Team-BHP > Electric Cars

Search this Thread
Old 20th September 2019, 09:59   #16
BHPian

Re: ZipTron: Tata Motors' new EV technology brand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
+1. . In the schematics that Zip-Tron presentations have, there doesn't seem to be any active drive component on the rear axle & its just rolling wheels?
That would mean much stronger motors would be needed as just 2 will do all the weight pulling. Perhaps thats why the 300V application?
Why stronger motors!.. Almost all electric vehicles including tesla are mostly single motor drive units. Only performance versions have two motors for all wheel drive, AWD. Most sold model 3 is long range back wheel drive, which is single motor.

Front wheel drive must add some mileage improvement as pulling is better than pushing. Not sure, If I have seen a FWD electric car.. Almost all electric vehicles are back wheel driven!
pogo0120 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th September 2019, 10:18   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
By the way - does it seem like an FWD implementation? Generally EVs prefer to have lower rated (and cheaper to make + longer lasting) motors in a sort of AWD implementation. This also gives a bit of "redundancy". In the schematics that Zip-Tron presentations have, there doesn't seem to be any active drive component on the rear axle & its just rolling wheels?
That would mean much stronger motors would be needed as just 2 will do all the weight pulling. Perhaps thats why the 300V application?

Just out of curiosity, what happens if one fails in such cases? (Not sure if ZipTron is 2 motor, but just curious.) Does it mean the vehicle simply stops and goes into limp mode? Or it will have a considerable torque steer with only 1 side peddling? (Remember - Ross scaring Monica telling Ben is running in circles )
There was also a word "One Tata" (or was it "Tata one") in another thread before being merged with this thread. My guess is that Tata would be adopting the same tech to its PCV and CV divisions. For a CV, FWD is not possible and they need to have a rear axle drive. This would also explain ( at least to me ) why they went for a 300V motor. However, these are only speculations. We need to wait longer to get more details.
srini1785 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2019, 11:15   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pogo0120 View Post
Not sure, If I have seen a FWD electric car.. Almost all electric vehicles are back wheel driven!
There are many front wheel drive EVs in the market including popular models like Hyundai Kona and Ioniq, Kia Niro and Soul, Chevy Bolt, BMW i3, etc... Tesla always had RWD for single motors vehicles and even for AWD models, they have more powerful motor at rear with smaller one at front. VW's new MEB platform EVs (ID3, ID4, etc...) are RWD models. Their earlier models like e-golf are FWD.
sri_tesla is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2019, 11:22   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
It's actually Zip Tron (two separate words going by the badging in the video). Here are the video ads. Tata usually has top-class advertisements, but these are pretty lame. The agency should be fired.

What is this Tollywood style scripting! I know an ad should be funny and creative but this "stupid" funny and not "smart" funny.
ROFL !
Jokes apart, have they revealed the platform on which the cars would be based ? I'm assuming they are using a pre-existing architecture(modified version of that) for the chassis given the amount of testing they have already done

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post

- System comprises liquid-cooled lithium-ion battery pack and a 300V motor

-The high voltage 300V plus electric motor also promises to be leagues ahead of the current system in performance and output

-Tata Motors has announced 4 all-electric models to be in the pipeline.

- Altroz EV could be the first model to feature Ziptron tech.
Okay. Here are my two cents.
It's impossible to tell how the motors will perform based only on the voltage rating. The performance specifications for an electric vehicle mainly depend on the current at which the motors are operating, the type of the motor and its various parameters like the no-load speed, back EMF and other (please correct me if I'm wrong here)
A higher voltage operating motor could mean couple of things: -
  1. They are actually increasing the operating current for the motor in which case they might as well have a really robust motor design and cooling. Also, the BMS(Battery Management System) will play a huge role here.
  2. You would essentially get the same torque at a much lower current, thereby reducing power losses and improving range

It's great to see TATA powering their way through the slowdown with good R&D work. With JLR-revenues losses bleeding them out, I just hope this works in their favor.

Last edited by Rehaan : 20th September 2019 at 17:23. Reason: Merging consecutive posts. Do see our FAQs on how to MULTI-QUOTE. :)
Old 20th September 2019, 12:53   #20
Senior - BHPian

Its possible Altroz could be the first car under Zip Tron.
Why hasn't TATA launched Altroz yet?

Also it looks like battery pack is the chassis of the vehicle, just an uneducated guess from my side.
Old 20th September 2019, 15:32   #21
Senior - BHPian

There is a full page advertisement in Times of India on this Ziptron tech. They had done a similar advertisement of the turbocharged Revtron and Revotorq engines a week before they launched the Zest and Bolt. Looks like Tata is about to launch a proper EV with respectable range soon. Fingers crossed.
NiInJa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2019, 16:21   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sri_tesla View Post
There are many front wheel drive EVs in the market including popular models like Hyundai Kona and Ioniq, Kia Niro and Soul, Chevy Bolt, BMW i3, etc... Tesla always had RWD for single motors vehicles and even for AWD models, they have more powerful motor at rear with smaller one at front. VW's new MEB platform EVs (ID3, ID4, etc...) are RWD models. Their earlier models like e-golf are FWD.

Well, I would like to say this.

Most of the IC engined cars are front wheel drives. Pure electrics some how stick to rear wheel drive.

BMW i3 is back wheel drive.

Kona comes in both petrol diesel and electric, hence front wheel drive.

Hyundai ioniq was hybrid before and hence front wheel drive.

Kia soul also has IC engine heritage with it.

Many of the Chinese electric cars, I have seen or drove are all back wheel drive.

Only exception is Chevy bolt, though different than Chevy Volt, may have some influence there..

Also electric cars tend to be heavier. Hence may be to improve ride and handling, RWD is preferred..

https://forums.tesla.com/forum/forum...nt-wheel-drive

Volkswagen Will Abandon Front-Wheel-Drive on Its New Electric Vehicles.

https://www.thedrive.com/news/25313/...ctric-vehicles

https://www.greencarreports.com/news...e-vw-exec-says
Old 20th September 2019, 21:02   #23
BHPian

While Tata is at it, they should seriously consider desiging a new logo for the electric vehicles

The current Tata logo has too much baggage and failed cars associated with it.

Admit it, the first thing that comes to mind when we see the current Tata logo is the Indica. It's also very boring and somewhat unappealing and uninspiring
ZenMaster is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th September 2019, 21:19   #24
Senior - BHPian

With India going 'rabid' about EV's, I think EV's sold in India should also come with "power banks" given the poor infrastructure.

Last edited by Durango Dude : 20th September 2019 at 21:21.
Durango Dude is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 21st September 2019, 08:21   #25
Senior - BHPian

ZipTron: Tata Motors' new EV technology brand

Unless Tata is going to be launching a full fledged electric car in the next 2-3 months, I do not see the need for Tata to create any buzz right now, not to the extent of sending out full page ads! I mean, why do it now? In all probability the car may be launched only in the Auto expo 2020, since Tata has now anyway missed the festive period launch window. And its not like a lot of other manufacturers have already introduced electric cars, so an ad was required to let people know that Tata too is on that path!

If you go back to the whole incident regarding Tata performance car division, I even forgot that name, which they later shelved completely. They announced the project with much enthusiasm and then the whole thing got dropped. Not saying this is similar to that, news paper ads are always Call-to -action oriented, so a full page news paper ad was not needed at all!

Last edited by motorworks : 21st September 2019 at 08:22.
motorworks is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2019, 13:28   #26
Senior - BHPian

Looks like the first vehicle to get this ZipTron technology will be the Nexon EV.
Quote:
So, there will be a new electric car (Nexon EV) before the launch of Altroz EV.
source - https://www.livemint.com/companies/p...847876411.html

Last edited by safari_lover : 21st September 2019 at 13:29.
Old 21st September 2019, 16:42   #27
BHPian

I'm happy atleast TATA can come out and give a route map of their progress in the EV. They can well be ahead in the race if they get the product right, sorting out all the problems and issues before launch. TATA can well make a mass market EV for India, how they succeeded with Indica
.HEM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2019, 20:21   #28
BHPian

Re: Adopting the 'One Tata' approach to develop electric vehicle ecosystem

Quote:
Originally Posted by srini1785 View Post
300V Motor? . Interesting, This means that your battery pack would also be rated at 300V DC. Considering that most of the EV motors that are in use today are less than 100V motors. Tesla model S uses a 96V motor i guess.
Tesla Model S motor is 375V. No mainstream production bev uses a 96v motor, they're all 300V+. However cheap rudimentary cars like reva or e-verito use a 96v volt motor.
Astleviz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th September 2019, 22:24   #29
BHPian

Could someone explain what is different in the Ziptron technology from other EV's in the market?

I always thought that just like most of our brands had smartly grabbed the FIAT national engine when diesels were a rage the same brands would identify an affordable solution for EV and go for it instead of coming up with their own technology. Obviously in the following years some would introduce their own versions.

With TATA zipping by with this technology I am curious if there is something unique in their approach or is it the same as the ones used by the biggies in EV? The amount of promotion they did made me feel they have come up with a novel solution. So what's the real deal?

Last edited by chittybang : 29th September 2019 at 22:25. Reason: spellcheck
Old 3rd October 2019, 13:36   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

It is official now:

- Tata Nexon EV will be launched in India, in early-2020, followed by Altoz

-Range expected to have a range of 300km.

-Price ~ ₹ 15- 17 lakhs

Will there be sufficient excitement at this price point?

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 3rd October 2019 at 13:40.
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed