Team-BHP - The Ford Mustang Mach-E
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Electric Cars (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/electric-cars/)
-   -   The Ford Mustang Mach-E (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/electric-cars/214568-ford-mustang-mach-e.html)

CAD renderings of the Ford Mustang-inspired electric SUV have leaked online. Reports indicate that the car could be called the Ford Mustang Mach-E.

The Ford Mustang Mach-E-mustang-ev-2.jpg

According to the leaked renders, the SUV will get Mustang-style headlights and a closed-off grille with a Mustang logo. At the rear, it gets triple LED tail lights inspired by the Mustang and a sloping rear windscreen like the Mustang Fastback. The report also claims that this is 98% of what the car will look like.

The all-electric SUV is expected to get a battery pack mounted on the floor and the range is said to be around 483 km. Variants with larger batteries with a range of around 547 km could be offered as well. Power output is said to be more than 400 BHP. Suspension, aero and handling characteristics could be taken from other Ford Performance products like the Mustang GT500 and the Ford GT.

The car will be revealed on November 17, 2019 and could compete with the Tesla Model Y.

The Ford Mustang Mach-E-mustang-ev-1.jpg

The Ford Mustang Mach-E-mustang-ev-3.jpg

The Ford Mustang Mach-E-mustang-ev-4.jpg

Link to Team-BHP News

Source

Quite interested to see how this turns out because Ford usually gets its designs bang on. Might be a crossover, but it clearly has some GT-lines (like the BMW GTs) on the rear end.

Am keen to know how this compares to the Teslas in terms of performance. Guess this is Ford's first attempt at a full-fledged EV.

Ford Mustang-Inspired Electric Crossover Spied.

The first actual Mustang-inspired EV will be revealed on November 17 ahead of the Los Angeles Auto Show.

The Ford Mustang Mach-E-mustanginspiredevcrossoverspyshot-1.jpg

The Ford Mustang Mach-E-mustanginspiredevcrossoverspyshot.jpg

The Ford Mustang Mach-E-mustanginspiredevcrossoverspyshot-2.jpg

The Ford Mustang Mach-E-mustanginspiredevcrossoverspyshot-3.jpg

Link

Ford’s Mustang Mach-E :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRVR...ature=emb_logo

Quote:

What does Mach mean?

A powerful four-letter word … it inspired Ford to design a performance car that looked like it could deliver a sonic boom … and upped the pony car ante.

Born in the rebellious 60s…

Mustang was already an icon, but it needed a boost for a younger crowd, hungry for speed and performance with looks that stood out.

More than 50 years after the Mustang turned the industry on its head, a new horse is joining the stable, sharing the iconic Mach name.

An all-electric, zero-emission game changer delivering guilt-free performance for the next generation of thrill seekers.

The newest member of the Mustang Family,

Mustang Mach-E.
Teaser:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-et3...ature=emb_logo

Link

Every minute detail about Ford Mach-E leaked before it reveal on 17th November. Leaks are from official ford website before its taken down. Based on these leaks, looks like they are directly pitting it against Tesla Model Y. Performance, range and price seems to be matching with Model Y numbers. Charging speed seems to be low though.

Official Ford website link (Its taken down now):
https://www.ford.com/powertrains/battery-electric-vehicles/mach-e/"]https://www.ford.com/powertrains/bat...hicles/mach-e/[/url]

All the screenshots which includes specs, variants and pricing are the below link:
https://www.macheforum.com/site/thre...-video-etc.49/

The Ford Mustang Mach-E-e1.png

The Ford Mustang Mach-E-e2.png

The Ford Mustang Mach-E-e3.png

The Ford Mustang Mach-E-e4.png

The Ford Mustang Mach-E-i1.png

First look video from Top Gear -

https://youtu.be/QA-qgSB076c

Ford unveiled Mustang Mach-E all-electric SUV. They also opened reservations in USA with deliveries starting at the end of 2020 for first edition models and early 2021 for all other variants.

Base price starts at $43,895 and will have 75.7 kWh battery with 230 miles of range and 0-60 mph times of mid 6 seconds. AWD variant of same base models costs $2,700 more with range of 210 miles and mid 5 second 0-60 mph times. Biggest battery capacity is 98.8 kWh which gives ~300 miles of range.

Official website (USA):
https://www.ford.com/suvs/mach-e/2021/

The Ford Mustang Mach-E-machefe.png

The Ford Mustang Mach-E-premium.png

The Ford Mustang Mach-E-ca.png

Interior:
The Ford Mustang Mach-E-int.jpg

Frunk:
The Ford Mustang Mach-E-frunk.jpg

GT trim:
The Ford Mustang Mach-E-gt.jpg

Ford seems to be directly pitting the Mach E against upcoming Tesla Model Y. Ford base model has a good starting price ($43,895) and ford also has advantage of $7,500 federal tax credit which makes the base price a compelling $36,395. Tesla exceeded the 200,000 limit so they will not have the tax advantage.

Ford Mach E Vs Tesla Model Y comparison also shows how much efficient Tesla vehicles are. Mach E GT model has 98.8 kWh battery but has only 250 miles of range while Model Y has 75 kWh battery but has 280 miles of range. Both are expected to have similar performance based on official specs. Means, Model Y has 25% smaller battery but still has 30 miles more range.

Mach E vs Model Y:
The Ford Mustang Mach-E-machevsmodely.png

Here's the playback of the world debut of the Mustang Mach E just revealed in LA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0F9Uktpgtk

And the website with all its features listed is live now:

https://www.ford.com/suvs/mach-e/2021/

Other notable points aside from key features mentioned in the website

1. Five models of GT, First Edition, California Route 1, Select & Premium with sticker price range of $ 43,895 - 60,900
2. 270 miles est EPA AWD range aside from the 300 miles RWD range.
3. Next gen SYNC
4. One of the best charging networks partnering with ElectrifyAmerica in USA and Ionity in Europe.
5. Co-Pilot 360 2.0
6. B&O Sound System

Cheers,
Vijay

Quote:

Originally Posted by sri_tesla (Post 4694647)
Mach E vs Model Y:
Attachment 1935804

Quick question on the pricing comparo - is this with or without the federal tax credit included?

@ Mods - apologies and kindly merge my back to back posts.

Cheers,
Vijay

Bye-bye Tesla! Model Y has competition before it hits the market. Wonder what they have cooking to combat the Model 3.
Edit:
The configurator is live for Ford UK, so RHD models could someday come to India too. They should get this to India before Tesla tries to enter the market. Claimed range is greater for the RWD model is 370 miles for the WLTP cycle.
https://www.ford.co.uk/cars/mustang-mach-e

Well, this brings in some clarity -

Source

Cheers,
Vijay

Quote:

Ford Mach E Vs Tesla Model Y comparison also shows how much efficient Tesla vehicles are. Mach E GT model has 98.8 kWh battery but has only 250 miles of range while Model Y has 75 kWh battery but has 280 miles of range. Both are expected to have similar performance based on official specs. Means, Model Y has 25% smaller battery but still has 30 miles more range.

By the time Model Y hits the streets expect further battery improvements, so Tesla's edge in range will only increase.
But the question is who will start delivering first, tesla is schedule to deliver in summer of 2020, while Ford is scheduled to deliver late 2020.

Quote:

I don't think it is about efficiency. Typically, you never use 100% capacity of a battery, you always leave a little on the table to prevent the car from losing range after prolonged usage over duty cycles. For eg. the Audi e-tron only uses 88% of it's battery capacity. It's a well known fact that Tesla pushes their battery harder (95%?). Hence they get more range and stupendous performance.

Alternatively, there have also been a few instances where Tesla has reduced the range of its cars to increase battery longevity.
https://electrek.co/2019/06/20/tesla...ate-longevity/
https://www.mercurynews.com/2019/08/...-life-decline/

Initial observations and thoughts:

1. The Name
BIG, BIG gamble taken by Ford here by naming it a Mustang. On the one hand, Mustang name-plate / brand resonates best across the world among all things Ford, and the US market in general wants crossovers and SUVs, not sedans - so this marriage seems perfect. But on the other hand, the brand Mustang represents something very pure, very emotive, very V8 muscle-car-ish - slapping the horse badge onto a crossover/SUV is sure to alienate a very large number of folks. I guess only the market will answer the question of whether this was a good decision, based on the number of people who buy this car.

Another point - would've been massively cheeky if they had opted for "Mustang Model E" - ultimate punch at Tesla after denying them the Model E name. Just kidding haha lol:

Already seeing this hashtag trending a lot:
The Ford Mustang Mach-E-snap47.jpg

2. Exterior Design
I love it, overall. Striking design for a crossover, once you get over the "Mustang" name and all the sexy sedan/coupe styling that name evokes. Love the way they've achieved a coupe-like line on the rear by painting it body colour, whereas the actual roof (painted black) is a bit taller. One of my major compaints about the Model Y design is the non-boxy rear end - I like my wannabe SUVs to at least look like an SUV.

Note the dual-tone paint on the roofline towards the rear which achieves the coupe-ish effect.
The Ford Mustang Mach-E-snap53.jpg
The Ford Mustang Mach-E-2021fordmustangmacheinwhiterearsideview.jpg

3. Interior Design
Spacious as expected, love the volume knob on the center screen - there's been many studies about ergonomics issues with big touchscreen (specifically, there's no "Datum resting position" from which a user can easily reach the controls without having to look at them). With this physical volume knob approach, there's now a datum position from which muscle memory can take over for frequently used touchscreen controls. Apart from that, I like the sleek instrument cluster in front of the driver, non-intrusive yet gives the required driver information unlike some other *cough-Model3* vehicles.

Overall design-wise, I feel like they have managed to take the good bits from the Tesla design (minimalist, screen-dependent interface, OTA) and improved on all the bad things (knob on touchscreen, sunglasses holder, two screens, what looks like hopefully manual door release levers, grab handles - Tesla shockingly doesn't have any, and so on).

The Ford Mustang Mach-E-2021fordmustangmacheinteriorfromside.jpg
The Ford Mustang Mach-E-2021fordmustangmacheinteriornearocean.jpg

3. Pricing
Ford has one big advantage and one big disadvantage here. Advantage is the up to $7500 tax credit, which is like a post-dated discount (money only comes back after filing tax returns). Disadvantage is that Ford still has the dealership model, which means the prices unveiled today may or may not have a dealer markup on them when the car finally hits the showrooms. The dealing with dealerships will definitely sour the experience for many, since dealers will be less incentivized to sell an EV which doesn't require as much servicing, and thus is less profitable for them down the line. Hence I suspect there will be a markup on the initial price. Will be interesting to see what happens.

4. Performance and efficiency
Definitely not quite there yet with respect to the Tesla Model Y, but Tesla has had a tremendous head start. So I respect Ford for coming up with this design within two years - hugely commendable and a very great engineering feat to achieve 300 miles from a 100 kw-hr battery pack (that's almost Model X category but I'm okay with it). I expect performance and efficiency to get better with newer iterations down the road.

Ford is offering fast charing at 130 kW for standard battery and 150 kW for extended range battery - not as impressive as Tesla with 250 kW, but again, this is the first iteration - even Tesla had started with 150 kW, and Model S and Model X still have a 150 kW cap on supercharging speeds. Of course, the charging network is another issue altogether, but I hope that Ford's partnership with Electrify America will help in this regard.

5. Others points
Controversial door handles - TopGear said that Ford's customer surveys lead to the addition of the handle on the front door, and the rear door doesn't get any all. Apparently the "official" way to open the door is to stick your hand behind it after pressing the door release button on the B or C pillar. That said, I've always liked the PIN code thing Ford has on its cars, wish Tesla could do that - true key-less entry and drive-away, no key fob or even Phone key necessary! (According to TopGear, you can enter your 4-digit code on the B-pillar to unlock the car, then enter another 4- or x-digit passcode on the center touchscreen to start the car and drive away.)

The Ford Mustang Mach-E-emustang.jpg

Loved the frunk, interesting take on making it rugged and mud-friendly
The Ford Mustang Mach-E-2021fordmustangmachefrunkopen.jpg

Charging socket - saw only SAE J1772, don't see a CCS port - maybe the two additional pins are hidden under that small cover? Or maybe this is just a pre-production design and the production models will ship with the right charging ports (US CCS vs European CCS vs Chinese whatever)
The Ford Mustang Mach-E-2021fordmustangmachechargedooropen.jpg

Big glass roof - Can't tell you how much I love the glass roof on my Model 3 - the UV coating helps keep it colder in hot weather, and a properly made glass roof like the Tesla's is much safer than a metal one - pretty much all cars use the thinnest possible sheet metal for the roof.
The Ford Mustang Mach-E-2021fordmustangmacheinteriorglassroof.jpg

Quick note to those used to Tesla pricing system - the trim levels have their own starting price (eg Select at $43k, Premium at $50k, California Rt1 at $52k, First Edition at $59k, GT at $60k). But all of these prices are with the standard 75 kW-hr battery and RWD. To get AWD and 98 kW-hr, its $2700 and $5000 extra respectively.

Final thoughts

I think Ford has a winner here. The purists are going to scream #notamustang all day long, but those with families and more practical needs (basically a majority of the car-buyers) are going to see this as their way to fulfill their childhood dream to own a "Mustang". For those, it adds to the appeal of the car. But for those already owning a Mustang, or in the market for one, and those who are die-hard petrol-heads, this dilutes the appeal of the car and is like a slap in the face. This, I believe, is the fundamental question with the car - one that only the market can collectively answer. I myself could see myself easily buying this if I had the money and need for a bigger car. Wishing Ford all the best for a successful product!

Ford’s new EV will likely come to India by 2021 via the CBU route; will rival the Audi e-tron and Jaguar I-Pace.
Quote:

Ford’s first electric SUV – the Mustang-inspired Mach-E – is set to be launched in India by 2021. Revealed recently in full, the Mustang Mach-E will come to our shores via the CBU route, so it will surely be one expensive EV. It will, however, benefit from the lower GST rate for EVs.

At this time, it’s unclear which of the two battery options will be available with the Mach-E when it comes to our market. In international markets, the entry-level model features a single motor driving the rear wheels – either a 75kWh battery and 258hp motor, or a 99kWh battery and 289hp motor; both producing 416Nm of torque. Ford claims a 0-100kph time of under 8sec and a WLTP range of around either 450km or 595km, respectively, for this model.

The twin-motor, all-wheel-drive version of the Mach-E is offered in 75kWh battery and 258hp or 99kWh and 337hp forms; both versions produce 582Nm and have a claimed sub-7sec, 0-100kph time, with estimated ranges of 419km and 540km, respectively. All models have their top speed limited to 179kph.
Source: Autocar India

According to a media report, Ford is likely to launch the Mustang Mach-E electric SUV in India by 2021. It is expected to be imported as a completely built unit (CBU).

The Ford Mustang Mach-E-mache1.jpg

The Mustang Mach-E was unveiled earlier this month. The car borrows styling cues from the Mustang sports car and features triple-pod headlights at the front with a closed grille and a coupe-like roofline. At the rear, it has tri-bar tail lights.

The Ford Mustang Mach-E-mache2.jpg

On the inside, the 5-seater comes with a multi-function steering wheel, a digital instrument cluster and a 15.5-inch vertical touchscreen head unit.

The Ford Mustang Mach-E-mache3.jpg

In the international market, the Mach-E comes with two battery options including a 75.7 kWh and 98.8 kWh with an estimated range of at least 483 km on a single charge.

Source

Link to Team-BHP News