Team-BHP > Electric Cars

View Poll Results: Why wouldn't you consider buying an EV today?
Purchase cost is too Expensive 229 34.08%
Not enough options 142 21.13%
Limited battery range 226 33.63%
Inadequate charging facilities 267 39.73%
Uncertainty of battery life and repair costs after 5-7 years 156 23.21%
All of the above 307 45.68%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 672. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 13th September 2021, 11:20   #136
BHPian

Re: What are the reasons you won't buy an EV today?

I have the following argument to put forward:

1. India's auto industry is not doing well right now with new rules/policies, increasing input costs, semiconductor shortage etc. Its a perfect storm for them.
2. In order to perfect the EV tech, it will take a ton of capital investment. And a few iterations of innovation. Tech obsolescence will be high during initial iterations.
3. Our Govt is providing incentives for improving investment climate in favor of EV with a ton of subsidies and PLI schemes.
4. The new startups and other power companies that are working on setting up charging stations are not being incented to setup more stations and at low costs.
5. There are disincentives to the Auto sector to continue their traditional business as well due to new rules/policies.

So, govt is skewing the auto industry to migrate to EV. And all the while ignoring their demands for better sops to survive the current perfect storm. If some such sops were handed out Ford may not have exited India.

While the incentives for EV tech are laudable, their timing is wrong. Govt should focus on improving the health of the Auto sector before pushing them on for EV adoption.

Regards,
lsjey
lsjey is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2021, 15:59   #137
BHPian

I am all for EVs but until they become mainstream (or the govt forces me to buy one) I am happy running IC engines.

The reason is that I simply do not want to be under constant stress of whether the charge is enough and will I find a charging station. Also even at home, the charging point is at the mercy of MSEDCL which cuts off electricity even at the smell of rains.

The situation on roads today is stressful enough and I do not want to add to it the anxiety of driving an EV even on city roads.
Old 13th September 2021, 16:11   #138
BHPian

Voted for All of the above option.
Mainly because I stay at eastern Assam.
Forget about EV charging facilities/Infrastructures, We don't have uninterrupted power for home usage.
Even automatic transmission is not a popular option among people here.

Few options to buy, Nexon EV or Tigor EV. Thats it.
As I already ranted, charging facilities are non-existent. Not too worried about repairing after 7 years cause I won't be keeping the car for more than 5 years.
And a major issue is the Range. The current options have a range of 200kms on an average. Good enough for daily commutes but not for weekend trips. And with our monsoons and power cuts, Daily usage might also be a issue.
So, Nope, Not getting a EV anytime soon

Last edited by dr_TJ : 13th September 2021 at 16:12.
Old 13th September 2021, 16:14   #139
BHPian

Will surely switch over to Ev once it become mainstream. Till then fossil fuel engines or hybrids are the way to go. Unfortunately the infrastructure is still not visible in public !
Old 14th September 2021, 10:43   #140
Distinguished - BHPian

My fossil fuel cars are in good running condition and have a lot of life left. That is why no EV for me right now.

Hopefully, by the time I start looking for a new car, the EV charging infra would be well developed and cars with 500 kms of usable range would be available.
Old 14th September 2021, 11:09   #141
BHPian

Top of my mind, these are my top 5 reasons:

1. I don't want to be a paid beta tester
2. reliability unknown (>3 yrs)
3. lack of standardization, let it stabilize in the next 5 years
4. Reasons (going green) are not compelling yet, when a major part of power production is still through fossil fuels and battery disposal is still a concern
5. Expensive and inferior to their gas cousins
smartindboy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th September 2021, 11:17   #142

I would have voted "All of the above".
We generally drive long distances for touring purpose. Thus I will add one more factor of on-road assistance incase some problem arises during the trip. We wont find many knowledgeable technicians on highways and in smaller towns.
Old 14th September 2021, 13:05   #143

Re: What's stopping you from going electric?

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi.mariner View Post
I work in the Oil and Gas Industry. Cannot be unfaithful to my profession.
I liked it.

My reasons of not buying electric car or bike are as mentioned below:

1. Too expensive

2. Limited options to choose from

3. Unavailability in tier 3 cities

4. Poor infrastructure for charging and servicing

5. ? Long term reliability

6. Govt should come up with firm and uniform subsidy across states to promote it

Regards
Kiran Joshi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2021, 10:06   #144
Senior - BHPian

Re: BHPians experience on EV Charging Stations across India (especially non-metros)

My first ever post on EV section. While EV’s range was a major discussing topic, I believe it can aggravate a bit from infrastructure support standpoint if the country’s electricity producing plants themselves run out of raw materials to produce electricity. I still believe ICE can be around for next 20 years but we will soon eat up electricity too

https://www.ndtv.com/india-news/ener...akamai-rum=off
Old 26th November 2021, 16:19   #145
Senior - BHPian

As of now all the listed options are deterrents to buying an EV. Especially for people who go on frequent long drives, the range and charging infrastructure are major concerns.
Old 26th November 2021, 17:05   #146
Senior - BHPian

Re: BHPians experience on EV Charging Stations across India (especially non-metros)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gururajrv View Post
My first ever post on EV section. While EV’s range was a major discussing topic, I believe it can aggravate a bit from infrastructure support standpoint if the country’s electricity producing plants themselves run out of raw materials to produce electricity. I still believe ICE can be around for next 20 years but we will soon eat up electricity too
In which case, how do we refine crude without electricity, to refine 1L of oil needs 1.3kwh of electricity. The coal crisis is a warning sign for govt to move away from coal and bring more investments in Solar and Wind power generation.

Mod Note: The 2024 Edition of this thread has been taken live at this link. Please continue the discussion over on the new thread. Thanks!

Last edited by Omkar : 23rd February 2024 at 14:48. Reason: Linking the new thread
Closed Thread

Most Viewed