Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st September 2022, 21:22   #166
BHPian

Re: Electric Cars...through the eyes of a diehard petrol-head

The ICE engine is here to stay for the next 2 decades surely.To be honest I am not a big supporter of EV until and unless its faster and convenient to charge the battery anywhere I go.Hearing the word EV now translates to range anxiety for me. For now, at least i will never be able to do a road trip in a EV as my eyes will always be on the battery percentage and the remaining range, which make it quite difficult to enjoy the drive.
apollo_1999 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2022, 22:33   #167
PGA
BHPian

The recent unfortunate accident of Mr Mistry got me thinking as to what would have happened if he was in a Tesla and not the Merc, given the standard design of an ICE car vis a vis an EV wherein the heaviest part of the car placed in the front in one and is spread across the floorboard of the other.

Also given the incorrigible idiosyncrasies of our roads I feel an EV will be more susceptible to big damages and higher costs of repair when compared to an ICE car. For the number of boulders I have gone over and the number of speed breakers and water filled potholes I have gone through in my driving life, a flat plate containing the most critical part of the car at the bottom most places does scare the hell out of me.
PGA is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th September 2022, 14:50   #168
BHPian

Name:  Electric.JPG
Views: 856
Size:  70.1 KB
Today's home page has news of an affordable sub 10 L INR mass market EV, a supercar with a 600 km range, a two wheeler with swappable batteries and to top it all a prototype of an all electric passenger plane. The future is here. I feel the exact same way today as I did in 2003 when Reliance's "karlo duniya mutthi mein" ad came out. I knew we were hurtling towards an all electric future but always assumed challenges like charging infra in apartments would take time. Seeing this homepage in the top most automotive forum has convinced me otherwise and left me a little shocked to be honest.

Last edited by Iyencar : 29th September 2022 at 14:54. Reason: punctuation, grammar and disbelief
Iyencar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th November 2022, 16:52   #169
BHPian

In today’s Mint newspaper
Attached Thumbnails
Electric Cars...through the eyes of a diehard petrol-head-df7a6ba25c4d452793468a40779e2dc1.jpeg  

ValarMorghulis is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 16th November 2022, 17:52   #170
BHPian

Comparing extra cost to investment, mentioning battery replacement cost is cunning sub-liminal anti-EV messaging to say at the least.
NG_EV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2022, 18:23   #171
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NG_EV View Post
Comparing extra cost to investment, mentioning battery replacement cost is cunning sub-liminal anti-EV messaging to say at the least.
Battery degradation is the biggest talking point by anyone anti EV or anyone ignorant towards EVs.
Everyone thinks the battery will just drop dead after X years and the car will be unusable. Which is soo wrong.

Current battery tech is very advanced, maximum degradation will be limited to 10-20% of SoH, at which the car can still be used without issues as a daily driver within city or even highways depending on the distance and initial charge.
Old 18th November 2022, 09:34   #172
BHPian

A grid support solution - Using EVs to support other EVs.

Quote:
As large vehicles like school buses and commercial fleets continue to electrify, the opportunity grows for these vehicles to serve as crucial, flexible grid resources to support a more reliable, affordable and efficient energy system. Greater volumes of these vehicles on the road comes at a critical time, as peak energy demand challenges California’s grid and novel solutions like V2G emerge.
Source: https://www.businesswire.com/news/ho...ctric-Vehicles
Old 18th November 2022, 13:43   #173
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRandomGuy View Post

Current battery tech is very advanced, maximum degradation will be limited to 10-20% of SoH, ....
Although i cannot say about automotive batteries, SoH for Li-ion batteries is upto 40% over 4 years in industrial applications (byd etc). Warranty offered is for 8/ 10 years but the usable range might drop considerably after initial years. This does cause range anxiety more than battery going dead altogether.

Last edited by Sheel : 19th November 2022 at 10:48. Reason: Broken quote tag fixed. Thanks.
Old 19th November 2022, 10:28   #174
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rennjit View Post
Although i cannot say about automotive batteries, SoH for Li-ion batteries is upto 40% over 4 years in industrial applications (byd etc). Warranty offered is for 8/ 10 years but the usable range might drop considerably after initial years. This does cause range anxiety more than battery going dead altogether.
That is why automotive batteries are significantly different in many aspects, like battery chemistry, active cooling and sophisticated battery management system. AFAIK, these are not there in Li-ion batteries even in industrial use.
Old 12th December 2022, 14:52   #175
BHPian

Times of India - Dec 11 2022

Karnataka government may end 100% road tax exemption for EVs

Read more at:
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/a...campaign=cppst
Old 13th December 2022, 18:41   #176
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randamoozham View Post
Times of India - Dec 11 2022

Karnataka government may end 100% road tax exemption for EVs
If enacted by Karnataka, other states would quickly follow suit, which will significantly slow down the adoption of EVs. I hope the exemption will last for at least a further year or two.
Old 16th December 2022, 08:35   #177
Senior - BHPian

Check out this insane drag race!
No spoilers just go ahead and watch it.

Jason Cammissa and the team are simply phenomenal.
Turbohead is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 6th June 2023, 08:07   #178
Distinguished - BHPian

The so well tagged phrase "environment friendliness" that goes along with EV's has been ripped apart by this author on World Environment Day 2023.

He says "In advance of the Cop26 climate conference in Glasgow in 2021, Volvo released figures claiming that greenhouse gas emissions during production of an electric car are nearly 70% higher than when manufacturing a petrol one. How so? The problem lies with the lithium-ion batteries fitted currently to nearly all electric vehicles: they’re absurdly heavy, many rare earth metals and huge amounts of energy are required to make them, and they are estimated to last upwards of 10 years. It seems a perverse choice of hardware with which to lead the automobile’s fight against the climate crisis."

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...rowan-atkinson
Old 8th June 2023, 15:26   #179
Senior - BHPian

It's pure fun (atleast in this case from a comedian) to see someone saying Hydrogen fuel cell or Synthetic fuels are the future.

Here is the Fact check.
Quote:
A few of Atkinson’s other claims are worth mentioning.

He says EV batteries only last “about 10 years”. Yet “most modern lithium-ion units are likely to last the lifetime of the car”, according to Autocar. Tesla’s batteries are “designed to outlast the vehicle”.

He complains that new cars are only kept for three years before being sold. Yet he does not reference the secondhand market, and the fact that British people are keeping their cars for longer than ever.

He claims that it is better to keep running old petrol cars than to replace them with EVs. Yet a new EV would start benefiting the climate in less than four years, relative to an old combustion engine.

He claims that lithium-ion batteries contain rare earth elements. They do not.

The alternatives he promotes are not yet widely available, are less beneficial for the environment – and are thermodynamically guaranteed to be much more costly.

In contrast, and contrary to Atkinson’s central claim, EVs already offer significant emissions savings – and their widespread use is central to meeting UK and global climate goals.
https://www.theguardian.com/environm...ctric-vehicles
SKC-auto is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2023, 10:26   #180
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKC-auto View Post
It's pure fun (atleast in this case from a comedian) to see someone saying Hydrogen fuel cell or Synthetic fuels are the future.

Here is the Fact check.

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...ctric-vehicles
Good that there is a fact check on Atkinsons claim but I really do not understand why people cannot see through the propaganda.

I am a big fan of atkinson particulary his blackadder series. But I would not take him seriously on his EV advice. He is a known car enthusiast (had come in an episode of top gear) and for an enthusiast, EV is a let down. Who does not love the fun of driving a manual transmission car (heart wins over brain situation) ? One should not take advice from a known car enthusiast on whether to buy and EV or not.

That EV is more polluting than ICE falls in the "not even wrong" category of things. If you count all possible emission for an EV including mining and manufacturing, why are you discounting it for the ICEs ? Does petrol reach your car magically ? Is an ICE cars put together with a magic wand ? Is it so difficult to smell the BS in this propaganda ?

The fact of the matter is that BEVs are superior technology to ICEs on, as far as I see, every possible aspect, be it on the driving side (better refinement, zero NVH, high and instant torque) or on the convenience side (true automatic, "fuel pump" at home situation). While infrastructure issues and relatively higher initial costs might make it impractical for certain use cases, but for a lot of people, particularly in states like Kerala where independent house is a common affair and highway charging options are reasonable, the deal is done.
electric_eel is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks