Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd November 2019, 17:12   #16
BHPian

Re: Rumour: GM to revive Hummer brand with EV pickups, SUVs

Well, electric is the way to go. These days most people want to reduce carbon footprint. Even the man who introduced Hummer to Civilians "Arnold schwarzenegger" sold 6 out is 7 hummer and converted the remaining one to run Diesel. Source
Old 31st January 2020, 08:06   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

The Hummer is coming back as a 1,000-horsepower electric truck.

Name:  11.PNG
Views: 1704
Size:  221.5 KB

General Motors has confirmed it’s resurrecting the Hummer nameplate for a new all-electric truck that will have 1,000 horsepower on offer and go from 0 to 60 miles per hour in three seconds, according to new teaser images and videos released today.
The new electric Hummer truck will break cover during a Super Bowl ad this coming Sunday, and will be treated to a full reveal on May 20th. It’s due out in late 2021.

Last edited by volkman10 : 31st January 2020 at 08:16.
volkman10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th July 2020, 22:53   #18
BHPian

GM to launch Hummer EV (SUV & Truck)

Link to the article - https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a3...-truck-teaser/

Quote:
GMC also continues to tease the look of the new Hummers, this time with outlines showing the shape of the truck and SUV bodies. The truck appears to be a crew-cab, short-box configuration with a squared-off front end. The SUV is a boxy four-door with aggressive fender flares and an external spare tire on the rear. Both appear to have aggressive off-road tires.

We know that GMC plans to offer one-, two-, and three-motor versions of these new trucks, with top models producing around 1000 horsepower and going from zero to 60 mph in a claimed 3.0 seconds. General Motors' new Ultium battery packs will be available in various sizes. The Hummers will also offer removable roof panels, the Super Cruise semi-autonomous driving system, and driving modes that GMC refers to as "Adrenaline mode" and "Crab mode."
With the limited information released to the public, i think it will be a great rival to the upcoming Rivians.
vj123 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th July 2020, 08:58   #19
BHPian

Re: GM to launch Hummer EV (SUV & Truck)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vj123 View Post
Link to the article - https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a3...-truck-teaser/

With the limited information released to the public, i think it will be a great rival to the upcoming Rivians.

The competition will be there, but Rivian is far ahead of GM. As per the info, the start of production is supposed to happen by 2021 which means the car is still in development whereas Rivian has completed and revealed 95% of the vehicle development.

One advantage GM can use to exploit the market will be mass production and quality preservation. This is where all startup's lack. So I hope GM is very serious about this project and create some good competition by prioritizing their strong points.
starke is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2020, 16:33   #20
Senior - BHPian

Re: GM to revive Hummer brand with EV pickups, SUVs

Perfect! No SUV comes anywhere near Hummer in that macho butch looks. Makes perfect sense to go EV. SUVs are all about torque. EVs are all about torque right off the bat. So, why not? And, goes zero to hero in 3 seconds? Will shock the daylights out of the other motorists who see this take off from traffic lights.
Old 30th July 2020, 18:23   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassem View Post
Hummer would be the perfect name for an electric vehicle because..

wait for it...

It just hums..

I just couldn't hold it back. Sorry guys.
I was about to write the same!
Old 30th July 2020, 22:48   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by starke View Post
The competition will be there, but Rivian is far ahead of GM. As per the info, the start of production is supposed to happen by 2021 which means the car is still in development whereas Rivian has completed and revealed 95% of the vehicle development.

One advantage GM can use to exploit the market will be mass production and quality preservation. This is where all startup's lack. So I hope GM is very serious about this project and create some good competition by prioritizing their strong points.
Rivian was established more than a decade ago and they have been developing these vehicles for a very long time even before revealing them to the public. They are well ahead in the race and will definitely be a benchmark in the segment.

But one cannot underestimate a big dog like GM with their amount of resources and experience just because they are late in the game. By reviving the Hummer badge, they let the world know that they are pretty serious about this vehicle and want to lock horns with Rivian unlike the other big American OEMs - Ford is taking a softer route with Mach E and Stellantis is not planning EV truck as of now. This thread has a pretty good timeline of this project - start of rumors, official release, vehicle reveal and launch. Even with covid interruptions, this kinda of development timeline is extremely aggressive for a huge OEM like GM and they will be coming out with blazing guns with this project.
vj123 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st July 2020, 09:09   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Rivian was established more than a decade ago and they have been developing these vehicles for a very long time even before revealing them to the public. They are well ahead in the race and will definitely be a benchmark in the segment.

But one cannot underestimate a big dog like GM with their amount of resources and experience just because they are late in the game. By reviving the Hummer badge, they let the world know that they are pretty serious about this vehicle and want to lock horns with Rivian, unlike the other big American OEMs - Ford is taking a softer route with Mach E and Stellantis is not planning EV truck as of now. This thread has a pretty good timeline of this project - the start of rumors, official release, vehicle reveal and launch. Even with covid interruptions, this kinda of development timeline is extremely aggressive for a huge OEM like GM and they will be coming out with blazing guns with this project.
What you said is true, but GM started this project a while back. As like all OEMs, the project timeline from pre-concept to SoP is min 2.5 to 3 years. I have got some insider information long back in 2017 about an electric SUV in planning at GM side. I agree with you the point on the high resource availability advantage of a big OEM like GM, but on another side, it is a curse too. Long development time and less innovation is something drag an OEM, where startups do not. (I have been through multiple startups and now at an OEM, I miss those aggressive work strategy)

Quality and consistency will be the key factor for GM, price it well and the large dealer/service network will add a lot of weight to it.
Old 31st July 2020, 09:42   #24
Senior - BHPian

Hummer Electric Pickup clay model.

GM to revive Hummer brand with EV pickups, SUVs-smartselect_20200731093948_chrome.jpg

Hummer Electric battery pack.

GM to revive Hummer brand with EV pickups, SUVs-smartselect_20200731093958_chrome.jpg

Quiet Revolutionaries

https://www.rushlane.com/electric-hu...-12369750.html

Last edited by Venkatesh : 31st July 2020 at 09:44.
Venkatesh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st July 2020, 17:51   #25
BHPian

Quote:
What you said is true, but GM started this project a while back. As like all OEMs, the project timeline from pre-concept to SoP is min 2.5 to 3 years. I have got some insider information long back in 2017 about an electric SUV in planning at GM side.
Rumors started then but not the real work. I cant say more as i am a part of this vehicle development.

Quote:
I agree with you the point on the high resource availability advantage of a big OEM like GM, but on another side, it is a curse too. Long development time and less innovation is something drag an OEM, where startups do not. (I have been through multiple startups and now at an OEM, I miss those aggressive work strategy)
Yeah very true. But I think GM management wants to address these exact issues faced by huge OEMs with this project and set the facts right for their competitors.
vj123 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st July 2020, 18:33   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Rumors started then but not the real work. I cant say more as i am a part of this vehicle development.
Cool, so we get more authentic information here

Quote:
Yeah very true. But I think GM management wants to address these exact issues faced by huge OEMs with this project and set the facts right for their competitors.
Yes, every OEMs have started stepping up their game and conventional process timelines.

US market will be something to watch for in the coming few years, Nissan is coming up with Ariya and some full size SUVs on EV tech, Cybertruck, F-150 and my favourite R1T.

I have booked TD for R1T, hope the covid situation gets better soon
starke is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st July 2020, 19:38   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Cool, so we get more authentic information here
Hahaha, i wish!

Quote:
Yes, every OEMs have started stepping up their game and conventional process timelines.

US market will be something to watch for in the coming few years, Nissan is coming up with Ariya and some full size SUVs on EV tech, Cybertruck, F-150 and my favourite R1T.

I have booked TD for R1T, hope the covid situation gets better soon
Rivians products have definitely upped the game. I would love to know on your first impressions after the test drive and it would be great if you can update us.

Few people whom i know from university & workplace have moved to Rivian and it looks like a great workplace.
vj123 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st July 2020, 20:01   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Hahaha, i wish!

Rivians products have definitely upped the game. I would love to know on your first impressions after the test drive and it would be great if you can update us.

Few people whom i know from university & workplace have moved to Rivian and it looks like a great workplace.
Yes, their work environment is so cool. I received a job offer last year from them and the communication itself was so satisfying. Felt like i was already in, but dropped the same and chose another OEM due to the H1-B issues.

With all these investments and support from the majors, R1T should come out as a flagship i hope.
starke is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2020, 14:59   #29
BHPian

As it turns out, the torque figure of 1,500 lb-ft is actually misleading (link)
Old 15th August 2020, 00:12   #30
Senior - BHPian

General Motors filed an application for a trademark for a logo showing Hummer EV in the United States.

GM to revive Hummer brand with EV pickups, SUVs-smartselect_20200815001623_chrome.jpg

GM to revive Hummer brand with EV pickups, SUVs-smartselect_20200815001056_chrome.jpg

https://www.motor1.com/news/439168/h...ogo-trademark/

Last edited by Venkatesh : 15th August 2020 at 00:17.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks