Team-BHP > Electric Cars

Search this Thread
Old 23rd October 2019, 01:20   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Petrol-head is dead, long live...? What do you call a fan of EVs?

Gentlemen, Ladies,

Many of us see ourselves as true petrol heads. There is no universal definition. It means whatever you would like it to be.

But I reckon you enjoy cars in the broadest sense possible. You like driving, you like reading up on cars, you like talking about cars. You like looking at cars. You are a member of a car forum, such as TeamBHP. You might actually own a car, although this is not necessarily required to see yourself as a petrol head.

But no matter what; petrol as it stands is on its way out. Yes, that is a hard pill to swallow. Those of you who have followed some of my posts over the years will know that mentally as far as cars concerned I am still stuck in some vintage car time warp. So not filling up with petrol is just completely alien to me. I am still trying to figure out wonky carburators.

But even I have to face the fact that it is very likely I might have to own a non-IC car in the not so distant future. I do not like it, I might not even post about it because of "oh the shame"!!!! It feels like a total dishonour, letting the good side down. Of course, I am as green as the next guy, but could we please make everything else green before turning to cars?

It is not going to happen: we need to re visit that what binds all of us. We are all petrol heads, in our own definition.

What are we going to call ourselves going forward when all of us are driving some electrical contraption?

Somehow, I feel E-heads just does not cut it.

Your suggestions please!

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (42) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2019, 06:23   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Petrol-head is dead, long live...? What do you call a fan of EVs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
But no matter what; petrol as it stands is on its way out. ... mentally as far as cars concerned I am still stuck in some vintage car time warp. So not filling up with petrol is just completely alien to me. I am still trying to figure out wonky carburators.
Jeroen, has it occurred to you that quite a few of us will also stop driving as this beautiful age of petrol winds down ? We have been petrol heads, and that is because of being driven by the same petrol. The newer generation sees transportation - and even vehicle ownership in a different way. I wont even answer your question about what I would call myself if we start to have electric cars
condor is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2019, 10:24   #3
BHPian

re: Petrol-head is dead, long live...? What do you call a fan of EVs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
...The newer generation sees transportation - and even vehicle ownership in a different way...
Spot on. The car will eventually become an appliance much like a fridge or microwave.
I, for one, cannot wait to transition to electric. The smell of petrol/diesel/cng is not exactly pleasant and I've been fuming at exhaust fumes since the days of my first two stroke moped in the early 90s.
In India or any other developing country, those of us who like to drive long distance will still have to put up with (or enjoy, depending on where you stand) the presence of an IC engined vehicle in our garages for a while. City drivers will shift to EVs because they make much more sense. Eventually the car will become a bit of a curiosity. This was the case in India up until the 90s anyway. Those in their 40s will remember the excitement and gossip a new car caused back then.
The biggest hurdle I see is coming up with a catchy enough alternative to the word petrolhead.
Roy.S is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2019, 10:26   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Petrol-head is dead, long live...? What do you call a fan of EVs?

I'm 42 and am pretty sure that petrol cars are going to be around in my lifetime. At least, for a majority of the driving years I have left .

EV fans should be called "torque-heads"! The instant torque from powerful EVs is simply mind-blowing.

Must-Read Thread
GTO is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2019, 11:01   #5
Team-BHP Support

Based on the motor - Magno-heads
Based on the sound - Whine-tasters
Based on the emission - ZeroHeros
Based on the credentials - Greenbeans
Based on the environmental lust - Elecherous
ajmat is offline   (41) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2019, 11:10   #6
BHPian

Petrol-head indeed is 'almost' dead. How about the rise of an "electric-head!"

I don't get why there must be an air of the gloom over the changing technology. One fuel form to another (petrol/diesel to batteries); Engines to motors; Gallons to kW-h; I think we are good all the way.

The exhaust note will probably at some point be replaced by a sound-track which possibly could be tuned much more readily.

There would also be enough variety (spice) to keep folks engaged - output power characteristics; torque-speed characteristics; multi-motor setups; breakthrough technologies in batteries and motors; controller and management system; etc.

Although I have not yet had a chance to drive an EV, from the looks of it, it appears we will not really be missing out on anything. Personally, I am looking forward to the EV tech for now...with arms wide open!
Miyata is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2019, 11:15   #7
BHPian

Well, As many have said, we won't be missing ICE cars too much.

Coming to the topic, the best name I could think of would be "Motor-heads"

Nav-i-gator is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2019, 11:19   #8
Senior - BHPian

Electroheads! Sounds pretty cool.
reignofchaos is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2019, 11:26   #9
Team-BHP Support

I take all that save-the-environment thing, but just yesterday I was watching a review of the Taycan, and it was like something is seriously missing there - an eerily silent porsche!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I'm 42 and am pretty sure that petrol cars are going to be around in my lifetime. At least, for a majority of the driving years I have left .
Same age and I also think the same

Quote:
EV fans should be called "torque-heads"! The instant torque from powerful EVs is simply mind-blowing.
Or maybe a electric-head!
vb-saan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2019, 11:41   #10
BHPian

Quote:

Must-Read Thread
I'm on the 28th lap of the Circuit de Solar, and I'm pretty sure that there will be that odd petrol car during the end of my driving years too, as long as I'm in India.

The reason being I'm skeptical about the 100% of EVs here, unless the well-to-wheel carbon footprint can be brought down.

Also, torque-head, motorhead sound good. Plus one: torque-nuts.
GrandTourer is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2019, 11:41   #11
BHPian

"Lithium-heads"

At the moment, even the basic EVs are beyond my means or have rather interesting IC alternatives for the same price. Thus, I rarely spare a thought for Electric cars. Weirdly, when I come around to think of them, it's not the IC engine but the manual gearbox that I'll sorely miss.

Last edited by mi2n : 23rd October 2019 at 11:48.
mi2n is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2019, 12:18   #12
BHPian

Voltheads / Ampheads.

I, like many here , like the ICE in a motorcycle more than a car and also in a vintage time wrap. Hard to think that one day i won't have any petrol to make me take my rides out on road. However, being a fan of anything related to electricals ( being a EE engr myself), i am very enthusiastic about finding myself in familiar territory in the future.
srini1785 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2019, 13:17   #13
Senior - BHPian

We always used to keep three cars at home.
One diesel for me which does 50-150 km in city and around every day, and about two same day return trips for business to places like Mumbai, Aurangabad, Solapur, Kolhapur Belgaon, Vapi, Valsad etc. This works out to between 30,000 to 40,000 km a year.
Second for my Dad, preferably a automatic which runs less than 5000km a year.
Third with a driver for mother, wife, daughter picking and dropping guest etc which does upto 10,000 km a year.
Last year and half, I've been using only two cars, one for me and one for the rest, and no driver. With EV's having 200+ range, I can forgo the diesel car, and use it for the 25 days I am in and around Pune, and the days I'm going further just exchange the car with the one my family uses. A 1000 or so km of highway run will be good for the petrol car which usually does not exit city too.

Rahul
Rahul Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2019, 14:30   #14
Senior - BHPian

I too am very disappointed that ICE's are going to be replaced by EV's. But it's going to take it's own sweet time in India.

Until then we may be able to purchase a few petrol powered cars to drive and enjoy, so Petrol Heads need not worry about being called eco-heads or Electro-heads because we rather not be called by those abominable names.
stanjohn123 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2019, 18:36   #15
BHPian

"CHARGESEEKERS".... eventually, in India, it will be about successfully finding and reaching that functional charging station which has not yet failed due to:
1) over use of the Chademo , CCS or Type 2 connector tether. They have a life of a few 1000 cycles under harsh operations and weather!
2) Or, the charger power modules failing due to extreme weathers (Silicon Carbide and GaN fails too...)
3) the OCPP or the backend not authenticating properly the user due to congestion in the cloud.... leading to frustration and banging the front panel and breaking the display (it is IK10 rated for mechanical shock)
4) traffic pileups...for charging!

5) all in Indian context.... ; finally true and practical charging station inter operability! Petrol and diesel pumps are "interoperable"...

Last edited by lapis_lazuli : 23rd October 2019 at 18:59.
lapis_lazuli is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed