.

Last edited by Tgo : 18th September 2019 at 16:05.
Old 18th September 2019, 16:36   #6
BHPian

Now I don't understand why Porsche would set an official lap record with a lower powered version(turbo) in this case.
Old 18th September 2019, 17:07   #7
BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
It's the same as Gillette calling their razor a Mach3 Turbo. It just sounds cool like what @karan561 said. I highly doubt Taycan Boost would've sounded better.
nikhilthegunner is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th September 2019, 17:29   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Hahaha! This is going to be an epic battle between two very giant egos (Musk vs Porsche). Looking forward to seeing how it pans out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSIVTEC View Post
Now I don't understand why Porsche would set an official lap record with a lower powered version(turbo) in this case.
So that they can come back and beat it in the "Turbo" version? Similar to how some F1 teams sandbag (more details).

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhilthegunner View Post
It's the same as Gillette calling their razor a Mach3 Turbo.
So true. Plus, "Turbo" in Porsche's line-up has always meant "faster". E.g. 911 Turbo, Cayenne Turbo etc.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th September 2019, 18:02   #9
Senior - BHPian

I think Porsche's ego is getting hurt more because they must be thinking how on earth a relative newbie in the automobile field is able to challenge the might of Porsche. We all know how special Porsche's cars and SUV's are to drive. Their RS versions of sports cars always hold nurburgring lap time records.

The same thing happened to Buggatti when a relative newbie like Koenigsegg challenged their Veyron for the top speed title hurting their ego in the process. So Buggatti also had to reply with Veyron Supersport and now the Chiron Supersport.

So I think whenever Tesla or some other carmaker sets a new nurburgring lap record, Porsche will try it's best to reclaim their spot as the top dog. Awaiting the lap time of Taycan Turbo S now.
ram87pune is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2019, 18:44   #10
BHPian

No offence but most of you have it wrong.

No official time has been set at the Nurburgring as of writing this post simply because there is no official 'electric sedan/production car' category, yet.

The reason Porsche set the Taycan on the Nurburgring was to demonstrate the Taycan's abilities to take punishment. Electric cars usually cannot manage the heat and fall on their face in high performance driving.

Musk does everything for PR. Autopilot is really just level 2 or 3 autonomy and not 5 (as promised years ago). Tesla is seriously behind on that promise. Not to mention the inability to generate a profit.

Tesla's aren't that luxurious. People have identified that the Taycan is the top dog now. Especially the Porsche and ICE supercar loyalists. Taycan has 95% the performance and exponentially better interior and general build quality. Tesla needs to do something to stay relevant. The P100D Ludicrous is fast enough for the street. If someone wanted to track a car, they'd buy a 911 GT3.

Last edited by raystriker : 18th September 2019 at 18:58.
raystriker is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 18th September 2019, 18:46   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram87pune View Post
I think Porsche's ego is getting hurt more because they must be thinking how on earth a relative newbie in the automobile field is able to challenge the might of Porsche. We all know how special Porsche's cars and SUV's are to drive. Their RS versions of sports cars always hold nurburgring lap time records.
I don't think that's the case. Porsche does have a huge ego but they don't fear Tesla as a competitor. The Porsche buyer base is very loyal to the brand in general.
porsche_guy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th September 2019, 19:42   #12
BHPian

I hope Porsche can implement some of rimac's experience related to EVs.That would seriously make Elon musk go mad
Old 18th September 2019, 21:29   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche_guy View Post
I don't think that's the case. Porsche does have a huge ego but they don't fear Tesla as a competitor. The Porsche buyer base is very loyal to the brand in general.
Completely agree with you. Of course there is no need for Porsche to fear Tesla. But still it doesn't feel good when an upstart comes this close to beating you. That's the reason Bugatti's then CEO had stated that whenever anyone will try to threaten their top speed record, they will always go one step further.
ram87pune is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th September 2019, 00:03   #14
BHPian

Quote:
That's the reason Bugatti's then CEO had stated that whenever anyone will try to threaten their top speed record, they will always go one step further.
Quote:
The same thing happened to Buggatti when a relative newbie like Koenigsegg challenged their Veyron for the top speed title hurting their ego in the process. So Buggatti also had to reply with Veyron Supersport and now the Chiron Supersport.
I think that the current leadership at the Bugatti has opted out of the race for the fastest tag recently after they set a new record of 300 mph.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 20th September 2019 at 20:58. Reason: Correcting fact: 400 kph = 300 mph
Old 19th September 2019, 00:13   #15
BHPian

Reminds be of the famous rivalries between car companies and their respective owners.
Only if we had an electric racing series (not Formula E)
I guess we could see this pan out onto the track.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks