Team-BHP > Electric Cars

Search this Thread
Old 10th October 2019, 09:18   #16
BHPian

re: Tata Motors launches Tigor EV with extended range at Rs 12.59 lakh

The only good way to do Electric Cars, or for that matter, giving any novelty features to cars is by taking the Top-Down approach.

That is how it has been done historically. All the features that we see on Mass Market cars have come through the Top-Down approach. Be it something as basic as Power windows to high end features like Panoramic Sunroof. Everything came in the more expensive cars first and then trickled down into the lower segments as differentiators/USPs by 1 manufacturer.

This approach shows in Kona and it's perceived VFM even though it is twice the price of Tigor EV. Tata doesn't have the brand equity to sell 20lac vehicles in large numbers. Had they done well with the Harrier, Tata would have been in a much better position to do the Harrier EV at a price similar to the Kona, but for a much larger vehicle.

In its current form, the Tigor EV is yet another Alpha test and doomed for failure.
antz.bin is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th October 2019, 09:48   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanolover View Post
Yup. Double the price double the range and stuff probably? But still feel too steep a price. If it was <10 l ex showroom would have found it reasonable value. But still 41 bhp compared to kona's 136 hp.? 452 Kms (arai) Vs 231 (again arai) ?

Just my point of view sirs. That's all.
Less than 10 lakhs for a Tigor EV? We have customers buying Dzires and Amazes at 11 lakhs or so. Tata made a big mistake pricing the Tigor Petrol so well that the Electric version seems overpriced. The should have increased the price of the petrol Tigor close to its competition, with the top end just under 10lakhs, so people will feel the EV to be a VFM.

12 Lakhs for a car if it does atleast 150 kms will be excellent . Do consider the fact that EVs have no gears, and an Amaze Diesel CVT costs 11.5Lakhs, and electricity is cheaper than diesel although as of now it still pollutes.

An ideal car for cities, villages, where there is 24x7 electricity and the nearest petrol pump is miles away and your daily journey to and from work is under 100km.
Aditya_Bhp is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 10th October 2019, 09:53   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanolover View Post
Yup. Double the price double the range and stuff probably? But still feel too steep a price. If it was <10 l ex showroom would have found it reasonable value.
Do account for the fact that some states have 0 road tax for battery operated vehicles. I know Maharashtra as one and I think others like Delhi and Tamil Nadu too have no road tax for EVs.
blackwasp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th October 2019, 09:55   #19
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by parth.jain View Post
Range of ~213kms is decent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by padmrajravi View Post
I think this will find a few takers. Most office commutes are 60-80 kms up and down.
ARAI's EV ranges are way off the charts! ARAI certified the Kona for 452 km (no one in the world did), but the Hyundai has a realistic city range of 250 - 270 km. Based on the same, I would say that the Tigor EV has a 110 - 130 km driving range.

Grossly overpriced. Most of its buyers will be fleets who are doing it for image or PR purposes.
GTO is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 10th October 2019, 10:02   #20
Senior - BHPian

Comparing any EV with an IC engine car is a pointless exercise AT THIS STAGE ( i.e. until mass acceptance and the infra catches us - the same way people thought horse carts were better when IC cars had just come in ).

The Tigor EV addresses that part of the market which is already prepared to go for an EV but was struggling/waiting for choices. In that sense, it offers something for the average middle class person with a environmental bent of mind - period.

The rest of the junta can visit the most popular showroom in town and pick up a tin box of their choice and count the Kms/litre.

Last edited by narayan : 10th October 2019 at 10:04.
narayan is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 10th October 2019, 11:23   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
ARAI's EV ranges are way off the charts! ARAI certified the Kona for 452 km (no one in the world did), but the Hyundai has a realistic city range of 250 - 270 km. Based on the same, I would say that the Tigor EV has a 110 - 130 km driving range.

Grossly overpriced. Most of its buyers will be fleets who are doing it for image or PR purposes.
E-Verito has the same range and priced higher at 13.5 lakhs in Bangalore. But I am starting to see quite a few of them in my daily commute. All of them are from fleet operators like Lithium.

So Tigor EV should be a much better deal for these operators.
fordday is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th October 2019, 11:25   #22
BHPian

I wouldnt take any EV seriously until it offers a range of at least 400km on a single recharge. Anything less than that wouldnt be practical. Hyundai got it right with Kona. I hope Tata and other Indian car makers get it right too.

My diesel ertiga has a capacity of carrying 40+ liters of fuel at once and assuming a modest mileage of 13 kmpl, the range would be over 500km. I hope the new generation electric vehicles match up this to make them more practical and attractive.
n_naik is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th October 2019, 11:57   #23
BHPian

OT, I had a fundamental question:

What prevents manufacturers from providing interchangeable batteries? Meaning, if the battery is running out, I can go the nearest "battery bunk" and replace it with a fully charged one in less than 5 mins, for a price of course, instead of going to a charging point and waiting for 30mins+ to charge sufficiently. Is there a technical reason why this is not being done?
Old 10th October 2019, 13:35   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by guunbuu View Post
OT, I had a fundamental question:

What prevents manufacturers from providing interchangeable batteries? Meaning, if the battery is running out, I can go the nearest "battery bunk" and replace it with a fully charged one in less than 5 mins, for a price of course, instead of going to a charging point and waiting for 30mins+ to charge sufficiently. Is there a technical reason why this is not being done?
There are technical + Non-technical reasons for the same.

Technical:

1) Interchangeable batteries are heavy compared to integrated/embedded ones. In EVs, weight is the most important thing that influences the 'range' after the size of the batteries.
2) Those are less 'safe' relatively. Easy to catch fire on an impact and/or cause more damage due to leaking materials. Integrated ones have lesser damage capability on account of design. Of-course these aspects can be covered if the same R&D efforts are directed towards them but the it will add to the weight further.
3) Those are expense batteries and hence will be theft prone. Easy to remove ones will make it easy for everyone - including thieves

Non-technical:

1) Change of business dynamics. Integrated batteries are protected by a plethora of patents. Interchangeable batteries will make the entry barriers too low for new comers. I mean how difficult it is to assemble a motor with a body and wheels and the just put in a battery. Not saying that integrated batteries will stop anyone from copying the design but one more barrier will never be hurtful to have

Last edited by sunilch : 10th October 2019 at 13:38.
sunilch is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th October 2019, 13:46   #25
Senior - BHPian

Nice to see Tata leading here! Nexon EV would be even better with more power/range!
I bet we will see charging stations growing exponentially with some VC/PE money coming in!

How much would an i20 EV with a range of 250 cost? I am assuming 12-14K OTR Bangalore!
Equus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2019, 13:46   #26
Senior - BHPian

"Fill it Shut it Forget it" the Hero Honda Ad tagline sums up the ICE vehicles. The EV's: "Open the charging port plug in the charger have your meal, snooze and by that time your mood to drive is all but gone..." On top of that add the cost of owning one with almost "zilch" infrastructure: no one in his/her right senses would buy one, especially from the "homegrown" brigade: with their almost primitive small capacity battery packs and tech. and grossly under powered motors and even then they cost something like "premium ICE sedan" money!

Last edited by Durango Dude : 10th October 2019 at 13:50.
Old 10th October 2019, 15:19   #27
BHPian

Oh the infrastructure..

You don't need an entire new infrastructure to have EVs. The infrastructure already exist, its called 'the Grid'. All you need is accessible plug points. This can be done pretty quickly. And if you are talking about rapid DC chargers, even they aren't that expensive or require major construction.

All we need is EVs that can do 250+ km in all conditions on a full charge and that can be rapid charged under an hour. This will cater to the needs of the taxi industry and that's where we need electrification immediately. By the time the cabs are converted, we'll have tech that can convert private passenger cars. But private passenger cars should be charged a congestion fee for the resources they hog at least in the cities and that'll probably democratize transportation for everyone.

Self driving a car to work and back is so overrated.
sreeharipv is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th October 2019, 20:28   #28
BHPian

I had test driven Mahindra E2O EV 4 Door last year and was almost buying it for Rs 7 Lacs however my family did not like the ride quality and had to pick a Baleno Delta CVT Automatic Petrol

Great entry for Tata Tigor EV with 200 KM Range per charge for daily office and city commute however smaller cars with Electric Motor & Battery shall give higher range

An Electric- Nano,Alto,Kwid,Spresso,Redigo,Tiago,Santro is what we need for daily office & city commute

How is Mahindra E-Verito what is the range per charge and Top Speed?

Hyundai Kona Electric is out of budget for most @ Rs 25 Lacs however its a great SUV with no fuel or maintenance cost
amarprusty is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2019, 22:38   #29
Senior - BHPian

Tata Motors lost a great opportunity when they launched a puny engine for Tigor. Such a good looking vehicle, and they almost squandered it. Post BS VI, they do have an opportunity... Spruce up the engine department with BS VI competent engine. It may become next best seller
simplyself is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2019, 09:50   #30
BHPian

I believe our manufacturers are totally missing the point when it comes to EVs. As of now EVs are at best second cars in the garage.. for office commutes, grocery runs, city runs that sort of thing.. in bangalore an end to end city trip is at max 100 kms.. also you don't need very big vehicles as speeds aren't all that high. However, for most families a costly second car is a problem, when they can perfectly use the likes of an alto K10 with AMT.. I currently use a Nexon Diesel AMT as my running is 1500 KM's a month. 900 of them in the city for office and 600 on highway trips. I would have loved to own a comfortable petrol sedan, CSUV for highway trips and the small compact electric car for office commutes. This way I save the premium on the diesel motor, pollute a little less. A Tata Nano Electric or a smaller car with a range of 100 KM's at around 4L -5L would have been perfect for me and I suspect a lot of other families with disposable income to own two cars. Rather than this odd even rules, incentivising a small electric car would work better as the pollution is nearer the power stations which are away from the city. Coming to the Tata Tigor EV, it's nether here nor there . I can't use it for my highway trips and it is expensive for a second car in the garage.
charanreddy is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed