Team-BHP > Electric Cars

View Poll Results: Why wouldn't you consider buying an EV today?
Purchase cost is too Expensive 218 35.10%
Not enough options 135 21.74%
Limited battery range 207 33.33%
Inadequate charging facilities 249 40.10%
Uncertainty of battery life and repair costs after 5-7 years 146 23.51%
All of the above 282 45.41%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 621. You may not vote on this poll

Old 24th October 2019, 21:54   #76
BHPian

Default Re: What are the reasons you won't buy an EV today?

The existing infrastructure for charging and the products available right now do not make it viable for purchasing as a primary car. I would not buy an EV right now because I have just 1 parking space in my building. Otherwise it would have been a good city run about. Also sometimes I forget to charge my phone before going out; but I can carry a power bank and charge it on the move. It would be a difficult situation if I forget to charge my car or if there is a power cut.
Old 24th October 2019, 23:03   #77
BHPian

Voted for "all of the above" option. I am a person used to driving diesel and like its characteristics. So, never really wanted to change even into a petrol option, let alone EV. I too believe that there is more to driving than just moving from point A to point B. I never want it to be a drive totally uneventful and never remembered, especially the drives on the highways.

We can also, that is, in addition to EVs, think of limiting the hazardous issues caused by these traditional fuels used for running vehicles.

Last edited by Vipin Kumar : 24th October 2019 at 23:04.
Old 25th October 2019, 00:55   #78
Senior - BHPian

The range anxiety on long drives (especially with lesser regenerative braking) needs to be added to the options.

Anyways, came across this :-

https://motor-junkie.com/20-reasons-...wj64WlcPVavR7Q
Old 25th October 2019, 18:14   #79
BHPian

My only concern is Long charging times. I don't mind a short range (~200 KMs) if the car can be charged up in 20 minutes or so, that'd probably be good for the body.

Yes, I hear Elon Musk screaming that he'd give us EVs with gasoline-car like range, but guess what Mr. Musk, I really don't want to have lunch for 3+ hours while my car charges while travelling between Bangalore and Mumbai.

However, consumers who buy a second car, just for city commutes should definitely consider one. Not only will it build awareness, but would also encourage manufacturers to enter EVs in mainstream market rather than as niche products.
nerd1200 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2019, 18:19   #80

Why would I need to buy an EV?

If the public transport system is good enough and reliable, then you do not need a car for 100% of your daily commute and 90% of the travelling needs in the city (going to the restaurant/shopping). The car that you own will only be needed for long distance travelling or leisure drives to the countryside.

If the public transport system is not good enough, then I would say it is of utmost importance to fix that first, than finding out ways to make the EV mainstream.

The government's failure to provide a proper public transport system is the sole reason why most people drive their cars daily for commuting.

And talking of cars for the autobahn/highways, I think even the Tesla Model S is not sufficient for some of the folks I know (including me). For example, here in Germany, my wife and me usually drive from Hamburg to Hannover(twice a month), which is like 200 kms one way, Hamburg to Berlin (twice a month), which is also like 230 kms one way). In all cases, I just tank up from the gas station beside my house early in the morning and just drive straight to the destination, park my car at ANY available space, do my business and then drive straight back home. Total distance travelled comes to around 500 kms a day, which is totally without any stress or rush. The car used, my humble Skoda Fabia (75ps, nothing great). Now, if I have an EV, I will have to search for a charging port enabled parking, which is scarce even in Germany. Moreover, on thinking practically, since I plan to use my car till the end of it's life and the use being mostly on the autobahn, I would be having less/comparable carbon footprint than the guy who drives an EV everyday to work in the city, with much less of a worry.

I strongly believe that India needs a reliable and reasonably comfortable and affordable public transport system much more than any EVs out there.
Old 25th October 2019, 18:50   #81
Senior - BHPian

Here's my perspective on the options on the poll:

Purchase cost is too Expensive:This is an issue. Although there are cheaper EVs around at this time, the question is how much do I need to spend on a similarly sized ICE car with similar features? I had done lease cost calculations for the e-Golf sometime back. What I found is that my lease cost for a diesel Golf + fuel cost will still be less that the lease cost of an e-Golf. I haven't done these calculations recently, but looking at the prices of available EVs, I guess not much has changed.

Not enough options: Not true in my case. There are quite a few options available in the market.

Limited battery range: This is an issue, but not a major one. In my car usage over the last 5 years, I have done about 95% of my driving in the city.

Uncertainty of battery life and repair costs after 5-7 years: Not an issue as I have the option to lease rather than buy.

Inadequate charging facilities: This is another concern. There are a few charging points in my office and a few charging points are available in various malls. However, I don't have a proper charging facility in my apartment and there is no wide-spread charging network to speak of in Finland. I think the government focus on EVs is way less than in Sweden or Norway. Hopefully, this will change within the next 3-5 years.

When the time to replace my lease car arrives, it's very likely that I will go for a PHEV, but not sure it's time for a pure EV.
Old 25th October 2019, 19:13   #82
Distinguished - BHPian

All of the above PLUS the question of whether using electricity produced by fossil fuel combustion instead of the fossil fuel itself is actually significantly lowering carbon footprint!
noopster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2019, 19:16   #83
BHPian

I voted cost too high and lack of charging infrastructure.
The latter would be resolved with time, when there are enough EVs plying our cities. Might not be in the near future.

But a greater point of deterrent for me is the charging time. I like to make spur of the moment road trips, and unless I have the ease of recharging the batteries in 10 minutes max, like I can with an IC car.
Until then, no matter how environmentally conscious you are, you'll need that one IC car at least for the unplanned trip or emergency.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
All of the above PLUS the question of whether using electricity produced by fossil fuel combustion instead of the fossil fuel itself is actually significantly lowering carbon footprint!

Also, this. People need to take into account well-to-wheel carbon footprint.

Last edited by GrandTourer : 25th October 2019 at 19:18.
GrandTourer is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2019, 19:29   #84
Senior - BHPian

Isn't 450 Kms on the Kona gasoline kind of range? Yes we would like the charge time to be shorter, and really snappy, but then there is Physics obstructing you. I'm rooting for Hydrogen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nerd1200 View Post
My only concern is Long charging times.Yes, I hear Elon Musk screaming that he'd give us EVs with gasoline-car like range, but guess what Mr. Musk, I really don't want to have lunch for 3+ hours while my car charges while travelling between Bangalore and Mumbai
Old 25th October 2019, 19:36   #85
BHPian

I voted all of the above. But being expensive and limited range along with charging time are foremost concerns.

Even though charging infra grows exponentially, charging times are still a concern. Cost of replacing the battery pack and the charging time may come down with newer technologies being adopted, also there could be a significant improvement in range, but for time being the EV option could be best used for cities, the same way the EV scooters are used - for those who travel less kilometres per day the the range.
Old 25th October 2019, 19:45   #86
BHPian

Voted for - All of the Above

Although RANGE ANXIETY is the biggest deterrent to mass adoption of EVs.

Imagine what you can do when your ICE car or bike runs out of fuel on the road?
What are the reasons you won't buy an EV today?-screenshot_20191025193450_chrome.jpg
What are the reasons you won't buy an EV today?-screenshot_20191025200257_chrome.jpg
What are the reasons you won't buy an EV today?-screenshot_20191025200347_chrome.jpg

Getting a bottle of fuel from the nearest Gas station or borrowing some fuel from a helpful passerby would save your day.
Also these are quick, easy and affordable options.

Now imagine, What can you do when your EV car runs out of battery in the middle of your journey?
What are the reasons you won't buy an EV today?-screenshot_20191025192523_chrome.jpg

You have to call the RSA and tow the vehicle to the nearest charging station.

Here is an interesting review of such a situation-

Quote:
To ensure safety, and keep disruption for others to a minimum, I planned to run out of power, and even planned where and when. This was no accident.

With a sharp jolt, the Leaf activated Turtle Power .. which cuts the power available to the bare minimum.

Name:  Screenshot_20191025192651_Chrome.jpg
Views: 679
Size:  74.9 KB
Quote:
If you need to push the car to safety, there’s no power steering.
Article Source
Google Images
Old 26th October 2019, 08:57   #87
BHPian

At present there is nothing positive about buying an EV; be it cost, maintenance, used market etc.. There is hardly any proper infrastructure in place for people to confidently buy one. Only thing worthwhile about it is that it just shifts the pollution from cities to the power plants (majority still coal based) located in city outskirts & remote locations.
Old 27th October 2019, 07:56   #88
BHPian

Give me a EV which can recharge fully within 10 mins, gives me atleast 600 usable km of range, is reliable and doesn't sound like an airport transfer cart (electric motor whine), then I may look at electric transport. Else it's diesel power all the way.
AirbusCapt is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th October 2019, 10:12   #89
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

The poll should have long charging time as a deterrent option. For me that's the only deterrant as of now. People might tell me all about charging every night and while in office , but what if I have an emergency and need to get somewhere immediately. May be a relative needs help or even a family member gets sick at midnight. EVs currently make sense only as a second car.
padmrajravi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2019, 11:38   #90

My reasons would be little different here, being 90s kid and admiring the power and sound of a V8, its still a dream to own one. Don't take me wrong I am all in for the EVs and cleaner environment but somewhere we have missed something. People in the west side of the planet earth have already enjoyed their share of V8s, V10s and V12s and contributed enough to the global pollution.
I as an enthusiast would want to own one V8, at least for a short period and then look towards the silent EVs, and hopefully by then EVs will be much more refined and advance as a product including the supporting infrastructure here in India.

Most Viewed